05. Lonely Winds Of War
06. The Dark Road
07. The Sun Is In Your Hands
08. The Black One
09. Blue Europa
10. Under The Moon
11. Kisses From You [Limited Edition bonus]
12. Never Walk Alone [Japanese bonus]

I have no words. All I have is a funny little dance that involves massive amounts of air guitar, some air drums, and an amazing Jorn Lande impersonation (seriously amazing). Ok, time to come up with some words after all, since I don't think posting a video of me rocking out will adequately explain Masterplan's Time To Be King.

What this album does is drag you around by your hair for a bit as a gentle reminder that Masterplan is alive and kicking - and that Jorn Lande is back! The incredible Norwegian vocalist rejoined Masterplan last year and the boys have been cooking up this album ever since. The all-star lineup certainly knows how to pull their weight, and strong performances are given by all; these are seasoned players who know how to rock. In terms of intensity it's reminiscent of Aeronautics, the band's spectacular 2005 album with Jorn, yet it's definitely NOT Aeronautics part deux. Time To Be King is immediately its own album with memorable songs to explore and a harder hitting style than you may remember.

If you're new to Masterplan then now is the time to start. What this band does is present a near perfect blend of classic power metal with achingly beautiful music that makes you clutch your heart with one hand and make "the claw" with the other. The title track is an example of this interplay when Axel Mackenrott's keyboards come plunging into the song's simple classic feel and making it suddenly heavy with mood. While we're on the subject of individual songs, try to pick up your copy of this album with the bonus track "Kisses From You." It's a tribute to Queen, and shows a very playful side of Masterplan.

As I alluded to in the first paragraph, it's really tough to sit still during this album. It's not that it's necessarily so fast... it is fast but more importantly it grooves well, the melodies are interesting, and the rhythms are infectious. From the first unmistakably Masterplan-sounding riffs of the opening track and Jorn's animalistic yell of "Yeaaaaaah Yeah!" all the way through to the end, you may find yourself inadvertently rocking out and definitely singing along.

Written on 28.07.2010 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 20   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 316 users
28.07.2010 - 16:38
Rating: 9
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Awesome album, definitely a worthy successor to Aeronautics! Blue Europa, The Black One, and Fiddle of Time are my favorites!
28.07.2010 - 20:49
Rating: 6
Zenzero
Zenzero
I don't like it.... i think i'll listen to it more times to see if you're right!
29.07.2010 - 15:11
Rating: 7
The first time I listened to it I wasn't really impressed but the more time I gave it, the more I liked it. For me definitely an album that needs some time
29.07.2010 - 15:38
Rating: 8
MeloDeathViking
I like the album, but was actually disappointed. Aeronautics is one of my favorite albums, and I thought that this just didn't live up to that standard. Maybe it grow on my over time. Not a bad album, just not as good as I was expecting. Kisses from you is an absolutely awesome song. If there was one band that could pull off a Queen tribute album by themselves, it'd be Masterplan.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
29.07.2010 - 15:44
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Like dragonfire1603 said, this album does take a bit of time to grow on you. Especially if you're a big Aeronautics devotee like I am! Of course nothing can ever top albums that we have an emotional connection to, but give this release a few more spins and I'm sure you'll see it's worthy
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
29.07.2010 - 16:38
BudDa
Elite
Erm..is this (Japanese?!) edition of "Time To Be King" different from the others in terms of song arrangement.(or it was just a mistake made on this site). This one seems all jumbled up from the one I own. i.e the self titled track is no. 4, "Lonely winds of War" is no. 5 etc etc..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
29.07.2010 - 17:17
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Why are there no ratings?
29.07.2010 - 20:04
BlankFile
An awsome release from Masterplan with Jorn Lande back on track! This album requires a few listenings to really grow on you. Once it grows, it becomes spectacular! Time to Be King, The Dark Road, Lonely Winds of War, Blue Europa and Fiddle of Time are my favourites of the CD. Stay Metal |m|
29.07.2010 - 23:11
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Interesting review. I haven't heard of this album yet but I think I'll want this after all.
I was little sceptic after MK II, but since Jorn is back I might give them another shot. My favourite album is their first. Songs like 'Spirit Never Die', 'Kind Hearted Light' and 'Crystal Night' are the ones that really got me into them. I just hope this album have some resemblance to those great songs.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
30.07.2010 - 01:56
opeth771
I don't see the hate for this album, it is awesome. It DOES feel weird at first but after a few listens, it really start to dig in! And OMG, isn't it nice to see Jorn back! This band is nothing without Jorn imo!
30.07.2010 - 15:24
Baz Anderson
Staff
Although it has grown on me, I still don't like it anywhere near as much as the first two.
30.07.2010 - 18:29
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Thanks for the review. I've forgotten that Masterplan has a new album out and I like it. The songs are quite ordinary, but Lande just breathes so much life into them it sounds damn awesome. At the moment, I prefer it over Aeronautics
----
loves 小巫
31.07.2010 - 11:23
Adus11
An amazing album. Lonely Winds of War and The Dark Road are my favorites. They have a great sound only intensified by Jorn's terrific vocals.
01.08.2010 - 04:48
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I thought this is their best album to date. It took me a couple listens to come to that conclusion though. As soon as I heard jorn was back I knew it would be great but this definitely outlived my expectations. Awesome album.
09.08.2010 - 20:01
fade
Son of Sweden
Staff
Written by Susan on 29.07.2010 at 15:44

Like dragonfire1603 said, this album does take a bit of time to grow on you. Especially if you're a big Aeronautics devotee like I am! Of course nothing can ever top albums that we have an emotional connection to, but give this release a few more spins and I'm sure you'll see it's worthy

I guess it is still growing on me but I have put it down for now. The new BG has me by the reins.
----
The troubles of avoiding horseshit.
My Music database: http://www.racksandtags.com/northernsky/
01.10.2010 - 08:01
fade
Son of Sweden
Staff
These guys have been dead to me since Uli left! Nice review Susan! It is a good album but this drummer just cannot pull off what Uli can do.

Now when is that video of you rocking out to be released?
----
23.10.2010 - 21:30
opeth771
Written by fade on 01.10.2010 at 08:01

These guys have been dead to me since Uli left! Nice review Susan! It is a good album but this drummer just cannot pull off what Uli can do.

Now when is that video of you rocking out to be released?

Mike Terrana is one of the best drummers in the world... How can you say such thing?
27.10.2010 - 20:44
fade
Son of Sweden
Staff
It was pretty simple.
----
23.07.2011 - 17:54
mohammedMG
This is one of their best and one of the best albums in my life like many people i did't like it from the first listen but i realized something that all people should do they should give the albums a couple of tries so that they can find out if it's good or bad
20.09.2013 - 12:16
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Wanna see video! Wanna see dance!
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"

Hits total: 8579 | This month: 14