AFM Records

Line-up on the CD:
Christian Älvestam - vocals
Tom Gardiner - guitars
Jani Stefanovic - guitars
Anders Edlund - bass
Mikko Härkin - keyboards
Rolf Pilve - drums

Torchbearer, Miseration, Incapacity, The Few Against Many, formerly Scar Symmetry, and now Solution .45. Needless to say, Christian Älvestam is obviously a very busy man.

One might be so inclined as to call him a genius. What For Aeons Past proves, if anything, is that Älvestam may well be one of the most talented vocalists still contributing to the scene, but even a voice this strong can't save an album from incredibly generic guitar leads, conventional song structures, monotonous drumming, subdued keyboard passages... Basically this album is Sweden's demonstration of how a lack of musical prowess can cripple an otherwise monumental performance on behalf of a multi-dimensional vocalist. Think Geddy Lee in front of Diminished with archetypal melodies.

Ya, that crippling.

Älvestam and his cohorts are so far apart in terms of musical proficiency I can't even begin to imagine how this band was labeled a supergroup. Usually such distinctions are bestowed upon bands that are comprised of a handful of established musicians. The problem with Solution .45 is that the only member deserving of praise for his efforts is the vocalist - the rest of the musicians can't keep up playing follow the leader and fade into obscurity before the third track gets under way.

Don't get me wrong - For Aeons Past is filled with energy, carried by Pilve's rapid pace (monotonous, but rapid) behind the kit and extremely catchy with its semi-Natural Born Chaos chugging worship, an added aggression that doesn't exactly buoy Älvestam's talent, but even with the extremity factor the music on this release is too neutral.

Oh, and then of course there's everybody's favorite song: "Clandestinity Now". An indisputable beast of a closer, this is what the band should have focused on creating throughout the entire album. Again the musicianship is anything but outstanding, but the instruments seem to work with Älvestam this time around - a bit late considering it's the final track on the album.

With this much room for improvement, it's hard to say what Älvestam will do. Both Mikko Härkin and Jani Stefanovic are out, and Patrik Gardberg is in (surprise - he plays in Torchbearer and The Few Against Many with Älvestam, so don't expect much of a change).

Either everyone goes back to the drawing board, or everyone simply goes home. These over-sugared melodic death metal outfits can no longer survive off the "celebrity" status of a single member anymore, even with the guarantee of several followers blindly deeming every release of said celebrity a masterpiece. There needs to be cohesion, that little thing called teamwork, for an album to make a lasting impression on a metal community with ever-rising standards.

We are oft to blame in this, ?
'Tis too much prov'd, ? that with devotion's visage,
And pious action, we do sugar o'er
The devil himself.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 04.08.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 57   Visited by: 373 users
06.08.2010 - 04:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Wes on 05.08.2010 at 18:39

...but its a flawed review nonetheless...

Care to elaborate on that thought?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.08.2010 - 18:54
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Oh well I still love the album, it depends what you wanna get out of it. I listen to different bands for different reasons and for wanting to experience different things depending on the mood Im in. We all know this is a severely vocal-driven album, but for me thats fine because with this particular band thats enough for me. The same way I still listen to Abba and Simon&Garfunkel because their vocal harmonies are of the best ever....it doesnt mean Im in love with pop music now that I listen to Abba, it all rides on the fact that theres something in their music that I think is fucking awesome and thats good enough for me.

I happen to enjoy Christian's vocals with S45 more than Scar Symmetry as to me it feels he had more freedom....and therefor that is enough for me. Sure there arent as many killer solos and song structure as in Scar Symmetry but so what? I didnt buy this album to view it as a 5th SS album I bought it for the reasons explained.

So thats why Im fine with giving this a 10.
06.08.2010 - 18:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
A 10 for a metal album that you'd listen to for the same reason as listening to Simon & Garfunkel?

I fear popular metal music is worse than I thought. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.08.2010 - 00:23
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Dont use the words I said out of context.......I was speaking of the quality of vocals and vocal melodies (harmonising), you make it seem as if I compared the bands head on musically. And before you misunderstand me again, when I "compare" them its more symbolic in that its uplifting to me, regardless of it being metal or not.

Maybe next time I will write shorter sentences so you can come to grips with what I actually mean. And who gives a crap if I gave it a 10? I think the vocals are fucking rad and thats pretty much what I wanted out of this album from the start.
07.08.2010 - 05:04
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 07.08.2010 at 00:23

And who gives a crap if I gave it a 10? I think the vocals are fucking rad and thats pretty much what I wanted out of this album from the start.

i find that comment amusing given your meltdown about someone scoring it a "2"...

Written by Guest on 28.04.2010 at 19:34

Pity that one fucktard gave it 2/10....pretty sure he didnt even listen to the album. Because if he did Im pretty sure his rating would be better. I mean seriously....9/10 for new Eluveitie and 2/10 for this? come on...

... I guess we're not supposed to concern ourselves with your motives, but you can refer to people whose tastes differ from yours as "fucktards"? If anything making disparaging remarks like that sort of opens your own position on the same album to criticism.

And this is made even more amusing given the "1" hatchet job you did to the new Overkill, Exodus, and Heathen albums. May I ask, did you even listen to those albums? A 10 for this, and 1's for those albums? "come on..."

But this a 10 because all you wanted was "rad vocals"? Talk about lowered expectations. I wonder what you'd score this album if they ditched the bassist and added a 3rd guitarist*? go Spinal Tap and crank it up to 11?

Thanks for keeping me heartily amused with your wit, wisdom, and obviously superior musical tastes!

Written by Guest on 14.12.2009 at 20:09

Favourite metal bassist?

Who really gives a crap about bassists? Unless you're a whale and can hear a seal take a shit from 10 miles away then you might care who the best bassist is. I can possibly recall hearing bass maybe 5 times in the music I listen to...and even then I wont mind them being replaced by a third guitarist. I think theres only a bassist in a metal band because the instrument has fat strings and kinda looks cool. Other than that I hardly see the point...or maybe my ears are just fucked from listening too much music - either way who cares.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.08.2010 - 08:34
Rating: 7
Aetherius

I liked the music a lot but wasnt a big fan of the vocals. Good review though.
07.08.2010 - 11:36
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 07.08.2010 at 05:04

Written by Guest on 07.08.2010 at 00:23

And who gives a crap if I gave it a 10? I think the vocals are fucking rad and thats pretty much what I wanted out of this album from the start.

i find that comment amusing given your meltdown about someone scoring it a "2"...

Written by Guest on 28.04.2010 at 19:34

Pity that one fucktard gave it 2/10....pretty sure he didnt even listen to the album. Because if he did Im pretty sure his rating would be better. I mean seriously....9/10 for new Eluveitie and 2/10 for this? come on...

... I guess we're not supposed to concern ourselves with your motives, but you can refer to people whose tastes differ from yours as "fucktards"? If anything making disparaging remarks like that sort of opens your own position on the same album to criticism.

And this is made even more amusing given the "1" hatchet job you did to the new Overkill, Exodus, and Heathen albums. May I ask, did you even listen to those albums? A 10 for this, and 1's for those albums? "come on..."

But this a 10 because all you wanted was "rad vocals"? Talk about lowered expectations. I wonder what you'd score this album if they ditched the bassist and added a 3rd guitarist*? go Spinal Tap and crank it up to 11?

Thanks for keeping me heartily amused with your wit, wisdom, and obviously superior musical tastes!

Written by Guest on 14.12.2009 at 20:09

Favourite metal bassist?

Who really gives a crap about bassists? Unless you're a whale and can hear a seal take a shit from 10 miles away then you might care who the best bassist is. I can possibly recall hearing bass maybe 5 times in the music I listen to...and even then I wont mind them being replaced by a third guitarist. I think theres only a bassist in a metal band because the instrument has fat strings and kinda looks cool. Other than that I hardly see the point...or maybe my ears are just fucked from listening too much music - either way who cares.

Well I did actually listen to those albums, perhaps I will steer clear of listening to thrash because it is my least favourite genre. Then again the rating system has been a farce from the start - so perhaps I just decided to participate in the same farcical manner.

And what the fuck does this have to do with my comment about bassists? Seriously dude, if you have to scratch around in my comments for taking me on then thats pretty funny. We all know everyone in this forum ESPECIALLY you think your opinion is law and we've learned this ages ago that comments like "you give this 10 but that 1" is absolutely fucking ridiculous because I hate pretty much everything you listen to and you always have an opinion on things I listen to.

So really...the point youre trying to make is fucking dumb. Just deal with it, we're never going to enjoy the same music and thats about it. And it will always be reflected in the way I vote for albums.
07.08.2010 - 12:36
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Dammit, I rate this album 5.5... I sense Enola Gay flying towards my city.
08.08.2010 - 12:22
Rating: 10
VanHelsing

Perhaps the music isn't outstanding, but I think it blends perfectly with Christian's vocal job (which is impressive), so I guess I'm in the minority here 'cause I gave this album a 10.

Still; the review is pretty accurate when separating the instruments, I guess without Älvestam it wouldn't even go past the 5 mark, but again, I think that when joining it with the vocals it just feels right.

Good review anyway, even if I disagree
----
-V
08.08.2010 - 22:56
Asat0r

The first time I listened to this album, I would have agreed with this review. But after listening to it in depth, it's really grown on me. I'm a pretty big fan of it now. Yes, it's not incredibly original, and Christian is definitely the star of the show. But it's still a solid album in my opinion.
09.08.2010 - 01:44
Promonex
Cathemeral
Spot on! Here's to the average Canadian
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
09.08.2010 - 06:25
Rating: 6
Thanntos

Written by Asat0r on 08.08.2010 at 22:56

The first time I listened to this album, I would have agreed with this review. But after listening to it in depth, it's really grown on me. I'm a pretty big fan of it now. Yes, it's not incredibly original, and Christian is definitely the star of the show. But it's still a solid album in my opinion.

That's actually not saying much nor is it giving the band much credit. Saying he is the star of the show sort of dismisses the music ifself. When with Scar Symmetry, both the instrumentals and vocals were stellar. Here, very mediocre music with good vocals. Should have stuck with Scar Symm tbh. I listened to i a couple times again and it still bores me quite a bit.

@ Valaskjalf - You give trash albums a 1 and you say you want to stay clear of trash since its not your type of music, yet you include Nevermore in you '10 mid year best of. Irony...
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
12.08.2010 - 04:06
Winterthrone

Nay...That album is awesome,,, That album is awesome. Yeah the guitars are not individually exceptionnal, the bass is not individually exceptionnal nor the drumming...Butr the whole just sounds amazingly good with Christian's exceptionnal vocals over it! I'm sorry but 6.5 is a joke to me, this album is certainly not average...
17.08.2010 - 09:48
Ancient Ruin

Written by Guest on 05.08.2010 at 08:35

Yeah. I think, if you are going to listen to one of Alvestam's recent works, you should go for the new Miseration album.

Christian not singing at all in that band is alot like eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with only peanut butter and jelly on it, and no cocaine.
18.08.2010 - 16:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.08.2010 at 05:06

Written by Ancient Ruin on 05.08.2010 at 05:02

This review is shit.

I wish I was as cool as you.

yuk yuk yuk
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.08.2010 - 17:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Promonex on 09.08.2010 at 01:44

Spot on! Here's to the average Canadian

Eh!
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.09.2010 - 19:04
lord artan

I can not accept such a beautiful album that I be judged.Undoubtedly, each group is singer Ann Kristin is a masterpiece...
03.11.2010 - 15:24
Kennoth

Well... I honestly didn't like this album at first. But since I'm a huge fan of Christian, I grew to love it. There lacks certain originality about it, and that dark edge that was present in SS albums, Holographic Universe in particular.

Harmonies and melodies go superbly with Christians voice, while I agree they would suck ass if played without it, so naturally he's the brightest point of the album. You also failed to mention ''Lethean Tears'', which is a pretty moving ballade where the singer fully showcases his clean vocal range.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
24.11.2010 - 23:47
Dannyvect

I'm just going to let it out...

Firstly I am a massive fan of pre can't really sing power metal dude and cookie monster Scar Symmetry..

Don't get me wrong not all of there songs are good but most of them deliver a sort of fall in love with it effect.

But how does this get 6.5 when you get some real shit floating about the internet getting 8 or 9? The musicians are proven some of the best in there genre.. Musicianship aside even as a singer / guitarist I don't give a shit how fast you can fret wank.. Don't get me wrong it needs to grow on you a little but it is a solid effort which says we have so much potential.

It is better than 90% of the crap out there and in some ways it does re-invent... I truly hope this sugary sweet metal takes off the ground before alot of the current bunch of fuckwits, who only care about bands that sound like they are having a rectal imbalance, with people smashing the fooking room up (which is pretty much most new bands) if these fuktards destroy the pop metal recruiters your just putting the nail in the coffin for people who could enjoy this.. You don't have a right to destroy these sort of bands, they are for everyone to enjoy.

Music industry is screwed in general, metal especially in the UK is non - existent.. With this eliteist attitude and no pop metal to recruit people it will never make a comeback and will keep on dieing.
22.12.2010 - 07:27
ViolentPrayers

Written by Dannyvect on 24.11.2010 at 23:47

I'm just going to let it out...

Firstly I am a massive fan of pre can't really sing power metal dude and cookie monster Scar Symmetry..

Don't get me wrong not all of there songs are good but most of them deliver a sort of fall in love with it effect.

But how does this get 6.5 when you get some real shit floating about the internet getting 8 or 9? The musicians are proven some of the best in there genre.. Musicianship aside even as a singer / guitarist I don't give a shit how fast you can fret wank.. Don't get me wrong it needs to grow on you a little but it is a solid effort which says we have so much potential.

It is better than 90% of the crap out there and in some ways it does re-invent... I truly hope this sugary sweet metal takes off the ground before alot of the current bunch of fuckwits, who only care about bands that sound like they are having a rectal imbalance, with people smashing the fooking room up (which is pretty much most new bands) if these fuktards destroy the pop metal recruiters your just putting the nail in the coffin for people who could enjoy this.. You don't have a right to destroy these sort of bands, they are for everyone to enjoy.

Music industry is screwed in general, metal especially in the UK is non - existent.. With this eliteist attitude and no pop metal to recruit people it will never make a comeback and will keep on dieing.

I totally agree, that kind of mentality pretty much butchered the metal industry since we got that disease they call deathcore.
But metal fans have always been really picky. Its too heavy, its too soft. Personally I thought this album delivered the perfect balance of both. Christians cleans are unmatched by essentially every vocalist on the planet, and hes already proven he can do much more than metal. The guy recorded a house track for christ sake, and ill be honest I love house, as well as many other genres that I know half of you will despise me for.
Yes, its questionable that I may listen to rap music...alot. But I value metal above all because its the most diverse and technical genre out there that also applies melody to it.
But because some people have to be so hard headed about there metal, we get idiots throwing out 6.5s cuz somebody doesn't think the vocals are "hardcore" enough.
For the record, Clandestinity Now is probably the best metal track since Y2K dropped, theres no 16 minutes I would rather spend.
22.12.2010 - 21:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ViolentPrayers on 22.12.2010 at 07:27

...because some people have to be so hard headed about there metal, we get idiots throwing out 6.5s cuz somebody doesn't think the vocals are "hardcore" enough.

I think somewhere in my review I point out the vocals as the album's best feature.

Quote:

Älvestam may well be one of the most talented vocalists still contributing to the scene, but even a voice this strong can't save an album from incredibly generic guitar leads, conventional song structures, monotonous drumming, subdued keyboard passages...

Oh right! There it is.

PS - I take no issue with vocals that aren't "hardcore" enough. I appreciate Green Carnation, Anathema, Candlemass and many other bands that aren't afraid of using clean vocals.
----
07.01.2011 - 14:30
ShadowKind

I like it, Every time I listen to it I get new dimensions, I would easily give 9 out of 10 I wish I could afford to produce an album like that
----
Metal is my life (ShadowKind www.last.fm/music/shadowkind/delusion
27.02.2011 - 12:22
Rating: 4
Kuroboshi

I agree with you on this one Troy!

I hoped it was a grower. But after listening to it a couple of times with some time in between, I reached the conclusion that this is one of the most boring melodic death metal albums I've heard in a while.

It's really strange because, 'For Aeons Past' is probably one of the most ridiculously awesome songs I've ever heard.. Therefore I deleted the other songs

I have to give them some cred for making me laugh though. The lyrics on 'Wirethrone' must be the silliest ever
02.09.2011 - 22:09
Rating: 8
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I'd rather put Lethean Tears on one side of the table and the rest in the other side. The song could keep the album going single-handed, but I guess it wasn't enough. Anyway, I just can't stop listening to it.For me it was the best gift a friend could give to me and I owe him that much.
20.05.2012 - 06:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Listened to Gravitational lensing on MySpace, it sounded like an even more unoriginal Trivium.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.11.2014 - 18:00
Stunning Cactus

Sounds like a bunch of In Flames B-sides. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but, yanno. In Flames aren't the most creative thing to ever happen.
06.05.2023 - 01:30
Rating: 8
Pablo

100% agree with the review.

Hits total: 9489 | This month: 12