29 users:
Band: Lustre
Album: A Glimpse Of Glory
Style: Atmospheric black metal
Release date: September 2010

01. This Mighty Sight
02. Lunar Light
03. Amongst The Trees

Night-time, preferably with utter silence, no sound must tresspass this experience, some candles maybe, a little wine perhaps for mood and of course music. Nachtzeit (Hypothermia) managed to release the second attempt, A Glimpse Of Glory, with one of his side-projects, Lustre, moving in atmospheric/ambient black metal corridors.

The album consists of 3 compositions, lengthing somewhere around 40 minutes and if one's into this kind of music he'll find it very natural. After all, the atmosphere Lustre wants to present requires its time to unfold, escalate and finally reach its calm.

The sounds of nature, such as the wind, the one that passes by the closed window in winter, whistling and whirling outside, the passing crows, the wolves wondering in the forest, the birds partake in this musical mystery. Even the glowing fire, maybe in a covered place in a forest of someone seeking refuge is present, with the wind still blowing nearby. This is why in the beginning I wrote about silence, the natural additions in the musical structure create their own environment and whilst paying attention, you lose yourself.

Everything consisting of this album plays an important role in the final outcome, every single detail (although kind of simplistic) plays its role in this 40-minute act. About the production? No, no crystal clear sound, just the one this album requires. Apart from the sounds of nature and the almost present percussion, the keyboards evoke either a sense of nostalgic grandeur, floating and seducing the listener, or the tranquility of calm after storm. The guitars whenever they appear lurk upon the compositions creating an enthralling ambiance and when they unveil in anger the emotional climax unfolds. As for the vocals, they appear only on “I”, forlorn screams echoing and with this effect a maelstrom of howls twists the soundscape.

While listening to A Glimpse of Glory it gives you the sense of it being a concept album, a concept album interpreted by the music, not lyrics. It is exactly what the title says, a glimpse of glory. In the beginning, “I”, one could say it works as the climax, being the strongest composition, but no, it's just the trip to something unknown; the storm. Then “II”, the majesty and awe of attending something of great magnificence, the grandeur. “III”, there where tranquility reigns supreme and there's endless time to think of the aforementioned experience; the calm.

Try this at home.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 10.09.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 151 users
10.09.2010 - 15:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was a little disappointed by this, though through no fault of his own. I read another review of it elsewhere and expected something dark and ominous but it's actually quite a pleasant, nice sounding record as you highlighted which isn't really what I'm after. Good on its own merits though.
10.09.2010 - 15:18
KwonVerge
Odysseus
If this is ominous then Lurker of Chalice are kindergarten
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
10.09.2010 - 15:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
You don't find LoC ominous? O.o
10.09.2010 - 15:23
KwonVerge
Odysseus
I find them, i was being ironic on the contrary
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
10.09.2010 - 15:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ah I see =P
10.09.2010 - 15:24
KwonVerge
Odysseus
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

25.09.2010 - 22:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For me this is really really great music...older albums are even better though
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

03.11.2011 - 22:42
Rating: 9
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Great album. And of course, a great review to go with it.

Hits total: 4558 | This month: 7