02. Breath Of Life
03. Though He Slay Me
04. Psalms
05. Dayspring
06. Timeless Hearts
07. He's God
08. Desperation [Steppenwolf cover]
09. As A Dog Returns

Place Of Skulls proves that you don't need screaming vocals, drop D guitars or blast beats to be heavy, but on the contrary, slow, hard hitting, powerful riffs and heart felt vocals weigh you down. Their new album, As a Dog Returns, is saturated with doom and gloom mixed with optimism and faith. It is my top pick for both best Doom Metal album and best Christian Metal album for 2010!

The rather traditional approach to Doom here is actually somewhat refreshing to hear in the midst of many "extreme" Doom bands that permeate the scene. While it does have a nice old school 70's rock feel at times, this is by no means a retro album and it fits nicely among modern releases with its dash of Stoner Metal thrown in there. Mixing the hard hitting songs with the mellow ballads throughout the record creates an astonishing atmosphere that allows for high replay value. The music is so well written and tightly preformed that there is no need to be flashy as this Knoxville three-piece delivers gripping melodies and concrete solid rhythm.

Guitarist/vocalist Victor Griffin shares his love of God from start to finish with some incredibly heartfelt lyrics that at no point come off as cliche or cheesy. Tracks like "He's God" is a full blown worship song the brings me to my knees when I hear it. "The Maker," "Breath of Life," "Though He Slay Me," and "Psalm" are stalwart songs of praise that are just dripping with love and passion. The 10-minute epic centerpiece "Dayspring" is hands down of the best Doom anthem I have ever heard.

After four years, Place Of Skulls has returned with, what is arguably, their best release ever. A decade after their demo the band is undeniably tight and proficient at their craft. Four albums in the band has no problem continuing to bearing their faith to the world. Undoubtedly, As a Dog Returns is going to be on many top lists for this year. And rightfully so.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 18.12.2010 by Dane hails from Asheville, NC which is Beer City, USA. When he is not drinking various craft and micro brews, Dane fronts the Stoner Doom Metal band, The Quick. He also has a massive collection of Hellboy comic books.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 32   Visited by: 270 users
22.02.2011 - 16:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think the "Christian metal" aspect of this is totally irrelevant. It's an excellent doom metal album, plain and simple.

Christian metal is a tag, not a genre. It's there to let people know that the band in question's message is themed around Christianity and its message, though it has nothing to do with the actual sound of the band, which is why Place of Skulls and Demon Hunter shouldn't be lumped into the same category.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.12.2011 - 06:34
Slinky666
Account deleted
Religiously insignificant and devilishly good.

Hits total: 8001 | This month: 10