Style: Doom metal
Release date: December 2010

01. Hyperion
02. Destroyers Of The Faith
03. The Road To The Gravegarden
04. Chants Of The Nameless
05. Tomb Of Doom
06. White Coffin

Originally released on vinyl in December of last year and finally seeing its release on disc at some point a month and change later, Procession's full-length debut, Destroyers Of The Faith is now, finally, out.

Cult Of Disease, the Chilean doomsters' last release was so awesome that Marcel and I were going to fight to the death for the privilege of reviewing it before some peacenik hippie on the staff suggested we join forces - which we did. Said staffer also bribed us with copious amounts of booze and possibly GHB (not to be confused with GBH) ? I guess they didn't want to have to scrub out the bloodstains from MetalStorm Towers.

So how will their anticipated debut stand up to that effort?

As swell as Cult Of Disease was, this one takes that basic framework and goes to 11 with it. Whereas their countrymen in Mar De Grises might go all out and progressive post-doom experimental with their approach, Procession are meat and potatoes. They are straight forward, straight to the point, and damned good at it.

It is customary in metal for an album to lead with the strongest track, the one that grabs the listener by the short curlies and forcefully demands their attention. Destroyers Of The Faith follows this approach. The opening salvo of the album is a 1-2 jab-uppercut punch combo of the short "Hyperion" which blends in to the epic length title track that knocks the listener senseless. The two words best to describe those tracks - powerful and confident.

The two are propelled forward by emotional, powerful and confident vocals, powerful and confident production that makes the components of the sonic assault sound bloody fantastic, and confident and powerful musicianship. On the primary riff of the title track the guitar, bass and drums work perfectly in conjunction? powerful, yet neither glacial nor warp speed. Instead they advance on the listener at a constant, purposeful gait. Like the Terminator. Procession cannot be stopped, cannot be reasoned with. They exist to doom you and there is fuck all you can do about it.

The rest of the album is really great material, if perhaps not quite up to the fury of the openers. Plaza's vocals are more forceful and forthright than on their last, and he is a riff machine. Road To The Gravegarden slows the tempo down to more typical traditional doom speed, a nice shift to the overall mood before it gets picked up again in subsequent tracks. However, whether lumbering or striding, Procession will stomp all over you.

The closer, "White Coffins," also fits the metal mold in the sense it ends the album on a powerful note that lets the listener know the end is nigh, yet leaves them, even after nearly an hour of doom, wanting even more.

Ultimately, if you are into traditional doom, or doom, or just metal in general, this one is definitely worth hunting down and giving a listen.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 24.01.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 236 users
24.01.2011 - 18:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Totally great album. And listen to the intricate bass playing really undoom like what's going on there.

Btw imo the album starts off with the least tracks to end on a high with Chants Of The Nameless, Tomb Of Doom and especially White Coffin.
Oh yeah the reworked version of The Road To The Gravegarden features a guest solo by Peter Vicar, who is best known for his work in Reverend Bizarre. How appropriate is that? Having him play on the immensely Reverend Bizarre inspired TRTTG?

Can't wait to see these guys live in three weeks time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.01.2011 - 19:33
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
This is damn weird... I could swear you wrote this review before. Deja Vu or you're messing with me. Either way, nice review! Seems like you won this time and didn't want to share the review with another smelly staff member

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.01.2011 at 18:53

the intricate bass playing really undoom like what's going on there.

Sorry but wtf is undoom? I thought the post tag was weird enough.

Hey... BitterCOld, did you say almost an hour of doom? Because I thought it was just 46 min.
Oh well, I have to hunt this stuff. Nice to see Chile getting some spotlight when it comes to my favorite metal subgenre.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.01.2011 - 19:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
With undoom I just mean " not what you usually hear in doom"
might also have used non-doom to describe it.

Yes it's 46 minutes no idea why Bitter said "almost an hour"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.01.2011 - 19:37
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.01.2011 at 19:33

This is damn weird... I could swear you wrote this review before. Deja Vu or you're messing with me. Either way, nice review! Seems like you won this time and didn't want to share the review with another smelly staff member

Hey... BitterCOld, did you say almost an hour of doom? Because I thought it was just 46 min.
Oh well, I have to hunt this stuff. Nice to see Chile getting some spotlight when it comes to my favorite metal subgenre.

should have checked the track lengths for a more accurate total. felt like about an hour while I was writing and listening. besides, anyone listening to this for the first couple times will likely hit "back back" to listen to the opening two tracks again, which puts it closer to an hour.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.01.2011 - 19:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 24.01.2011 at 19:37

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.01.2011 at 19:33

should have checked the track lengths for a more accurate total. felt like about an hour while I was writing and listening. besides, anyone listening to this for the first couple times will likely hit "back back" to listen to the opening two tracks again, which puts it closer to an hour.

no they won't "back back" to listen to the opening two tracks again. They will likely hit "back back back" to listen to the closing three tracks again
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.01.2011 - 19:56
silenius

Just splendid album tbh
24.01.2011 - 20:04
Mikyz

I agree with Marcel on this one, the last three tracks end the album on a high note but truthfully their really isn't any low point throughout the whole experience. It goes from great to mind-blowing, no mistake about it this is the quintessential Traditional Doom Metal album of 2010, good for the ears and overwhelming for the soul.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
24.01.2011 - 20:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.01.2011 at 19:49
no they won't "back back" to listen to the opening two tracks again. They will likely hit "back back back" to listen to the closing three tracks again

well, whether your preference is the more upbeat swaggering opener, or some of the slower offerings towards the end, the material is fantastic enough to merit catching a track or two again... which will put this close to an hour.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.01.2011 - 20:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Well I put the entire album on repeat so the listening experience is even much longer than an hour
I think I must have spun the album close to about 50 times since I got it in December.
Immensely epic stuff.
Apparently Messiah Marcolin will be joining Procession on stage for a song in Stockholm soon. That is something I wish I could witness.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2011 - 08:56
Rating: 10
BudDa

Am in love with the vocals on this album. Simply superb!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
25.01.2011 - 16:15
Jon

Nice review. I get the feeling Procession will soon be namechecked among essential underground doom acts like Rev Biz, Count Raven and Warning and so on. Which they are being already I guess. Looking forward what they've got in store for the future.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
26.01.2011 - 00:01
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Awesome record!!! I'll be buying this for sure. "Tomb of Doom" alone justifies it.
26.01.2011 - 07:20
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I really want to listen to this, but recently I don't have time to listen to music because of my work, but I'll give it a try for sure, Metal Storm is great when it comes to awesome recommendations.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
02.02.2011 - 22:28
Rating: 7
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Good release, thanks for the heads up!
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
19.09.2011 - 01:15
InnerSelf
proofread free
A great review and a great album
I really like the solo in Chants of the Nameless where the song climaxes after a wonderful build-up, almost orgasmic
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
12.12.2011 - 06:07
Slinky666
Account deleted
This is my kind of procession.

Hits total: 7053 | This month: 3