06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Bottom 20 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica.

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman.

Recorded by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies
Additional engineering by Jim Monti, Dan Monti, Sara Lyn Killion and Kent Matcke.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman.
Assisted by Geoff Neal.

Recorded at Metallica HQ.
Mixed at Sunset Sound.

Mix coordination by Lindsay Chase.

Mastered by Vlado Meller at Masterdisk.

Wax mannequin (about 1900) and other objects: collection of Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge, Berlin.

All music by Lou Reed and Metallica.
All lyrics by Lou Reed.
All Songs © 2011 Lou Reed Music (BMI)/Creeping Death Music (ASCAP).

© 2011 Sister Ray Enterprises Inc/We're Only In It For The Music.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 20 / 21

Comments: 612   Visited by: 3721 users
14.09.2019 - 13:00
Rating: 1
Metal Rasputin
Listening to this album feels like choking to death over and over again, like being stuck in the deepest, darkest hole in Dante's Inferno, suffering the hellish torture of Satan for eternity and beyond. Actually Lulu could make a nasty torture device for ISIS or any other terrorist organization, since it works every time without leaving any visible marks. Success guaranteed.

It's really THAT bad.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
29.11.2019 - 18:58
Rating: 2
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Wiillak on 27.09.2011 at 13:36

It,s suck
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.05.2020 - 05:55
Rating: 8
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Finally gave this album a chance, and holy shit you guys are wrong. There is a lot to like here. It is closer to excellent than it is to shit.

This is not a Metallica album, but that doesn't mean its bad. Its the most interesting music the band has released in a long time, but it is still not Metallica.
----
30.09.2020 - 22:04
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I am very proud to announce that I am the 1000th rating on this album
30.09.2020 - 22:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Roman Doez on 30.09.2020 at 22:04

I am very proud to announce that I am the 1000th rating on this album

Just dropping by to congratulate you and let you know that had you rated it anything above a 2, I'd be contractually obligated to ban you.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.02.2021 - 16:04
sarge
Worst Metallica album by far...
01.03.2021 - 01:08
Rating: 3
Scintil
Doesn't deserve to be called the worst metal album of all time, in fact its not even Metallica's worst.
16.06.2021 - 11:17
Rating: 6
Ganondox
Okay, I've finally actually listened to the whole album, and I was surprised by how much I like it. I can't call it a good album as it has some serious flaws in the vocal performance and couple tracks that are actually bad, but the songwriting is just so much more interesting than what I usually hear out of Metalica. I especially like the drone elements of the album, not what you'd expect from a thrash band at all.
26.06.2021 - 20:02
A sublime work of art.
24.12.2021 - 10:20
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I enjoyed Lou Reed's work with The Velvet Underground, that was before he went solo and became all sissy, and I enjoyed Metallica's music up to the black album, before they went into mainstream rock, but there is some things that even a legendary band, and legendary musician do that is not good at all, and for me and many others Lulu is one of those albums, the collaboration was never going to work for me, or most Metallica, and Lou Reed fans for that matter, I can understand them trying new things though.
24.12.2021 - 12:01
gavdann
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 24.12.2021 at 10:20

that was before he went solo and became all sissy

Not sure about ALL of his solo albums. He released some good stuff back in the 70's & 80's.
24.12.2021 - 15:20
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by gavdann on 24.12.2021 at 12:01

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 24.12.2021 at 10:20

that was before he went solo and became all sissy

Not sure about ALL of his solo albums. He released some good stuff back in the 70's & 80's.

Yes I thought some of his stuff back in the day was alright, and some not so good, but his Velvet Underground days during the late 60's and his early 70's stuff, will always be my favourite era of his.
26.01.2022 - 00:58
Rating: 9
Jack_Torrance
Most overhated album of all time. Many Metalheads already hate it for it's reputation without listening to it. Also it's mostly a Lou Reed album NOT a Metallica album. Lulu is a masterpiece!
26.01.2022 - 06:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Jack_Torrance on 26.01.2022 at 00:58

Most overhated album of all time. Many Metalheads already hate it for it's reputation without listening to it. Also it's mostly a Lou Reed album NOT a Metallica album. Lulu is a masterpiece!

Have you ever considered a lobotomy?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.01.2022 - 18:11
Jack_Torrance
Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.01.2022 at 06:03

Have you ever considered a lobotomy?

I'm fine thank you
26.01.2022 - 18:13
Rating: 4
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff

I don't agree with all of this but I applaud the courage. What's your fav track from it?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
26.01.2022 - 18:25
Jack_Torrance
Written by RaduP on 26.01.2022 at 18:13

I don't agree with all of this but I applaud the courage. What's your fav track from it?

Probably Cheat On Me or Dragon.
26.01.2022 - 18:43
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Jack_Torrance on 26.01.2022 at 18:25

Dragon.

That was probably the one I enjoyed the most.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
26.01.2022 - 21:49
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Jack_Torrance is officially the bravest user on the site
26.01.2022 - 21:57
JoHn Doe
Written by Alex F on 26.01.2022 at 21:49

Jack_Torrance is officially the bravest user on the site

any of us that sat through the whole album is brave.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
17.02.2022 - 19:05
Jared Archon
Literally just as bad as people say. The almost 90 minute runtime is unjustifiable. Metallica's parts suck, and they sound awful with Lou Reed's incoherent rambling on top. This album would have been better had it been 30 minutes of Lou Reed just doing slam poetry with no backing track.
10.03.2022 - 12:06
nonZero
Normally Men buy sports cars, travel the world or similar for their midlife crises - I guess rich musicians who have already done those create garbage "edgy" albums like this
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
23.07.2022 - 06:06
24emd
Theory Snob
Not as bad as people say.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
12.09.2022 - 21:46
Same as the above comment. Quite avant-garde actually.
I can see people claiming this as a masterpiece in 20 years.
12.09.2022 - 21:48
JoHn Doe
Written by Twisted steel on 12.09.2022 at 21:46

I very much doubt that. The people that enjoy this are very few, they are a small minority.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
12.09.2022 - 22:34
Written by JoHn Doe on 12.09.2022 at 21:48

Written by Twisted steel on 12.09.2022 at 21:46

I very much doubt that. The people that enjoy this are very few, they are a small minority.

Not as small as it once was. As time goes on music will sound more and more the same whereas this will always be somewhat unique. Masterpiece is an exaggeration but I do think people will in time regard this as a decent release
13.09.2022 - 05:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Twisted steel on 12.09.2022 at 22:34

Not as small as it once was. As time goes on music will sound more and more the same whereas this will always be somewhat unique. Masterpiece is an exaggeration but I do think people will in time regard this as a decent release

Dogg, it has over 1000 ratings with an average of 2.1 after over 10 years… it’s not going to happen
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.12.2022 - 05:06
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
Well I finally listened to this notorious album here's my thoughts:

It's not the worst metal album I've heard, but everything aligned is really awful. The only positive thing I can say is the song "The View". It's hilarious because it spawned the "I am the table" meme and listening to it now gives me ironic entertainment equivalent to St. Anger.

However, everything is awful. The music is repetitive and wanders everywhere with random improvisation, the lyrics are just so cringe, and of course who can forget Lou Reed shitting all over this album. His performance is awful and apparently I couldn't tell if it was James Hetfield or if it was Lou Reed as Reed tries to do his signature sound, but falls incredibly flat.

Compared to St. Anger, this is more forgetful whereas St. Anger is at least so bad its entertainment where I can fall back on to laugh at the album.... this is just drab and poorly performed even with the nugget of "The View" is there to get me laughing.

Also that album cover is so fucking creepy. It stares into my soul...
15.02.2023 - 11:56
BEST ALBUM EVER
15.02.2023 - 19:16
Metren
Dreadrealm
This album is an interesting piece of shit. I can't say that I get no entertainment out of listening to it. It's not quite the same enjoyment as with "so bad they're good" movies like The Room, but it is something similar.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 80333 | This month: 202