Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
24.11.2011 - 20:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Windrider on 24.11.2011 at 18:33
I think we should add 'Blackgaze' finally to the style/genre list.

There are still a slew of genres we don't have on here, from djent and blackgaze to deathgrind and groove metal (here it's called groove thrash).

I'll bring this up with Ivan asap and see what he plans on doing about it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.11.2011 - 05:22
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by MiguelLopes on 18.11.2011 at 01:34

I dont think so. There are many people that came here just to see the news and close this down without even join. This is the one of the biggest metal news sites (And my favorite to be honest) of the world, and i there is a lot of pleople using iOS 5 either on iphones, as well on iPods or Ipads

There are yes, but there are equally enough on the Android. I personally don't waste my time with any of the Apple products. If I was going to program it, i'd focus mainly on the Android model.
I thought it was great idea a while ago, but got a pretty large negative response back from it. Search through the threads and there is one somewhere about it.
27.11.2011 - 11:52
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 20:29

Written by Windrider on 24.11.2011 at 18:33
I think we should add 'Blackgaze' finally to the style/genre list.

There are still a slew of genres we don't have on here, from djent and blackgaze to deathgrind and groove metal (here it's called groove thrash).

I'll bring this up with Ivan asap and see what he plans on doing about it.

I don't think it's up to me to decide - especially I'm not familiar with these genres.
27.11.2011 - 19:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ivan on 27.11.2011 at 11:52
I don't think it's up to me to decide - especially I'm not familiar with these genres.

You're the only one with the power to format the genre box as far as I know.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2011 - 19:50
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2011 at 19:07

Written by Ivan on 27.11.2011 at 11:52

You're the only one with the power to format the genre box as far as I know.

Yes, that's true, but it would be nice if it was based on some kind of consensus among the Staff members. As I said, I don't know enough about these genres to determine if they're worth adding or not. There's a ridiculous amount of metal sub-genres out there, but that doesn't mean we should add each of them (love metal? math metal? hollywood metal? speed metal?)
27.11.2011 - 19:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ivan on 27.11.2011 at 19:50
Yes, that's true, but it would be nice if it was based on some kind of consensus among the Staff members.

Ah, I see what you mean. All right, I'll get to work on that then.
----
30.11.2011 - 01:19
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Ivan bitchin' links change on the band pages, love that we can now add more than just Myspace and official site (especially since Facebook has become such a major deal now alongside Myspace).
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

30.11.2011 - 01:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Just make sure all links remain official. No fan pages.
----
30.11.2011 - 01:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2011 at 01:22

Just make sure all links remain official. No fan pages.

Oh but of course
----

30.11.2011 - 04:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I know im being a whiney bitch here, but the colour of the numbers of the album are kind of off in my minf, i mean an 8,5 in the same classification as a 7? i dont know just kinda bugs me
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.11.2011 - 06:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
You aren't the first to complain about the rating colors. I'm pretty sure Ivan is more than content with where they are now - to my knowledge they've already gone through changes to get it where we see it today.
----
30.11.2011 - 14:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2011 at 06:07

You aren't the first to complain about the rating colors. I'm pretty sure Ivan is more than content with where they are now - to my knowledge they've already gone through changes to get it where we see it today.

alright, it just seems they're alittle off.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.12.2011 - 01:44
Edmund Fogg
I don't know if it's already posted here (too lazy to read 2 pages of comments) but a ms metal radio would be nice. It could feature songs from the homepage higlights (reviews, news, interviews and such). Y'all want to be the first stop for everything metal related, Ms Radio would bring you one step closer to that goal.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
08.12.2011 - 01:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 08.12.2011 at 01:44
I don't know if it's already posted here (too lazy to read 2 pages of comments) but a ms metal radio would be nice.

Long story short, it's been done before, but we can't do it again.
----
08.12.2011 - 04:54
Edmund Fogg
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.12.2011 at 01:59

Written by Edmund Fogg on 08.12.2011 at 01:44
I don't know if it's already posted here (too lazy to read 2 pages of comments) but a ms metal radio would be nice.

Long story short, it's been done before, but we can't do it again.

Crap. And here I was thinking I was on the verge of something. Oh well. Then How bout somekind of macros that can take a first look at the suggested bands, trow away those that don't fit specific criterias, (# of albums and what not). I know there has to be a shitload of elements to factor in, but once it's set maybe it would become faster for the staff to accept the remaining ones or not. Cause I get the feeling they just keep on pilling up.
----
08.12.2011 - 04:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 08.12.2011 at 04:54
I know there has to be a shitload of elements to factor in, but once it's set maybe it would become faster for the staff to accept the remaining ones or not. Cause I get the feeling they just keep on pilling up.

They do, even though I keep adding about a dozen or so every week. >>

However, I don't think any kind of program could sort through what we want. I mean there's non-metal stuff that we do accept, non-metal stuff we don't accept, metal stuff we don't accept (NS stuff and Dehthklok), suggestions of bands that disbanded after releasing 1 demo...
----
08.12.2011 - 05:14
Edmund Fogg
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.12.2011 at 04:57

Written by Edmund Fogg on 08.12.2011 at 04:54
I know there has to be a shitload of elements to factor in, but once it's set maybe it would become faster for the staff to accept the remaining ones or not. Cause I get the feeling they just keep on pilling up.

They do, even though I keep adding about a dozen or so every week. >>

However, I don't think any kind of program could sort through what we want.

Pfft... Easy send your list of criteria to China or Japan and tell the programmer that if he doesn't succeed, it will prove he is weak and will bring dishonnour on his family. That's the way to do it Money for nothing and the chicks for free!
----
08.12.2011 - 20:58
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
I'm with Troy there is no way to write a macro that can verify if a Suggested band is worthy or not worthy. However Troy on the subject of adding Suggested bands every week, do you ever go through and delete the bands that don't meet criteria? Just curious, seems like there is probably a stack of bands in that 70+ page list of Suggestions that could stand to be dleted for various and sundry non-qualifying reasons...
----

08.12.2011 - 21:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by psykometal on 08.12.2011 at 20:58
...do you ever go through and delete the bands that don't meet criteria?

If I don't send them to the blacklist (haven't had to do that in a long time actually) I delete the bands that released only one demo or EP before disbanding. If a band has released only one demo or EP, I'll leave it sitting until they get around to a full-length (= accepted) or disband (= deleted).
----
08.12.2011 - 21:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Fair enough. What about the dupes, already existing bands and misspells/grammar issues?
----

09.12.2011 - 03:08
Edmund Fogg
Thx Troy for adding one of my suggestions. It wasn't my intent wiyh yhe macro thing though. And just so we're all on the same page, I'm talking about a macro that acts kind of like a 1st filter (leaves out the ones easily unqualified : disbanded, no full lenght yet etc. basically one that obeys the simple rules we "normally" have to follow when suggesting a band.
----
09.12.2011 - 04:41
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.12.2011 at 03:08

Thx Troy for adding one of my suggestions. It wasn't my intent wiyh yhe macro thing though. And just so we're all on the same page, I'm talking about a macro that acts kind of like a 1st filter (leaves out the ones easily unqualified : disbanded, no full lenght yet etc. basically one that obeys the simple rules we "normally" have to follow when suggesting a band.

The problem is the macro would have to search the entire internet and each website uses different coding so how is the macro supposed to be able to determine if a band has multiple releases or not? If it's in suggestions that means it's not on MS so Ivan couldn't write the macro code to check MS database for number of albums. It would have to be designed to search google (random search engine) and then find a site that would have that band's discography on display and then be able to read that sites coding to figure out how many releases they have and then filter out all of the drivel that doesn't meet the criteria.
----

09.12.2011 - 06:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.12.2011 at 03:08
Thx Troy for adding one of my suggestions. It wasn't my intent wiyh yhe macro thing though.

I added about 30 bands today. If one of them was suggested by you I assure you it was merely a coincidence.
----
09.12.2011 - 06:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.12.2011 at 06:14

I added about 30 bands today. If one of them was suggested by you I assure you it was merely a coincidence.

Ya just couldn't let the kid have his moment and think he moved the heart of a Staffer could ya (all ya had to do was say "You're welcome")...Sheesh, what a buzz kill...
----

09.12.2011 - 07:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by psykometal on 09.12.2011 at 06:50
...what a buzz kill...

I have a nickname to maintain.
----
09.12.2011 - 07:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.12.2011 at 07:40

I have a nickname to maintain.

So does that mean you're going to change your name to Troy Killbuzz?
----

09.12.2011 - 09:21
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Would it be possible to change the Band suggestions area so that when a Comment is posted you don't get reset back to page 1 and have to make your way back to the page you were on last?
----

09.12.2011 - 09:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by psykometal on 09.12.2011 at 09:21
Would it be possible to change the Band suggestions area so that when a Comment is posted you don't get reset back to page 1 and have to make your way back to the page you were on last?

If you're on page 20, right-click page 21 and open in a new tab. Then once you post your comment just go to the other tab.

That's the short non-programming answer anyway. If you want to see if something can be changed on the programming level then you'd have to ask Ivan.
----
09.12.2011 - 09:29
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.12.2011 at 09:23

If you're on page 20, right-click page 21 and open in a new tab. Then once you post your comment just go to the other tab.

That's the short non-programming answer anyway. If you want to see if something can be changed on the programming level then you'd have to ask Ivan.

Touché...but still...smart ass!!!
----

09.12.2011 - 13:55
Edmund Fogg
Written by psykometal on 09.12.2011 at 04:41

The problem is the macro would have to search the entire internet and each website uses different coding so how is the macro supposed to be able to determine if a band has multiple releases or not? If it's in suggestions that means it's not on MS so Ivan couldn't write the macro code to check MS database for number of albums. It would have to be designed to search google (random search engine) and then find a site that would have that band's discography on display and then be able to read that sites coding to figure out how many releases they have and then filter out all of the drivel that doesn't meet the criteria.

Would it work better if only limit the program to two or three websites that has the most chances of containing info on the band (MA, Facebook, Last.fm i.e) then if nothing shows up there it can leave the bands in the list with a special mention that it already tried x sites.
----