06. Avella
07. Eccentress
08. Fawn
09. Chrysalis
10. Interlude II
11. Lapse Into Hysteria
12. Illumination
13. Garden Of Rust

A good progressive metal album is like a maze. Full of twists and turns that keep you guessing and doubling back on yourself. Having you, the ideally puzzled listener, scratching your head as you struggle to come to grips with that strange sense that you know where you're going until you round a bend and WHACK! You're confronted with something entirely unexpected as things undergo an abrupt change and for a split second you've got no idea what's going on until the sudden morph in sound picks you up and carries you further along. What am I babbling about? Well I'm just describing where I was at when coming to terms with Dissona's latest, and to date only, album, the self titled Dissona.

I'll say this upfront; if you like avant-garde/progressive bands of Leprous' ilk you're going to find something to enjoy here. It's got that same bewildering yet immediately engaging mix of influences from various progressive legends. Whereas Leprous, such as in their latest release, manages to convincingly mask these influences with their own guise, Dissona don't quite manage this same feat as their identity isn't quite as solidified. These influences are just as wide ranging though, if not moreso, and Dissona bring them together in a staggeringly diverse album. The strong symphonic progressive elements which form the backbone of this release are reminiscent of bands such as Symphony X and Suspyre, as can be seen on "Nest" and "Immersion".

This is a parrot of an album, it mimics those it witnesses and its plumage is bright and colourful, almost overindulging to the senses. "Eccentress", what is most definitely a highlight, swings in with an amusing swagger with many influences being brought into the fray, the obvious presence of prog rock legends Gentle Giant are dealt with exceptionally well.

To say that the vocalist, Dave Dubenic, is talented would be an understatement, his mimicry and delivery in general is extraordinary. His voice is so diverse it is difficult to follow him throughout the album, he takes on an impossible array of personas ranging from Gildenlow to Hedlund to Townsend. He breaks free from rarely witnessed cleans to dominating harsh vocals with ease. While Dubenic certainly steals the show, breathing life into this wonderful album is a band of equal diversity and creativity for song writing. The guitar work is delicious to say the least; always shifting to maintain consistent interest in the listener. The bass and drums in particular hold a strong presence throughout giving the album a very satisfying density, with the keyboards traced through efficiently never over-saturating things.

All the tracks have their own bundle of surprises in store, perhaps teetering a little in quality nearing the end of the album such as on the final two offerings. Even the short interludes are surprisingly engaging, the second of these cleverly overlapping with "Lapse Into Hysteria."

This is a debut unparalleled in its ability to bring so many influences to the table and serve such a tantalising and hearty gourmet meal of progressive metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 10.03.2012 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 300 users
10.03.2012 - 07:40
3rdWorld
China was a neat
WELL WRITTEN. I'll definitely check this out sometime.
10.03.2012 - 09:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
This was on my to-listen-to-asap list; now, it's on the first position. Interesting review; I am kind of excited about this album.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.03.2012 - 10:05
Rating: 9
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
YES, Leprous, and YES, comparisons to those singers, especially Gildenlow, and yes, Eccentress is fuckin' awesome. This is a good review for a very good album. Everyone who's into prog should pay attention to it.
----
7.0 means the album is good
10.03.2012 - 10:35
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi
OMG, this I am so gonna buy! Thanks for the tip, and awesome review! I love Leprous.
10.03.2012 - 13:47
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Milena on 10.03.2012 at 10:05

YES, Leprous, and YES, comparisons to those singers, especially Gildenlow, and yes, Eccentress is fuckin' awesome. This is a good review for a very good album. Everyone who's into prog should pay attention to it.

I am now. Sounds very interesting. It's funny that now Leprous are more recognized and people actually make comparisons with them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.03.2012 - 14:01
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 10.03.2012 at 13:47

I am now. Sounds very interesting. It's funny that now Leprous are more recognized and people actually make comparisons with them.

A year ago I had never heard of Leprous. The fact Mora and I, and others, can use them as a point of reference goes to show the impact they have on those who have heard them. And in such a short amount of time, amazing!
Perhaps we'll see the same with Dissona in the future?
10.03.2012 - 14:36
InnerSelf
proofread free
Leprous are indeed great, the comparison to their sound is what made me eager to check this.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
10.03.2012 - 15:10
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by R'Vannith on 10.03.2012 at 14:01

I really do hope so... there is a lot of interesting underground prog acts around which deserve all the pimping they could get... as reviewers, we have this opportunity to make people pay attention to an act and you have accomplished a bit of that here
----
10.03.2012 - 15:48
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Milena on 10.03.2012 at 15:10

I really do hope so... there is a lot of interesting underground prog acts around which deserve all the pimping they could get... as reviewers, we have this opportunity to make people pay attention to an act and you have accomplished a bit of that here

Thanks Mora, yeah they definitely deserve it and it's only their debut, it's always great to witness such talent being used so well so early in a band's studio career.
10.03.2012 - 19:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by R'Vannith on 10.03.2012 at 14:01

Written by BloodTears on 10.03.2012 at 13:47

A year ago I had never heard of Leprous. The fact Mora and I, and others, can use them as a point of reference goes to show the impact they have on those who have heard them. And in such a short amount of time, amazing!

Only time will tell of course. If this is anything like Leprous quality, that might be possible. I'll get back to you on what I think about it when I actually listen to the album
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.03.2012 - 20:27
Anastasia
A must listen on my list now
10.03.2012 - 23:38
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Well, looks like the prog community of this forum is going nuts with this record. I'll see if I can join you.
I remember I checked out a song and the vocals didn't click. But hell, I enjoy listening to Lulu; It would be nosense to not give it another chance

And if it really sounds anything like Leprous, score.
10.03.2012 - 23:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 10.03.2012 at 23:38

Well, looks like the prog community of this forum is going nuts with this record. I'll see if I can join you.

Do join us so we can fan out together :3 My first listen was more or less "hmmm, curious", but then I went berserk over it. It has a nine now in my personal ratings.
----
10.03.2012 - 23:55
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Very well written, and nicely way to put into words what it sounds like. Really good review.

Now that you got my attention, I just need to listen the album and confirm its quality. And that's going to happen soon
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
11.03.2012 - 01:33
strade
Excellent review, and I'm ecstatic to see they've been added. As the kid who introduced MS to Dissona, let me be a teenager and say, "I told ya so!"
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
11.03.2012 - 02:43
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by strade on 11.03.2012 at 01:33

Excellent review, and I'm ecstatic to see they've been added. As the kid who introduced MS to Dissona, let me be a teenager and say, "I told ya so!"

It's definitely because of your discovery that this review is here right now, I probably wouldn't have heard the album otherwise, so thanks a ton!
11.03.2012 - 03:05
strade
Written by R'Vannith on 11.03.2012 at 02:43

It's definitely because of your discovery that this review is here right now, I probably wouldn't have heard the album otherwise, so thanks a ton!

Haha, I kid. I'm glad to spread the word anyway, since the guys definitely deserve it. But you're welcome.
----
11.03.2012 - 21:43
Zealot644
As a huge fan of Leprous, this is awesome.

Thanks for writing the review on this - you just found me something new and refreshing to listen to
12.03.2012 - 14:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by R'Vannith on 11.03.2012 at 02:43

Actually, I was introduced to Dissona by jup, so...
----
12.03.2012 - 14:27
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Milena on 12.03.2012 at 14:18

Actually, I was introduced to Dissona by jup, so...

Well by 'this review' I meant my thoughts on the album. My thoughts wouldn't be here if it weren't for strade.
12.03.2012 - 14:28
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by R'Vannith on 12.03.2012 at 14:27

Well by 'this review' I meant my thoughts on the album. My thoughts wouldn't be here if it weren't for strade.

Oh, sorry, should have just quoted strade's comment here since he said he introduced MS to Dissona and I always like to play hipster
----
12.03.2012 - 14:49
strade
Written by Milena on 12.03.2012 at 14:28

Written by R'Vannith on 12.03.2012 at 14:27

Oh, sorry, should have just quoted strade's comment here since he said he introduced MS to Dissona and I always like to play hipster

Aw, Mora, you're always foiling my glory...
----
12.03.2012 - 15:04
Fredd
Account deleted
R'Vannith, now I see why they made you a contributing reviewer.
12.03.2012 - 15:09
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.03.2012 at 15:04

R'Vannith, now I see why they made you a contributing reviewer.

Thank you very much!
12.03.2012 - 15:37
Unhealer
Eclecticist
"The fuck did I just listen to "
First listen left me like that. I felt the record is more avant-garde than prog, somewhere in between at least.

Definitely outstanding, I'm so stoked for the next listen. You have to pay a lot of attention to understand everything that is going on here.
12.03.2012 - 16:44
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by strade on 12.03.2012 at 14:49

Aw, Mora, you're always foiling my glory...

Not ALWAYS. But you know I love you, d00d.
----
14.03.2012 - 16:03
Zap
I read the review that was one click away, and I'm intrigued
16.03.2012 - 16:32
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Zap on 14.03.2012 at 16:03

I read the review that was one click away, and I'm intrigued

----
16.03.2012 - 16:43
Druss
I just finished my first listen of this and I have to say, I'm completely blown away by it; the hype given to it on here is justified as far as my opinion goes. From the way the posters seem to indicate it took a second listen for them to like it, I'm almost afraid to give it a second spin and somehow find it less satisfactory lol
17.03.2012 - 07:51
nb
Thanks for the tip, shall look this band up and Leprous as well.

Hits total: 7494 | This month: 22