01. Ever Closer
02. 17 Shades
03. Serenity
04. Beneath These Falling Leaves
05. Close To Me
06. Endless Sea
07. All The Pieces
08. Your Reward

A Fair Dream Gone Mad is one heck of a progressive metal album, debut or not. Did that just get your attention? Not convinced? Well, you won't be expecting many of the clichés of this sub-genre here, nor references to Dream Theater, Riverside, Fates Warning and such. To quote some of the more respected opinions on our beloved Metalstorm:

Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 01:25
Progressive metal comes in many different shapes and sizes

Written by Dane Train on 23.07.2012 at 23:26
One of the things I love about prog is that you can have Rush and Opeth together

Of course, I need to do some name dropping in a review so that my dear readers can have a rough idea of what to expect, so I would say take that dark brooding atmosphere from Green Carnation, some softer touches of Opeth / Porcupine Tree, and an omnipresent melancholy vibe that perhaps hints at Katatonia. Now stir in some sugar, spice and everything nice of the resonating siren-like riffs of post metal, you will have a tasty prog stew in the name of A Fair Dream Gone Mad. The truth is, In The Silence just plays music. It's evident from the onset that the band didn't sit down and say "Right guys, let's write and record a progressive metal album". Instead, they just came up with a bunch of emotive tunes from their hearts that are intricate and tastefully accessible. I realised that the description above might give the impression of the whole album being rather mellow and soft, but that is definitely not the case. While there are lighter moments scattered throughout, the heavier moments can really hit you in the most pleasurable way (no, I'm not a masochist). Perhaps among the highlights is that, unlike so many others before them, the hard-soft-hard-soft approach here flows and feels natural with constructive value to the music instead of giving the impression of "Where is this meandering off to?"

Despite being a debut, the band sounds self-assured like seasoned pros. It is definitely far from being the most impressive display of technicality and skill, but the music here is meant to be? music rather than showmanship, and the production is spot on, forming the complete package that belies the level of international fame of the band and their lack of a support from a label.

So? It's already been a staff pick, you can stream the whole thing for free on bandcamp, what are you waiting for?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 26.07.2012 by Ag Fox loves listening to music but is far from being a prolific writer. This corner just shows how territorial he is.

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 533 users
26.07.2012 - 03:31
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
They make every second in their songs count, and almost every song has a stand out factor, be it a great vocal line or a sweet emotional guitar lead.
Great debut from these guys and a great review by you
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
26.07.2012 - 04:14
Lit.
Account deleted
I shall check this out. That cover art is some freaky shit.
26.07.2012 - 04:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Might check out due to Green Carnation reference. Hoping for legitimate similarities.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.07.2012 - 08:09
oblong
Account deleted
Still unsure about this - I first listened to the album when it was recommended from the Staff Picks about a month ago, and got pretty bored with it.

I can certainly see the appeal, but reading the description and now the review - I was expecting to really like this, but to no avail.

I'm not normally the one to care about lyrics that much, but I found this gets a little tedious for me.
26.07.2012 - 10:14
Dylan

Best tracks are "ever closer" and "endless sea" for me
26.07.2012 - 10:21
Rating: 6
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
On it!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.07.2012 - 11:14
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm so honoured you quoted me! When did I say that? lol

This is definitely on my list, it's "only a matter of time" before I check it out.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.07.2012 - 11:38
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.07.2012 at 04:23

Might check out due to Green Carnation reference. Hoping for legitimate similarities.

In the Silence are a prime example of decent alternative metal if you ask me. The radio wouldn't have any problems airing them if their songs were a bit shorter. Their sound isn't quite as heavy as the referred later Green Carnation from what I've gathered.

EDIT: By the way, incoming epic debut album category in the MS awards!
26.07.2012 - 13:17
Rating: 10
moribun

I've enjoy this album since its publication. Great one, debut or not.
26.07.2012 - 14:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Risto on 26.07.2012 at 11:38
In the Silence are a prime example of decent alternative metal if you ask me.

Are we talking alternative metal like Tool or alternative metal like System of a Down. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.07.2012 - 15:08
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.07.2012 at 14:56

Are we talking alternative metal like Tool or alternative metal like System of a Down. :/

Think Ghost Brigade without the sludge
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
26.07.2012 - 15:17
Risto
Wandering Midget

Nope. It's just a straightforward heavy rock sound combined with a melancholic atmosphere and calmer sections. Song structures avoid norms which is why I call it alternative (kind of like Katatonia and indeed Ghost Brigade) but it's not really that progressive IMO.
26.07.2012 - 15:47
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by BloodTears on 26.07.2012 at 11:14

"only a matter of time"

I missed you, Ana.
----
7.0 means the album is good
26.07.2012 - 17:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Milena on 26.07.2012 at 15:47

"only a matter of time"

I missed you, Ana.

I love you more
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.07.2012 - 18:29
Ag Fox
Angel No More

I'm so honoured you quoted me! When did I say that? lol

This is definitely on my list, it's "only a matter of time" before I check it out.
in your wolverine review
----
loves 小巫
26.07.2012 - 20:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Love that style cover

Fuzzed out cover + clear off center text.

I may check this out... maybe...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.07.2012 - 21:44
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I got the album recently, and I gotta say the review is spot on. Though I can't rate it a 9 (for now at least) but it's definitely a solid 8, and your words make justice for the album.

Very nice album. Very nice review. Congrats.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
26.07.2012 - 22:41
Druss

Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.07.2012 at 20:05
Love that style cover

Aye, reminds me of Hypno5e's most recent (apart from the lack of text), very much like the style.

And thanks for the extra push, Ag Fox, finally listened to this earlier and I enjoyed it very much. I kinda need that ''not like Dream Theater/Riverside'' bit to give it a go, and I'm glad I did
26.07.2012 - 22:44
omjaimes
omjaimes
Written by InnerSelf on 26.07.2012 at 15:08

Think Ghost Brigade without the sludge

Ghost Brigade + Katatonia + a mix of other great bands (Opeth, Anathema, even Paradise Lost), however their sound is very innovative and fresh, those catchy syncopated riffs catch you right away
27.07.2012 - 00:43
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I actually checked this album out about a month ago. Believe it or not I found it under the "post metal" tag on Bandcamp. I can see it (somewhat).
----
rekt
27.07.2012 - 04:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Risto on 26.07.2012 at 15:17
...(kind of like Katatonia and indeed Ghost Brigade) but it's not really that progressive IMO.

Eh, I think I just lost interest. Not a fan of alternative-era Katatonia and Ghost Brigade aren't exactly one of my favorites. Thanks for the info.
----
27.07.2012 - 19:52
MeloDeathViking

I have been digging this album since I saw it as a staff pick the other week. It just gets better with every listen for me.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
28.07.2012 - 20:29
Justicelust

Great album! I listened to it when i saw it as a staff pick. nice review
02.08.2012 - 17:45
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi

Yes, this is a very nice album. Many conflicting melodies and great vocals. I have to listen to it a couple of more times to have a constructive opinion.
18.08.2012 - 23:42
JD
Account deleted
Added to my checking list.
20.09.2012 - 02:23
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Very nice indeed, tempted me to go and give it a try.
Nothing too creative, but fusing some wonderful vibes inspired by Prog Pioneers with beautiful melodies, great performance and good deliverance makes this album quite worthy of the credit given to it.
12.11.2012 - 17:28
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Well, looks like I just found my album of the year thanks to you.
13.11.2012 - 18:56
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Great review and the best part is that you mentioned this album is not a kind of showmanship I agree with this 100 percent ! Exactly these guys just wrote what they've felt with great amount of music knowledge they have got.And BTW one of the best albums of 2012 I have listened to so far.This album was just pure music , so memorable so beautiful and in some moments so heavy at the same time.
24.12.2012 - 21:27
Gelati

Truly beautiful album that focuses primarily on the piece of music and not the individual talent.
01.03.2013 - 18:44
Rating: 6
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I don't know, maybe I missed something, but I don't exactly see how these guys fit into the progressive metal niche. They are atmospheric alright, but progressive? Not under my definition.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy

Hits total: 13692 | This month: 14