06. March Of The Poozers
07. Wandering Eye
08. Earth
09. Ziltoid Goes Home
10. Dimension Z

Featured In "Getting Into: Devin Townsend: Part III: The 2010s"

Additional info
Produced by Devin Townsend.

Additional character vocals by Eric Severinson, Marina Bennet, Maria Werner, Jazz-A-Fire, Sheldon Zaharko, Adyson King.
Backing vocals by the Universal Choir (see universalchoir.insideoutmusic.com for the names of the participants).
Additional backing vocals by the audience of Utrecht Tivoli, August 5th 2014.

Tigers In A Tank Choir: Eric Severinson, Marina Bennet, Eric Wettstsin, Jaclyn Guillou, Jennifer Katchur Uvence, Nick Andrew Sommer, Jocelyn Crandell, Tiffany Oakes, Juhli Conlinn, Cassandra Bangel, Nicolas Bermudez.

Choirs orchestrated and conducted by Eric Severinson. Orchestra orchestrated by Florian Magnus Maler.

Sky Blue and Dark Matters were re-released in 2015 as two stand-alone albums.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Uh oh, Apothecary is reviewing a prog album. Hold onto your undergarments, ladies and gentlemen, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Read more ››
published 22.10.2014 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
BlueMobius
Rating:
I could go into reviewing the music of Devin Townsend's latest opus, the double-album Z2, but there is something nagging at me about the Ziltoid The Omniscient follow-up, Dark Matters, and its disc one companion, Sky Blue from the Devin Townsend Project.

Read more ››
published 06.12.2014 | Comments (4)

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 61   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 802 users
26.10.2014 - 19:29
Rating: 8
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Sky Blue is a grower. Now I think it's better than Epicloud, still not as good as Addicted though. Both discs are worth 8.5.
27.10.2014 - 00:16
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So... How do I vote for this? Should I take an average or something?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.10.2014 - 02:53
Rating: 7
Doge of Venice
Aw man, I frickin' love Universal Flame.
27.10.2014 - 13:16
Zap
Written by Karlabos on 27.10.2014 at 00:16

However you want. Rate the one you like the most. Or the one you like the least. Or an average of both. Or the one you were most anticipating. Or turn on the tv and see what channel it's on and pick the number of that channel.
28.10.2014 - 08:33
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by Zap on 27.10.2014 at 13:16

However you want. Rate the one you like the most. Or the one you like the least. Or an average of both. Or the one you were most anticipating. Or turn on the tv and see what channel it's on and pick the number of that channel.

Channel 11. What do I do ?
28.10.2014 - 11:02
Zap
Written by andreosokin on 28.10.2014 at 08:33

1+1=2
28.10.2014 - 15:24
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by Guest on 28.10.2014 at 08:43

Written by andreosokin on 28.10.2014 at 08:33

Lead a revolution.

Hehe I wish I could But so far this album sounds like Channel 8 for me.
28.10.2014 - 16:30
Doge of Venice
Written by Zap on 22.10.2014 at 00:58

Gotta say I'm very disappointed. Only listened to the Dark Matters part so far, but it's what I expected most from. (since Sky Blue is probably just another Epiclouder, which was alright, but not exactly what I want more of)

So yeah, one of the main problems is that it seems like he's trying to do too much. I'm glad it's not a ZTO copy, but on the other hand it seems most of the spirit of that album is entirely gone here. ZTO was basically a parody/satire album, while Z² comes dangerously to what the first one was parodying.

Standout tracks: March Of The Poozers

I agree. March of the Poozers is the best song by a mile.

Also, from my initial listens to Sky Blue, it is a bit of a continuation of Epicloud, BUT, I feel it's somewhat more varied and also more industrial/electro at points. It kind of reminds me of a less heavy version of this...

Overall impressions - Good album. Not bad, nothing special. Dark Matters definitely is better listened to as one entity. Except March of the Poozers. The only one I feel comfortable listening to out of context. Oh, and I haven't listened to the non-dialogue disc, though I imagine that would probably help the songs feel stronger individually.
28.10.2014 - 16:41
Zap
Written by Doge of Venice on 28.10.2014 at 16:30

Also, from my initial listens to Sky Blue, it is a bit of a continuation of Epicloud, BUT, I feel it's somewhat more varied and also more industrial/electro at points. It kind of reminds me of a less heavy version of this...

Overall impressions - Good album. Not bad, nothing special. Dark Matters definitely is better listened to as one entity. Except March of the Poozers. The only one I feel comfortable listening to out of context. Oh, and I haven't listened to the non-dialogue disc, though I imagine that would probably help the songs feel stronger individually.

I think Dark Matters is pretty bad, though Sky Blue is alright. Which is also a problem for me, since I expected to like Dark Matters a lot more. But yeah, March Of The Poozers is pretty cool and vastly superior to the rest of the album.
I didn't make that Neurotech connection myself, but I see where you're coming from.
28.10.2014 - 17:54
Doge of Venice
Written by Zap on 28.10.2014 at 16:41

Written by Doge of Venice on 28.10.2014 at 16:30

I think Dark Matters is pretty bad, though Sky Blue is alright. Which is also a problem for me, since I expected to like Dark Matters a lot more. But yeah, March Of The Poozers is pretty cool and vastly superior to the rest of the album.
I didn't make that Neurotech connection myself, but I see where you're coming from.

Sky Blue is definitely the better side, yes. I expected to like Dark Matters more, but I guess that was because I was hoping for something slightly more similar to old Ziltoid to what we got. I mean, I expected it to be old Ziltoid amplified in hugeness, but we got a bit of a messy musical with a story that doesn't really flow very well, and music that sounds like Devin was trying to do too much with the material - the old Ziltoid was better because there was a lot less going on (and he still managed to keep his Wall o' Sound with less going on).
28.10.2014 - 18:00
Zap
Written by Doge of Venice on 28.10.2014 at 17:54

Sky Blue is definitely the better side, yes. I expected to like Dark Matters more, but I guess that was because I was hoping for something slightly more similar to old Ziltoid to what we got. I mean, I expected it to be old Ziltoid amplified in hugeness, but we got a bit of a messy musical with a story that doesn't really flow very well, and music that sounds like Devin was trying to do too much with the material - the old Ziltoid was better because there was a lot less going on (and he still managed to keep his Wall o' Sound with less going on).

My thoughts exactly. I don't mind that it's not a carbon copy of ZTO, but a little bit of the feeling from that album would have helped a ton.
28.10.2014 - 21:10
Rating: 9
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
Just listened the first time to Dark Matters and right now listening to Sky Blue. I have to say Dark Matters is a fun cd. If you looked for a clone of Ziltoid The Omnisient, you´ll be dissapointed (as almost everyone has said by now). BUT if you're looking for the musical we were promised, this is a great listen. You can compare it to a campy Ayreon album in my opinion. Maybe not a good comparison, but it was the first thing that came to mind if I had to compare it with anything in the genre. As far as I have heard Sky Blue (now at the song Sky Blue) I understand why people are linking this more than Dark Matters. Because Sky Blue is an album and not a musical with narration like Dark Matters. I see myself listening more to sky blue than Dark Matters. Dark Matters can be seen as a radio drama and takes more effort to listen to. I'm sorry if this text is a little messy, but I just wrote down what came to mind. As a Devin fan I can say I'll give both albums the same amount of attention. And I'll see which one I'll like the most.
30.10.2014 - 18:34
Eternity'sChild
I have listened through Dark Matters now and I think that it's a brilliant record. I'm not too sure about Sky Blue yet, some songs are great, some songs do nothing for me. But both albums need more spins, so I can be sure about my opinion - just wanted to have my thoughts written down here.
31.10.2014 - 01:41
Opethian
Just got Z2. This better take a shit on everything he's done after 'Deconstruction'
31.10.2014 - 02:01
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Opethian on 31.10.2014 at 01:41

Just got Z2. This better take a shit on everything he's done after 'Deconstruction'

Unfortunately it doesn't. =(
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
31.10.2014 - 02:02
Opethian
Written by Karlabos on 31.10.2014 at 02:01

Written by Opethian on 31.10.2014 at 01:41

Unfortunately it doesn't. =(

lol, more like Epicloud 2.

This is bad. I think i'm done with Devin. Everything after 'Deconstruction' has been too "Glamorous' and elements such as, 'Aggression, energy & Inspiration' has all been thrown out the window. This is boring
04.11.2014 - 06:28
JÄY
Metal slave
Would have rated an 8 if I hadn't listened to the unnarrated version of dark matters (third disc) it sounds like a different album without all the interruptions.
07.11.2014 - 15:32
gnirpz
Written by JÄY on 04.11.2014 at 06:28

Would have rated an 8 if I hadn't listened to the unnarrated version of dark matters (third disc) it sounds like a different album without all the interruptions.

Ah shit! I bought the LP version. I tought it was unusefull to have the extra version without the lyrics. Now with your comments, I'll bought the extra CD.
07.11.2014 - 20:11
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by gnirpz on 07.11.2014 at 15:32

Ah shit! I bought the LP version. I tought it was unusefull to have the extra version without the lyrics. Now with your comments, I'll bought the extra CD.

You won't be sorry. I think it's best to hear the narrated version first to get a grip on the story.... Once you know it, the music, alone, carries the story.
08.11.2014 - 00:12
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

Rate the one you like the most. Or the one you like the least. Or an average of both. Or the one you were most anticipating. Or turn on the tv and see what channel it's on and pick the number of that channel.

Input 2/10, Album of the Year
11.11.2014 - 19:13
PrepareForMetal
Account deleted
This is my first time with the band , and i don't know what to think. I really like "Rejoice" it sounds pretty unique also "Deathray" and "March Of The Poozers". The rest well , not bad but not heavy , more melodic stuff. Worth a listen I think.
13.11.2014 - 14:55
atrox
Too much talking - I just want to enjoy the music!
14.11.2014 - 19:43
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by atrox on 13.11.2014 at 14:55

Listen to the third disc on the special edition....music only!
14.11.2014 - 21:42
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Once I said that disc2 is better than disc1... I was probably drunk.
17.11.2014 - 11:54
atrox
Written by JÄY on 14.11.2014 at 19:43

Written by atrox on 13.11.2014 at 14:55

Listen to the third disc on the special edition....music only!

Thank you for the note, silly me
21.11.2014 - 10:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Probably the first time I've said this about an album, but Sky Blue is too long. It drags in parts.
Also, what was the War Princess' 3rd attack? I need to know!
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
27.11.2014 - 19:56
gnirpz
Written by JÄY on 07.11.2014 at 20:11

Written by gnirpz on 07.11.2014 at 15:32

You won't be sorry. I think it's best to hear the narrated version first to get a grip on the story.... Once you know it, the music, alone, carries the story.

I just listened the Raw Version. I'm totally agree with you! Without the dialogues, it's different and... better. I can't wait until next Monday! Devin in Montréal!
16.12.2014 - 16:34
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Sky Blue wants to be an 8 but Dark Matters is really asking for a 6, so I guess a 7 is fair for the combo.
05.01.2015 - 11:34
Joe Zombie
Hmm. 7.9? I think the rating here is criminal, but thats me. I love this album (both discs) and have listened to it almost daily since its release. Sky Blue is the victor however Dark Matters is an excellent follow-up to Ziltoid.
27.02.2016 - 00:20
Doge of Venice
Sky Blue grows on me each listen, but some songs annoy me. Rejoice and Silent Militia, mainly. I still like Rejoice, sometimes, but i just can't be bothered listening to it whenever i put the album on. Might upgrade overall rating to 8

Hits total: 16614 | This month: 38