03. Broken Bottle Rape
04. Break The Cross In Half [feat. Rebecca Scammon]
05. Lost Remains
06. Slit Wrists
07. Stab
08. The Night Bleeds
09. Compulsion To Brutalize
10. Eternal Darkness

Chris Barnes ruins everything. Never in the history of music has anyone managed to shoot their own band in the foot more times than Chris Barnes. Even Nathan Explosion can hold it together long enough to record his vocals properly, and he's not even real. There must be some kind of law against utterly destroying this many albums. I'm shocked that Six Feet Under have not yet kicked Chris out and started anew as a band with an actual singer. I was hoping for a Graveyard Classics IV to review, but this will do.

"Gruesome" fooled me. That song is a loose cannon that doesn't play by the rules and gets things done; it sounds like The Bleeding-era Cannibal Corpse played by Evisceration Plague-era Cannibal Corpse. After a minute of "Gruesome," I was almost ready to apologize to Six Feet Under and give them the benefit of the doubt, hoping that maybe they had made the conscious decision to not totally suck for once. Almost. Then I came to my senses. Much in the same way that Chris likes to throw one sucker punch and run away to hide on his tour bus, he throws out one good song and then abandons all responsibility for finishing the album. Of course, that still gives him far too much credit, because his? inimitable vocals feed "Gruesome" through the wood chipper to the point that it, too, might as well be euthanized like the dead horse they've been flogging. Maybe we can hook these guys up with the screaming mental patients that Stalaggh use for their vocals.

As much as I would like to blame Chris's voice for the entirety of this braindead cesspool of fetid failure, I cannot. We also have to consider his songwriting abilities. At least I usually get the impression that Six Feet Under would be listenable, even enjoyable, if anyone else handled the vocals. Literally anyone. Even me. The six-year-old girl from Sockweb. Saturn's moon Enceladus. A hyena. The color blue. Bono. Okay, not Bono. But you see my point: while no one would ever call them a shining paragon of innovative, world-class death metal, Six Feet Under would be about 800% less irredeemable garbage without the constant sound of Chris hacking up a hairball.

Not so with Crypt Of The Devil; much like on their godawful Graveyard Classics series, the instrumentalists of Six Feet Under demonstrate their impeccable ability to make ten songs sound like one horribly disastrous song. Even without Chris the Terrible behind the wheel, there would be no saving these abysmally grueling concoctions of cancerous stomach acid and regurgitated goat brains. Already by "Open Coffin Orgy" they stumble around haphazardly, as if it were the first death metal song they had ever written. Crypt Of The Devil maintains roughly that same level of indistinguishable, pasty blandness for the rest of its intensely boring running time. At least you don't have to worry about being environmentally conscious if you buy this album, because it's made of 100% recycled materials.

Calculating the final score for this album was a simple procedure. Incredibly average death metal = 6, automatically divided in half due to the presence of Chris Barnes. Do you remember the scene in the original Dawn Of The Dead where Roger kills a zombie by shoving a screwdriver through its ear? Well, I can't confirm this, but I suspect that Chris's mission was to replicate on record the experience of that unfortunate corpse. That's certainly how I feel after multiple sessions of Crypt Of The Devil.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 2
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 2
Production: 6

Written on 15.04.2015 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 29   Visited by: 358 users
16.04.2015 - 02:29
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
I am dying of laughter
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
16.04.2015 - 02:36
Ras

This is great. MOAR.
16.04.2015 - 02:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I've never listened to this band, I have no idea who Chris Barnes is, but all I know is this is one of the best reviews I've ever read. Respect.
----
rekt
16.04.2015 - 02:42
bleak
Account deleted
Agree... Chris Barnes is a hopelessly awful singer. Just unlistenable.

"At least you don't have to worry about being environmentally conscious if you buy this album, because it's made of 100% recycled materials."
16.04.2015 - 02:44
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
The 6 yo girl form Sockweb kicks ass by the way.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.04.2015 - 02:53
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 16.04.2015 at 02:40

I have no idea who Chris Barnes is

You may know him as the man who helped make the only worthwhile Cannibal Corpse album before Torture.

That's "The Bleeding" in case you missed it the first time around.
16.04.2015 - 02:53
Rating: 3
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Karlabos on 16.04.2015 at 02:44

The 6 yo girl form Sockweb kicks ass by the way.

Agreed. I would be genuinely pleased if she replaced Chris Barnes.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.04.2015 - 06:51
Absak

Written by Guest on 16.04.2015 at 02:53

Written by tea[m]ster on 16.04.2015 at 02:40

I have no idea who Chris Barnes is

You may know him as the man who helped make the only worthwhile Cannibal Corpse album before Torture.

That's "The Bleeding" in case you missed it the first time around.

Nah, Bloodthirst is pretty awesome as well.
16.04.2015 - 09:42
Windrider
Raureif
I would rather pay for this review than for the album, great haha
16.04.2015 - 12:34
Uldreth

Written by Windrider on 16.04.2015 at 09:42

I would rather pay for this review than for the album, great haha

The question is, then, if this review was shipped with the album, would you buy it?

Awesome review btw!
16.04.2015 - 13:08
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
You guys are too kind.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.04.2015 - 14:48
Rating: 5
musicalkaratekid

I got a good laugh from this review, but it's very well-written too. I didn't think Chris Barnes was that bad a vocalist though, I mean "The Bleeding" is by far my favourite CC album.
16.04.2015 - 15:17
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I actually like Barnes' vocals. They give that tongue-in-cheek feeling to the band which makes it interesting and different from the other millions of death bands.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.04.2015 - 15:42
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by musicalkaratekid on 16.04.2015 at 14:48

I got a good laugh from this review, but it's very well-written too. I didn't think Chris Barnes was that bad a vocalist though, I mean "The Bleeding" is by far my favourite CC album.

He used to be a pretty good vocalist, but only during a small window. He did a fine job with the Cannibal Corpse stuff, particularly Tomb of the Mutilated, but already by The Bleeding he was starting to show some wear and tear. I love those albums, but pretty soon after that he just took a massive dive to the point where I find his voice too laughable to be listenable.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.04.2015 - 18:46
barnesy

I've never listened to this band either. But after reading this review I was curious as to hear the vocals. After a ten second sample off YouTube I've got to admit, terms like godawful, cesspool, and fetid failure are too kind. Fortunately the dude's got a good last name.
17.04.2015 - 02:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree whit it it , I like your rating, don't recall any official reviewer gives so low ratings, but I agree
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.04.2015 - 06:27
-Morbid-

I seem to be the only person in the world that kinda likes the Graveyard Classics series. They are sorta terrible but I guess that's what makes them (sorta) fun to me. Then again that's maybe a sign of just how lame this band is normally, when their goofy covers albums are the only ones that I can ever listen to...

Well, "Haunted" wasn't too terrible if I'm remember correctly... Haven't listened to it in I dunno how long, so maybe it was.
18.04.2015 - 01:02
Vombatus
Potorro
This is hilarious

(and really well written)
18.04.2015 - 09:39
Fromabove

I like Undead and Unborn a lot. Best 2 SFU records in my opinion. I did not trust this release for some reason and will not buy it. I do not want to ruin the feelings I have for their 2 previous releases.
18.04.2015 - 14:09
Panterica

It seems to me that you found the musical equivalent to Tommy Wiseau's The Room. You got me intrigued.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
19.04.2015 - 12:39
Timmeh
Dudeman
Sheeeesh! You weren't kidding, I listened to one minute-twenty seconds of open coffin orgy and got indigestion.
22.04.2015 - 17:35
take dead

I know there is freedom of speech, but some individuals should be censored. This one should definitely retire from writing reviews from now on. We all would benefit from that. Just to clarify, I am not a Chris Barnes fan. I am just disgusted when I read guys like this one.
22.04.2015 - 21:01
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by take dead on 22.04.2015 at 17:35

I am not a Chris Barnes fan.

Considering you just wrote that a well-established reviewer should be censored and should retire just because of his opinion on an album that deserves all the negative reception it can get as a flat-out awful album, I think we both know that's not true. You're clearly a fanboy.
23.04.2015 - 09:44
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief

I know there is freedom of speech, but some individuals should be censored.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
23.04.2015 - 16:28
Uldreth

I know there is freedom of speech, but some individuals should be censored. This one should definitely retire from writing reviews from now on. We all would benefit from that. Just to clarify, I am not a Chris Barnes fan. I am just disgusted when I read guys like this one.

Yeah dude, fun is a crime.

You should be censored tbh.
23.04.2015 - 17:48
take dead

I listen to metal music from around 30 years, also play it. I heard few songs from this album and it sounds good. Is well played and the vocal is decent too, kind of original. As I wrote previously I'm not an enthusiast of guy's vocal and I also think that it was good move to replace him by Corpsegrinder by Cannibals. I normally do not waste time to comment things but when I came across shit like this one simply could not resist. Many people may avoid to listen to music just because of guys like this. This review is worth less than my last mourning stool. After reading this piece of junk I decided to check out some of guy's previous reviews nad I can tell you - he does not have clue about good music. For example Rigor Mortis - Slaves To The Grave -9.0. You guys obviously follow the guy, like him on Facebook and strictly stick to his suggestions.
23.04.2015 - 18:01
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by take dead on 23.04.2015 at 17:48

I listen to metal music from around 30 years, also play it. I heard few songs from this album and it sounds good. Is well played and the vocal is decent too, kind of original. As I wrote previously I'm not an enthusiast of guy's vocal and I also think that it was good move to replace him by Corpsegrinder by Cannibals. I normally do not waste time to comment things but when I came across shit like this one simply could not resist. Many people may avoid to listen to music just because of guys like this. This review is worth less than my last mourning stool. After reading this piece of junk I decided to check out some of guy's previous reviews nad I can tell you - he does not have clue about good music. For example Rigor Mortis - Slaves To The Grave -9.0. You guys obviously follow the guy, like him on Facebook and strictly stick to his suggestions.

That's the worst example you could come up with? You must have missed the part where I gave Lulu a 7.4 or Anthrax's Worship Music a 9.6 or Massacre's Back From Beyond an 8. And for your information, nobody on Facebook likes me.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
17.09.2020 - 09:34
Rating: 5
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
What the fuck did you just fucking say about Six Feet Under, you little bitch? I'll have you know Chris Barnes graduated top of his class in the Death Metal Academy, and he's been involved in numerous secret raids on poser fucks, and they have over 300 confirmed badass singles. He is trained in gutturals and he's the top growler in the entire US death metal scene. You are nothing to him but just another target. He will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark his fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to him over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak he is contacting my secret network of metalheads across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. Chris Barnes can be anywhere, anytime, and he can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with his bare hands. Not only is he extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Metalhead Corps and he will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. Six Feet Under will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
24.11.2020 - 16:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
"Bono. Okay, not Bono"

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 7498 | This month: 15