Metal Storm logo
Myrkur - Entire Debut Album Streaming Online

Danish black metal phenom Myrkur has unveiled several songs from her impending anticipated debut album, M. While the album will be officially out on the 21st of August 2015 via Relapse Records, a full stream of the eleven-song offering is now available at this location. Go listen to it! How would you rate Myrkur's debut album?

M was recorded in various locations of Oslo, Norway (including a tomb in Emanuel Vigeland's Museum) with co-producer Garm - the mastermind behind black metal legends Ulver and rounded out on record by members of Mayhem and Nidingr plus a guest appearance from Christopher Amott of Arch Enemy fame.

Source: relapse.com
Band profile: Myrkur
Posted: 16.08.2015 by Bad English

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   Visited by: 162 users
16.08.2015 - 23:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 16.08.2015 at 23:42
Yeah there's some consistency problems I would say. I remember thinking that the debut whatever-it-was had similar problems, that it was maybe bit too Alcest-y for some / Burzum-y for others and didn't find much middle ground. I definitely enjoyed it though, but then I haven't listened to much new music in months so perhaps I'm being more forgiving.

Yeah I can relate to that. I've been hella lazzy to properly check new music because I came to a point where I have so many albums lying around at home so I promised myself to not buy anything until I finish going through all the albums I bought and haven't yet listened... unless it's like a really special "gonna-sell-out-soon" album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.08.2015 - 00:00
Ilham
Giant robot
The problem is age old. Women doing stuff whether it is bad or good is never the problem. It is the way they're marketed/talked about. The latest gender-related media fiasco proved it once again. Once Bruce became Caitlyn, the only thing everyone started to talk about is if she was beautiful/feminine/fuckable, gone were her medals and her merits - if there are any. The quality never matters when there's a female component.

Now she can't help how people are using her or her music to get clicks or sell magazines. Just let her have it. Let her do her thing now that she gained attention. She broke the surface, and even if someone doesn't agree with how (I don't entirely like it either), it's time to move on to another topic.

I remember the EP not being half bad, but I am not fond of the ethereal vocals. Are there any of those in this one?
17.08.2015 - 00:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ilham on 17.08.2015 at 00:00
Are there any of those in this one?

Yes.

Also, I didn't know shit about the medals until I made own research out of sheer curiosity when I saw Bruce (back when she was Bruce). Because I'm an uncultured swine.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.08.2015 - 00:08
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.08.2015 at 00:03

Yes.

Damn. I'll just abstain then.
17.08.2015 - 00:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
All I see Jooe is back and forum is alive again
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.08.2015 - 01:14
Vombatus
Potorro
I'm not fond of the music so might be a bit biased but for me, the only merit of this Myrkur is the marketing campaign. Musically it's nothing too original, average at best. Plus the one female BM band thing was done before. Yet it's on a known label, gets helped out by known musicians and gets immense media coverage. The female component enhances even more this buzz as people still seem surprised some women play BM.
17.08.2015 - 01:17
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Second Myrkur album. Second discussion about women in metal and marketing influences...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.08.2015 - 02:09
Zap
Written by Karlabos on 16.08.2015 at 20:34

Why so?

Any time this band shows up anywhere, I always see a lot of people focusing more on the fact that it's made by a woman than on the quality of the music.
17.08.2015 - 02:14
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 17.08.2015 at 00:00

The problem is age old. Women doing stuff whether it is bad or good is never the problem. It is the way they're marketed/talked about. The latest gender-related media fiasco proved it once again. Once Bruce became Caitlyn, the only thing everyone started to talk about is if she was beautiful/feminine/fuckable, gone were her medals and her merits - if there are any. The quality never matters when there's a female component.

Now she can't help how people are using her or her music to get clicks or sell magazines. Just let her have it. Let her do her thing now that she gained attention. She broke the surface, and even if someone doesn't agree with how (I don't entirely like it either), it's time to move on to another topic.

I remember the EP not being half bad, but I am not fond of the ethereal vocals. Are there any of those in this one?

This is the exact same reason why I got so pissed at everyone when Arch Enemy got Alissa as their new vocalist. Everyone who I talked to about that only mentioned stuff about 'how hot she was' or how she's more/less attractive than Angela or similar things. No one talked about what she could bring to the band or her ability as a vocalist as opposed to say, Bloodbath, when they announced Nick Holmes as the new vocalist. I think this is also the case then those 'fairy goth' bands like Nightwish and the such announce a new vocalist but I don't pay to much attention to that.

It just pisses me the fuck off. Like, who gives a shit
17.08.2015 - 02:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Zap on 17.08.2015 at 02:09

Written by Karlabos on 16.08.2015 at 20:34

Why so?

Any time this band shows up anywhere, I always see a lot of people focusing more on the fact that it's made by a woman than on the quality of the music.

Oh, in that case, yeah. Deja vu. Time loop actually
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.08.2015 - 03:46
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Damn, do you really need to make such a big deal when a woman releases a album in Metal? Don't like it, don't listen to it. Fun thing is, you're getting the band even more popular, I only came here because I saw so many comments.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
17.08.2015 - 07:26
HeavyWork

This girl needs to marry me.
17.08.2015 - 08:38
Malignar

Middling to not very good would be my thoughts after listening. No interesting guitar work and vocals are way too high in the mix.
17.08.2015 - 11:40
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Definitely better than the ep. It reminded me of Woods Of Desolation, Alcest, Midnattsol, MurkRat and Herodias at different times. Basically sounds like a black metal version of MurkRat. Rather gothy and folky at times, too.
And because if I quote the bits I want to reply to it'd look like an absolute clusterfuck:
I agree it's not the future of black metal, cause it isn't that different to what Alcest has already done.
Sure, the Slaughtercult have nothing resembling an original idea, but they still play really enjoyable music with what I think is the number 3 (and number 1 still active) vocalist in the genre.
If women who play black metal automaticly get publicity, where was Aenygmist's publicity?
What does derp and plebby mean, anyway?
Does anyone else on this site like Gallhammer?
Yes, I pay more attention to bands with female vocalists because I prefer female vocals over male vocals.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.08.2015 - 12:13
UnknownCheese

Has anyone actually seen her live videos? She can't even play guitar. It's doubtful she actually played much them on the album.
17.08.2015 - 12:16
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by UnknownCheese on 17.08.2015 at 12:13

Has anyone actually seen her live videos? She can't even play guitar. It's doubtful she actually played much them on the album.

Maybe she can't sing and play guitar at the same time? That was why Helloween hired Michael Kiske.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.08.2015 - 12:48
UnknownCheese

Written by M C Vice on 17.08.2015 at 12:16

Written by UnknownCheese on 17.08.2015 at 12:13

Maybe she can't sing and play guitar at the same time? That was why Helloween hired Michael Kiske.

I don't mean she's just there singing while the backing band plays, shes "playing" guitar while she sings. Strumming one note with the pick hand of someone that's barely ever touched a guitar while the backing guitarist plays the actual song. It's goofy as hell looking.

Her lesson videos aren't much better.

I mean, this band was a Relapse marketing ploy from the beginning, but they could have found a chick that can actually play the material they gave her.
18.08.2015 - 13:33
toxx
Supreme being
Loads of opinions on Myrkur here, so I guess I'll throw in mine in the mix as well.

I like it. I works for me. If it didn't, I would not listen to it anymore. Hype or not.

There you go!
20.08.2015 - 05:34
Rasputin

I think people are missing the point here. I doubt that it was "her" decision to market herself as a --Female Fronted BM-- or as a "Future of Black Metal" it was done by the label or by Terrorizer Magazine which exclaimed that Myrkur was the future of BM. Myrkur may not be something revolutionary, but it is a decent listen in comparison to 1000 other bands who still live in the time when they think attacking Xtianity and being offensive is something to be proud of or as a tool to get your KVLT status. As far as the music itself goes, Black Metal was always there to reinvent itself. I mean, I remember when to have a keyboard in BM was blasphemy and something to be avoided, and we look at it now and it is quite different.

I like the fact that at least this chick is trying to do something for the BM scene in North Europe, considering that Norwegian and Finnish scene took a dive, and has produced less and less quality albums. Even the bands that are and were considered to be institutions of BM (at least in the sense of 2nd/3rd wave of BM) have faltered, and are becoming such drama queens.

As far as Myrkur goes, I will say that to me it is refreshing and at least not boring and predictable, and as far as her "KVLT" status goes, I don't give a fuck, if you are respectful and you give it your best, I will support you, and I pre-ordered the album already.
23.08.2015 - 14:31
Ikuinen

Ignore the publicity and just listen to the Album... It's quite good

Hits total: 3149 | This month: 11