Release date: October 2021

01. Blackest Crow
02. Oh Sinner
03. Hard Time
04. Once I Had A Sweetheart
05. Black Is The Colour
06. Polly Gosford
07. Babes In The Woods

The year is 2053. The Body finally managed to collaborate with every band on Earth.

On one hand we have The Body, one of the most versatile noise makers, going from sludge to drone to noise to industrial over their two-decades-long career. Even more varied that their own discography is their penchant for collaborations. From grind masters Full Of Hell, towering sludge vindicators Thou, hellish dronesters Whitehorse, industrial punks Uniform, omnious blacksters Krieg, and the post-rock-ers of Vampillia and Braveyoung. And I'm sure there's at least somebody I'm missing. Oh, they already released one album this year.

On the other hand we have Big Brave. Stylized as either Big ‡ Brave or Big|Brave. They didn't collaborate with anyone else hitherto. But they've had their sound shift through post-rock, noise rock, drone metal into a mix of something I like to call "anxiety metal". Oh, they also already released one album this year.

So we have two noise making bands who usually deal with drones and general unpleasant heaviness of the sort. They collaborate, and I think that no one, given the bands' backgrounds, would have expected that Leaving None But Small Birds would be a psychedelic folk record. But the result does make sense.

Ok, so we know what we got into. How do two makers of heavy oppressive atmospheres fare at creating a psychedelic mellow one? Well, the folk they approach is pretty traditional. The lyrics are collected from a pool of Appalachian, Canadian, and English hymns and songs, but reworked into a new narrative of marginalized hardship. The music strives to reach the country folk roots of The Band, and so it does, even if the result is a bit more psychedelic that that. So you have the minimalist drone-ing that both bands are known for, but used for creating a slightly different atmosphere. This is clearly a folk album done by heavy bands. The glacial slabs of guitar noise here instead work towards a sense of dejected psychedelia, oppressive less as a repeating pummeling wave, but more as the sense that downtrodden we were, downtrodden we shall remain.

The album varies in heaviness over its runtime, and though there are no points on it I would unquestionably call drone metal, there are few moments that don't clearly have that as a foundation. Deep somewhere under the violins and pianos, or in full view as a slumbering beast. But the guitars are more bluesy, the sound more earthy, and the vocals show the same emotional palette through hymns and murder ballads.

I've heard my fair share of collaborative records. Some sound like a perfect mix of the two bands, some sound more like one than the other. Few actually sound like something completely different. Like Leaving None But Small Birds.

Written on 13.10.2021 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 63 users
13.10.2021 - 19:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Year is 2055 Radu has reviewed each band in metalstorm and retires from metslstorm admin positions and moves to home town and decide to stay there forever
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.10.2021 - 20:23
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Bad English on 13.10.2021 at 19:50

Year is 2055 Radu has reviewed each band in metalstorm and retires from metslstorm admin positions and moves to home town and decide to stay there forever

The dream
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
15.10.2021 - 00:24
Rating: 7
musclassia
Staff
Considering how incredibly annoying I can find The Body to be, and how unmoved I was by Big Brave's solo album this year, I found this collab to be surprisingly engaging - guess it's a 'greater than the sum of its parts' record for me
15.10.2021 - 10:09
nikarg
Staff
Given the names contributing on this, I should like this much less than I actually do.
Nice review, man.
15.10.2021 - 10:21
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
To strangely mirror what the two of you have said, I also like this more than the individual records from The Body and Big Brave, but I also like the latter two a lot.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 2386 | This month: 21