Metal Storm logo
Megadeth vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by -Valhalla-, 07.06.2006 - 03:18
Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.

Poll

Megadeth vs. Metallica

Megadeth
Metallica

Total votes: 971
01.12.2014 - 01:51
John Sandman
I love both bands but these days I listen a lot more to Megadeth than Metallica.

So Megadeth.
01.12.2014 - 03:48
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I'll stick with Metallica. Sure they sold-out releasing crappy music for the masses, but then again, Megadeth did that too. Ride The Lightning is my favorite thrash metal album of all time, and also, the best album I've ever heard from the 80's
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
03.12.2014 - 05:30
Wingtorte
Could never really sell myself on Megadeth. Just one of those bands like Anthrax that I could never stand, though the personalities involved played no small part in that. Not too say Metallica are any better in that respect, but at least I enjoyed their first two. That said I've never been much of a Metallica fan either.
04.01.2015 - 03:51
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I too, could never get into Megadeth or Anthrax. So of course, I voted Metallica. I mostly like Metallica's Heavy metal material (...and justice, black album) much more than their early Bay Area Thrash stuff, I don't really like Bay Area Thrash, it's just honestly my personal taste.
04.01.2015 - 18:44
Zap
I like them both about equally. They both released some amazing albums, and they both released some terrible albums. I guess the one thing Metallica has over Megadeth is still being a good live band. I saw both bands multiple times and Mustaine's vocals were usually horrible and there's just nothing going on on stage, whereas Metallica actually look like they're having a blast and still perform most of the songs decently.
05.01.2015 - 02:02
Zap
Written by deadone on 05.01.2015 at 01:03

I saw Megadeth in 2009 and they were awesome live. Mustaine's vocals were good too. Same gig had Slayer and Tom Araya lost his vocals completely and Slayer played pretty much an instrumental set.

Metallica were better when I saw them live but not by any great margin.

I also saw them in 2009 or 2008 and Mustaine's vocals were decent, but every other time after that they sucked ass. Also, Shawn Drover is the most soulless drummer ever.

Although I guess that's still better than Lars Ulrich hitting half of the shit he's supposed to.
02.01.2016 - 08:42
I wish that they were both one band because i love both of them
23.01.2016 - 23:32
Demonmayonnaise
The classic eras from both bands are amazing. However later Megadeth owns Metallica.
28.01.2016 - 21:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dave all life had problem, he wanted be bigger, he was pissed even 20 years after kicked out, all Megedeth idea was be better as Metallica, maybe that's why old Met albums where better, well heroin, drugs other idiot things he done, but later his plan worked, last 2 albums and well all after garaged metallica sucks, megadeth keeps on and all this BIG 4 is shit , Slayer sucks after Seasons, Anthrax, whole 90's and after albums are bad, crap, Metallica and Megadeth also wrote lame albums, even Symphony and Youthoneseia was good, Metallica put one good in 90's it was Black, cover album is cover, don't counts, well now seems Dave wicked plan worked
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.01.2016 - 14:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 28.01.2016 at 21:31

Dave all life had problem, he wanted be bigger, he was pissed even 20 years after kicked out, all Megedeth idea was be better as Metallica, maybe that's why old Met albums where better, well heroin, drugs other idiot things he done, but later his plan worked, last 2 albums and well all after garaged metallica sucks, megadeth keeps on and all this BIG 4 is shit , Slayer sucks after Seasons, Anthrax, whole 90's and after albums are bad, crap, Metallica and Megadeth also wrote lame albums, even Symphony and Youthoneseia was good, Metallica put one good in 90's it was Black, cover album is cover, don't counts, well now seems Dave wicked plan worked

Nope, like I said in the Dystopia thread. Megadeth are nowhere near as big as Metallica. Metallica sells out gig where 50,000 can attend whereas Megadeth doesn't even sell out way way way smaller venues where 10,000 people can attend.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.01.2016 - 18:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well I did not thought that fact, but in many cases Met fans are not metalhedas, just know band and don't listen IMO metal music on regular bases, but Meg makes better albums as Met does now, as new albums, songs, they kick more as as Met does, seems only what they can do is sold concerts, but same time, I think ppl who listens metal on regular bases would be equally on boat cases, same time I have seen old ppl in some wasp concers what did listen band in 80's but hasnot pick up anything after 90's ...
----

apos;'
[image]
29.01.2016 - 19:52
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.01.2016 at 14:05

Nope, like I said in the Dystopia thread. Megadeth are nowhere near as big as Metallica. Metallica sells out gig where 50,000 can attend whereas Megadeth doesn't even sell out way way way smaller venues where 10,000 people can attend.

thing is,the way they both sound live i would not pay and go to see them, based on show only .Both bands really started to show the signs of the old age ,for better or worse . Metallica can live on reputation (and contracts/deals/etc) only till they decide to quit ,but Megadeth (although a bit better band in my opinion) cant do that now and i think we are closer to day Dave ending it (or dragging it to oblivion till nobody cares).

Considering that there are less and less money to be made playing metal in this age we are lucky we can still see them both still kicking and filling any 5000 + people venues .
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
29.01.2016 - 22:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 29.01.2016 at 19:52

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.01.2016 at 14:05

thing is,the way they both sound live i would not pay and go to see them, based on show only .Both bands really started to show the signs of the old age ,for better or worse . Metallica can live on reputation (and contracts/deals/etc) only till they decide to quit ,but Megadeth (although a bit better band in my opinion) cant do that now and i think we are closer to day Dave ending it (or dragging it to oblivion till nobody cares).

Considering that there are less and less money to be made playing metal in this age we are lucky we can still see them both still kicking and filling any 5000 + people venues .

Metallica lives from fan boys and fab girls,.... ppl who has not checked albums after hight school still can see band and don't listend on regular bases
----

apos;'
[image]
29.01.2016 - 23:05
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Bad English on 29.01.2016 at 22:29

Metallica lives from fan boys and fab girls,.... ppl who has not checked albums after hight school still can see band and don't listend on regular bases

that too
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
29.01.2016 - 23:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 29.01.2016 at 23:05

Written by Bad English on 29.01.2016 at 22:29

that too

it only makes then mig, todays metalheads, new born as young in age, we have another bands, met is past, but never be deleted what they did , history is engraved on CD's .. but now there are better bands
----

apos;'
[image]
17.02.2017 - 12:33
nikarg
Staff
Megadeth. Dave has more talent than all Metallica members combined.
31.07.2017 - 11:28
Metren
Dreadrealm
Even though I enjoy Megadeth a lot more, my vote is for Metallica, bc they were immeasurably more influential. Don't even get me started on "Metallica sold out" as if Megadave didn't try just as hard (or harder) to pursue commercial success. Dave was never going to emulate Metallica's commercial success, but he did have the chance to be the guy, who didn't soften his band's sound for mass appeal. Too bad he was so obsessed with beating his former band for so long that he lost all of his integrity as a musician.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
26.08.2017 - 17:12
Vinther1991
Metallica by a landslide for me. During both bands prime, Metallica made more interesting albums to me. I would take Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All over anything Megadeth has made and Kill 'Em All over anything except Peace Sells.
And I'm also one of those that can enjoy other genres than Thrash Metal, so I really love Metallicas 90's output a lot. I like when a band experiments and expand their style. The Black Album, while not as strong as the albums that came before, was a rock solid album. Load was in my opinion even better, more uneven than Black Album perhaps, but the best songs on Load I think are among Metallica's best. Reload was also good, but a weaker version of Load. And then there's also the terrific Garage Inc!
St. Anger and Lulu are terrible, but I appreciate that they were willing to take chances, and at least in St. Anger it is clear that they put a lot of effort into it.

Death Magnetic was a return to form for me, had it not been for the poor production, it would rank among my favorites. Hardwired is another decent album, though they are beginning to show their age.

Megadeth I enjoy for their prime period, which for me was until and including Countdown to Extinction (which was already a step backwards, but still interesting enough). Their experimentation during the 90's never felt genuine to me neither did their "return to form" during the 00's and 10's. Their music lack emotion these days and they focus too much on the speed and technique. I get easily bored by thier music.

Metallica is easily among my top 3 metal bands. Megadeth would probably still make my top 10 or 15.
03.09.2017 - 23:26
TeachNThrash
Metallica probably has the lowest...lows? I think in general that they have better content overall. I like a few albums from Megadeth, but after Youthanasia, their albums ranged from bad to generic , overly-produced, new-wave of thrash sounding stuff. Aside from the production, I generally liked Death Magnetic as a whole, and Hardwired...To Self Destruct (ironically, taking a naming cue from Megadeth) was a respectable and enjoyable effort.
25.06.2018 - 22:58
Megadeth, for Rust In Peace
04.11.2019 - 23:15
All Metal
Megadeth by a long shot - once Mustaine didn't have writing credits on the first two Metallica albums, not much else was worth a listen.
28.06.2020 - 21:55
Zopilote
Metallica by far.

Megadeth had some good material in the 80s, but Metallica was unstoppable in that same time period and to me, their first 4 albums are better than Megadeth's entire catalogue. Mustaine is a phenomenal guitarist, but his vocals are horrible IMO and that always took away from a lot of their stuff for me.
29.03.2021 - 15:54
blackwreath13
I'll go with the fatheads.
10.07.2021 - 20:39
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I first loved Metallica. Then, when I discovered Megadeth, I couldn't stand listening to Metallica - they sounded so slow and uncreative in comparison to Mustaine's, Marty Friedmann's and Chris Poland's technical abilities. But now I've returned to listening to Metallica and I've found that I like them again.
For pure, raw thrash, Megadeth > Metallica.
Metallica have a different style and focus on balancing both faster and melodic elements. Metallica's four 80s albums are almost perfect, but I don't like the rest of their discography.
Megadeth have two perfect gems: Peace Sells and Rust in Peace. Their other albums don't reach the level of Metallica's 80s albums, but they always have good songs that one can find throughout their discography.
Overall, it's very close, but for me Metallica has one 10/10 album (Ride the Lightning), while Megadeth have two 10/10s (Peace Sells and Rust in Peace). But really, my preference depends on my mood
18.07.2021 - 18:53
Metal Rasputin
Megadeth by a mile. Metallica released three great albums back in the 80's and the rest has been more or less average to borderline unlistenable. Mid to late 90's was really bad period for Dave, but otherwise their stuff has mostly been at least good and enjoyable. Mustaine may be a prick, but he's really friggin' talented prick.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
31.07.2021 - 22:21
Iwan Ruby
Among them i listened to metallica first, but since listening Rust in Peace i prefer Megadeth! and the existence of Marty Friedman is also one of the reasons for me..
----
My Band COLDERRA
My Zine ORIDISTRO
03.12.2021 - 22:15
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor

This is an entertaining podcast-debate of Ride the Lightning vs Rust in Peace.

These two albums are in my top five all time favorite albums. I slightly prefer RIP, but RTL is also a practically flawless masterpiece.

This video does a track by track debate of the two. They came to the result:
Holy wars > fight fire
Hangar < Ride
Prisoners < Bell
Magics < Fade
Poison < Trapped
Lucretia > Escape
Tornado > Creeping Death
Dawn/Polaris > Ktulu
So a total score of 4:4.

For me, the hardest comparisons are "Magics vs Fade", "Tornado vs Creeping Death", and "Polaris vs Ktulu"

What do you guys think?
03.12.2021 - 22:43
Redel
Written by F3ynman2000 on 03.12.2021 at 22:15

What do you guys think?

Track-by-track comparisons dont make any sense to me.
Why would I compare tracks just because they share the same spot on two albums?
Rather give each album an overall score and compare the two outcomes.
(9.7 RIP vs. 9.4 RTL here, basically because RTL has two subpar songs imo).
04.12.2021 - 11:17
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by F3ynman2000 on 03.12.2021 at 22:15

What do you guys think?

Well here Is how I would rank all the songs together from both albums:

1. Holy Wars (RIP)
2. Creeping Death (RTL)
3. Tornado Of Souls (RIP)
4. Fade To Black (RTL)
5. Hangar 18 (RIP)
6. Rust In Peace.. Polaris (RIP)
7. For Whom The Bell Tolls (RTL)
8. Call Of Ktulu (RTL)
9. Ride The Lightning (RTL)
10. Five Magics (RIP)
11. Trapped Under Ice (RTL)
12. Lucretia (RIP)
13. Take No Prisoners (RIP)
14. Poison Was The Cure (RIP)
15. Dawn Patrol (RIP)
16. Fight Fire With Fire (RTL)
17. Escape (RTL)

Not much between the two albums imo, but Rust In Peace just about edges it for me.
04.12.2021 - 12:42
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Apart from maybe down patrol and lucretia, I'd take any track from RIP over any track from RTL