Metal Storm logo
Metallica: 'The New Song'

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 11.06.2006 - 07:57
I have recently heard a new song by Metallica. By now it is common knowledge that this legendary thrash metal band from Los Angeles, California was a strong innovator of the genre along with other thrash giants such as Testament, Exodus and Destruction. What many are growing to accept recently is that Metallica practically died after their break from the Black Album and have been making bad career moves since they became 'the new Metallica' over a decade ago. Their last album St. Anger kept nailing the coffin shut. Metallica was still falling into a large dark hole that Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield with the growing controversy surrounding the band helped to create. When illegally (yes, Lars, downloading) having a song send to me over MSN messenger, I grew increasingly impatient as to what the new song would sound like. Metallica fans were growing impatient during the last three years since the dissapointment of St. Anger. This song, recorded in Berlin and obviously on a cell phone or an mp3 player at a concert, gave me some new hope.

James Hetfield talked for over a minute before Metallica actually started playing the song. I was hearing a lot of people booing but the energy was kept up through Hetfield's little speech. Hetfield explained that the song hadn't even had a title yet and was simply called 'the new song'. Many people laughed over this. James also likes to tell the crowd that he sees familiar faces even though this can't possibly be true. His previously drunken blur of a memory would've wiped that clean. Metallica play a nice little introduction before getting into the song itself. Crunchy riffs played in detuning are given to the crowd as well as a melodic guitar composition before this that sounds slightly reminiscent to anything off of St. Anger. This section of the song is very spot-on and is accepted greatly by the crowd when Hetfield asks 'are you still out there?' The band gets into a fast thrashy introduction once again in detuning consisting of very little notes, seemingly strumming the same string over and over again repeatedly combined with Lars sloppy double-bass drum patterns in the background. Although this is a bit continuous, the fans go crazy over it. I will say once again that this song is better then anything off of St. Anger. The problem is that this will never top any previous songs that Metallica released in their heyday.

Metallica promised that St. Anger would be a return to their thrashier days but didn't live up to that. That promise seems to be fulfilled upon hearing this song. The heavy meaty chord work while keeping a nice melody makes one think of the Black Album. We have guitar solos people! Kirk Hammet belts out a guitar solo much to the pleasure of the individuals who were recording this for the millions of Metallica fans in front of a computer.

There is a lot of down tuned anti-melodic grinding after the solo is finished but 'the new song' is very promising. The chorus work might make someone scream out 'Load!' or 'Reload!' although the bluesy hard rock isn't there. I would say that this song has breathed some new life into the band. Those who have heard this leaked version can now breathe slightly easier in anticipation of the new album now being another St. Anger clone.

Thoughts?
25.06.2006 - 09:09
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...i dont know...metallica has changed alot of what they used to be...they've disappointed me with their new album and i hope someday they release something big because i think they can make great good things...i guess i still have a little hope for that to happen although its quite difficult...dont know...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
25.06.2006 - 10:04
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
Written by wrathchild on 11.06.2006 at 12:42

I've heard it, it's bad, but way better than St Anger. There's a fast solo (but not really outstanding) and some heavy riffing (especially right after the solo), but the rest is just a mix between Reload and St Anger. It also suffers from one of the biggest problem on Reload: lengthy songs that shouldn't have been so lengthy (this new song reaches about 8:30).

All in all, I enjoyed only the last 4 minutes, plus the intro/outro.

wow its like you read my mind, the start of the song fooled me into head banging and then after he starts to shit, i mean sing, all heaven breaks loose.the solo is MEH but atleast there is a solo LOL, something a metal band shouldnt have their fans saying, and then he begins again to shit, i mean sing, and then the finalae which was oki.

over all what wrath said fits this song 100%, i hope they get to change this song drastically before releasing it, otherwise we will be seeing st. anger on steriods, which oculdnt be good after all
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
25.06.2006 - 10:43
rat eat boy
Account deleted
I'm listening to the song right now. It sounds like they've shaped up a bit from their previous records. The intro sounded a little bit promising, but when vocals came in, I was disappointed. It sucks ass. It's like St.Anger and Load/ReLoad mixed together. I don't want to listen to the whole song, but I'm gonna suffer through it, you can't judge a song without hearing the whole song first. Somehow I feel like at some points of the song, they're trying to get the trashy, speedy feeling, but it ends out sounding sloppy, and not tight and trashy at all. I am veeery disappointed. I lost my respect for metallica when Shit Anger came out, and nothing is going to bring that respect back. It's pretty sad, because there are great bands that you love and appreciate, and there are great bands that you maybe don't love, but appreciate and respect. I think everyone should respect Black Sabbath for example. Nowadays, I can't even respect Metallica, or actually the "new metallica". We all still have respect and appreciation for the "older" metallica, but they are erasing themselves, and soon they will be hated, even by their most loyal fans. This song confirmed that Metallica is over. The phenomena, that once was Metallica, is gone.

I had some hope after the release of St. Anger, but this confirms that they just can't make a good song. I can't really say that Metallica is gone yet, because I can't judge a whole album by just one song. But this song didn't exactly give me hope of a Metallica making a good, heavy song, this just confirmed to me that Metallica is gone. But in the end, the old metallica will always be respected and appreciated. But I think it's time for the new metallica to just... cease to exist.
25.06.2006 - 12:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
The songs sounds like a ReLoad song and I don't mind. I think ReLoad is their worst album but I still like it.
----
25.06.2006 - 22:00
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Warman: Why would you like an album from a band's discography if you think it's their worst album? I think you've been swayed by too many opinions about Metallica and need to forge your own...
25.06.2006 - 22:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, it is quite normal to ackownledge it is their worst album, but if you're into Metallica it isn't weird to like it. It is still Metallica after all.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.06.2006 - 23:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=2084] on 25.06.2006 at 22:00

@Warman: Why would you like an album from a band's discography if you think it's their worst album? I think you've been swayed by too many opinions about Metallica and need to forge your own...

I still think it is a very good album ... I meant that ReLoad is their LEAST good album, my fault.
----
26.06.2006 - 02:11
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@rat eat boy: Yeah, the vocals suck a lot on the song...that's actually what made me think of Load and Reload...the thrash only sounds sloppy probably because they're still working on the piece...I personally don't think they should've of performed the song yet if they haven't gotten all the kinks figured out yet...saying that this song would make you loose any more respect is not too justifiable because:

a) it's completely new and obviously the kinks aren't worked out yet...
b) the song doesn't even have a title...what does THAT tell you of what to make out of a first impression of this song? not to take it too seriously until they have the shit straighted out with it and work it out entirely...
c) to let time tell and see what happens when you hear it when it comes out in 2007 along with the other songs that we haven't heard yet...
30.06.2006 - 04:14
nick35
Account deleted
its a pretty cool song the only problem is is jaymz cant sing. im glad to hear that its not anything like st.anger and the guitar work is back to their more old skool sound.im glad they finally have their heads screwed on tight
16.07.2006 - 13:35
Prowler84
Where I can find the new song
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
16.07.2006 - 16:17
RavenLord
Written by Prowler84 on 16.07.2006 at 13:35

Where I can find the new song

Most of the putfile/yousendit links are dead, so your best bet is to do a youtube search. I found this on YouTube, and the sound quality should be decent enough for you to judge the new song for yourself
----
27.08.2006 - 10:30
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I heard this song in hopes of maybe Metallica would get their act together.On this song they did however,not do that.These metal legends have so much to give,and we are just not getting enough. I just hope the next album is better than the song,because if not,Metallica may be done for.
27.08.2006 - 18:16
Travis
Account deleted
Everyone likes to bash Metallica these days and what you say sounds all too true to me but I have one thing I want to say, my favorite metallica album is RE-LOAD... Now I love Metallica all the way through except what can only be described as the biggest letdown in the history of music - st.anger..... So anyways back to what I wanted to say, I think the whole "going back to the more thrashy days" thing is really a bad way of looking at Metallica and I do realise James said it... Honestly up until st.anger I felt Metallica's music evolved for the better and the different directions they took their music at different periods really does make Metallica one of the few bands out there to offer such a variety whereas a band like say.... Megadeth (whom I love) really haven't changed all that much over time imho...

All that being said - I hope you're right about this new song, I really want the old Metallica back (Pre-st.anger that is)
29.08.2006 - 02:19
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Warman on 25.06.2006 at 12:30

The songs sounds like a ReLoad song and I don't mind. I think ReLoad is their worst album but I still like it.

hey, if you've heard the song could you give me a directory to it? it'd be really apreciated
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
25.04.2007 - 19:47
charon
Account deleted
Ive gone right off metallica's music it isnt what it used to be.
29.04.2007 - 23:50
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 29.08.2006 at 02:19

Written by Warman on 25.06.2006 at 12:30

hey, if you've heard the song could you give me a directory to it? it'd be really apreciated

here's "the new song"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hwsbUUEOT9g
here's "the other new song"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=snPAOzp2YOA

anybody know what the new album's going to be called?
30.04.2007 - 04:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Dan066: Well the intro was ok, I like how the guitar harmonized with the Bass, but the drum was fucking annoying. The main riff is sorta annoying, though it is good to hear them actually use double bass for more than a fraction of a second. I would say that overall the quality....well I still think it just sucks, it just isn't metalica.

The other new song sounds kinda thrashy in the intro, but I suppose quickly reduces to crap, like as soon as hetfield starts singing. I don't think the new Metalica album is hitting my album list upon it's release. I will say this though, good solo.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.05.2007 - 23:45
Rockium
Account deleted
I don't like The New Song,Metallica is down
10.05.2007 - 01:55
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 30.04.2007 at 04:15

@Dan066: Well the intro was ok, I like how the guitar harmonized with the Bass, but the drum was fucking annoying. The main riff is sorta annoying, though it is good to hear them actually use double bass for more than a fraction of a second. I would say that overall the quality....well I still think it just sucks, it just isn't metalica.

The other new song sounds kinda thrashy in the intro, but I suppose quickly reduces to crap, like as soon as hetfield starts singing. I don't think the new Metalica album is hitting my album list upon it's release. I will say this though, good solo.

i completely agree with you, only thing i disagree on is that the other new song doesn't seem thrashy to me in the intro, i think it sounds more like a punk rock song. I totally agree on the drums sounding annoying on the new song. Metallica needs to either give up or bring Cliff back to life.
10.05.2007 - 02:04
Nixx
Account deleted
I like how they play, but James voice just, isn't what it used to be, for all I know it's supposed to be completly different in how he sings the songs, plus they say that the lyrics doesn't exist for the songs yet.

So I'll just wait for the studio album (yes I'll buy it, as long as it isn't pop, screamo or whatever) to say what I think.
10.05.2007 - 12:18
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by [user id=2084] on 11.06.2006 at 07:57

I have recently heard a new song by Metallica. By now it is common knowledge that this legendary thrash metal band from Los Angeles, California was a strong innovator of the genre along with other thrash giants such as Testament, Exodus and Destruction.

Cant believe you ACTUALLY said this , people give Destruction as a example of GODZ of German thrash .... anyways.
I personally feel that Metallica's is done , i enjoy all the early stuff and i think they just cant play what they use to do. They are still god of thrash metal , no matter that i dont give a shit what they did in St Anger and the crap they gonna release . Didnt like the new song by metallica , some die hard metallica fans ( freidn of mine ) says that the solo is back .... so what.
10.05.2007 - 15:36
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
Metallica has changed as individuals as all of us have throughout the years. I don't like the same kind of music I did twenty years ago, neither do I want things to stay the same or repeat themselves. I think Metallica are a great band. I don't want to hear a "new" Master Of Puppets. Don't label them as anything, they're just trying to have fun...
10.05.2007 - 15:52
vapotrini
Let's be honest: Every album from the Black album forward has been to say the very least, sub par... with each release getting progressively worse. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it did! Now over 15 years later we have people still hoping for another RTL or MOP. lol c'mon guys, seriously... this band is so past washed up it's not even funny. The simple truth is, they don't have the ability to play that music anymore.

Mind boggling to me that people are actually STILL holding on...

Time to let go.
11.05.2007 - 17:21
High and Mighty
Account deleted
Metallica is Metallica. I'm trying to lose none of their shows since four years ago because live nobody's Metallica.
I don't think they're crap as most people label them. They're on their own way of producing music. Even St. Anger when performed live it's something only Metallica could do, IMPRESSIVE!

I had the chance to hear the new song live and it was amazing. That band is something!
12.05.2007 - 02:37
Relentless
Account deleted
I am an old dude so old infact I can remember seeing Metallica live with Cliff. I must say the new material since 'Load' has been very dissapointing for me. I buy the album and sit there thinking "it's alright" compared to when I bought Puppets or Lighting when those albums had me buzzing straight away. It saddens me but Metallica have lost their way in the last few years, getting rid of Bob Rock would be a start or maybe it would'nt.
12.05.2007 - 19:27
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Musically the song isnt as bad as it could be, lyrically its terrible in my opinion, they seem to be uninpsired lyrically and vocally james is failing. I dont see any substance there but well maybe they enjoy playing it. Theres so many pressure on them that I think everything they release will be criticized. But then again they have the money and we just listen to the music.

Whatever they may release they stand firm as one of my bands.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.09.2007 - 02:26
Metal Freak
Musically, it's fairly good, but James' vocals are poor.

I've not a Metallica-basher, but I've been disappointed with their recent stuff (Load onwards - I actually liked the Black Album). Yet I like to keep hope that they'll come out with a great album again even though it may be hopeless. Based upon the new song, it'll probably be better than their recent stuff, but hardly classic.
----
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things, but for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
--Steven Weinberg
18.09.2007 - 06:42
?Master?
Account deleted
i like the new song and the new song#2 haha
but maybe thats cause i like METALLICA
not like just one c.d.
regardless of how u look it bands change
at least they sound good changing...
yea its not the same but its not total shit....
03.12.2007 - 05:14
Bow To Cheese!!!
Account deleted
The new song is better then St.Anger, Reload and Load lol, but overall it still kind of sucks. Metallica should've called it quits after the black album because all they're doing is disapointing fans when they release crap album after crap album.
03.12.2007 - 09:04
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
it least it has some decent parts to it, itll be very interesting to see what they come up with next year... hopefully not as bad as their recent efforts, aka St Anger...

adn the new song 2, do i rmeber right in thinking it sounded very punk like or maybe that was something else...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains