Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
26.03.2010 - 16:28
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Vathek on 26.03.2010 at 04:45

Bleach is sooooooo good. www.bleach7.com
It makes me laugh, and feel epic. Everything is epic. The lead character keeps getting more epic. The right blend of humour and awesome sword/magic showdown action. The characters in it are great, do watch it in Japanese though, it's so much better. When they visit the Hollow World things just get more and more awesome... 256 episodes and counting...

Hehe.. I dont share that opinion...

From the most successful animes in the last decade (One Piece, Naruto and Bleach), Bleach is the worse by far. If it wasn't for Soul Society arc, the series would be a complete waste of time.

The characters simply have no connections anymore, it's just random battles, no emotional attachments to the past, no bitterness inherited in the characters (except for Rukia), everyone is shallow to the bone. Ichigo must be one of the worst main characters ever, he is annoying, arrogant, and a pretentious nerd-like asshole. And the worst part, he's past was resolved soon in the 18th episode or so... so he has nothing more to offer us, and could have died in Soul Society saga.

The author simply created too many useless characters, there's a LOT of them, and all without a hint of charisma... it is simply too easy to hate them all just because... to finish the bad points, the manga flows sooooo slowly that the anime has to put on lots of fillers, and even when the canon arcs comes back, it follow the same super-slow formula of the manga...

all that = bored to tears = Bleach sucks

But hey Katekyo Hitman Reborn is waay worse, so that's great news
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.03.2010 - 23:35
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
About a week ago, I finished watching the box set of Haruhi Suzumiya. The show is great except for the last episode which consisted mostly of padding (I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in watching Yuki read a book silently for 5 minutes straight). Come next month, I intend to purchase the Azumanga Daioh boxset. I can tell I'm in for a fun ride based on the cheerful opening and the SATA ANDAGI.
27.03.2010 - 21:20
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Have u ever seen Air?? darn it made me cry...unbelievable!!
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
28.03.2010 - 03:03
Vathek
Written by Uirapuru on 26.03.2010 at 16:28

Written by Vathek on 26.03.2010 at 04:45

Bleach is sooooooo good. www.bleach7.com
It makes me laugh, and feel epic. Everything is epic. The lead character keeps getting more epic. The right blend of humour and awesome sword/magic showdown action. The characters in it are great, do watch it in Japanese though, it's so much better. When they visit the Hollow World things just get more and more awesome... 256 episodes and counting...

Hehe.. I dont share that opinion...

From the most successful animes in the last decade (One Piece, Naruto and Bleach), Bleach is the worse by far. If it wasn't for Soul Society arc, the series would be a complete waste of time.

The characters simply have no connections anymore, it's just random battles, no emotional attachments to the past, no bitterness inherited in the characters (except for Rukia), everyone is shallow to the bone. Ichigo must be one of the worst main characters ever, he is annoying, arrogant, and a pretentious nerd-like asshole. And the worst part, he's past was resolved soon in the 18th episode or so... so he has nothing more to offer us, and could have died in Soul Society saga.

The author simply created too many useless characters, there's a LOT of them, and all without a hint of charisma... it is simply too easy to hate them all just because... to finish the bad points, the manga flows sooooo slowly that the anime has to put on lots of fillers, and even when the canon arcs comes back, it follow the same super-slow formula of the manga...

all that = bored to tears = Bleach sucks

But hey Katekyo Hitman Reborn is waay worse, so that's great news

Ok admittedly haven't watched NAruto, but I found One Piece's characters far more annoying, couldn't really get past that fact to watch past the first episode... I do love the characters in Bleach and the particular brand of cheesiness, Nel is an awesome surprise character, and the Hueco Muendo Arc just has so many funny bits in it... I guess I find it appealing for the comic sections as well as the action and story. But I do like the story arc and the betrayals, and there are way more interesting characters than Ichigo, like Kisuke, the awesome campy story owner, and the little robot chick. I find the small arcs that build up the side characters almost as or more interesting than the main one.

That said, damn, I wish they'd made 250 episodes of Full MEtal Alchemist...

Anyway, my top favourites are

Akira
Elfen Lied - gore and crazy jap chick weirdness to the max
Full mETAL ALCHEMIST
Cowboy Bebop
Scrapped Princess (That was surprisingly epic)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (yeah, the lead character gets annoying, but the robot battles are so epid... and the angst is amusing in parts)
Grew up on MAcross...and 1st gen Transformers...
Desert Punk is hilarious
Coyote Ragtime Show was pretty cool from what I saw
Hiyao Miyozaki
----
"Nothing is Real. Everything is Permitted."
09.04.2010 - 11:40
Giza
I've watched Rebuid Of Evangelion 2.0 in a cinema few days ago. It was fantastic! More action than in 1.0 and it's just amaizing how much they squeezed in one movie. Must watch for EVA fans!
04.06.2010 - 13:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So any recommendations for decent, intelligent anime? Along the lines of Serial Experiments Lain, Ghost in the Shell etc. Also recs on any anime that's especially strange and unusual would be extremely welcome.

I also must remember to get hold of Angel's Egg too.
04.06.2010 - 13:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 16.02.2010 at 13:57

Urotsukidoji

Any opinions on these ? Haven't started any but maybe I will.

I'm a huge fan of the first 5 OVA's of Urotsukidoji. The OVA's are better than the edited version (of course) and far more explicit, kinda hard to track down, or at least it was. I'm not sure how anyone could regard the progenitor of tentacle rape in anime as average though. Especially considering it's nearly as old as I am.
04.06.2010 - 15:07
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.06.2010 at 13:28

So any recommendations for decent, intelligent anime? Along the lines of Serial Experiments Lain, Ghost in the Shell etc. Also recs on any anime that's especially strange and unusual would be extremely welcome.

A couple of good more recent ones are Durarara!!, Bakemonogatari, Eden of the East and to a bit lesser extent Katanagatari.
14.06.2010 - 04:52
Hrothdane

Paranoia Agent.

I'm certain you've seen Cowboy Bebop, but I have to mention it

I've heard good things about the show "Monster." It sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

I wish I could recommend the Berserk anime, but the manga is sooooo much better. It takes a little time at the beginning to get good, but when it does....

You might be able to find something else good on this list.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Seinen
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
22.06.2010 - 16:13
Fëanor
Last few anime's I've watched in the past year or so:

Gundam 00 (both seasons) - Contender for best fucking anime series ever made. Gundam Wing was good but 00 is phenomenal.

Darker Than Black (season one) - Had a pretty classic feel to it, good new series. Started the second series but it didn't grip me as much.

Higurashi (season one) - Suprisingly twisted and dark. The question/answer format was pretty cool. Season two is next on my list.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Leagues better than the originals.

Elfen Lied - Was ok, I was a little disappointed because it had been hyped up a little.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
05.07.2010 - 20:23
Vunts
For the past 64 weeks or so my favourite anime has been Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I watched the original anime quite some time ago and I liked it. Then I read the manga, because people were saying how the story is better and I started enjoying the original anime less. Then, by accident I stumbled on "FMA2" a day after launch and was pulled in even regardless of the filler episode, because last few scenes implied that it will take on the manga storyline (I didn't know about it before, I just randomly found some new FMA video)
Almost all characters felt more likable than the first anime, with the exception of Hughes, whom I considered a more active persona in the first one. The main story was better, battles on a larger scale, animation more advanced, music more classical and the finale made sense. Furthermore, the lack of long filler sequences makes it one of the closest manga adaptions yet.
This is also the only anime where I have both the opening and ending songs (all of them) downloaded as full songs and still listen to quite often.
17.07.2010 - 06:23
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
With the exception of a few Miyazaki films I despise anime. It's the only genre where fights will be stopped at any moment for an indeterminate amount of time to debate whether love and hope exist. It's the only genre, where a kid with a gun can be more successful than an entire army.
06.10.2010 - 01:33
joaquin

ergo proxy you need to see it!
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
06.10.2010 - 01:47
joaquin
Naruto= anime to much fillers so beter read the manga
bleach= is ok now the manga seems to be ending
dead note= really good but very over rated
ergo proxy= exelent master for me
evangelion= exelent
one pice= have two real mangas till some clown pirate, but went i try to wach the anime didn't like the Drawings
gudam00= first seasons exelent good second one not to good didn't like the ending
berserk= another master piece also the manga exelent!
gantz= another master piece
claymore= good

i really recommend ergo proxy, berserk, gantz, claymore
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
11.10.2010 - 03:28
Zuzuz0r
Written by nana.MD on 27.03.2010 at 21:20

I saw it a few months ago, and I gotta admit that I got too emotional in the last episodes (tho, not cried).

Recently, I started watching this new anime series called Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, it is relatively new, at the moment they have just have showed 2 episodes(which I watched thanks to YouTube), and the third one will be released this friday(October 15). It'w one of the most bizarre anime series I've watched, and the animation style reminded me a lot of Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network shows mixed with the japanese anime style, there's even a character who is an obvious reference to Gir from Invader Zim, throughout the series, you'll see lots of references from both american/western shows and japanese anime(as well as pop culture from both). So well, I'll put 2 videos from YouTube if anyone's interested:

----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
12.10.2010 - 05:55
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by joaquin on 06.10.2010 at 01:33

ergo proxy you need to see it!

Seconded. It is the only anime series I have ever liked, in fact I loved it so much I didn't know how to go one after I finished watching it.
12.10.2010 - 07:12
Zuzuz0r
Written by Malphas on 11.10.2010 at 21:38

Is this Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt a joke? u can't be serious...i just loled xD

Well it's a comedy anime series full of parodies and that, lol.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
17.10.2010 - 00:20
Elio
Red Nightmare
Today I completed watching Welcome to the NHK. I'm not telling the plot, as I wouldn't want to know it if interested in watching the show XD This was kinda slow I guess, and didn't really grow on me much, but at least the last 5-6 eps were very good and kinda made up for that, I'd rate this a 6.5 or sthg.

I'd recommend this to people who are bored by "typical" anime with giant robots, cowboys, guns and fights.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
20.11.2010 - 16:21
Luneth
Account deleted
Reccomendations:

For Action lovers: Fairy Tail; Claymore; Elfen Lied

For Adventure lovers: RahXephon; Erementar Gerad

For Sport lovers: Air Gear; One Outs

For Drama lovers: Blood+; Berserk; Needless

For Comedy lovers: Kampfer; DearS

For Slice of Life lovers: Lucky Star

For Psychological lovers: Umineko No Naku Koro Ni; Death Notte; One Outs; Chaos Head; GANTZ

For Ecchi lovers: Kampfer; School Days; High School Rumble; DearS

For Fantasy lovers: Avenger; Claymore

For Shounen lovers: Pokemon; Digimon; Beyblade; Dragon Drive

For Sci-Fi lovers: Heroic Age; RahXephon; Neon Genesis Evangelion; Angel Links

For Tournament lovers: Battle Athletes Victory; Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters [Duelist Kingdom]

For Mecha lovers: RahXephon; Gundam Wing

I think these are the best in their genre.
31.12.2010 - 03:03
nana.MD
Star-Queen
I haven´t found something new and nice...any suggestions?? I've seen alot and I'm like at the end of a road and still on vacations, heeeelp
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
02.01.2011 - 00:03
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by nana.MD on 31.12.2010 at 03:03

I haven´t found something new and nice...any suggestions?? I've seen alot and I'm like at the end of a road and still on vacations, heeeelp

Any particular direction you want it to go in? Something dark? Something funny? Just something 'interesting'?
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
03.01.2011 - 09:56
Uirapuru
Liver Failure

Nostromo has simply the most distinguished sense of artistic representation for his works.

For fans of sci-fi/drama animes, this video has scenes of Pale Cacoon with the music of British techno DJ Andy Hunter. I recommend downloading the HD version on AMV.org.

This video comes way back from 2006, but its still one of the best ever produced. Just watch it.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.01.2011 - 05:11
Zenzero
Zenzero
Wow it's the first time a see this topic!!!!
Well...... As many of you I like One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.... One Piece is definitely the best of the three and Bleach the worst! but my favorite anime (manga) is Slam Dunk!!
I also like Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star), Ronin Warriors, Dragon Ball and Golden Boy!
When I'll have spare time I'll start Code Geass, Beelzebub, Death Note, Drifters, Rave - The groove adventure and Scott Pilgrim!!
09.01.2011 - 13:58
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Zenzero on 09.01.2011 at 05:11

Well...... As many of you I like One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.... One Piece is definitely the best of the three and Bleach the worst! but my favorite anime (manga) is Slam Dunk!!
I also like Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star), Ronin Warriors, Dragon Ball and Golden Boy!
When I'll have spare time I'll start Code Geass, Beelzebub, Death Note, Drifters, Rave - The groove adventure and Scott Pilgrim!!

Is Beelzebub out yet??
09.01.2011 - 14:23
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by Guest on 09.01.2011 at 13:58

Is Beelzebub out yet??

I use the net to read manga and see anime... all subtitled! i think beelzebub til now is only a manga... but soon will be done an anime too!
09.01.2011 - 14:25
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Zenzero on 09.01.2011 at 14:23

Written by Guest on 09.01.2011 at 13:58

Is Beelzebub out yet??

I use the net to read manga and see anime... all subtitled! i think beelzebub til now is only a manga... but soon will be done an anime too!

Yeah, though so, I know it is definetly coming out this winter though so was wondering if it was here already lol.
18.01.2011 - 05:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure

Tell the world!

----

----
18.01.2011 - 12:07
ANGEL REAPER
Written by nana.MD on 27.03.2010 at 21:20

Then watch Elfen Lied....It made me depressed after 8th episode...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.01.2011 - 12:08
ANGEL REAPER

Cowboy Bebop....its like western in 23th century in space!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.01.2011 - 16:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.01.2011 at 12:08

Cowboy Bebop....its like western in 23th century in space!

Yeah that's still my favourite series of all time. There needs to be more stuff like that ;]