Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
21.02.2011 - 19:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't recall any particularly sexual situations (of any sort) in DragonBall? I've heard the original Japanese versions are quite explicit with language. Has been a while since I watched it though.

As for NGE, yeah I can see that. Asuka is hot though.
25.02.2011 - 20:52
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.02.2011 at 19:14

I don't recall any particularly sexual situations (of any sort) in DragonBall? I've heard the original Japanese versions are quite explicit with language. Has been a while since I watched it though.

Wait...is Asuka that annoying 'third or second child'? Or is she the protagonists' caretaker? If it's the latter then yeah, she is. If it's the former that's just sick
25.02.2011 - 20:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.02.2011 at 20:52

Wait...is Asuka that annoying 'third or second child'? Or is she the protagonists' caretaker? If it's the latter then yeah, she is. If it's the former that's just sick

Er she's the German redhead, can't remember her specific character. Has been a while. Yeah it's quite illegal in most countries but she ain't really real so it's all good ;]
26.02.2011 - 23:55
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.02.2011 at 20:54

Written by Guest on 25.02.2011 at 20:52

Er she's the German redhead, can't remember her specific character. Has been a while. Yeah it's quite illegal in most countries but she ain't really real so it's all good ;]

LOOOL, she's the third or second child. I'm not really one to rate the YOUNGER female characters, but surely Rei is better than Asuka? Lol.
27.02.2011 - 14:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.02.2011 at 23:55

LOOOL, she's the third or second child. I'm not really one to rate the YOUNGER female characters, but surely Rei is better than Asuka? Lol.

Hey I'd take either xD
27.02.2011 - 19:55
Webimpulse
Not to derail the current conversation, but I know an anime that is a MUST for metal heads: Black Lagoon. Amen, hallelujah, and peanut butter! How can you go wrong with an anime with lines like that?
27.02.2011 - 20:33
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Black Lagoon? I saw about half of it but then got bored and stopped watching.

By the way Evangelion sucks so much
(I did see the whole series though, but why I didn't just stop after two episodes is beyond me)
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
28.02.2011 - 00:07
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Bas on 27.02.2011 at 20:33

Black Lagoon? I saw about half of it but then got bored and stopped watching.

By the way Evangelion sucks so much
(I did see the whole series though, but why I didn't just stop after two episodes is beyond me)

Black Lagoon sucks. Eva also sucks in all honesty. I just didn't have the patience for it. The anime to watch if want some epic science fiction is 'Heroic Age'.
05.04.2011 - 15:32
Zenzero
Zenzero
I recently end Code Geass! I liked it a lot! Next will be Death Note!
My favourites are ONE PIECE and SLAM DUNK! If I have to say something sentimental I strongly say Toradora! I loved it!!!!
16.04.2011 - 17:02
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Maybe you guys are not into it but does anybody now what happened with nana??? the mangaka got ill and dropped the manga a while ago ¬¬
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
17.04.2011 - 00:04
whatsacow
Been watching gilgamesh. It has some of the worst animation ever. The fram has to be 1 frame a fucking year, and every ssingle character looks like a heroine junkie.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
17.04.2011 - 11:30
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Lol I tried Gilgamesh, just watched the first episode, that was more than enough for me
----
17.04.2011 - 16:29
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Gilgamesh wasn't too bad in terms of story and atmosphere, so imo it's worth watching it
17.04.2011 - 22:49
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
I believe you on the story, before watching it I read what it's about and it sounded good to me, but how the characters looked really really bothered me
Some minor other things about the animation too. So I just watched something else
----
18.04.2011 - 12:33
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Well, you can still watch it if you want
18.04.2011 - 12:40
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Of course, but why should I spend my extremely valuable time for it if I can just as well watch something else with a good story that's more appealing to me after the first episode?
----
18.04.2011 - 12:46
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Touché
04.05.2011 - 20:10
Bulletdodger
Not really into anime, the fights are usually cool, mildly amusing characters, but to much generic bullshit in the meantime.
Death Note and Cowboy Bebop are so far my favourites.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
04.05.2011 - 21:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I used to like it more before, now I don't seem to be interested in it anymore, unless something worth it is brought up to my attention.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.05.2011 - 23:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 04.05.2011 at 21:45

I used to like it more before, now I don't seem to be interested in it anymore, unless something worth it is brought up to my attention.

Same here as well, I used to be quite a fan but nowdays I don't really give a damn. I still hold a few favorites very dearly but that's about it.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.05.2011 - 23:40
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 18.02.2011 at 11:56

Swedish government is apparently cracking down on a lot of anime and manga at the moment. The reason is the objectifying of supposed minors in sexual situations. Dragonball has become a target for instance. Apparently a lot of the stuff (such as Evangelion) is going to become illegal soon.

No loss for me, but sucks for the fans.

Apparently, one of the arguments they're using is that fictional child abuse is still child abuse, which was also one of the arguments the American courts used in the Christopher Handley case. By that logic, if I were to draw a picture of a fictional murder, then that means I committed an actual murder, therefore I need to be sent to jail. In my opinion, this whole crusade of "protecting the children" has gotten way out of hand. In their delusions of righteousness, numerous governments are arresting innocent manga collectors who wouldn't even harm a fly, let alone a child.
06.05.2011 - 16:39
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Guest on 04.05.2011 at 23:40

Swedish government is apparently cracking down on a lot of anime and manga at the moment. The reason is the objectifying of supposed minors in sexual situations. Dragonball has become a target for instance. Apparently a lot of the stuff (such as Evangelion) is going to become illegal soon.

Apparently, one of the arguments they're using is that fictional child abuse is still child abuse, which was also one of the arguments the American courts used in the Christopher Handley case. By that logic, if I were to draw a picture of a fictional murder, then that means I committed an actual murder, therefore I need to be sent to jail. In my opinion, this whole crusade of "protecting the children" has gotten way out of hand. In their delusions of righteousness, numerous governments are arresting innocent manga collectors who wouldn't even harm a fly, let alone a child.

I can understand the bans on hentai featuring minors, but when it comes to the situation where they want to outlaw Dragon Ball, it becomes a tad ridiculous.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
06.05.2011 - 18:44
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 06.05.2011 at 16:39

Written by Guest on 04.05.2011 at 23:40

I can understand the bans on hentai featuring minors, but when it comes to the situation where they want to outlaw Dragon Ball, it becomes a tad ridiculous.

Politicians always need to find some kind of moral crusade. That way, they can distract the voters from any of the real issues, and if they're in a state of irrational fear, they become easier to control.

Also, one of the biggest reasons so many westerners freak out over anime is simply because of the fact that people hate what they don't understand. The art style, the stories, and the tropes are all strange and foreign to them, and since they're different, they proceed to hate it. Case in point, Strike Witches, a series that involves little girls wearing jet plane engines on their legs which they use to fly around and fight alien invaders. The show is strange even by Japanese standards, but the one aspect the show has that is relevant to this discussion is that it has a plethora of panty shots. Again, there is a cultural difference when it comes to how the show is perceived. The average Japanese person sees it as cute and wholesome, even going so far as to declare it wholesome family entertainment. The average American sees it as a wretched and evil creation of Satan that objectifies little girls and turns little girls into sluts and <insert any number of absurd accusations here>.

Sorry I went off on an unrelated tangent there, but this cultural difference also explains why so many Swedes consider anime series as commonplace as Dragon Ball as "pedophile training material", so to speak.
06.05.2011 - 19:08
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Ok maybe I'm missing something here, it's been a while since I've seen it. But what part of dragon ball could anyone consider pedophile? (Although I do remember there being a weird scene in one of the first 2-3 episodes with goku and bulma where goku freaks out because she doesn't have a wiener, maybe that?)

I can imagine someone complaining because it's violent and therefore not suited for children, not that I support that, but at least I can understand it. But I can't really imagine how anyone could consider it pedophile. Even if there's an awkward moment or two (the pig wishing for a panty and such nonsense) but as I recall it there's nothing sexual in the show whatsoever?

EDIT: Just googled it and found this link http://greenwoodfilmsociety.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=animedisc&action=display&thread=363
Sounds like a huge overreaction, but then again, that's what US moms are famous for.
----
07.05.2011 - 00:40
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Bas on 06.05.2011 at 19:08

Ok maybe I'm missing something here, it's been a while since I've seen it. But what part of dragon ball could anyone consider pedophile? (Although I do remember there being a weird scene in one of the first 2-3 episodes with goku and bulma where goku freaks out because she doesn't have a wiener, maybe that?)

I can imagine someone complaining because it's violent and therefore not suited for children, not that I support that, but at least I can understand it. But I can't really imagine how anyone could consider it pedophile. Even if there's an awkward moment or two (the pig wishing for a panty and such nonsense) but as I recall it there's nothing sexual in the show whatsoever?

EDIT: Just googled it and found this link http://greenwoodfilmsociety.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=animedisc&action=display&thread=363
Sounds like a huge overreaction, but then again, that's what US moms are famous for.

Well, Dragonball was the one example that was on the news where they said they banned it from the schools here.

There was also talk of direct criminalization of possession of both physical and digital copies. Don't know how that turned out later though (I imagine it's still being debated).

Swedish politics have been filled with criminalizations of harmless stuff recently. The most recent discussion (debated on the radio today) was biker vests, which might become illegal to wear in public in the future if some municipal politicians get to have their way.

This is not the US by the way, but Sweden.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
07.05.2011 - 19:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 07.05.2011 at 00:40

This is not the US by the way, but Sweden.

I'm speechless dude... I didn't know anything of that shit
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.05.2011 - 06:42
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I used to be really into anime 9 years ago or so but I kind of fell out of watching it much until recently. Some of my all time favorites are the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 08th MS Team, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop and Robotech.
08.05.2011 - 08:08
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.05.2011 at 06:42

I used to be really into anime 9 years ago or so but I kind of fell out of watching it much until recently. Some of my all time favorites are the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 08th MS Team, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop and Robotech.

I absolutely adored the Gundam series back when I was a kid. I still have all the Gundam figurines I collected back then displayed proudly on my shelf.
12.05.2011 - 03:10
Llort
Only ever got into Death Note and the little that I've seen of Ghost in the Shell as far as anime goes. Any reccommendations?
20.05.2011 - 07:03
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Llort on 12.05.2011 at 03:10

Only ever got into Death Note and the little that I've seen of Ghost in the Shell as far as anime goes. Any reccommendations?

If you enjoy cute little girls getting murdered in the most brutal and bloody ways imaginable, check out Higurashi. However, that maybe way too much for a newcomer, so I recommend Gundam, preferably Gundam 0083.