Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
25.10.2006 - 20:07
ylside
Staff
I almost cried while watching Grave of The Fireflies...
26.10.2006 - 00:14
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I currently have no internet in my room because of Anime...why? Bandwidth issues...my dumbass anime freak of an apartment mate downloaded a 5 GIG anime series when we already downloaded a bunch of shit...

I did enjoy Kingdom Hearts and Get Backers...
28.10.2006 - 17:59
ylside
Staff
Just finished Gungrave yesterday. One hell of an anime... The soundtrack is really brilliant also.
28.10.2006 - 19:48
Basso
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 28.10.2006 at 17:59

Just finished Gungrave yesterday. One hell of an anime... The soundtrack is really brilliant also.

Im really glad you liked it. The relationship between Brandon and Harry is so intressting. Damn I love Gungrave <3
28.10.2006 - 20:42
ylside
Staff
Yeah, reminds me of the Guts - Griffith relation in Berserk, but...will it end the same way as Gungrave ?
Oh man I say it again, Gungrave's soundtrack is awesome, if you like your OSTs jazzy that is !

"BLANDON" on the wall made me laugh...
29.10.2006 - 14:19
Basso
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 28.10.2006 at 20:42

Yeah, reminds me of the Guts - Griffith relation in Berserk, but...will it end the same way as Gungrave ?
Oh man I say it again, Gungrave's soundtrack is awesome, if you like your OSTs jazzy that is !

"BLANDON" on the wall made me laugh...

Naah I hope that Gats rips that fuckin Griffith apart. I despise Griffith despite being a very cool character he is just to cool to be cool, if you get me.
And indeed Gungrave has great soundtrack.

The best of all with Gungrave is without doubt the characther gallery though. So many great charachters!
30.10.2006 - 18:33
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I still think Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is the best anime movie I've seen.

Has anybody seen "The Place Promised in Our Early Days / Beyond The Clouds" by the way? I've heard that this anime movie is absolutely stunning and beautiful.
31.10.2006 - 04:46
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Started re-watching the bersek anime (cause i got nothing else to watch). The show is good (i think the colour is a bit off but thats just me), but when you compare it to the manga, it doesn't hold a candle at all. Chances are they might do another anime on Berserk due to the fact that the first anime was only about the golden age and Griffith's becoming the fith member of the godhand.

I do get the Darkhorse mangas but i also read the online manga for the anticipation of how Guts tries to take down the Godhand and get revenge on griffith.
01.11.2006 - 09:28
Eight
Shapeshifter
Gunslinger Girl, anyone heard of it? Like school of lil killer girls, sad sometimes, but very great.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
04.11.2006 - 15:25
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2134] on 31.10.2006 at 04:46

Started re-watching the bersek anime (cause i got nothing else to watch). The show is good (i think the colour is a bit off but thats just me), but when you compare it to the manga, it doesn't hold a candle at all. Chances are they might do another anime on Berserk due to the fact that the first anime was only about the golden age and Griffith's becoming the fith member of the godhand.

I do get the Darkhorse mangas but i also read the online manga for the anticipation of how Guts tries to take down the Godhand and get revenge on griffith.

The berserk anime is amazing in my opinion, but as you said the Manga is far superior. The soundtrack and the setting created in the anime is in my opinion brilliant
07.11.2006 - 04:14
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I agree with you on that one. They may have to make a new series from scratch i think because they left out the coolest (and quite significant in the storyline i believe) character in the anime. That is if they make another Berserk anime
07.11.2006 - 09:55
Baz Anderson
Staff
i finally got my hands on my full Tenchi set that i ordered!
i now have full series' of Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi In Tokyo and three Tenchi movies - all from one big box
im happy!
12.11.2006 - 16:11
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 07.11.2006 at 09:55

i finally got my hands on my full Tenchi set that i ordered!
i now have full series' of Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi In Tokyo and three Tenchi movies - all from one big box
im happy!

I gave Tenchi a shot, I watched Tenchi Muyo and half tenchi in tokyo. But then I gave up, I get rather pissed at people that doesnt choose.

I prefer Ichigo 100% and Love Hina mangas over that anyday. But I must add that both thoose pissed me off bigtime to, lazy ass guys that cant choose are silly ^^.
13.11.2006 - 05:54
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I don't really have a problem with that sort of situation where the guy can't choose a girl. But i want to see an anime/manga where the guy picks multiple girls (i would).
What annoys me about those ones however is that it's obvious who the guy picks anyway, examples being love hina/ranma 1/2/onegai teacher blahdy blah.
13.11.2006 - 10:59
Baz Anderson
Staff
hahaha, well in real life i would want to just pick the one and have done with it - but thats how the whole Tenchi show works. its like that to amuse us with the conflicts between Ryoko and Ayeka for example

i just watched the first Tenchi film - 'Tenchi In Love' and it was ok i guess
i have no idea why it is called 'Tenchi In Love' because Tenchi doesn't fall in love (or if he does, its with his mother)
13.11.2006 - 17:09
Basso
Account deleted
@ Woven Elegy : Yes indeed it is actually very obvious who he chooses. The only exception that wasent too obvious was Ichigo 100% But the main char in that manga drove me crazy because of his disability to choose, still I am attracted to this kind of cheesy anime / manga anyway. Im rather wierd I suppose.

@ Baz : lol in his mother, *pre-teen giggle*
20.11.2006 - 19:08
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
I was planning on getting some new animeseries, so hmm, I wonder what you guys have to say about them, and to get some talking going on about them maybe

Here are the ones in my mind at the moment:
- Ergo Proxy
- BLOOD+ (already seen a couple of episodes of it and the movie, seems promising, its a large serie though)
- Black Lagoon
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Eureka 7
- xxxHOLIC

And btw, I can really reccommend to start on Death Note, it's getting positive feedback from everywhere, I can reccommend it.
21.11.2006 - 01:38
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Eddie on 20.11.2006 at 19:08

- Eureka 7

I have heard some very good stories about this anime..
I can lend it from a friend, so I will watch it..somewhere in the future Anyway, I have already heard the soundtrack, and the soundtrack is really amazing. Very symphonic, and well, they paid a lot of attention to that part of the anime.

For now I am still too much into Jigoku Shoujo. Just watched episode seven, it was great again This anime is really becoming one of my favourites if they can keep it up like this. Very dark and sad, and quite addictive. I like it
21.11.2006 - 17:10
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by AntaeusM on 21.11.2006 at 01:38

Written by Eddie on 20.11.2006 at 19:08

- Eureka 7

I have heard some very good stories about this anime..
I can lend it from a friend, so I will watch it..somewhere in the future Anyway, I have already heard the soundtrack, and the soundtrack is really amazing. Very symphonic, and well, they paid a lot of attention to that part of the anime.

For now I am still too much into Jigoku Shoujo. Just watched episode seven, it was great again This anime is really becoming one of my favourites if they can keep it up like this. Very dark and sad, and quite addictive. I like it

Ahh, hmm, I will have to check it out then Somewhere in the future eh? like ylside? haha

I looked into Jigoku Shoujo, but only found some of it on youtube, and well, I don't like to watch anime on youtube xD I didn't found any place where I can download the episodes :/ but I won't stop keeping the name in the back of my head, for when I come across it.

I watched the first episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and it was really good, something different. At first I thought 'what on earth is this?!', and then after a while, a bit deeper in the episode, it grew on me immensely So I'm definetly going to get all the episodes of this series. It's comedy, so if you are in for that, give it a try
21.12.2006 - 05:14
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
The best anime ever made was/is Rurouni Kenshin (or Samurai X.) The story is just perfect, and theres lots of action too =)
----
30.12.2006 - 11:13
Eight
Shapeshifter
Ive seen Eureka 7, but only 13 episodes, and now downloadig 13 more, awsome anime can't wait to see it all ^^
----

08.01.2007 - 13:36
Eight
Shapeshifter
Anyone know about some animes that involves warewolves? Would be neet
Thanks
----

08.01.2007 - 18:34
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Eddie on 21.11.2006 at 17:10

Ahh, hmm, I will have to check it out then Somewhere in the future eh? like ylside? haha

I looked into Jigoku Shoujo, but only found some of it on youtube, and well, I don't like to watch anime on youtube xD I didn't found any place where I can download the episodes :/ but I won't stop keeping the name in the back of my head, for when I come across it.

Yes, well, I have watched an episode of Eureka 7 a week ago It wasn't bad, but very Neon Genesis Evangelionish. The storyline is different, but the entire mecha theme was almost strictly copied from Neon Genesis Evangelion(like so many anime do). It looked like a fine anime, and I simply love the music of this anime It might take a while before I am going to watch another episode though.

It's difficult to find the episodes, I got all the episodes from a friend(because I couldn't find them either). Just keep an eye on it, it's an amazing anime Especially now I have seen the entire first season I am sure of those words, it is a great anime.
09.01.2007 - 22:54
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by AntaeusM on 08.01.2007 at 18:34

Yes, well, I have watched an episode of Eureka 7 a week ago It wasn't bad, but very Neon Genesis Evangelionish. The storyline is different, but the entire mecha theme was almost strictly copied from Neon Genesis Evangelion(like so many anime do). It looked like a fine anime, and I simply love the music of this anime It might take a while before I am going to watch another episode though.

It's difficult to find the episodes, I got all the episodes from a friend(because I couldn't find them either). Just keep an eye on it, it's an amazing anime Especially now I have seen the entire first season I am sure of those words, it is a great anime.

Actually, my brother bought the first DVD of the series a couple of days ago I havent seen it yet, didn't get the time for it yet, but I definately will It looked really good though, I did watch a bit of the intro.
10.01.2007 - 11:45
Basso
Account deleted
One of my friends have all Eureka 7 episodes. So I will probable get them from him when Im done watching Blood+.

Looking forward to see it since it has only been good talk about it.
10.01.2007 - 13:58
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
How is Blood+ Basso? I watched the first 5 or so episodes but I never got my hands on any more episodes, is it good?
10.01.2007 - 17:56
ylside
Staff
Written by Eight on 08.01.2007 at 13:36

Anyone know about some animes that involves warewolves? Would be neet
Thanks

Not exactly were-wolves but more like shapeshifters at will, maybe you'll like Wolf's Rain.
10.01.2007 - 21:13
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Eddie on 10.01.2007 at 13:58

How is Blood+ Basso? I watched the first 5 or so episodes but I never got my hands on any more episodes, is it good?

I really like it. It grows steadily into a great plot and there are some really great twists. I am at the moment on episode 42 of 50 and its starting to close up pretty well. I am very much so looking forward to the end of it. A great anime worth watching indeed.

EDIT: I did just saw Blood+ to the end and I must say it was one of the few animes that actually has a great ending. Finally a series very very worth watching with a rewarding ending! A must see!

@ ylside : I really disliked Wolf's Rain, other than the rather catchy intro, and the great characters the whole series was really overlong , streched out and horribly boring. Way overrated and nothing I would recommend. Personal opinion ofcourse
11.01.2007 - 20:05
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by [user id=5394] on 10.01.2007 at 21:13

Written by Eddie on 10.01.2007 at 13:58

I really like it. It grows steadily into a great plot and there are some really great twists. I am at the moment on episode 42 of 50 and its starting to close up pretty well. I am very much so looking forward to the end of it. A great anime worth watching indeed.

EDIT: I did just saw Blood+ to the end and I must say it was one of the few animes that actually has a great ending. Finally a series very very worth watching with a rewarding ending! A must see!

@ ylside : I really disliked Wolf's Rain, other than the rather catchy intro, and the great characters the whole series was really overlong , streched out and horribly boring. Way overrated and nothing I would recommend. Personal opinion ofcourse

Alright, then I will definately have to move my ass into gear to get it after those damn exams are over

I still have Wolf's Rain to watch, but as you describe it, it doesn't sound very interesting, though its seen as pretty good overall. But I will see for myself one day when I get to it
12.01.2007 - 09:43
Eight
Shapeshifter
Too bad ther is no werewolves in anime, im soo obsesed with them
And i have seen couple of episodes of Wolf's Rain, not that bad i think.
----