Metal Storm logo
What is the meaning of life?

Original post

Posted by Berfones, 24.04.2008 - 15:10
I have been looking the MS forum for this thread and I was amazed to find that the only matches to my search were Monty Pyton movie and some other thing that bearly mantion it, so I decided to open my own thread (hopfully this one will not be locked after one day) and to ask you what is the meaning of life for you, I know that this is a very abstract question, so everyone will have a different answer to it, and some will have several answers.
My meanings of life are music and my book, I think of them as my meanings of life because that if one of them will sieze to be I will probably kill myself.
This thread can also be a place for philosophical questions such as what came first, the chicken or the egg? (I have the answer to it if you want...), and one more thing, can someone tell me why do the mods hate Varg Vikernes threads so much?
14.05.2012 - 23:51
BreadGod
Account deleted
There is no objective meaning of life. You are the master of your own destiny.

Written by Clintagräm on 27.04.2012 at 00:08

That too.
15.05.2012 - 19:16
Dàibh
"What is the meaning of life?"

To live and die without regret.
20.05.2012 - 06:53
DJ Mythos
Written by Bulletdodger on 13.05.2012 at 17:58

Written by DJ Mythos on 09.03.2012 at 20:47

There can be no answers. We are born, we die, we putrefy, we sustain life. That is our only legacy. To me, the question 'why are we here?' is absurd. Who says life has to have some deeper meaning? To comprehend the age of our earth, and, more to the point, the age and size of our known universe, is to comprehend our insignificance. We were lucky enough to have evolved during an improbable temperate period in our earth's climate. To some, that's evidence of design. To me, it's proof that our existence is relagated to mere chance. You can search for meaning, a quest that necessarily ends in disappointment, in the realization that you are, in fact, NOT smarter than the countless philosophers who have wasted their gifts on this meandering topic, or you can live life in the present, to its fullest. Ideals and philosophies are important to societies, but I think it's necessary to recognize that societies themselves are not important at all, that we're all food for worms ('The worm is our only emperor for diet').

Our existence is not mere chance, maybe a bit, but it still is a pinnacle of some kind, and a tiny attempt for the universe to understand itself.

Such a weak-minded position you have there champ, from personal experience the search for meaning led me to happiness, and who are you to say that they have wasted their lives in pondering and speculating, have you spoken to any of those countless philosophers and thinkers, have you concluded that they are all unhappy and full of regret ? What if buy speculating on these topics they lived their life fully and happily and helped other people do the same.

It is better to speculate in vain, than to reject the challenges that the awareness of our existence has imposed unto us, because our intellectual capacities can never grow by rejecting problems of our existence.

What is this 'problem of existence'? Are you saying just because we don't know why we're here, it's a problem? If that's a problem, you've made it for yourself. I have no such problem. I look at this universe and see no reason to expect answers. Weighing imponderables doesn't mean you're enlightened.

Rabbits eat food they can't digest, then shit pellets, then eat the pellets. There's no design.

I do think people need a reason to live, but I reject the notion that there is implicit meaning in anything.
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
20.05.2012 - 13:04
Bulletdodger
Written by DJ Mythos on 20.05.2012 at 06:53

Written by Bulletdodger on 13.05.2012 at 17:58

Our existence is not mere chance, maybe a bit, but it still is a pinnacle of some kind, and a tiny attempt for the universe to understand itself.

Such a weak-minded position you have there champ, from personal experience the search for meaning led me to happiness, and who are you to say that they have wasted their lives in pondering and speculating, have you spoken to any of those countless philosophers and thinkers, have you concluded that they are all unhappy and full of regret ? What if buy speculating on these topics they lived their life fully and happily and helped other people do the same.

It is better to speculate in vain, than to reject the challenges that the awareness of our existence has imposed unto us, because our intellectual capacities can never grow by rejecting problems of our existence.

What is this 'problem of existence'? Are you saying just because we don't know why we're here, it's a problem? If that's a problem, you've made it for yourself. I have no such problem. I look at this universe and see no reason to expect answers. Weighing imponderables doesn't mean you're enlightened.

Rabbits eat food they can't digest, then shit pellets, then eat the pellets. There's no design.

I do think people need a reason to live, but I reject the notion that there is implicit meaning in anything.

I never said "problem", but challenges, metaphysical, ethical, epistemological, throughout history many advancements came not from direct need, but from pondering and speculating .
I agree we don't have to expect answers from the universe, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't expect answers from ourselves, our universe is dynamic, so we need dynamic even in our thoughts.
That's cool. the only thing that caught my attention on your original post was the claim that searching is "a quest that necessarily ends in disappointment".
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
03.06.2012 - 09:27
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
You better check out the movie "naked". The human existence is explained to be one big f**king experiment.

It gives a new way of looking into god and life.

For me purpose of our existence changes with my moods

If i am happy : purpose is to find your passion in life and live happily ever after.
If i am sad/angry : the purpose of life is pain and suffering. This life is meant to be painful.
10.06.2012 - 13:30
Zombie94
Written by Bulletdodger on 20.05.2012 at 13:04

I never said "problem", but challenges, metaphysical, ethical, epistemological, throughout history many advancements came not from direct need, but from pondering and speculating .
I agree we don't have to expect answers from the universe, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't expect answers from ourselves, our universe is dynamic, so we need dynamic even in our thoughts.
That's cool. the only thing that caught my attention on your original post was the claim that searching is "a quest that necessarily ends in disappointment".

While it might be comforting to come to your own conclusions, the truth is that nobody has the answer. Anyone who tells you they know what the meaning of life (and I don't think of that as pondering the goal, but more the excuse for our existence) is flat out lying. The only philosopher who could ever be deemed truly successful in coming to a conclusion on the world is Socrates, and that is because he said that all he could be certain he knew was that he knew nothing. And that is wiser than pretending to know the answer to something like the meaning of life, or if there is/isn't a creator etc. Because the simple fact is that nobody knows. And it will be at least thousands, if not millions of years before our race could explore the entire universe and even begin to assess how it came into being. However I believe the sun is due to die by then so it is likely we'll become extinct and never know. Therefore the answers will not come in our lifetime and, while it is admirable of scientists and philosophers to attempt to work out the answer, there is a good chance we will never know. So the purpose of my life is to find fulfillment and happiness.
14.03.2014 - 23:43
MDM87
Meaning of life? i would say there is no , i dont believe in god or in anything i would say its just an invention from humans
15.03.2014 - 06:20
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
I've read several NDE(Near Death Experience) books, where a person is certified dead for up to 8 minutes or so and they have spiritual experiences: life panorama("life flashed before my eyes"), being a literal ghost trapped on earth, ascending to another dimension, interaction with dead loved ones, interaction with beings of light etc. Many people argue the validity of the experiences and say they are hallucinations but the fact is your brain activity ceases upon death and after two minutes of heart failure there is literally no detectable brain activity whatsoever. Without brain activity dreams and hallucinations are scientifically impossible so there is really no physical explanation for the experiences(Yes, DMT is often cited as the culprit of these experiences but without a brain to react to the DMT the drug is useless). It's really interesting stuff and I would recommend anyone interested to read "Consciousness Beyond Life" by Pimmell Von Lommel M.D.(a cardiac Dr), it's written like a science journal report so it's bit thick and extremely thorough but still digestible and captivating all the way through. I prefer to use evidence as a means to find spirituality and this book is #1 in that regards.

Anyway a lot of people state that through their experiences, whether it was a life reflection or talking with another spirit, they found the meaning of life to be: to love and to learn. Seems to make sense to me.

Another meaning of life I adhere to is found in the good ole US Declaration of Independence: "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". Though its a little more superficial than the former statement, it's pretty solid I think.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
29.06.2014 - 05:45
Jtbmetal123
I dont think there is a meaning. Were just kinda here.
30.07.2014 - 18:03
Angry Soul
Find your passion, create your principles and stick to it. Never compromise yourself to the gormless herd.
----
"The valor that struggles is better than the weakness that endures." - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

"Art is the Tree of Life. Science is the Tree of Death." - William Blake
02.07.2015 - 16:24
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Two ways to look at this:

1) the meaning of life relating to what you should do here
2) the meaning of humans actually existing

For 1) a lot of people have their own views, like making your mark, doing great deeds and all that stuff. For 2) people usually bring up religion. I don't think there is any meaning at all. I don't believe we were created and that means we don't have "purpose". We are just another species on this planet. May sound bleak to some, but I find it more comforting that I'm not being watched and judged by a sky tyrant
02.07.2015 - 18:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
To me nothing cant find it many years, its better unborn how die ... I cant find reason of this existence. Unless healty cancer what so ever free immortality whit out wars place where tou want like free food, drinks, and I net never stops, it wont have a meaning
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.07.2015 - 23:15
Ilham
Giant robot
Probably chocolate.
03.07.2015 - 00:36
Rasputin
In words of great Iron Angel-To be normative
03.07.2015 - 00:52
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Aren't we feeling bully today
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.07.2015 - 01:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Belegûr on 02.07.2015 at 16:24

For 1) a lot of people have their own views, like making your mark, doing great deeds and all that stuff. For 2) people usually bring up religion. I don't think there is any meaning at all. I don't believe we were created and that means we don't have "purpose". We are just another species on this planet. May sound bleak to some, but I find it more comforting that I'm not being watched and judged by a sky tyrant

Being Rab C. Nesbitt
----

apos;'
[image]
05.07.2015 - 01:22
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Bad English on 05.07.2015 at 01:22

Written by Belegûr on 02.07.2015 at 16:24

Being Rab C. Nesbitt

What a life that would be!
05.07.2015 - 01:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Belegûr on 05.07.2015 at 01:22

C. Nesbitt

What a life that would be!

probably not wary good one
----

apos;'
[image]
10.07.2015 - 05:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
The day you get the meaning of life is the last day you living on this planet.

Let your life be a open fucking book.
13.07.2015 - 04:47
Sentinel65
The meaning of life is to survive until you are of a mature enough age to reproduce, giving our species a greater chance of survival.
13.07.2015 - 05:05
Sentinel65
Written by deadone on 13.07.2015 at 04:52

That doesn't explain "what is the meaning of life." It explains a mechanism for maintaining life but doesn't answer why it exists in the first place.

Fair point, although I was trying to be a bit funny more than anything.

I don't think humans exist for any specific purpose, we're just like any other form of life on this planet, we just are. The meaning of life is up to each individual, in my opinion it is simply to live happily. It is to be old and look back on your life with no major regrets.
30.08.2015 - 00:32
Zap
Some things just don't have any meaning behind them. Life is one of them.
03.09.2015 - 19:32
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
I'll try a different perspective. The question is somewhat useless in that it answers itself. When you ask "what is the meaning of life?" you automatically assume that there has to be a meaning to life for life to be, well, meaningful. Therefore, meaning itself would be the meaning of life and the question becomes redundant. Also, assuming there is a meaning, who decides the meaning if not you yourself? Some would say God, which I suppose is an acceptable answer (though I don't believe in it myself).

I prefer not to ask the question. Just like life itself, it's usually not worth the headache.

Oh, and I had a near death experience once (saw it mentioned above), talking to a paranormal being and all that stuff. I was told that balance, love and understanding is the key to happiness (but not necessarily the meaning of life). But then again, near death experiences are probably just a way for the brain to handle extreme duress.
20.05.2018 - 09:31
Drippy.Hippie
Written by Guest on 14.05.2012 at 23:51

There is no objective meaning of life. You are the master of your own destiny.

Written by Clintagräm on 27.04.2012 at 00:08

That too.

I concur!

But, I would have started off by saying that, The meaning of life is to overcome the plague of nihilism (but it's up to the individual how they go about doing this), I guess you could say.
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
21.05.2018 - 05:58
VIG
Account deleted
Does life really have a meaning? I don't think it does, and I don't think it has to.

"Life sucks, and then you die."
26.05.2018 - 22:10
Polaria
Written by Guest on 21.05.2018 at 05:58

Does life really have a meaning? I don't think it does, and I don't think it has to.

"Life sucks, and then you die."

You decide that life sucks or not, then you die.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
03.06.2018 - 20:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
There is no meaning. just find ways to enjoy your time on the ride.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.06.2018 - 20:08
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Polaria on 26.05.2018 at 22:10

Unless you're talking about VIG specifically or about those of us born in relatively rich democratic Western countries where we have a decent shot at an enjoyable life, I feel I must challenge You on this. I don't see how someone born in North Korea can simply decide that life doesn't suck (for them). We're all pretty lucky here, but millions - possibly billions - of people are forced to lead very difficult lives that are often barely worth stumbling through to their natural end. Even a child in the UK or Canada or Finland or Estonia or wherever can be born with severe disabilities for example and there's nothing to decide there, their life sucks and that's it. I hope I don't come across as cynical when I say all this, my purpose is actually the opposite of cynicism. The more that we, who've had some luck with regard to when and where we were born, acknowledge that for others life can objectively suck, the more motivated we might become to make things better for them and for ourselves.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
12.06.2018 - 21:05
Polaria
Written by Metren on 12.06.2018 at 20:08

Unless you're talking about VIG specifically or about those of us born in relatively rich democratic Western countries where we have a decent shot at an enjoyable life, I feel I must challenge You on this. I don't see how someone born in North Korea can simply decide that life doesn't suck (for them). We're all pretty lucky here, but millions - possibly billions - of people are forced to lead very difficult lives that are often barely worth stumbling through to their natural end. Even a child in the UK or Canada or Finland or Estonia or wherever can be born with severe disabilities for example and there's nothing to decide there, their life sucks and that's it. I hope I don't come across as cynical when I say all this, my purpose is actually the opposite of cynicism. The more that we, who've had some luck with regard to when and where we were born, acknowledge that for others life can objectively suck, the more motivated we might become to make things better for them and for ourselves.

I was answering specifically to VIG indeed. I did not presume that this applies to mankind as a whole.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
13.06.2018 - 18:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Metren on 12.06.2018 at 20:08

I emigrated from your neighbor country (no not that big one) from EU one to old west country and well in begging all worked, until refugues came
Life is not so good in rich democratic countries as it was in 70's and up to 90's. you need work and hardly can survive. I spend for food ca 4000-4500 kroner per month, 1000 goes even more for craft beer. Swedish chileno spends 1500 per months for foor, he told. ehhh
Since refugees are priority that can get easy apartments, mine costs in centrum 6000 . I cant save anything man , basically I have old skippies, socks and old t shirts and jeans, that's how I save money. I live as primitive dirty old man. My electry bills and such things is how I save money.
I cant go to concerts specially travel to capital or basically, once per year I ride to mountains for midnight sun. House is a dream for working swedes.
In this elections I will vote for right orientated parties, not extreme but liberal right.

Today I have meaning at all, old things don't make fun anymore, metal and beer sometimes. Not sex, city, people, nature, walkings, movies, MS, MA; FB, nothing dont make sense to me. I wish I never was born and also I never will create any form of life .. I mean children. I hope I will die at age 50 from someone guns me down
----

apos;'
[image]