Metal Storm logo
Exodus

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 17.05.2006 - 05:55
Have to have an official thread for these guys.I believe I speak on behalf of most metalheads when I say you must have Bonded By Blood in your collection.Paul Baloff(R.I.P) has such great screeching vocals it sucks he was only on one album.Who is your fav. vocalist form Exodus?Was Paul,Steve or the new guy Rob.
19.05.2009 - 20:46
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.05.2009 at 20:23

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:11

even if they get 2 euros or 3 or 4 or 5 why should we (all the people who want to have an album in our collection) give the other 10, 11, 12 etc in the record companies.. this is why i tell you that. they are decievers......

So you're suggesting that ALL the money should go to a band? Pleas wake up and enter the real world.

Record companies do spend money on bands, paying their recording costs, promotional costs, the distributional costs of the cd etc. etc.

oufcourse not. but 2 weeks ago i bought monotheist from celtic frost for 7,5 euros. when it was released it costed 18 euros. these 10,5 extra went ONLY to the record companies and that's my main problem... these 10 euros. also and from the 7,5 they get some and some other go to bands. that's better... if you buy let there be blood in 2 years it will be 5-10 euros cheaper and i am almost sure that the band will get the same money...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
19.05.2009 - 21:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

even if they get 2 euros or 3 or 4 or 5 why should we (all the people who want to have an album in our collection) give the other 10, 11, 12 etc in the record companies.. this is why i tell you that. they are decievers......

i am no expert on the process, let alone the situation specific to Exodus, but the labels provide the bands with the funding needed to get recording space/time as well as provide tour support. they also help in the distribution process.

buying albums helps the band be retained by a label (you think they're going to invest money in a band that doesn't move units?) - which in turn helps keep them touring and recording.

never mind the direct cut the artists get.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.05.2009 - 21:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:46

oufcourse not. but 2 weeks ago i bought monotheist from celtic frost for 7,5 euros. when it was released it costed 18 euros. these 10,5 extra went ONLY to the record companies and that's my main problem... these 10 euros. also and from the 7,5 they get some and some other go to bands. that's better... if you buy let there be blood in 2 years it will be 5-10 euros cheaper and i am almost sure that the band will get the same money...

You're reasoning is wrong here. Cause the difference between the new price and what you paid now WENT to the record store and NOT the record company. A record store pays the record company and then decides what price they charge (based on rent, profit margins, personel costs etc.) If I buy Let There Be Blood in 2 years time both the record company and band would still have had the same money but because you didn't buy it at first the record store is FORCED to sell it at a lower price in order to make room for newer more profitable releases. But if everybody waits a couple of years before buying the product the record store will go broke and will have to close down forcing the consumer to buy on the net. Buying on the Net of course has the advantage that it is cheaper since there is no physical store invloved. But the disadvantage is the lack of contact with people working in a store other people going to the same store plus listening to the album in the sotre via headphones whilst enjoying a coffee or cigarette (not possible in all stores of course)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2009 - 21:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.05.2009 at 21:06

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:46

You're reasoning is wrong here. Cause the difference between the new price and what you paid now WENT to the record store and NOT the record company. A record store pays the record company and then decides what price they charge (based on rent, profit margins, personel costs etc.) If I buy Let There Be Blood in 2 years time both the record company and band would still have had the same money but because you didn't buy it at first the record store is FORCED to sell it at a lower price in order to make room for newer more profitable releases. But if everybody waits a couple of years before buying the product the record store will go broke and will have to close down forcing the consumer to buy on the net. Buying on the Net of course has the advantage that it is cheaper since there is no physical store invloved. But the disadvantage is the lack of contact with people working in a store other people going to the same store plus listening to the album in the sotre via headphones whilst enjoying a coffee or cigarette (not possible in all stores of course)

i didn't know that about the store. it is interesting. but i have 1 question and this is the main reason which forced me to ha the beliefs i said. example: every century media album after 1-2 years in the bigest CD store in greece costs 7.5-10 euros. all metal blade or spv albums, even albums of 1990 etc cost at least 14-15 euros. their price is always on top. why??????
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
19.05.2009 - 21:18
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by BitterCOld on 19.05.2009 at 21:04

i am no expert on the process, let alone the situation specific to Exodus, but the labels provide the bands with the funding needed to get recording space/time as well as provide tour support. they also help in the distribution process.

buying albums helps the band be retained by a label (you think they're going to invest money in a band that doesn't move units?) - which in turn helps keep them touring and recording.

never mind the direct cut the artists get.

i didn't get exactly what you mean (because of english, not for other reasons)....????
----
19.05.2009 - 21:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 21:16

i didn't know that about the store. it is interesting. but i have 1 question and this is the main reason which forced me to ha the beliefs i said. example: every century media album after 1-2 years in the bigest CD store in greece costs 7.5-10 euros. all metal blade or spv albums, even albums of 1990 etc cost at least 14-15 euros. their price is always on top. why??????

I know for a fact that Century Media offers overstock to stores for a much lower price after a couple of years. Maybe Metal Blade and SPV don't do that. But I have also seen MB and SPV albums being offered at much lower prices here in The Netherlands after a couple of years.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2009 - 21:25
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.05.2009 at 21:24

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 21:16

I know for a fact that Century Media offers overstock to stores for a much lower price after a couple of years. Maybe Metal Blade and SPV don't do that. But I have also seen MB and SPV albums being offered at much lower prices here in The Netherlands after a couple of years.

mmm... who knows??? maybe the truth is somewhere between our opinions. or it maybe closer to someones....
----
19.05.2009 - 21:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The short version is this:

record companies spend money to help a band record an album, they also spend money to help a band tour. they get their investment back through, amongst other things, album sales.

the more people that buy the album, the greater the financial return and greater likelihood of more albums and tours.

horrible sales figures and the company losing money will often result in the band getting dropped... which makes it much harder for them to record new music or go out on the road.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.05.2009 - 22:29
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by BitterCOld on 19.05.2009 at 21:52

The short version is this:

record companies spend money to help a band record an album, they also spend money to help a band tour. they get their investment back through, amongst other things, album sales.

the more people that buy the album, the greater the financial return and greater likelihood of more albums and tours.

horrible sales figures and the company losing money will often result in the band getting dropped... which makes it much harder for them to record new music or go out on the road.

ok, now with easier english i got you!!!!

yeah i understand your opinion but generally about the 10 (from 18 to 7.5 fro example) euros i am talking all the time i am really confused....! it's not i don't understand what you say. i just find the whole story a bit strange...
----
04.12.2009 - 18:46
BudDa
Elite
Exodus has announced a series of special, upcoming LIVE in-studio web streams throughout the month of December for the recording process of the upcoming album, The Atrocity Exhibition: EXHIBIT B.

All info here:
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=19523175&blogId=520904971
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
26.01.2010 - 06:36
Hey!
Sorry, but WHERE THE HELL IS LET THERE BE BLOOD FROM THE DISCOGRAPHY?! :O:O:O
It's Exodus's genious classic debut's, BBB's fantastic pure thrash re-record!
26.01.2010 - 07:07
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
My friend really likes this band and I wanna get into it. What's their best album?
26.01.2010 - 07:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by bloodwrage on 26.01.2010 at 07:07

My friend really likes this band and I wanna get into it. What's their best album?

Well, you can try reading the previous posts in the thread. My favorites are Bonded by Blood and Fabulous Disaster, but Impact is Imminent is very underrated. Tempo of the Damned is good and consistent, but it sounds a little samey at times. Shovel Headed Kill Machine is good if you're doing something at the time, like driving or working, but gets a little tedious if you dedicate all of your focus to it.
14.02.2010 - 08:31
DoomGuard
Fantastic band since the beginning

this is my opinion
18.02.2010 - 23:56
Don Martin
le fu-
They should be equally as famous as Shitknot-...I mean Slipknot- unjustifiedly are! Gary Holt shits on James Root and Mick Thompson.
----
What a tackastrophe!
19.02.2010 - 01:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Okay, my thoughts on Exodus condensed down a bit:

Zetro is my fave Exodus vocalist. "Force Of Habit" is criminally underrated. "Fabulous Disaster" is slightly overrated. "Pleasures Of The Flesh" is my fave Exodus album. Although Lee Altus is great, I miss Rick Hunolt, and wish he'd come back to Exodus. "Let There Be Blood" was totally unecessary, and for the most part paled in comparison to the original. "Tempo Of The Damned" is an amazing modern thrash album, and shows the young pretenders how it's done! "Shovel Headed Kill Machine" machine is actually a very good album, even though Rob Dukes isnt quite as good as Zetro. And the album isnt quite as good as ''Tempo..." I thought "Atrocity Exhibition Exhibit A" was for the most part, very disappointing.

There, I prevented the need for a huge post!
17.12.2011 - 15:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Currently listening to Deathamphetamine.. dat snare drum, dat bass, dat main riff.. it sounds like a fucking nuclear explosion. definitely my favorite Exodus song by far. I actually prefer their newer stuff where they decided to stand out a bit from the slightly generic (imo) thrash of their first few albums and write truly epic and devastating songs like this or "The Ballad of Leonard and Charles".
17.12.2011 - 17:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 17.12.2011 at 15:56

Currently listening to Deathamphetamine.. dat snare drum, dat bass, dat main riff.. it sounds like a fucking nuclear explosion. definitely my favorite Exodus song by far. I actually prefer their newer stuff where they decided to stand out a bit from the slightly generic (imo) thrash of their first few albums and write truly epic and devastating songs like this or "The Ballad of Leonard and Charles".

Boring song off a boring album imo.
And how is their thrash on their first couple of albums generic? They ahd a totally original sound of their own back then.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2011 - 18:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2011 at 17:41

And how is their thrash on their first couple of albums generic? They ahd a totally original sound of their own back then.

Haven't listened to all albums but aside from the vocals I have a hard time distinguishing it from Metallica's heavier moments or Testament.
17.12.2011 - 18:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 17.12.2011 at 18:06

Haven't listened to all albums but aside from the vocals I have a hard time distinguishing it from Metallica's heavier moments or Testament.

First off Testament of course more or less took exodus sound and built on it. If you can't distinguish between exodus' sound and Metallica's heavier moment, you really need a new pair of ears
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2011 - 18:19
vezzy
Stallmanite

I agree. Shovel Headed Kill Machine lacked any memorability whatsoever. In fact, the entire guitar tone just felt so muffled, like it had laryngitis or something.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.12.2011 - 18:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Yesterday's set at Eindhoven Metal Meeting once again proved Exodus are at their bst and deadlist when they play only songs off their first three albums. All songs are way more compact and never drag unlike most of the songs on their last three albums.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2011 - 21:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I really wish Exodus wouldn't play downtuned guitars when playing their old stuff live. Most of the time it's very much detrimental to those songs in my opinion...
17.12.2011 - 21:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.12.2011 at 21:11

I really wish Exodus wouldn't play downtuned guitars when playing their old stuff live. Most of the time it's very much detrimental to those songs in my opinion...

That and the bad sound in the venue were my biggest gripes about yesterday's gig.&0 minutes of only songs off their first three, you can't make me happier than that. But the downtuned guitars spoiled it a bit bu not as much as the bad venue sound. Rob Dukes did a sterling job, he does sound a lot like Steve Zetro Souza, so I really don't understand most people's moaning about his vocals.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2011 - 21:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2011 at 21:25
That and the bad sound in the venue were my biggest gripes about yesterday's gig.&0 minutes of only songs off their first three, you can't make me happier than that. But the downtuned guitars spoiled it a bit bu not as much as the bad venue sound. Rob Dukes did a sterling job, he does sound a lot like Steve Zetro Souza, so I really don't understand most people's moaning about his vocals.

I was hoping that the past few months that Gary has been playing with Slayer would have made him start playing old Exodus songs in their original tunings. (as Slayer do play their old material in it's original tuning) But it appears not... *sighs*

A couple of days ago, I found out that Exodus had started playing DERANGED again, and immediately went to youtube to check out some footage of it. But then I found it was being played detuned, which deflated me a bit... lol But playing that song again... I can't imagine when was the last time they played that one! Rob Dukes did sound amazingly like Zetro on "Deranged", which was awesome, I loved his performance on that. I don't understand the moaning about his vocals either.
18.12.2011 - 00:03
Savopipo
Bought "Bonded by blood" during the stone age and remember I liked it very much but kinda lost track of Exodus somewhere on the way. Listened to something I think was called Shovelhead or something like that some years ago but I can't really get into thrash bands any more since I've turned towards more black metal and the likes.

Edit: The album mentioned above is really titled "Shovel Headed Kill Machine".
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
20.03.2012 - 03:33
Thrash83
Steve Souza has to be one of my favorite vocalists of all time.
22.12.2013 - 13:30
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Plans for new EXODUS studio album.

Holt :
Quote:
"I'm heavily in riff mode [right now]. It's always hard to gauge where a record's going right away, but you kind of get a feel for where you're headed mentally, and right now it's really fast. It's ridiculous.I wanna make sure that the [next EXODUS] album is as good as it needs to be, and knowing I am going to be on a tight time frame, it does tend to stress me out quite a bit. But I think I write well under stress? I hate the pressure. But I do what I gotta do. We all do. So we'll make it happen."
28.12.2013 - 13:27
Darth Revan
Call me a Heathen (haha, it's a pun... Someone kill me), but Dukes is my favorite vocalist. Steve's voice got screechy, and Paul was amazing, but lacked a bit of venom. Dukes has a perfect balance of depth, ferocity and venom. The guy is obviously a bit of a try-hard on stage, but I can still say without any doubt that an Exodus concert would probably be the most amazing live experience I can think of, so I suppose it pays off. Also... We absolutely need a new Exodus album, as I see it right now, they're pretty much the only old 80's band that still has the energy from back then (Megadeth? Slayer? Should I even bother mentioning Metallica? Metal up your ass, my ass...) aside from Testament. Yeah, there's the whole new wave of thrash thing, but that's no substitute for proper old-school thrash.
04.02.2014 - 06:50
UPDIRNS
Written by Darth Revan on 28.12.2013 at 13:27

Call me a Heathen (haha, it's a pun... Someone kill me), but Dukes is my favorite vocalist. Steve's voice got screechy, and Paul was amazing, but lacked a bit of venom. Dukes has a perfect balance of depth, ferocity and venom. The guy is obviously a bit of a try-hard on stage, but I can still say without any doubt that an Exodus concert would probably be the most amazing live experience I can think of, so I suppose it pays off. Also... We absolutely need a new Exodus album, as I see it right now, they're pretty much the only old 80's band that still has the energy from back then (Megadeth? Slayer? Should I even bother mentioning Metallica? Metal up your ass, my ass...) aside from Testament. Yeah, there's the whole new wave of thrash thing, but that's no substitute for proper old-school thrash.

I agree I like Dukes the best. I like the tone of his voice better. Also I prefer their newer stuff a lot more than their older albums which are all very good. Bonded, Fabulous, Impact are great, but my favorites are their last two Exhibit A and B. They aren't repetitive or boring to me. I think they are original, creative, dynamic and offer some unbelievable riffs. Holt is a guitar god and I'm so glad he's pulling double duty and playing for Slayer too. I can't wait for their next album. The old bands of thrash are still making excellent music. I love Testament's last three albums (The Gathering, Formation and Dark Roots), Slayers last three are great (God Hates, Christ and World Painted), Anthrax last album (Worship) was awesome, Metallica's (Magnetic) was great and Megadeth's (Thirteen and Endgame) kick ass. And don't forget Death Angel and Kreator their last two albums are my favorites of their entire catalogs. Maybe it's because I appreciate good production value, but these bands are still awesome (save Lars as he cannot play anymore, Metallica is probably done now).