Metal Storm logo
Exodus

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 17.05.2006 - 05:55
Have to have an official thread for these guys.I believe I speak on behalf of most metalheads when I say you must have Bonded By Blood in your collection.Paul Baloff(R.I.P) has such great screeching vocals it sucks he was only on one album.Who is your fav. vocalist form Exodus?Was Paul,Steve or the new guy Rob.
03.12.2007 - 06:30
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 03.12.2007 at 01:05
I believe it was a good first post. If not, how do you suggest I should've went about it?
"should've gone", but I can't find anything wrong with your first post Personally I like Tempo of the Damned way more than what has come since.

BTW Aronax, "the shit" is slang for "really good"
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
03.12.2007 - 18:53
ArcanaHereticae
Written by Syk on 03.12.2007 at 06:30

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 03.12.2007 at 01:05
I believe it was a good first post. If not, how do you suggest I should've went about it?
"should've gone", but I can't find anything wrong with your first post Personally I like Tempo of the Damned way more than what has come since.

BTW Aronax, "the shit" is slang for "really good"

Oh. Haha. "gone". My bad. Anyways, yeah, "the shit." But Tempo of The Damned is good, too. Scar Spangled Banner and Impaler were good songs.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
16.12.2007 - 22:01
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Gary Holt was recently interviewed by "Whiplash", a weekly metal show on Belgian national radio Studio Brussel. You can listen to the chat in streaming audio at this location.
05.04.2008 - 07:10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.04.2008 - 09:26
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
GuitarWorld.com has posted a video interview with guitarists Gary Holt and Lee Altus. you can find the interview at this location.
17.05.2008 - 03:09
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
I say you must have all albums from Bonded by blood to Impact is imminent on your collection! if not, you are missing a big piece ...
13.06.2008 - 04:01
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
After a long time of not listening to them, I decided to take a listen to "Tempo of the Damned", and I must say it is utterly vicious.
13.06.2008 - 04:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I would like to warn anyone... stay away from Impact Is Imminent and Force Of Habit, anything before those two is great to good and after it Tempo is great as well SHovel Headed Kill Machine is boring and Exhibition A has its moments but generally the songs are to long for the ideas used in them
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.06.2008 - 04:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 29.11.2006 at 06:10

I think that it's a real shame what happened to Terry Hunt, because he was among their better drummers.

Terry Hunt? I guess you meant Tom Hunting. Well, he is back touring with them again. And lemme guarantee you he is a monster live, up there with drum god Gene Hoglan IMO.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.06.2008 - 05:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.06.2008 at 04:25

Written by Arian Totalis on 29.11.2006 at 06:10

I think that it's a real shame what happened to Terry Hunt, because he was among their better drummers.

Terry Hunt? I guess you meant Tom Hunting. Well, he is back touring with them again. And lemme guarantee you he is a monster live, up there with drum god Gene Hoglan IMO.

Yeah, I did mean Tom Hunting, and the funny thing is that I knew that was his name, but when I typed it, I for some reason just mindlessly typed "Terry Hunt" Man, I would kill to see them live.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

13.06.2008 - 14:11
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by Arian Totalis on 13.06.2008 at 05:53

Man, I would kill to see them live.

I'll get that change, 2 months from now they will come to Portugal!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
24.06.2008 - 01:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Anyone planning on buying the re-recorded version of Bonded by Blood that comes out in a couple of months? I haven't decided yet, but I probably will. The original version has horrible production.
24.06.2008 - 01:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 24.06.2008 at 01:20

Anyone planning on buying the re-recorded version of Bonded by Blood that comes out in a couple of months? I haven't decided yet, but I probably will. The original version has horrible production.

I will buy it, but my hopes are really low cause IMO Dukes' vocals will most certainly kill it, take away the magic which was there because of Balloff's vocals and also the production, which for today's standards might be crap but at them time was decent.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.06.2008 - 01:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.06.2008 at 01:28

I will buy it, but my hopes are really low cause IMO Dukes' vocals will most certainly kill it, take away the magic which was there because of Balloff's vocals and also the production, which for today's standards might be crap but at them time was decent.

my expectations are the same.

i remember being really stoked at the prospect of Anthrax re-recording classic tracks with John Bush on vocals rather than Joey Belladonna... and most were nowhere as good.

i'm afraid the same will happen if they redo Bonded by Balloff.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.06.2008 - 02:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 24.06.2008 at 01:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.06.2008 at 01:28

my expectations are the same.

i remember being really stoked at the prospect of Anthrax re-recording classic tracks with John Bush on vocals rather than Joey Belladonna... and most were nowhere as good.

i'm afraid the same will happen if they redo Bonded by Balloff.

Other problem will be that the musicans aren't the same one either plus the fact that they have grown as musicians which will make Bonded sound less fresh and I think it will lose its bite by tighter instrumentation. TGhe total magic will have gone I am sure.

Just like with First Strike Still Deadly by Testament, although very well played they sounded a bit too clean and had lost their magic.
And as you said same problem with Anthrax, I did like the re-recorded versions because of John Bush but the magic had vapourised.
An example of a re-recorded album whihc was really crap was the Dimmu Borgir one.
Actually I can't for the love of God/Satan think of a single re-recorded version of a song or album that even came close to the original recordings.

As for the production, which is so-called better nowadays, yeah it sounds cleaner but in 95% of the cases that just takes away from the overal feel.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.06.2008 - 01:31
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Def one of my top ten fav bands-- awesome (bay area) thrash

I am actually more a fan of their newer stuff Shovel Headed and Atrocity Exhibition r two kick-ass albums

some of the best solo's around. period.
25.06.2008 - 06:10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Shit, they're gonna re-record Bonded by Blood?! I've gotta get the origional version before they stop prinitng it!
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.06.2008 - 01:01
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Arian Totalis on 25.06.2008 at 06:10

Shit, they're gonna re-record Bonded by Blood?! I've gotta get the origional version before they stop prinitng it!

I think they stopped printing the original a long time ago...
28.06.2008 - 01:23
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Candlemass on 28.06.2008 at 01:01

When I say Origional, I mean with Paul Baloff on vocals. I could get the 1989 re-issue.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.06.2008 - 13:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.06.2008 at 01:23

When I say Origional, I mean with Paul Baloff on vocals. I could get the 1989 re-issue.

Or the 1999 re-issue
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.06.2008 - 18:43
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2008 at 13:46

Or the 1999 re-issue

Well, the 1999 re-issue has steve souza on vocals, so I can't go that route.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.06.2008 - 18:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.06.2008 at 18:43

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2008 at 13:46

Or the 1999 re-issue

Well, the 1999 re-issue has steve souza on vocals, so I can't go that route.

Nope, Bonded By Bloood 1999 Cnetury Media re-issue is a remastered version of the original one. There is no 1989 reissue ;-) Bonded By Blood has never been rerecorded with Souza on vocals. I think you're thinking of the 1999 PLeasure of the Flesh and Fabulous Disaster reissues, but then again Souza was the original vocalist.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.06.2008 - 22:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
OKay just gathered from a very reliable source that the music to Bonded By Blood has been re-recorded by the band but that the 9 songs will be sungs by 9 vocalists. Shame though is that no names have been made public yet.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.07.2008 - 13:16
Timelord
I had the chance to see Exodus on the Tempo tour in Jackson,MS of all places. It was a filler show in between dates. Must have been all of 35 people there. Got to hang out with the guys and eat some dinner at a small diner across the street. All were totally cool except Gary Holt. I am not gonna go as far as calling him names because we all have our bad days but he was the less of the bunch. Not rude but not overly friendly either.

Anyway we asked them if they could play Cajun Hell because we were so close to New Orleans. They told us it wasn't on the set list but what the hell give it a shot. It turned out fucking awesome as did the whole show. Pretty cool when Exodus was basically playing for us and the janitor is this dump.

I think they should leave "Bonded by Blood" as is. It is a classic that doesn't need to be re-recorded. Thats like Slayer redoing Show no Mercy because the production sucked. WHY? Thats what made it great and timeless because it was done during a time when those bands were against the grain and had to figure out a way to get that heavy sound before there were 250 different pedals for this or that. Now if they played a show and had guest vocals on all nine songs and put out a tribute dvd to Paul that would be cool. But to re-record the whole album and call it bonded by blood is an insult to me.
24.08.2008 - 02:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
So I figured I'd check out Impact is Imminent by Exodus, since I've overplayed most of their albums that I own and because I haven't heard much about that specific release.

Oh fuck, that might not be the right cover. Anyways, I assumed it was going to be slow or some sort of sellout album, but it's not - it's still heavy and in your face, with Steve's vocals still filled with attitude. My favorite part about it is that there are a lot of instrumentals, not just guitar solos. Well, tbh I guess the album is quite mid-paced after the first couple songs end, but I still like it, probably because my expectations were very low.

Am I the only person who likes it?
24.08.2008 - 05:50
Sorg
Account deleted
Everyone says "Exodus sold out", but I happen to like their newer stuff.
25.08.2008 - 13:28
Inlé
Same here, I prefer their 80's stuff but Shovel Headed Kill Machine and The Atrocity Exhibition are still solid albums, really. Tempo is great and probably my 3rd favourite Exodus album.
25.08.2008 - 13:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 24.08.2008 at 05:50

Everyone says "Exodus sold out", but I happen to like their newer stuff.

I actually never people claim that Exodus sold out... all I hear (and agree with) is that quite a lot of people view both Shovel Headed Kill Machine & The Atrocity Exhibition as subpar compared to their first three and to their come-back Tempo of the Damned.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2008 - 22:49
Baz Anderson
Staff
Indeed, I might even prefer later Exodus to earlier. The main problem people seem to have at the moment is with Rob - their vocalist.
I don't really have much of a problem with him though, he does the job - I just worry about his range and versatility.
26.08.2008 - 22:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 26.08.2008 at 22:49

Indeed, I might even prefer later Exodus to earlier. The main problem people seem to have at the moment is with Rob - their vocalist.
I don't really have much of a problem with him though, he does the job - I just worry about his range and versatility.

I don't have a problem with Rob at all since he is in the line of Souza. As being limited in range and versatility, he has a larger range and is more versatile than both Balloff & Souza, but those two had more characteristic voices. My problem with both Shovelheaded & Atrocity is the music which isn't varied at all, unlike their older songs, and the songs are way too long for the ideas used in them, unlike those on their older albums.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996