Metal Storm logo
Star Wars

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 17.05.2006 - 06:10

How many of you enjoy these movies as much as I do? I have to say that I am a fan of these movies to such extent as to have action figures hanging in my bedroom's walls, buying the first three movies in original DVDs (the next three are coming soon), having the "Clone Wars" episodes in VHS, memorizing lines of the movies and owning some comic books from the new episodes.

I went to watch the second movie, which is the fifth, in the theaters with my sister's ex husband and that is when I got hooked by the series. Before that, I never had a curiosity for the movies and now that I look back I don't know why I didn't get into them earlier.

Then the episode three, Revenge of the Sith came in. I have been waiting ages for this movie and, when the chance came, I went to see it at the theaters in that same day it released at 12:00 AM (in spite that I had a test for my University at 7:00 AM that same day). It was such a grim experience to watch that movie along with so many fans of the series. They were all dressed as Darth Vader or as Jedi Knights and when things that had an impact to the fans, as the first breath of Darth Vader, we would be screaming until death of the emotion. Damn, they should present all the movies at the theaters again!

Some people think that the newest movies, the episodes for the first to the third movie, are a disgrace for the older movie but I have to disagree. In my opinion these movies are as good as the old ones and they still maintain that old Star Wars feeling in them. We all love Jar Jar Binks, don't we?

Join me all of you my apprentices and padawans!

Anyway, that is just me and a few million others that love all the movies. Just tell us what you think about the movies.

All hail George Lucas! :[
18.12.2007 - 19:34
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 17.12.2007 at 21:26

Written by Valentin B on 16.12.2007 at 18:41

Written by Ellrohir on 16.12.2007 at 18:23

independent story lines...

i have to disagree on this. the big idea behind the whole SW universe is the battle between the dark side of the force(represented by the emperor, darth vader, maul, the other sith and of course the Trade Federation and the Empire) and the light side(represented by yoda, obi-wan kenobi, luke skywalker, the Republic, and the Rebels)

the climactic lightsaber duels in Episode III show perfectly well what i mean: the whole idea behind SW is, in the essence, Yoda vs. Darth Sidious(the masters of the light and dark side) and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker(the apprentices of the light and dark sides).

also, in the end of Episode VI, another climactic lightsaber fight between Luke on the light side and Vader and the Emperor on the dark side. however, though the odds were against him at first, Vader redeems himself and is once again Anakin Skywalker, killing the Dark Lord of the Sith and thus bringing balance to the force.

so the 2 stories are tied together perfectly. if they were independent how do you explain then that Anakin/Vader is a main character in all 6 episodes?

Actually, the Star wars films show the final confrontation of the Jedi and Sith for a Batlle that was raging for over 10,000 years. From the early Sith Lords to the Great Jedi-Sith War. Kun, Revan, Ban. Hoth, Rand and hundred of others are in all of these stories that come to a close with the death of the most power Sith ever, Sidious.

Yeah but arn't all those other stoires (I mean the ones not in the films) written by other people (not George Lucas)?
18.12.2007 - 20:03
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Lucas has written some, and others he has over seen. Lucas decides what makes it into the cannon and what doesn't.
----
(space for rent)
18.12.2007 - 20:28
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
I didn't realise he was actually connected with them in any way. That makes them slightly more acceptable... only slightly...
18.12.2007 - 20:30
Lord TJ
You think they will ever make Star War's movies of how everything started?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
20.12.2007 - 00:33
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
@TJ: I'd bet money on it. Even though I knew Episodes 1-3 wouldn't be that good I went to see them more out of interest, to see what they'd done with the story. It'll be the same when they make more.

I'm sure I heard Lucas say in an interview that he has absolutely ALL the rights to all the Star Wars merchandise, because back when it was made movie merchandising wasn't such a big thing, so 20th Century Fox thought nothing of it. Bet they're kicking themselves now hahaha. I'm sure I've mentioned that on here before somewhere but I can't remember. Oh well.
20.12.2007 - 17:49
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Lord TJ on 18.12.2007 at 20:30

I doubt it, because they would have to go back at least 25,000 years. It all started when the galaxy's best philosophers, priests, scientists, and warriors came together to discuss their discoveries involving the enigmatic and mystical Ashla ,which lead into the First Great Schism, know as the Force Wars.
----
(space for rent)
20.12.2007 - 18:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
I saw Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace on TV for the thousand time or something like that yesterday. Star Wars is without doubt my favourite movies and the best with Episode I is of course young Anakin. It's so hard to imagine that he'll grow up to be the coolest villain of all time!
----
20.12.2007 - 19:37
Lord TJ
Written by Dane Train on 20.12.2007 at 17:49

I doubt it, because they would have to go back at least 25,000 years. It all started when the galaxy's best philosophers, priests, scientists, and warriors came together to discuss their discoveries involving the enigmatic and mystical Ashla ,which lead into the First Great Schism, know as the Force Wars.

Wow, I hate to diss star wars because its awesome and everything, but who seriously has the time to sit and make up 25,000 years of history for something that doesnt really exist in life?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
20.12.2007 - 21:48
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Lord TJ on 20.12.2007 at 19:37

Written by Dane Train on 20.12.2007 at 17:49

Wow, I hate to diss star wars because its awesome and everything, but who seriously has the time to sit and make up 25,000 years of history for something that doesnt really exist in life?

Christians.
----
Christless
20.12.2007 - 22:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

i am creating whole new fantasy world (called Emdaus) with 7770 (and even some more "before") years of history to be made
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.12.2007 - 22:54
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Darth Satanious on 20.12.2007 at 21:48

Christians.

Um...what do you mean by that? Or was it just random immature spam for the thread?

Well, a lot of the history is not written yet. There are still many gaps. Like, what ever happened to Revan and the Exile?

Most of the stories that exsite are written by different authors in novel form. Some are released through video game form too.
----
(space for rent)
20.12.2007 - 23:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Dane Train on 20.12.2007 at 22:54

Christians.

Um...what do you mean by that? Or was it just random immature spam for the thread?

i think he spoke about Holy Bible...because i dont wanna insult you or any believer, but those thousands years of "history" written in Bible are mostly not real...may have some real bases in people or events, but in general they are fantasied...
----

21.12.2007 - 07:51
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer

Christians.

I don't spam. I may go off-topic with easiness but not to the spamming. Immature you say? That is left to perception. There is no fooling here to be done. Between those contrived and restraint words, your anger writhes to be freed. Take that lightsaber and try to strike me down. Only then your quest to the dark side of the Force will be complete.
----
Christless
21.12.2007 - 09:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Darth Satanious on 21.12.2007 at 07:51

Christians.

I don't spam. I may go off-topic with easiness but not to the spamming. Immature you say? That is left to perception. There is no fooling here to be done. Between those contrived and restraint words, your anger writhes to be freed. Take that lightsaber and try to strike me down. Only then your quest to the dark side of the Force will be complete.

dude you always crack me up with all this dark side talk!

as for movies, i think it would be more appropriate to make episodes 7-9 instead of even more prequels which may add even more loose ends and subplots than episodes 1-3 added to the whole story(like the whole Padawan apprentice thing, the clone wars, the sith-jedi wars etc.)
21.12.2007 - 12:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
read some books if you wanna know about clone wars or about anything, which either prequels or sequels or fills the "gap" between
----

22.12.2007 - 16:20
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Valentin B on 21.12.2007 at 09:22

Written by Darth Satanious on 21.12.2007 at 07:51

Christians.

dude you always crack me up with all this dark side talk!

as for movies, i think it would be more appropriate to make episodes 7-9 instead of even more prequels which may add even more loose ends and subplots than episodes 1-3 added to the whole story(like the whole Padawan apprentice thing, the clone wars, the sith-jedi wars etc.)

Is that possible? I mean, how could they further what happens after the battle at Endor with movies when the people who acted for the first/ last three movies are not in the "conditions" to portray their respective roles in the movies? Well, Lucas likes to substitute more and more real things with the computer animated so I guess that the next step for him would be to completely disregard the usage of real actors. The realism achieved through computers can be amazing though, just look at the Spirits Within, a movie which looks extremely real and was done some considerate time ago. The voice-overs could be a problem certainly. Hmm, unless you are talking about parallel stories to the ones of Luke, Leia, Solo and people, or stories after theirs.

The Clone Wars stuff can be pretty bad-ass:

----
Christless
22.12.2007 - 17:08
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 22.12.2007 at 16:20

Is that possible? I mean, how could they further what happens after the battle at Endor with movies when the people who acted for the first/ last three movies are not in the "conditions" to portray their respective roles in the movies? Well, Lucas likes to substitute more and more real things with the computer animated so I guess that the next step for him would be to completely disregard the usage of real actors. The realism achieved through computers can be amazing though, just look at the Spirits Within, a movie which looks extremely real and was done some considerate time ago. The voice-overs could be a problem certainly. Hmm, unless you are talking about parallel stories to the ones of Luke, Leia, Solo and people, or stories after theirs.

One of the reasons why I think the original films can never be surpassed is that they were made in the days when people actually built the sets and the ships and the props. Everything looks great and it looks real... because it IS real! CGI really pisses me off! I've yet to see a film when it didn't look totally shit. Hardly anything looks real anymore becaue they use CGI even when it's not needed, to touch up someones six pack or add shadows or whatever, it's ridiculous! That's just my opinion though...
22.12.2007 - 18:43
Warman
Erotic Stains

Christians.

Hahaha, made me laugh out loud man!
----
23.12.2007 - 12:49
Eight
Shapeshifter
F*** i missed that
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
23.12.2007 - 18:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast

[Clone Wars comics]

dude, those were awesome! where did you get them?
23.12.2007 - 22:11
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 22.12.2007 at 17:08

One of the reasons why I think the original films can never be surpassed is that they were made in the days when people actually built the sets and the ships and the props. Everything looks great and it looks real... because it IS real! CGI really pisses me off! I've yet to see a film when it didn't look totally shit. Hardly anything looks real anymore becaue they use CGI even when it's not needed, to touch up someones six pack or add shadows or whatever, it's ridiculous! That's just my opinion though...

At least the take of Utapau from above was done with a miniature set. ha I guess that some scenes could have looked more real indeed if they were made in real environments, but George gave us some from time to time in the prequels. Still, I prefer the prequels over the first three because of the storyline, the Anakin character, a more palpable exposure of the Jedi and their ways, the formalities and procedures within Worlds that are being governed, the lightsaber duels (very, very, very important), and so forth.

hmm, I would say that the lizard they created in computer for the Godzilla 2000 movie got to look very real at times.

Written by Valentin B on 23.12.2007 at 18:52

[Clone Wars comics]

dude, those were awesome! where did you get them?

They really are man. This came from some comics that Dark Horse released during 2005. I got to buy three of the four from Grievous and just one of Obsession which dealt with Ventress being reborn.

I would have liked that George got to portray Grievous more powerful and evil than how he appeared in Revenge, like allowing him to kill some Jedi or something in the lines of these scenes. He was going to kill Shaak Ti but then was decided that it was non-cannon.
----
Christless
23.12.2007 - 23:38
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Well, remember that the original cut of Revenge of the Sith was a little over 4 hours long. There was a lot more with the Jedi and such, but like the scenes from Attack of the Clones, they were cut because they were not relevant to the story of Anakin.
----
(space for rent)
24.12.2007 - 09:04
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
And that is a pity. I wouldn't mind sitting for four hours watching all that. But for example, in one of the deleted scenes, during the start of the Revenge movie, Anakin and Kenobi were to find Shaak Ti held by Grievous just to be executed by him moments after. That scene could have fitted perfectly well, don't you think? You would even have Anakin there in the same scene and allow Grievous to look heartless and cold and menacing.
----
Christless
24.12.2007 - 11:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Darth Satanious on 24.12.2007 at 09:04

You would even have Anakin there in the same scene and allow Grievous to look heartless and cold and menacing.

heartless is not one of the best ways to describe Grievous, if i remember the movie correctly

btw obi-wan destroyed him easily because grievous only used lightsabers(which he had stolen from fallen jedi) but with no knowledge of the Force?

indeed there are huge discrepancies between the prequels and the trilogy, in the trilogy there is a lot of character development but with little storyline, with great acting, while episode I is like some kind of revelation, such an enormous ammount of information is given, that i for one couldn't understand a thing about the trade federation blockade, the war on Naboo, etc. only the jedi storyline. Also the final duel between Maul and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan is my second fave duel ever. Especially when the shield raises after Qui-Gon is killed. That was one fantastic moment.

Episode II is by far the worst of the SW movies, but that still means it's a decent movie, Anakin's character is played poorly especially in the "oh, padme, how i would love to love you" moments, but the lightsaber duels are great, especially when Yoda arrives in the scene and fights Dooku. Also i absolutely loved the moment when Anakin confesses that he killed the Sandpeople, at which point the Darth Vader theme plays in the background, and when Yoda is meditating and we hear Qui-Gon shouting "Anakin!! No!!!"

Episode III is 100x better than II, every piece of the puzzle falls into place perfectly, and we have absolutely the best saber duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan.
26.12.2007 - 18:58
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Valentin B on 24.12.2007 at 11:48

Written by Darth Satanious on 24.12.2007 at 09:04

You would even have Anakin there in the same scene and allow Grievous to look heartless and cold and menacing.

heartless is not one of the best ways to describe Grievous, if i remember the movie correctly

btw obi-wan destroyed him easily because grievous only used lightsabers(which he had stolen from fallen jedi) but with no knowledge of the Force?

indeed there are huge discrepancies between the prequels and the trilogy, in the trilogy there is a lot of character development but with little storyline, with great acting, while episode I is like some kind of revelation, such an enormous ammount of information is given, that i for one couldn't understand a thing about the trade federation blockade, the war on Naboo, etc. only the jedi storyline. Also the final duel between Maul and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan is my second fave duel ever. Especially when the shield raises after Qui-Gon is killed. That was one fantastic moment.

Episode II is by far the worst of the SW movies, but that still means it's a decent movie, Anakin's character is played poorly especially in the "oh, padme, how i would love to love you" moments, but the lightsaber duels are great, especially when Yoda arrives in the scene and fights Dooku. Also i absolutely loved the moment when Anakin confesses that he killed the Sandpeople, at which point the Darth Vader theme plays in the background, and when Yoda is meditating and we hear Qui-Gon shouting "Anakin!! No!!!"

Episode III is 100x better than II, every piece of the puzzle falls into place perfectly, and we have absolutely the best saber duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

How would you call Grievous after the confrontation with Kenobi then?

I was kind of disappointed of how Grievous died. I was pumped up after watching some days before the Clone Wars animated series and was expecting some ass kicking done by Grievous, just to watch him die like this. At least he was killed by one of the top of the Jedi so I won't complain much.
His lack of ability to control the Force kept him from becoming more powerful than what he was. Perhaps in awareness of this, Count Dooku gave him the counsel of always having fear and intimidation by his side when fighting the Jedi and he accomplished this for sure. Just see how he left Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi after the confrontation at Hypori. Mundi was out of control to the point that a mere Clone Trooper had to tell him: "calm yourself".

That is one of the things I like about Star Wars. The story just starts and shows you what is happening without any of those tutorials for five-years-old kids to understand the whole story. It just has this summary in the form of the iconic yellow text at the beginning which pretty much tells you what has happened recently. But like you say for example, does it say anything about what is the Trade Federation? Where did it come from? What power it has? Why is it important? Watching a movie from Star Wars for the first time is as if you would pick a tome of a human civilization collection at random and start reading. You won't be able to avoid realizing that it did not start there, that there are a lot of things that happened previously to what you are reading that eventually led to that point and that, beyond, the story will further develop. Is as if each movie lets you grasp some of the story which spreads both backwards and forward.

And that duel took the actors quite some time to practice. That move that Obi-Wan does of moving his lightsaber to his back and then to the front in order to protect himself from those upcoming slashes to those parts by Maul came out pretty good.

You think so? Attack Of Then Clones is one of my favorite episodes and was the one to make me take the Star Wars story seriously. I remember I left the theater a little troubled after my sister's ex-husband told me that Anakin himself was bound to kill that cute thing called Padmé. I just couldn't deal with how a writer could make a thing such as this. I would say that the love scenes in the movie were well done. They weren't pretentious at all. The only scene I have felt that has come out of place, falling to the lame, would be the one that appeared in Revenge Of The Sith where Anakin says something like: "You are really beautiful.", and Padmé says: "That is because I am so in love.". That scene could have been led better without seeming so sterile and without taking the dialogue which, to me, was not the problem. I think that if the initial line of Anakin "You are so beautiful." Would have been followed by Padmé walking towards Anakin and Anakin embracing her by her back and then going in a more playful way between each other with that little sparring that they do between them with "No, it's because I am so in love. " and shit, that would have come better in my opinion. Nevertheless, I understand why the scene was important and it was because of the line that comes from Padmé's mouth: "So love has blinded you?"

Yeah, I saw the second one also at theater and the same day that it was screened for the first time and you can imagine how it was like within the theater when Yoda prepares to take his lightsaber to duel with Dooku. Those were screams all over the place, that vibe felt during the first screenings of the Star Wars movies is incredible. Hayden Christensen sure did the trick at acting in the prequels and I dare to say that no acting done in the first three movies matches the drama achieved in the new ones.
----
Christless
26.12.2007 - 19:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Darth Satanious on 26.12.2007 at 18:58

Just see how he left Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi after the confrontation at Hypori. Mundi was out of control to the point that a mere Clone Trooper had to tell him: "call yourself".

that wouldn't explain why Mace Windu took him to arrest Sidious in episode III. if i were him, facing the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, i'd fucking bring up the big guns, all the Jedi Masters i could find, not 2 loons who got killed instantly and another one who lasted about 3 seconds on screen.

btw what did Grievous do to him?

EDIT: yeah sorry about that, i googled ki-adi mundi and it's not the one i'm talking about(it's a zabrak or a twi-lek if i'm not mistaken, forgot his name), so i'll rephrase the question like this:

can't understand why Mace Windu took only so few jedi to arrest Sidious in episode III. if i were him, facing the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, i'd fucking bring up the big guns, all the Jedi Masters, Knights, even some older padawans, possibly Anakin too, not 2 loons who got killed instantly and another one who lasted about 3 seconds on screen.
27.12.2007 - 04:27
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Valentin B on 26.12.2007 at 19:15

Written by Darth Satanious on 26.12.2007 at 18:58

Just see how he left Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi after the confrontation at Hypori. Mundi was out of control to the point that a mere Clone Trooper had to tell him: "call yourself".

that wouldn't explain why Mace Windu took him to arrest Sidious in episode III. if i were him, facing the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, i'd fucking bring up the big guns, all the Jedi Masters i could find, not 2 loons who got killed instantly and another one who lasted about 3 seconds on screen.

btw what did Grievous do to him?

EDIT: yeah sorry about that, i googled ki-adi mundi and it's not the one i'm talking about(it's a zabrak or a twi-lek if i'm not mistaken, forgot his name), so i'll rephrase the question like this:

can't understand why Mace Windu took only so few jedi to arrest Sidious in episode III. if i were him, facing the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, i'd fucking bring up the big guns, all the Jedi Masters, Knights, even some older padawans, possibly Anakin too, not 2 loons who got killed instantly and another one who lasted about 3 seconds on screen.

They were Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar and Saesee Tiin, all of them Jedi Masters so they weren't just push-overs that Windu brought with him, I would say. Mace Windu must have felt that those Jedi Masters were enough I guess, especially if he was leading them. But it just must have been that George wanted some Jedi that would be sacrificed in order to show the power of Darth Sidious. Anakin was not an option since he was too close to the chancellor and that could have presented some conflict and Mace Windu foresaw this himself, without mentioning that Mace recognized that he didn't trust Anakin at all. Windu promised to Anakin that he would gain his trust if what he said about the chancellor being a Sith Lord was true.

At Hypori Grievous killed Tarr Seirr, Daakman Barrek and Sha'a Gi. He left very badly injured Shaak Ti, Aayla Secura and K'Kruhk. Ki-Adi-Mundi was the last one left standing fighting off how he could the skills of Grievous and just at the moment that Grievous disarmed Mundi in the battle, facing certain death, ARC Troopers appeared on a ship sent by Kenobi in Muunilinst and started to shoot all their artillery to Grievous, forcing him to run the fuck off. Mundi then goes to the ARC Captain and screams: "No, we must pursue!", and then the Captain makes him come to his senses. None of those Jedi could defend against the unorthodox offense of Grievous.

The sick motherfucker even grabs a lightsaber with one of his foot while holding other two lightsabers with his two arms.

He had yet to reveal his other two arms in the anime so just imagine if Grievous is not intimidating.
----
Christless
27.12.2007 - 05:19
Asphyxia
Account deleted

Good point, I never thought about that. Surely they would know how dangerous a Sith Lord is..?
27.12.2007 - 10:54
Oracle
Orcinus
I got Matt (Dark Cornatus) The Star Wars boxset for xmas and i cant wait to watch it. Ive only seen the first one of the Originals and i thought it was really good and it kept me entertained.
27.12.2007 - 14:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 27.12.2007 at 05:19

Good point, I never thought about that. Surely they would know how dangerous a Sith Lord is..?

yeah but Darth Satanious answered it correctly. i think though that it's a bit awkward that 3 jedi masters got killed so easily by Sidious, then Windu defeated him(this is explained though in the episode III novel which i own, because Windu has that special fighting style, Vaapad, taken from that creature on one of the moons of Sarapin). this would probably make Windu the most powerful Jedi of the old republic(and correct me if i'm wrong, but also the most powerful jedi ever, because as we see in episodes 4-6, Luke isn't that proficient with the saber, and of course Vader grew old, so his lightsaber fighting technique is diminished, not to mention the emperor's presumed proficiency). of course, we can talk about the Exile, Kreia, etc. of the KOTOR series but they are varied in strength relative to the player, whereas Windu isn't.

and i agree that Grievous was not portrayed that good in the movie, now that i see his other appearances. He should have at least gotten to kill a Jedi or something, not just being an old coughing geezer with two bird legs and 4 lightsabers which was no match for Obi-Wan(again i can't understand that if he wasn't a Sith, that he didn't think at all of battle honor and such, so on Utapau he could have just ordered the droid army that surrounded Obi to attack him, and he wouldn't have stood a chance).