Metal Storm logo
Star Wars

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 17.05.2006 - 06:10

How many of you enjoy these movies as much as I do? I have to say that I am a fan of these movies to such extent as to have action figures hanging in my bedroom's walls, buying the first three movies in original DVDs (the next three are coming soon), having the "Clone Wars" episodes in VHS, memorizing lines of the movies and owning some comic books from the new episodes.

I went to watch the second movie, which is the fifth, in the theaters with my sister's ex husband and that is when I got hooked by the series. Before that, I never had a curiosity for the movies and now that I look back I don't know why I didn't get into them earlier.

Then the episode three, Revenge of the Sith came in. I have been waiting ages for this movie and, when the chance came, I went to see it at the theaters in that same day it released at 12:00 AM (in spite that I had a test for my University at 7:00 AM that same day). It was such a grim experience to watch that movie along with so many fans of the series. They were all dressed as Darth Vader or as Jedi Knights and when things that had an impact to the fans, as the first breath of Darth Vader, we would be screaming until death of the emotion. Damn, they should present all the movies at the theaters again!

Some people think that the newest movies, the episodes for the first to the third movie, are a disgrace for the older movie but I have to disagree. In my opinion these movies are as good as the old ones and they still maintain that old Star Wars feeling in them. We all love Jar Jar Binks, don't we?

Join me all of you my apprentices and padawans!

Anyway, that is just me and a few million others that love all the movies. Just tell us what you think about the movies.

All hail George Lucas! :[
23.12.2014 - 20:13
JD
Account deleted
I really wanna watch Star Wars but I don't know how to start with it, the old movies doesn's realy take my interests, and watching the new ones without the old Star Wars might not be the best idea I guess. Any recomentations with whcih movie I should start with?
23.12.2014 - 20:43
Uldreth
Written by Guest on 23.12.2014 at 20:13

I really wanna watch Star Wars but I don't know how to start with it, the old movies doesn's realy take my interests, and watching the new ones without the old Star Wars might not be the best idea I guess. Any recomentations with whcih movie I should start with?

You don't need to watch the old movies to watch the new ones.

Also, I am quite sure a significant portion of the hate the new movies get is due to people being used to the old movies and the new ones are different in atmosphere and style a lot (imo).

Watch from The Phantom Menace and work your way up to Return of the Jedi.
24.12.2014 - 02:18
JD
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 23.12.2014 at 20:43

You don't need to watch the old movies to watch the new ones.

Also, I am quite sure a significant portion of the hate the new movies get is due to people being used to the old movies and the new ones are different in atmosphere and style a lot (imo).

Watch from The Phantom Menace and work your way up to Return of the Jedi.

Cool! thanks for the tips.
24.12.2014 - 03:28
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I'd say the Original Trilogy is far more praised because it was something new, revolutionary inside the film industry; it was fun and exciting, flamboyant and intriguing at the time being. The fact that audience that went into the cinema to see A New Hope did not know *SPOILER ALERT* Darth Vader was Luke's father may seem so foolish now, but back then it was major drama. In space. With super flashy effects.

The OT set trends, brought something new and started a cult, whilst the new trilogy was set just to broaden the picture (and earn some additional bucks). Don't get me wrong, I pretty much like the new trilogy (especially Attack Of The Clones), but there were some bad decisions made druing the entire period of making the movies (unnecessary characters, a few incredibly bad casting decisions, unnatural development of some scenes). And of course we all knew *SPOILER ALERT* Anakin Skywalker will become Darth Vader, so there goes the suspense. Lightsabers were nothing flashy and I still want to smack Natalie Portman for acting like she can't act and portray Princess Amidala like some brainless, useless bimbo.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
24.12.2014 - 07:58
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer

Actually the old films come after the new ones. A little after the release of the first Star Wars film (1977) George Lucas renamed that film to Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope. George Lucas envisioned pretty much the whole story and decided to start with the fourth film because the first ones were too complex for the special effects of the time.

That means that with Star Wars things are the opposite of what you don't consider a good idea: you better start with the new films in order to understand the old ones. at least in order to understand the story as a whole. The old films, the original trilogy, have aged well in my opinion, they don't look bad or that outdated really, I don't think you would mind that much watching them as long as you like Star Wars.

This is the order in which the films must be watched when it comes to story:

The Phantom Menace (1999)
Attack of the Clones (2002)
Revenge of the Sith (2005)
A New Hope (1977)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Return of the Jedi (1983)
The Force Awakens (2015)

You will see that these films have the Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, etc attached to them so watching the films by the episode number pretty much gives away the chronological order.

Also, if you like, and me strongly recommending it, watch this cartoon animated film once you finish Attack of the Clones and before watching Revenge of the Sith:

It is freaking awesome!
----
Christless
24.12.2014 - 13:37
Uldreth
Written by AnGina-- on 24.12.2014 at 03:28

I'd say the Original Trilogy is far more praised because it was something new, revolutionary inside the film industry; it was fun and exciting, flamboyant and intriguing at the time being. The fact that audience that went into the cinema to see A New Hope did not know *SPOILER ALERT* Darth Vader was Luke's father may seem so foolish now, but back then it was major drama. In space. With super flashy effects.

Sure, but it was still generally about effects and one major plot twist. Otherwise it was a pretty generic but fun fantasy story about good vs evil, which is really old by now.

I find it a bit hypocritical that so many people slag the new trilogy, because it is all about effects, even though the OT's charm were also visuals. I won't claim the NT is perfect, because it isn't, but I enjoy the greater shades of grey in it (though it got nothing on Knights Of The Old Republic II and its deconstructive approach to the Force), as well as the aspects of political drama (I grew up on Babylon 5!).

The biggest plothole and stupidity is still in Return Of The Jedi, imo, when the Emperor's handpicked elite forces get defeated by a bunch of underequipped rebels and a large amount of teddy bears with tribal levels of technology. It is like expecting some native americans armed with bows and spears to defeat a US special forces division, except even more unbalanced, and frankly, Jar Jar got nothing on the ewoks in terms of childish silliness

I do like all the movies, but I actually perfer the NT.
24.12.2014 - 14:28
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Uldreth on 24.12.2014 at 13:37

Sure, but it was still generally about effects and one major plot twist.

You just summed up my words there.

Otherwise it was a pretty generic but fun fantasy story about good vs evil, which is really old by now.

As all great adventure stories are. You have the protagonist, who goes on a journey, antagonist, a funny sidekick, a wise man advising and leading the antagonist, preferably the antagonist has some evil minions or an overlord or so; entangled with moments of love, friendship stories, family drama and so on and on.... Once read a really great article about it, it dissected it to the bone. Take LOTR or any other great adventure film, the plot line is pretty much similar.

I find it a bit hypocritical that so many people slag the new trilogy, because it is all about effects, even though the OT's charm were also visuals. I won't claim the NT is perfect, because it isn't, but I enjoy the greater shades of grey in it (though it got nothing on Knights Of The Old Republic II and its deconstructive approach to the Force), as well as the aspects of political drama (I grew up on Babylon 5!).

I find it interesting that you know so many people, who hate the new trilogy. I honestly don't, most of the people I know and have watched it enjoyed it, but on a different level that OT. I don't really count the massive amount of trolls on the Internet liable for their opinion. But well, then again, some people do enjoy their comfort zone so much and want to hang on to the ''old is always better'' concept forever, so I can understand the bashing on one hand.

I always try to find the best in what's new, and so did I in the NT. The Phantom Menace was really mellow to me, with the exception of Qui-Gon Jinn as a character, but I found my enjoyment and depth of the story in Attack and Revenge.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
24.12.2014 - 14:38
Uldreth
Written by AnGina-- on 24.12.2014 at 14:28

You just summed up my words there.

Yeah, I did not mean that as a separate argument, just that the argument that the new trilogy is all about effects is a shitty one, since the old one was also about effects. I know you did NOT make this argument, but the post wasn't against yours, rather addressing the general criticism of the NT.
Quote:

As all great adventure stories are. You have the protagonist, who goes on a journey, antagonist, a funny sidekick, a wise man advising and leading the antagonist, preferably the antagonist has some evil minions or an overlord or so; entangled with moments of love, friendship stories, family drama and so on and on.... Once read a really great article about it, it dissected it to the bone. Take LOTR or any other great adventure film, the plot line is pretty much similar.

LotR was pretty much the archetype of such adventure fantasy stories, so I'm not blaming that one . Still, many people praise Tolkien as a writer, and I don't agree with that. He was a linguist, which in this context means, he was great at creating a universe, and filling it with substance (languages, par example), but he was an average writer, imo. I do like LotR a lot, but this is still my opinion.

I totally get why people like good vs. evil fantasy adventure stories, because they are good fun, but by now I tend to prefer works, which involve moral relativism and works that generally have some deconstructive approach (hence my admiration of KOTOR II, which is probably the least black-and-white SW story ever). As I said I grew up on Babylon 5, and I tend to look for similiar qualities in books/films/series.
Quote:

I find it interesting that you know so many people, who hate the new trilogy. I honestly don't, most of the people I know and have watched it enjoyed it, but on a different level that OT. I don't really count the massive amount of trolls on the Internet liable for their opinion. But well, then again, some people do enjoy their comfort zone so much and want to hang on to the ''old is always better'' concept forever, so I can understand the bashing on one hand.

I always try to find the best in what's new, and so did I in the NT. The Phantom Menace was really mellow to me, with the exception of Qui-Gon Jinn as a character, but I found my enjoyment and depth of the story in Attack and Revenge.

It is mostly from the internet, but we are debating on the internet, aren't we? I know a couple of people iRL who think this way but yeah, this is mostly an internet phenomenon. I actually agree on TPM. The movie was fine, if a bit underwhelming, but Qui-gon is one of my favourite SW characters.
24.12.2014 - 14:58
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Uldreth on 24.12.2014 at 14:38

It is mostly from the internet, but we are debating on the internet, aren't we? I know a couple of people iRL who think this way but yeah, this is mostly an internet phenomenon.

OK, I hear you now.
----
02.01.2015 - 02:50
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
There are some critiques directed to the new trilogy (should we call them differently now since there is a new trilogy coming? lol ) which I understand, I can understand where they are coming from.

Red Letter Media made hilarious and destructive reviews of Episode I, II, III which I liked a lot, even though I love those films, talk about living contradiction from my part:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

But I guess everything and anything can be criticized and made fun off with a little intention and imagination.

About Natalie Portman doing a lousy work, AnGina. Portman is an great actress. I think she did her best regardless of how robotic some of her lines were:

Anakin Skywalker: You are so... beautiful.
Padmé: It's only because I'm so in love.
Anakin Skywalker: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
Padmé: So love has blinded you?
Anakin Skywalker: [laughs] Well, that's not exactly what I meant.
Padmé: But it's probably true.

George Lucas himself pointed out that he considered writing dialogue one of his weaknesses:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/GeorgeLucas
----
Christless
02.01.2015 - 19:10
ANGEL REAPER
Im just curious how the new movie will turn out to be.Anything better than Phantom Menace will work for me ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.01.2015 - 21:29
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Darth Satanious on 02.01.2015 at 02:50
About Natalie Portman doing a lousy work, AnGina. Portman is an great actress. I think she did her best regardless of how robotic some of her lines were:

Yes, Portman is a great actress, we're on the same page here, that is why I was so surprised seeing her so lifeless in the role of Princess Amidala. The lines were cheesy and Christensen was wooden head to toe, but that's no excuse.I even read in one of her interviews where she herself commented of how displeased she was taking that role and portraying it. So, it's not just me, Portman and I both agree that was not her finest moment.
----
05.01.2015 - 22:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by AnGina-- on 05.01.2015 at 21:29
So, it's not just me, Portman and I both agree that was not her finest moment.

She also said it almost killed her career as for a while after she struggled to find a decent project to work on with directors going out of their way to avoid her, and she ended up taking on roles she wasn't as interested in. I remember reading that in an interview and being surprised considering V for Vendetta was released right around the same time as Episode III, but after that I guess only the Boleyn movie was worth mentioning until she hit it big with Black Swan. There was some kind of connection with Aranofsky that led to her landing the lead role but I forget that backstory.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.01.2015 - 18:10
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2015 at 22:29
She also said it almost killed her career as for a while after she struggled to find a decent project to work on with directors going out of their way to avoid her, and she ended up taking on roles she wasn't as interested in.

Which came to my surprise, really, I considered Portman to be a great asset for the Star Wars back then and I was fully blown away when she stated that. But she managed to pull through, I imagine something like this could be a great breaking point from whether you either burn or rise.

Now it got me started thinking, where the hell has Ewan McGregor been lately?
----
06.01.2015 - 18:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by AnGina-- on 06.01.2015 at 18:10
Now it got me started thinking, where the hell has Ewan McGregor been lately?

The only movies he's been in "recently" that I've watched are I Love You Phillip Morris and The Men Who Stare At Goats, the latter of which I thought was great. According to his IMDB page he's been taking a lot of different roles and he's slated to be in quite a few upcoming movies as well but none of them appear to be anything significant. Last Days in the Desert could be interesting but really no Jesus story will ever outdo The Last Temptation of Christ.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.01.2015 - 19:38
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2015 at 18:29

but none of them appear to be anything significant.

That worries me.
----
22.02.2015 - 11:59
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Something I've always wondered about in the Star Wars franchise. If an organic creature is shot with an ion cannon, what happens?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
27.02.2015 - 21:54
ANGEL REAPER
Written by M C Vice on 22.02.2015 at 11:59

Something I've always wondered about in the Star Wars franchise. If an organic creature is shot with an ion cannon, what happens?

i think it just evaporates
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
23.04.2015 - 16:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Darth Satanious on 02.01.2015 at 02:50

There are some critiques directed to the new trilogy (should we call them differently now since there is a new trilogy coming? lol ) which I understand, I can understand where they are coming from.

Red Letter Media made hilarious and destructive reviews of Episode I, II, III which I liked a lot, even though I love those films, talk about living contradiction from my part:

I posted those five years and one page ago...

They are dead on. The second set of three movies sucked balls. no. they SCRAPED balls.

Everything good or compelling about 4-5-6 was removed for slick green screen graphics... the plot and story line were absolute jokes,character development as non-existent, aside from Annakin's "lightswitch off/lightswitch on" conversion to evil, where one scene he makes a spur of the moment rash decision and the next starts murdering children.

mercifully Lucas is nowhere near this one. while at one point a hungry director he became fat and lazy... and his writing just terrible.

the prequels were so fucking bad i have zero faith in the coming movies. most likely we'll have another flashy Transformers movie with lots of special effects that will leave those missing chromosomes drooling and clapping... but completely devoid of the story and character arcs that made the original movies resonate with a bunch of people who were born after the fact.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.04.2015 - 19:44
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
George Lucas' writing became terrible?

18.12.2015 - 16:15
nicaZe
Savatage
Did you people saw the new Star Wars?
18.12.2015 - 17:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by nicaZe on 18.12.2015 at 16:15

Did you people saw the new Star Wars?

Not now. But, people are going nuts on fb. They're checkin' from various movie halls.
18.12.2015 - 17:08
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.12.2015 at 17:05

When you people see the movie please let's make some discussion here because I'm also a big fan and I have someething to share with all of you and also want to hear your opinion
18.12.2015 - 17:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Whatever reviews I get of new SW movie, I'll post here. Also, I need to watch it soon.

Let me come back from business trip.
20.12.2015 - 13:09
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Spoiler alert! Darth Vader is Luke's father!

No seriously, I have of course watched SW Ep VII ASAP, yes, after all these years, I'm still a SW freak and it was the most anticipated film of this year for me.

I will be short & to the core right now, because I don't want to trash spoilers, we'll get to little details once this debate is up an running.

1. Visually the film is marvelous. Top notch there.
2. The film has great dynamics, it doesn't become boring at any given minute.
3. The story.... meh. Too much A New Hope #2. You can see it's designed so Ep VIII becomes Empire Strikes Back thingie #2. There were moments I wanted to kick Kylo Ren in the nuts and this comes as a surprise for me, since I've always been "team Dark Side". Adam Driver did a good job, but there were just moments when I was like "Kylo Ren, nooo!".
4. The cast = OK.
5. Harrison Ford is still awesome. Hans Solo & Chewie are still awesome.

and 6. The comic relief mostly came out of other people sitting in the cinema next to me, by saying: "That's Obi-Wan Kenobi!" (Nooo, Obi-Wan's dead you asshole) and "OMG I bet Yoda's going to come right now!" (And again I was like : Noooo, Yoda's dead too).
----
21.12.2015 - 11:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by AnGina-- on 20.12.2015 at 13:09

3. The story.... meh. Too much A New Hope #2. You can see it's designed so Ep VIII becomes Empire Strikes Back thingie #2. There were moments I wanted to kick Kylo Ren in the nuts and this comes as a surprise for me, since I've always been "team Dark Side". Adam Driver did a good job, but there were just moments when I was like "Kylo Ren, nooo!".

and 6. The comic relief mostly came out of other people sitting in the cinema next to me, by saying: "That's Obi-Wan Kenobi!" (Nooo, Obi-Wan's dead you asshole) and "OMG I bet Yoda's going to come right now!" (And again I was like : Noooo, Yoda's dead too).

6: They think the old guy at the start (Max Von Sydow, wasn't it?) was Obi-wan, did they?
3: Will ep 8 start with Rey being attacked by the abomidable snowman? (although I wouldn't mind if she cut the other arm of the wampa from Empire)
And Ren,swell, he's not exactly Vader, is he. Vader never chucked wobblys.

Anyone else think Han Solo was the Obi-wan character of this film? The old mentor to the young heros? And I think the new waste of money, sorry, superweapon, might be based of centerpoint station.
----
21.12.2015 - 20:06
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by M C Vice on 21.12.2015 at 11:54

6: They think the old guy at the start (Max Von Sydow, wasn't it?) was Obi-wan, did they?

Yepp. And as soon as three trees appeared in the scene, people asumed we're on Dagobah system and Yoda is set to come and kick some ass.

3: Will ep 8 start with Rey being attacked by the abomidable snowman? (although I wouldn't mind if she cut the other arm of the wampa from Empire)

Somebody will lose a hand soon, I'm sure of that. Hands off everybody!

Renny boy, he's kinda not even close to Vader. That was the biggest disappointment to me. I mean, you have the genes, do something with it. And I was so sad to know the last artefact of Vader was gone. I shed a tear seeing his helmet.

Anyone else think Han Solo was the Obi-wan character of this film? The old mentor to the young heros?

Hmmm, never though of it this way actually, but you do make a point here. To me Han Solo was still Han Solo - older, slower and wiser: cause he's seen sh#t.
----
22.12.2015 - 11:16
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by AnGina-- on 21.12.2015 at 20:06

Somebody will lose a hand soon, I'm sure of that. Hands off everybody!

Renny boy, he's kinda not even close to Vader. That was the biggest disappointment to me. I mean, you have the genes, do something with it. And I was so sad to know the last artefact of Vader was gone. I shed a tear seeing his helmet.

In one of the later books, Tenal Ka's subjects were trying to curry favour by loping their own arms off. "Look, you're Majesty. I've got 1 arm, too."

At least Vader took his anger out on his underlings. Not the expensive computer equipment.

Oh, did you spot Daniel Craig in the film? I didn't.
----
22.12.2015 - 11:18
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
----
22.12.2015 - 12:44