Enslaved
Satyricon
Mayhem
Gorgoroth
Carpathian Forest

Total votes: 275
16.07.2006 - 16:55
dark awakening
I like all these bands and many more in the Norwegian scene, but my fav is Immortal.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
16.07.2006 - 18:19
_HIV_
i voted darkthrone! but it was close with burzum and mayhem! all others are kinda shit
18.07.2006 - 00:00
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Really tough choice to make - Immortal, Burzum, Darkthrone and Gorgoroth - all 4 one of the best bm bands from Norway. But ill pick Darkthrone because it was one of the first bm band I heard and that introduced me to black metal and the ideas/visions behind it. Darkthrone always has this special and certain atmosphere - kinda cold but also powerful and dark.
18.07.2006 - 05:54
Lord Grim
Alright... The creator of this thread is going to make me go insane from trying to choose one of these bands... For me... It is one of the middle three... Fuck it, Emperor, they tickle my fancy most. lol
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."
20.07.2006 - 06:11
spirit_inblack
harshhead
All of these bands are great and I enjoy listening to every one of them. This truly is one of the hardest questions that I have faced, but I will give my vote to Darkthrone because they get me into black metal and they have the three classic albums A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Under A Funeral Moon, and Transilvanian Hunger. They defined the term raw production as well.
20.07.2006 - 06:32
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Ancient gets my vote even though they're not on there....they're so awesome...with songs like Huldradans and The Call Of The Abu Deep...they have killer riffs and pretty intense black metal music...they're a killer old school bm band...
28.07.2006 - 19:21
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
when i made this pool, I never though emperor to win lol. I though it was gonna be Immortal, darkthrone, burzum or mayhem, but looks like i was wrong
28.07.2006 - 19:57
Ruines
Account deleted
Yes it is indeed really sad.
30.07.2006 - 13:12
W-Lash
Metal Master
Empreror sucks and Mayhem too (ok, i know many of you like this band but there is nothing listenable for me). I'd say Enslaved (but it's not pure black), Darkthrone, Burzum or Carpathian Forest.
30.07.2006 - 14:23
Basso
Account deleted
Emperor is the greatest norweigan band, then burzum and mayhem (ofc in my own oppinion)
31.07.2006 - 17:54
Hyvaarin
Written by Hyvaarin on 10.07.2006 at 14:48

I'm pretty torn on this one between Darkthrone, Mayhem and Satyricon. Mayhem are by far the most evil band on that list (sure, Varg was a criminal, but the shit Mayhem did, along with their aesthetic, was pure evil), and have made some awesome black metal.

Darkthrone's music is just as good (if not better), but I think they lack the infamy necessary to make them winners of the Norwegian Black Metal War.

Judging by the few listens I've had of Dark Medieval Times, Satyricon are going to be one of my favourite BM bands. I'll hopefully be picking the album up this weekend, though .

Ok, having listened to 'Dark Medieval Times' really thoroughly, Satyricon are getting my vote. Even though their latest albums haven't been quite so good, that album is pure genius.

edit - Darkthrone in second, for me. And how the hell can Mayhem only have ONE vote?!
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
31.07.2006 - 22:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Did you vote for Mayhem?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.08.2006 - 00:34
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Hyvaarin on 31.07.2006 at 17:54

edit - Darkthrone in second, for me. And how the hell can Mayhem only have ONE vote?!

I think, because Mayhem we're not the most extreme. Please allow me to explain. When we look at the band sin the poll, we see this:

Gorgoroth: The one with probably the most 'image'. Clearly anti-christian, sort of a shocking band, so a band that really grabs attention.
Enslaved:Don't really know these guys, but they are also different from your 'grim and kvlt' black metal. So obviously they also get their votes.
Carpathian Forest: My personal favorite on the list. Also have a clearly different sound from the rest, so it is obvious they will get the votes from the 'Black and Roll'ers'.
Emperor:Who likes Sympho, will vote for these. Or Satyricon, perhaps.
Immortal:Black Metal with the slightly better production. Also Abbath has some unique vocals, if you ask me.
Burzum:Everyone more into the depressive side of BM will vote for Burzum.
Darkthrone:The most raw, early BM band. If you love raw BM, you'll most probably vote Gorgoroth or Darkthrone.

So, what I am trying to say is that Mayhem doesn't really stand-out between the other bands. They are not the most complex, not the most anti-christian, not the most rock 'n' roll, not the most raw, not the most depressive, not the most symphonic. So they are kinda in the middle. Don't get me wrong, I love Mayhem personally, I just voted for a band that has a more recongisable sound of it's 'own'. Hope that made sense.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.08.2006 - 00:49
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 01.08.2006 at 00:34

Written by Hyvaarin on 31.07.2006 at 17:54

So, what I am trying to say is that Mayhem doesn't really stand-out between the other bands. They are not the most complex, not the most anti-christian, not the most rock 'n' roll, not the most raw, not the most depressive, not the most symphonic. So they are kinda in the middle. Don't get me wrong, I love Mayhem personally, I just voted for a band that has a more recongisable sound of it's 'own'. Hope that made sense.

I agree with you, but I see things differently: Mayhem has a very original, almost non Norwegian BM sound (DMDS is a perfect example) by having a very diverse music. So, the other bands have music style, but Mayhem can not be categorized under just one sound. Plus, I hear Mayhem sounds in all of the other bands from the poll.

Enslaved is another thing, I didn't refere to them.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.08.2006 - 00:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yeah, that was also what I kinda meant. You just explained it better.

Because they are so influencial to all, every band has their Mayhem side to them. But because they also have another side, who the combination we love, they get more votes.

Maybe that explained it better. Ah well, if not, I can't be bothered.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.08.2006 - 05:30
Hyvaarin
That's an excellent explanation, Nervel. However I still think it's a shame that Mayhem, the most important band in establishing the early BM aesthetic, can be so unappreciated. Ahh well.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
01.08.2006 - 07:02
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Emperor... no doubt..hard to decide hard
06.08.2006 - 04:21
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
I can't vote, i really can't. All of them are so fucking awesome. The best out of these are: Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal, Emperor and Satyricon but Enslaved, Gorgoroth and Carpathian Forest last albums were killers and they are some of the best black metal bands............fuck it i can't decide!
16.11.2006 - 22:20
Mariela.
Account deleted
It's very hard, I like almoust every band at that list..But I've been listening lately most at Gorgoroth, so I guess I'm gonna vote for them..
18.11.2006 - 13:34
Sigyn
miaregine.com
I voted Immortal.. Immortal startet the whole Black Metal-thing for me several years ago I love the other bands (except Mayhem and Carpathian Forest and newer Satyricon)... but.. Immortal
----
www.miaregine.com

Delirium and Delight
18.11.2006 - 21:55
ASiema113
Emperor defiantly, you cannot thwart the wrath that is Night of the Graveless Souls.
Hail Emperor
----

Written by Author on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
23.11.2006 - 19:56
Jiri
OK, Emperor can not be beat. Immortal is a close second, but Emperor kicks ass!
24.11.2006 - 07:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Id definitly vote for mayhem if i was allowed to vote....but with immortal in second.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.11.2006 - 16:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
Out of those? Gorgoroth because of their fast and raw style or Satyricon because of their beautiful epic songs, but I haven't heard all bands so I wont vote
----
24.11.2006 - 17:05
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 24.11.2006 at 16:06

Out of those? Gorgoroth because of their fast and raw style or Satyricon because of their beautiful epic songs, but I haven't heard all bands so I wont vote

I highly reccommend you to hear all of them.
24.11.2006 - 17:58
Damnated
Churchburner
Am I the only one who thinks that Taake should be here aswell?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.11.2006 - 11:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does soemone remove my post?
I had posted in this treda and vote too wierd.

Ok I vote for Immortal because there are fiew BM bands from Norvay what I like and what I shood mentioned

Firts Immortal - all time my fav BM band realy great great
Then Early Emperor so amazing band
Ulver, Arturus are great too and Limbonic Art those bands are part of Norvegian BM scene amnd also I like Enslaved, but if someone say those bands isnit BM ...

I never had like Satyricon - exept first album, but Gorgoroth ehhh IMO and BTW Norvay export more satanic bands how other countries and realy Im into Geman BM scene also Italian and french.

Burzum ehh what Varg done well I dont listen so much Burzum, even I like it, but Darktrone, I never had liie this band like Mayhem, maybe fiew songs and albums.

But you forgot mention 1349 too, but I dont ,like them

Other bands from Norvay what I like are :

Grand Alchemist
Dimael Euphony(Early) - hahaha something familiar from stuff section
Gahena(early)
Iljdarn
Carpatian Forest
In The Woods... early albums
Zyclon-B Demo are in offival HP
Obtained Enslavement - I had lsitened ''Witchracft'' album
Sorgsvart
Windir
Dimmu Borgir(early)
Taake - Hahaha thank's to Taake14 I know this band
Troll - maybe not so much but something I like there
Walahia

Those are all Bm band from Norvay what I had mebtion and I know, but belive me thee are more and more, but I menation important and those what I lsietning.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.11.2006 - 13:34
Judas
The Amputator
Jeez, this is tough. These are some of my all-time favourite bands, and to pick just one of them is so difficult...

But since I have to, I think Enslaved will get my vote, just because they have not succumbed to any one labeling, and have continued pushing their own boundaries. The same could be said of Emperor, it is true, but they're not making new music any more. Immortal are probably the band that I listen to the most, but Enslaved really make me think about stuff, and I actually listen intently to their music. Enslaved are my pick of that lot!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
28.11.2006 - 06:01
AsgeirArnald
I like all of the bands on the list a lot, except for Mayhem who I do not like at all. But Immortal is by far my favorite.
28.11.2006 - 07:11
Edible Autopsy
Was a hard decision between Emperor, Gorgoroth, Mayhem and Burzum. But in the end Burzum got my vote.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death