Metal Storm logo
Rhapsody Of Fire

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 05.07.2006 - 19:28

Rhapsody...one of the cheesiest bands ever, hmm...maybe one of the best...each and every one of their albums contains epic choral arrangements, soaring vocals, mindblowing instrumentation, and of course, the quality that defines the band...the orchestra...unlike some bands, who have an orchestra just to hide the horrid quality of their music, Rhapsody uses it in a way to make you want to slay orcs and dragons, lol...yes I know...nowadays, the method of combining orchestras and choruses to power metal is almost standard...however, Rhapsody was one of the first to use it, and use it to its full potential...anyways, the orchestra rocks...makes it more epic...Rhapsody has been one of the biggest and most influential epic metal bands ever...climactic, epic songs full of adventure...and now, actor Christopher Lee (who plays Saruman in the Lord of the Rings movies) does most of the narrations for their albums...I find it really captivating, and exciting (and cheesy)...much neoclassical stylings on the guitar, and some absolutely crushing lines...of course, most of the songs go at 100 miles per hour, with doublebass and palm muted chords apounding, and the synths laying down a barrage of notes...as usual...however, they do have some great ballads...it doesnt matter...highly recommended (at least by me)...Rhapsody is one of the most unique bands of the power metal scene...so...welcome brother, to the world of power metal...a dangerous land filled with dragons, steel, magic, orcs, demons, wizards, and lots of cheese...power metal has some of the highest levels of cheese in any sort of music, but anyways...I think its great...and you should also check Luca Turilli's side project.

Fabio Lione (vocals)
Luca Turilli (guitar)
Alex Staropoli (keyboards)
Patrice Guers (bass)
Alex Holzwarth (drums)

if you dont know anything about Rhapsody, well, this video speaks for itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMeBTmiX4g Unholy Warcry

hail mighty Rhapsody
27.05.2009 - 07:42
Lord_Regnier
Written by Zelse on 27.05.2009 at 07:31

Still? Christ, they've been in this bind for over two years or something. They can't stay young forever, they need to get some recording done! Sigh. Even if their last couple of albums were fucking dull (Triumph was slightly better than Symphony II, imo, which was horrendously boring) I have a feeling their next album (whenever/if it ever comes out) will be awesome.

Some people, like me, doubt that the legal case is the only explanation for this long hiatus.
As they never post any update on their official forum and never answer to any question people who are worried for the band are asking, we can believe whatever we want and they can't blame us.
Honestly, some people think that the band could well be dead. And I'm one of them.
By the way, the lack of information started long before the legal case.

You can ask Black_Sheep and Narloth, they both are active members on Rhapsody's forum, like I was until a few months ago, but I left this forum. I haven't posted there in months, apart from a little series of posts during the last 2-3 days (I had a few things I wanted to say there). Now that it is done, I'll become silent there again. I'm familiar with Rhapsody's situation, I had over 3700 posts on their official forum.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.05.2009 - 07:51
Zelse
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.05.2009 at 07:42

Some people, like me, doubt that the legal case is the only explanation for this long hiatus.
As they never post any update on their official forum and never answer to any question people who are worried for the band are asking, we can believe whatever we want and they can't blame us.
Honestly, some people think that the band could well be dead. And I'm one of them.
By the way, the lack of information started long before the legal case.

I've thought that the band could possibly be done with, but I don't like to think that, especially since it's a band that has created some really fucking good music. The more I think about it, though, the more it seems likely, even though Turilli's wacky storytelling really isn't finished yet.

But we also haven't seen much of anything from Turilli's side projects, so you'd think if the band was finished, during all of this he'd have something going on in that camp.

But it's been a long time since I first noticed the lack of activity from the band, so yea, I missed that the legal action started after the silence.
27.05.2009 - 07:52
Zelse
Ahh, I see.

Well damn, doesn't sound very good, then...
27.05.2009 - 07:55
Lord_Regnier
Turilli is giving guitar lessons on the internet, apparently. Last time I checked his personal website, the last update dated from 2005 or 2006. I guess there must be a few new updates about his guitar courses but, if you check his website, you'll see there's a huge gap between them and the last one years ago.

Personally, I think something happened with this band between POTD and SOEL II. They changed too much (and went downhill musically).

EDIT: That's what people often say there: "I'll wait for the next album, if it ever comes out". They never receive any reply.
----
27.05.2009 - 08:05
Zelse
Just checked his website and the Rhapsody website + boards, yea... yikes. I agree with you about POTD and Symphony II, too.

Man. What a bummer...
27.05.2009 - 08:13
Lord_Regnier
I have the impression there's something abnormal, wrong, with this band since a very long time but I'm totally unable to put my finger on it.

The only hypothesis I could think of at the moment is the band could be dead but they don't make any official announcement because it would hurt cd sales (almost nobody would be interested in a dead band). I even dared to mention this thought almost as clearly as I tell you here and they didn't even react. It's just weird.

P.S. Keep in mind that what I'm saying here is only my personal thoughts and nothing is offical. I don't want to start rumors. Like I said, when there is a complete lack of information, we can believe whatever we want. The only truth is no one knows the truth because they leave people in the fog, saying that whatever they say can be used against them in the legal case. It might be true but it also makes a convenient excuse to not give any update to fans, if you don't want to keep them informed anyway, exactly like they did before the legal case occurred.
----
27.05.2009 - 08:37
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I think nothing will stop Luca from making music, yes, maybe there are more problems within the band, beneath the surface maybe there is a struggle between this guys, but I think that's quite difficult in that case, they are well, how to say this, well, cool guys, also in their site there are announcemets promoting Alex Holzwarth and his brother as session musicians and other stuff. Patrice Guers is working with Dominique on his other band, Inner Visions. So I think that there are no problems coming from this guys.

But the problem is, well, Fabio is with Vision Divine, what will happen if Rhapsody returns to the scene? Will he leave VD and return to ROF? Or he will work with both bands mmm. And what about Alex Staropoli? I don't know anything about him since a long time ago.

And well about Luca, nothing is going to stop this man, he IS the man, and working on his solo projects, or with ROF or giving guitar classes, believe me, nothing is going to stop them.

Also I don't see the last too albums as letdowns, for me, those are more mature works made by a band who has achieved different sounds with each album, I remember when I first listened to SOEL II, I had that album on my cd walkman like four months in a row, what a great album, and TOA, well I still listen it when I am in good mood, MS has a good review for that album, check it, those are kinda my thoughts about the album.

Whatever happens, this band will be my favorite of all times

Edit: Still I hate Joey Di Maio... That freak!!!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
27.05.2009 - 09:09
Lord_Regnier
To summarize the current situation, as far as I know it:

- Luca Turilli is apparently giving guitar lessons on the internet, with the collaboration of Tom Hess (from Holyhell).

- Patrice Gers and Dominique Leurquin are playing in Inner Visions and giving lessons.

- Alex Holzwarth is giving drums lessons.

- Fabio Lione has returned to Vision Divine. He also has his cover band. And, if I remember, he's also active in an other band. This, I find weird. I'm not sure Fabio is still in Rhapsody, even if no official announcement has been made. I mentioned this thought on Rhapsody's forum too. As usual, no answer.

- Alex Staropoli: apparently no one knows what he's doing at the moment. The question has been asked on Rhapsody's forum, of course with no answer, like it's the norm there. And I find this even more weird than in Fabio's case. Remember that I mentioned I had the impression there's a serious problem with this band? This total silence on anything that concerns Staropoli could well hide something. Or maybe not at all.

@Daggon: I have no intention to debate over Rhapsody's albums. For me, their first 5 albums were good. SOEL II was quite average and TOA sucks. Period. Nothing people can say will ever change my opinion on the matter. When it comes to metal, the word 'mature' used to describe an album usually rhymes with 'boring'. Often, when a new album cruelly lacks energy, people describe it as 'mature', which is something I find ironic.
I hate DeMaio too. However, as strange as it can look, I wouldn't blame him for the shit Rhapsody are into presently. They only had to think about it twice before signing a contract with him. Everyone who uses his common sense won't sign a contract with DeMaio because we all know he's a despicable asshole who cannot be trusted. DeMaio haven't suddenly started to act like an asshole a few years ago, he's always been a disgustingly arrogant douchebag full of shit.
----
27.05.2009 - 09:17
Eeric
Account deleted
TOA was quite unispiring, but those two new songs which are at live dvd makes me hope that they could make new album someday
27.05.2009 - 09:24
Zelse
Really interesting stuff.. I just can't wait until something gives way and light is shed on all of this.

Should at least make for an interesting biography for the band... heh.
27.05.2009 - 10:26
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
@Lord_Reginer: Yeah, the reason I never suscribed to ROF forum is because they never answer questions, so it is kind of boring. I suscribed to Luca Turilli's forum but same story there. And for the albums, I was just giving my opinion, not trying to change yours, still I enjoy a lot their last 2 efforts when I say mature, I'm talking that Luca and his gang achieved that soundtrack sound they have always wanted, and for me that is a great thing, I see the last album more like a symphonic ambient album, not like a power one. But well, again different opinions.

And yes DeMaio has always been a disgustingly arrogant douchebag full of shit, wise words my friend, but somehow, they ended signing a contract with him. That freak...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
27.05.2009 - 15:16
Lord_Regnier
Written by Daggon on 27.05.2009 at 10:26

I see the last album more like a symphonic ambient album, not like a power one. But well, again different opinions.

Our appreciation of the album differs completely but I totally agree with what you're saying here.
TOA is indeed a symphonic and ambient album, not a PM one.

That's why I dislike it so much and have never been able to listen to it from beginning to end in one shot. I find it extremely lacking in the metal department, so much I don't consider it as a PM album.
Boring and generic guitars, ultra mediocre drums, whiny vocals, all overladen by cheesy bombastic pompous shit. I like symphonic and classical music. And I'm a big Summoning fan (symphonic/ambient Tolkien-related Black Metal). The difference is I can take Summoning seriously, it really gives me a lot of emotions to listen to their music. But I can't take TOA seriously, it's way too much of a cliché cheesefest. The only feeling I have while listening to TOA is boredom, boredom, and boredom again. I can stand a certain level of cheesiness without any problem. For example, I don't find Rhapsody's stuff until POTD too cheesy. The cheesiness never bugged me on these albums. But when it's so cheesy it becomes laughable, like on SOEL II or TOA, it's different. It's kinda like Bal-Sagoth. BS can appear brilliant at first but as soon as you check more songs and get the general picture, you quickly realize it's nothing more than laughable cheese.
On their Limb albums, Rhapsody was a Powermetal band with symphonic elements. Problem I have with them now, is the balance has shifted on the other side and they're a symphonic band now, with very little metal left. Rhapsody are quite mediocre from a PM point of view since SOEL II.

EDIT: I forgot to mention a detail concerning TOA. Way too many fucking ballads and slow songs.
And please get rid of the neverending citations that constantly destroy the pace of songs.
----
27.05.2009 - 16:17
Lord_Regnier
Written by Guest on 27.09.2006 at 06:53

Written by Baz Anderson on 26.09.2006 at 20:48

yes 'Old Age Of Wonders' was a nice surprise too
i really enjoyed that too, its probably my second favorite on the album

I agree, that 's very nice and beautiful. And it reminds me of 'Forest Of Unicorns'

Of course, it reminds you of Forest Of Unicorns. Dragonland Rivers and Old Age Of Wonders are Forest Of Unicorns' rip-offs.
----
28.05.2009 - 06:12
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.05.2009 at 16:17

Of course, it reminds you of Forest Of Unicorns. Dragonland Rivers and Old Age Of Wonders are Forest Of Unicorns' rip-offs.

Agreed hahaha, but still a nice song, well, Rhapsody does this kind of things a lot.

And I got your point, yup, their cheesiness has no boundaries, hahaha but maybe I'm kinda biased, cuz, Rhapsody was the very first metal band which I liked a lot, and still I love their music, so for me, everything that they do is like an other dose of my favorite drug, so maybe I'm not the best person to make constructive criticism for this band, hehe I worship them so, well, I can see the badd things about their music, but I prefer to check the good points still available. For example their bonus tracks, singles and EP's have really great songs worth of checking. Again, different opinions, but I understand what you are talking about.
----
01.06.2009 - 21:42
Italics
The Magic of the Wizard's Dream (video version with Lee as guest vocalist) = Best Rhapsody song ever
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
08.06.2009 - 04:08
Wyrd
I loved SOEL II, TOA was a waste of my time , but SOEL II was very good!!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
08.06.2009 - 07:38
His Eminence
Account deleted
I didn't like Triumph or Agony either. Compared to the rest of the albums, TOA is boring and uninspired, a watered down version of what Rhapsody is (or was, maybe?) capable of. I only hope they get a chance to make a new album so they can redeem themselves.
08.06.2009 - 19:29
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 08.06.2009 at 07:38

I didn't like Triumph or Agony either. Compared to the rest of the albums, TOA is boring and uninspired, a watered down version of what Rhapsody is (or was, maybe?) capable of. I only hope they get a chance to make a new album so they can redeem themselves.

I realised that it isn't as bad as I thought first. It's their weakest album though
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
08.06.2009 - 20:21
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 08.06.2009 at 19:29

I realised that it isn't as bad as I thought first. It's their weakest album though

I haven't listened to it more than once or twice, and that was a while ago. Maybe I'll give it another chance and form a new opinion. But yeah, I do agree it was their weakest album.

What do you think of Legendary Tales? I think it's quite good, even though the production isn't too great.
08.06.2009 - 21:10
Zelse
Legendary Tales RULES. Warrior of Ice, Rage of the Winter, Flames of Revenge, Land of Immortals, Lord of the Thunder... fuck yea!
08.06.2009 - 21:17
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 08.06.2009 at 20:21

Written by Janne on 08.06.2009 at 19:29

I haven't listened to it more than once or twice, and that was a while ago. Maybe I'll give it another chance and form a new opinion. But yeah, I do agree it was their weakest album.

What do you think of Legendary Tales? I think it's quite good, even though the production isn't too great.

Yeah, there are great songs in Legandary Tales but the production isn't the best as you said. :/
My favourite Rhapsody album is Dawn Of Victory. That album is one of my top 10 albums of all time!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
08.06.2009 - 21:38
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 08.06.2009 at 21:17

Yeah, there are great songs in Legandary Tales but the production isn't the best as you said. :/
My favourite Rhapsody album is Dawn Of Victory. That album is one of my top 10 albums of all time!

Dawn of Victory is really great. Holy Thunderforce and Dargor, Shadowlord of the Black Mountain are some of my fav tracks of it. The Rain of a Thousand Flames EP is really good too. The title track and Queen of the Dark Horizons are the best of the EP.
08.06.2009 - 22:11
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 08.06.2009 at 21:38

Dawn of Victory is really great. Holy Thunderforce and Dargor, Shadowlord of the Black Mountain are some of my fav tracks of it. The Rain of a Thousand Flames EP is really good too. The title track and Queen of the Dark Horizons are the best of the EP.

After 2000 their style changed a bit, especially the keyboards. They are still great but I liked their old stuff more.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
08.06.2009 - 22:40
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 08.06.2009 at 22:11

Written by Guest on 08.06.2009 at 21:38

After 2000 their style changed a bit, especially the keyboards. They are still great but I liked their old stuff more.

Yeah, I agree with you there. They hit their peak with Dawn of Victory.
09.06.2009 - 01:32
Zelse
I think Dawn of Victory is their best too, yea, followed by POTD. Brilliant albums, I'd kill for them to return to those kinds of songs.
09.06.2009 - 20:14
Janne
Hugin
Written by Zelse on 09.06.2009 at 01:32

I think Dawn of Victory is their best too, yea, followed by POTD. Brilliant albums, I'd kill for them to return to those kinds of songs.

I think POTD is a bit overrated. Many people say it's their best. For me it's just the 3rd best album behind Symphony Of Enchanted Lands and Dawn Of Victory.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
09.06.2009 - 20:22
Zelse
Written by Janne on 09.06.2009 at 20:14

I think POTD is a bit overrated. Many people say it's their best. For me it's just the 3rd best album behind Symphony Of Enchanted Lands and Dawn Of Victory.

Symphony of Enchanted Lands is right behind those two for me, just because I don't like every song on the album like I do with PotD and DoV. But it does have some of their best songs, in my opinion - Emerald Sword, Wisdom of the Kings, Eternal Glory... hell yea.
09.06.2009 - 20:26
Janne
Hugin
Written by Zelse on 09.06.2009 at 20:22

Written by Janne on 09.06.2009 at 20:14

Symphony of Enchanted Lands is right behind those two for me, just because I don't like every song on the album like I do with PotD and DoV. But it does have some of their best songs, in my opinion - Emerald Sword, Wisdom of the Kings, Eternal Glory... hell yea.

Indeed. These 3 songs are awesome! There is no such outstanding songs on POTD like these. I agree that there are some weaker songs on SOEL.. but I still like it more
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
10.06.2009 - 16:30
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
Erian's Mystical Rhymes is their best masterpiece, in my opinion.
24.07.2009 - 09:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well, overall Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II isnt band and i like to listen to it too...but i would say it moved a bit different way than the "finale" of Emerald Sword saga and whats worse - Triumph Or Agony is really bad album (for Rhapsody) and it destroys it all
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep