Metal Storm logo
Hypocrisy

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 06.07.2006 - 03:03
If there is ONE band that had been inportant for me in my Metal life, it's Hypocrisy.

I think Peter Tägtgren is the most creative Metal musician, and their self-titled album is the best stuff ever written in Extreme Metal... there's not other album even similar to it, and it's the perfect mix between thrill, horror, sadness and aggression...

I was introduced to this band through Abducted, the album with which they began to straight-forward experiment, creating a very unique sound and with all those imaginery based in aliens and unknown shit in general, which is pretty well done and it's very scary... then I passed to "Into The Abyss", that actually is one of my least favourite Hypocrisy albums because there's like no change between many songs, but it still has two of my all times favourite songs by the band: "Blinded" and specially the extraordinary, epic and blood-chilling "Fire In The Sky"

Right now I'm obsessed by almost every single album they had made, from the brutal Death beginnings with Masse Bromberg on the vocals to the kind of Gothemburg sound of "Virus"...

what more can I say??? this band is just... over-the-top
07.03.2008 - 03:20
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by NOИ on 05.03.2008 at 22:06

their image and music are nothing special, but their lyrics maybe...

Well, if you don't like the music much I guess that's just personal taste... But, for me Hypocrisy is the death metal band that brought me back to extreme music in so many ways. I'd long since forsaken so much death metal (of the US variety) in the 90s, because that's all I really heard here in the US (no internet access back then, or band website really anyway). But their intelligent use of lyrics mixed with the brooding melodies and genuine emotion showed me that death metal can be as equally introspective and societally aware as any other form of metal.

I'm not saying that they were the first band doing things, but without them I may have continued to disregard many bands afterward. It takes a unique talent to evoke emotions with your lyrics via the music written. A great lyricist does not a great songwriter make - and I don't think I'd care much about Hypocrisy if it weren't for the way the melodies give the lyrics the foundation they needed.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
07.03.2008 - 08:40
NOИ
Written by Jason W. on 07.03.2008 at 03:20

Written by NOИ on 05.03.2008 at 22:06

their image and music are nothing special, but their lyrics maybe...

Well, if you don't like the music much I guess that's just personal taste... But, for me Hypocrisy is the death metal band that brought me back to extreme music in so many ways. I'd long since forsaken so much death metal (of the US variety) in the 90s, because that's all I really heard here in the US (no internet access back then, or band website really anyway). But their intelligent use of lyrics mixed with the brooding melodies and genuine emotion showed me that death metal can be as equally introspective and societally aware as any other form of metal.

I'm not saying that they were the first band doing things, but without them I may have continued to disregard many bands afterward. It takes a unique talent to evoke emotions with your lyrics via the music written. A great lyricist does not a great songwriter make - and I don't think I'd care much about Hypocrisy if it weren't for the way the melodies give the lyrics the foundation they needed.

I can understand you and I respect your opinion
but for me they are another melo-death metal band with smart lyrics. and I'm already bored of death metal music too... if I want to hear something with this sound, Soilwork are my choice, even if they are more melodic...
17.04.2008 - 14:19
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
come on man....Soilwork, really? At least listen to a good Melo-death band like DArk Tranquillity.
----
Coldgrits
17.04.2008 - 20:06
Hamird
Lieutenant
Soilwork is one my favorite bands, but they never can be as powerful as Hypocrisy.. Hypocrisy is a legend in Death metal, which is compared Dark Tranqillity, Amon Amarth, and some legendary bands like these, not Soilwork.... Specially when you want something Special.
03.11.2008 - 10:20
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
I am reviving the Hypocrisy thread. This is my favorite band ever and probably will stay that way for a long time. BUT when the fuck are they releasing a new album? It's now almost 3 years.
03.11.2008 - 11:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
True true.

Is the re-release of Catch 22 any good?
03.11.2008 - 14:24
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.11.2008 at 10:20

I am reviving the Hypocrisy thread. This is my favorite ever and probably will stay that way for a long time. BUT when the fuck are they releasing a new album? It's now almost 3 years.

I was wondering the same thing dude....Im BURNING to hear new material from these guys. Absolutely loved "Virus" its fantastic. This Catch22 V2 is a bit of a waste if you ask me, probably released it to buy some time for themselves in writing new material lol From what I last heard Tagtgren said new release early 2009...but that was a while ago.
03.11.2008 - 17:51
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 03.11.2008 at 14:24

I am reviving the Hypocrisy thread. This is my favorite ever and probably will stay that way for a long time. BUT when the fuck are they releasing a new album? It's now almost 3 years.

I was wondering the same thing dude....Im BURNING to hear new material from these guys. Absolutely loved "Virus" its fantastic. This Catch22 V2 is a bit of a waste if you ask me, probably released it to buy some time for themselves in writing new material lol From what I last heard Tagtgren said new release early 2009...but that was a while ago.

I consider this gap between Virus and the next studio album as a point.. These days mr. Tagtgren is busy with Pain, which is totally different from Hypocrisy.. So he is testing and making new music! But making Pain was a wise act by him, becauseif he wanted to mix these musics in Hypocrisy it would hurt purity of Hypocrisy's music.. As you know Hypocrisy always release original melodic death metal albums.. So be patient, I'm also waiting for the new album, but I prefer to wait and after some years listen to pure music of Hypocrisy..
03.11.2008 - 18:56
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Hamird on 03.11.2008 at 17:51

I consider this gap between Virus and the next studio album as a point.. These days mr. Tagtgren is busy with Pain, which is totally different from Hypocrisy.. So he is testing and making new music! But making Pain was a wise act by him, becauseif he wanted to mix these musics in Hypocrisy it would hurt purity of Hypocrisy's music.. As you know Hypocrisy always release original melodic death metal albums.. So be patient, I'm also waiting for the new album, but I prefer to wait and after some years listen to pure music of Hypocrisy..

a very good point. I love what hypocrisy turned their sound into for Virus. I'd hate it to be tarnished by Pain influences. I just want straight Death Metal/Melodic Death Metal that's uniquely Hypocrisy.
----
Coldgrits
03.11.2008 - 19:28
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 03.11.2008 at 17:51

God, I hope your right. With these 3 years he must a lot of aggression in his creative mind. I really wanna see what comes up with in the next Hypocrisy album. And @ !J.O.O.E.!, The re-release of Catch 22 is not so good. I only like one song from the entire album.
03.11.2008 - 20:17
Hamird
Lieutenant
Catch 22 is Peter Tagtgren's favorite album!

My favorite album of Hypocrisy is The Final Chapter; almost the best Death Metal album I have ever listened.
04.11.2008 - 00:31
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 03.11.2008 at 20:17

Catch 22 is Peter Tagtgren's favorite album!

My favorite album of Hypocrisy is The Final Chapter; almost the best Death Metal album I have ever listened.

Final Chapter is one of my favorite Hypocrisy albums. IMO not the best though.
04.11.2008 - 04:55
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Final Chapter is also one of my favorites. But ya its not their best. I also like Abducted but I never hear about it much.
----
Coldgrits
04.11.2008 - 05:55
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Hmm, i may have overlooked this band a few times. Maybe it's time i pay attention and see what's to give, who knows. I'll comment on what i've heard later on.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
04.11.2008 - 17:30
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Written by Visioneerie on 04.11.2008 at 05:55

Hmm, i may have overlooked this band a few times. Maybe it's time i pay attention and see what's to give, who knows. I'll comment on what i've heard later on.

Don't expect really complicated riffs like the technical death bands, but the music is compsed so professionally. And don't think this is typical Melodic Death Metal like In Flames or anything. They're probably the best Melodic Death Metal I have ever listened to.

EDIT: AND WOOT! I just noticed I got to 100 posts! Does this mean I can post threads now?
04.11.2008 - 20:16
Until the End
This Catch22 V2 is a bit of a waste if you ask me...

Not exactly, the new version actually sounds good unlike the original. I can actually listen to v2 from beginning to end without cringing unlike with the 2002 release. It increased Catch 22 from being the worst Hypocrisy album to about 5th or 6th best for me. Not a waste, imo.
05.11.2008 - 08:43
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Until the End on 04.11.2008 at 20:16

This Catch22 V2 is a bit of a waste if you ask me...

Not exactly, the new version actually sounds good unlike the original. I can actually listen to v2 from beginning to end without cringing unlike with the 2002 release. It increased Catch 22 from being the worst Hypocrisy album to about 5th or 6th best for me. Not a waste, imo.

good to know, but is it really worth getting if you've already bought the original version?
----
Coldgrits
05.11.2008 - 09:18
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
It is much improved and no doubt better, but I honestly still think it shouldn't have been released.
05.11.2008 - 18:53
Until the End
Written by -DC-002- on 05.11.2008 at 08:43
good to know, but is it really worth getting if you've already bought the original version?

I believe so, it's almost like they've released a brand new album, in my opinion. It's excellent. To me it sounds like they put quite a lot of effort in to the (re)recording process and they've produced a gem from an uncut stone.

Even "Destroyed" and "A Public Puppet" sound pretty good and I thought I'd never like them. The originals sounded like utter poo.
06.11.2008 - 05:10
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Until the End on 05.11.2008 at 18:53

Written by -DC-002- on 05.11.2008 at 08:43

I believe so, it's almost like they've released a brand new album, in my opinion. It's excellent. To me it sounds like they put quite a lot of effort in to the (re)recording process and they've produced a gem from an uncut stone.

Even "Destroyed" and "A Public Puppet" sound pretty good and I thought I'd never like them. The originals sounded like utter poo.

thank you, that sounds good enough for me. I didn't hate catch 22 I just only found 1 or 2 songs that were at all appealing and good. I may not want to spend the $15 or so to get it though. If I find it cheap I will for sure.
----
Coldgrits
07.11.2008 - 07:22
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Well i gave a listen to their album 'Abducted' the other day and although i can say it's good music, i can't fully get into it ... at least not yet. I'm a big death metal fan and i'm used to bone crushing, complex music and Hypocrisy is a little different from that. Yes, there's some agressive songs off that album but the slow balads i find are too repetitive and simplistic for my taste. I know, alot of feeling is put into the music. I like some of the songs though.
This is a band that may grow on me, i don't know, any album recs from them ?

EDIT : I'm already liking 'Abducted' more now that i'm listening to it again. heh.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
07.11.2008 - 10:22
Sunioj
Written by Visioneerie on 07.11.2008 at 07:22

Well i gave a listen to their album 'Abducted' the other day and although i can say it's good music, i can't fully get into it ... at least not yet. I'm a big death metal fan and i'm used to bone crushing, complex music and Hypocrisy is a little different from that. Yes, there's some agressive songs off that album but the slow balads i find are too repetitive and simplistic for my taste. I know, alot of feeling is put into the music. I like some of the songs though.

EDIT : I'm already liking 'Abducted' more now that i'm listening to it again. heh.

I don't think Abducted really does justice to the quality of some of Hypocrisys albums though. Not to say that their other stuff IS bonecrushing relative to some bands we could mention, but they are considerably heavier. I mean, the first two albums are pretty straightforward DM, but nothing to really rave about. So, I would actually recommend hearing 'The Final Chapter', Self Titled, 'Virus' or 'The Arrival'.
08.11.2008 - 15:33
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 07.11.2008 at 10:22

I don't think Abducted really does justice to the quality of some of Hypocrisys albums though. Not to say that their other stuff IS bonecrushing relative to some bands we could mention, but they are considerably heavier. I mean, the first two albums are pretty straightforward DM, but nothing to really rave about. So, I would actually recommend hearing 'The Final Chapter', Self Titled, 'Virus' or 'The Arrival'.

Yeah, Im also not a great fan of their earlier works but especially the latter 2 albums, "The Arrival" and "Virus" are seriously good. I still listen to them both on a regular basis and dont get bored. Super albums
09.11.2008 - 17:11
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Guest on 08.11.2008 at 15:33

Written by Sunioj on 07.11.2008 at 10:22

Yeah, Im also not a great fan of their earlier works but especially the latter 2 albums, "The Arrival" and "Virus" are seriously good. I still listen to them both on a regular basis and dont get bored. Super albums

I like The Arrival a lot as well. The only problem I have with it though is that I find it to lack a lot of depth sometimes at curtain spots. The songs are VERY catchy though and are very fun to listen to. Virus is a killer album though and its still one of the best Death Metal/Melodic Death Metal releases of the last couple of years for me.

On another note. what would people like to hear from the next album? do you want it to hold the progressive qualities of their self titled release? or do you want it to be like virus and be a straight (but amazing) Death Metal album?
----
Coldgrits
09.11.2008 - 23:00
Sunioj
Written by -DC-002- on 09.11.2008 at 17:11

On another note. what would people like to hear from the next album? do you want it to hold the progressive qualities of their self titled release? or do you want it to be like virus and be a straight (but amazing) Death Metal album?

I would like it to be in the vein of Virus, yet. That album sounded pretty raw at times, at least more imo than their previous (more melodic) albums.
10.11.2008 - 03:00
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 09.11.2008 at 23:00

Written by -DC-002- on 09.11.2008 at 17:11

I would like it to be in the vein of Virus, yet. That album sounded pretty raw at times, at least more imo than their previous (more melodic) albums.

Give me Virus V2 anyday....absolutely fantastic album, and if they dont stray too much from the approach they took with that album, then I will be a very happy chappy
10.11.2008 - 23:48
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Oh god, I can only imagin what Peter will come up with next Hypocrisy.
24.12.2008 - 21:08
Khaldi
Is anybody know where can i download Hypocrisy's "The Abyss" clip in high quality ??

i see it in youtube and i like it , it fucking good . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCslJGPgIk
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
11.01.2009 - 05:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Catch 22 V2.0.08 is streaming in high quality on YouTube if anyone is interested.
11.01.2009 - 14:19
Sunioj
Written by Dangerboner on 11.01.2009 at 05:37

Catch 22 V2.0.08 is streaming in high quality on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Heard 'Destroyed' and 'On the edge of madness', doesn't actually sound that much better than the originals. In actuality, I think 'On the edge of madness' is an excellent song and I prefer the old one as well.

Seems like quite a pointless endeavor to me. But if re-recording it is in demand then I can imagine people wanting the newer version.