Metal Storm logo
Oh no, not another "suggestion" thread, but I want Prog Metal!

Original post

Posted by tea[m]ster, 31.12.2009 - 17:33
Being 37 years old and a huge fan of Prog Metal I can honestly say MetalStorm has been the best internet find I've ever made; I would have never discovered bands like Riverside, Agalloch, Disillusion, Dark Suns, Oceans of Sadness and Enochian Theory without MetalStorm's content and its members! So I ask you all, jot down some must-hear prog-metal and the like.
20.03.2011 - 23:11
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 20.03.2011 at 22:53

Written by [user id=107773] on 20.03.2011 at 21:24

So as not to make ANOTHER recommendation thread: I'm looking to build up a prog collection and have been listening to a few bands here and there, but nothing has really 'clicked', therefore prompting me to seek out bands of a similar sound. Prog bands that I already like a lot are Vintersorg, Symphony X and Pagan's Mind and bands that I kinda enjoy are Opeth and Evergrey. But what I really want to hear is some kinda of fantasy/mythology/science fictional prog metal...so like Symphony X and Pagan's Mind basically

Anubis Gate - Andromeda Unchained

Shadow Gallery - Room V

Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars

Shaman - Ritual

Abydos - The Little Boy's Heavy Mental Shadow Opera About The Inhabitants Of His Diary

Ark - Burn The Sun

Threshold - Critical Mass

Beyond Twilight - Section X

Shaolin Death Squad - Five Deadly Venoms

Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast

Thanks for the suggestions! Will listen to 'em all in the next week
21.03.2011 - 21:37
Iriki
No Ayeron in the List? What a Shame.
21.03.2011 - 21:40
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Iriki on 21.03.2011 at 21:37

No Ayeron in the List? What a Shame.

What list? I didn't suggest Ayreon because I already saw he had listened to them in his album votes...
21.03.2011 - 22:21
Iriki
Indeed, you're right, sry.
22.03.2011 - 01:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I've been dabbling in "prog-rock" land recently. Check out these bands if you want something "easier":

I.Q.
Satellite
Spock's Beard

They are all pretty similar but for some reason I am hooked!
----
rekt
23.03.2011 - 06:44
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
While we're on the subject of prog-rock, some others similar to those are:

Arena
Pallas
Pendragon
Magenta
Marillion
Fish
The Flower Kings
Transatlantic
Phideaux

Those bands tend to be classified as 'Neo-prog', as opposed to the classic prog like King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd etc.
23.03.2011 - 20:20
Aeonian_Lich
Except for Transatlantic and Phideaux. The first is prog rock, and Phideaux is crossover prog. But yes these are good recommendations. I wanna add Collage's album Moonshine, and as I've mentioned, Magic Pie (all 3 albums are great).

As for traditional prog metal, Ice Age - The Great Divide is a mindblowingly awesome gem that's been overlooked. Try it!
25.03.2011 - 02:40
thehondo
Yes!! I think I finally found some prog heads who get me! Ok,this is just what Ive come up with in the last year that hasnt already been mentioned; 7 Days,Age Of Nemesis, Anthriel, Appearance Of Nothing, Above Symmetry(formerly Aspera), Astra, Division By Zero, Echoes, Hourglass, Lanfear, Mindkey,Mullmuzzler, Prymary, Red Circuit, Silent Call, Silent Memorial, Spheric Universe Experience, Star One, and Triosphere. I'll always be looking for cutting edge new prog metal. Hope I helped.
----
No time like the present
25.03.2011 - 04:33
Written by thehondo on 25.03.2011 at 02:40

7 Days, Anthriel, Echoes, Hourglass, Spheric Universe Experience

7 Days sounded good, but Darkwater and Harmony just keep making each other sound the same...Darkwater was great, though.

Anthriel just didn't sound that interesting...not that prog, sounds fairly generic.

Echoes has a whole thread and absolutely wins...

Hourglass...ugh. How a band can write 10 songs with 140 minutes of total running time and all sorts of instrumental ideas, with four years of writing to check over it all, can make almost none of them gel and come up with one of the worst production jobs ever heard on a prog album. The drums sound like Keith Olberman typing on a keyboard - they're that flat.

Spheric Universe Experience has the pwnage factor down pat. Rarely do prog bands just bust out and coup de derriere.

Another suggestion of my own:

Twinspirits: Very melodic, accessible prog with lots of interesting combinations of themes on top of each other, and a focus on big riffs, unusual keyboards and one of the best singers that has come along in the last several years. Album two is completely owning me right now, while recently released album three could be among the best of 2011.
25.03.2011 - 11:58
Ivor
Staff
If anyone's interested in new stuff, then Thence is the way to go. Their debut album aims high with a single song. Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness comes to mind. Not as heavy, though, sometimes a bit ambient. Maybe less polished too than GC. But so far one very good release from the running year.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
07.08.2011 - 19:58
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Arch/Matheos album moving along nicely...

www.fateswarning.com
----
rekt
15.09.2011 - 15:00
artimus
SPECTRAL INCURSION

http://www.numberonemusic.com/spectralincursion/
16.09.2011 - 00:44
kaspair
Seventh Wonder, and especially their album "Mercy Falls". Their latest album is great as well, it even features a 30 minutes long track.
----
Last FM
20.09.2011 - 12:49
Moose
Best prog related band I''ve discovered lately is 'Spires'. They're a young band from the UK, labelled progressive death metal, but there's really not too much death metal about them.
Think along the lines of Opeth's Watershed.
Can not stop listening to their latest album (perhaps their only full-length album to date) "Spiral of Ascension".
25.09.2011 - 17:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Good time to be a "prog head": New material from, among others...

Redemption
Haken
Pagans Minds
Symphony X
Arch/Matheos
Riverside
Enochian Theory
Subsignal
Opeth
Dream Theater
Anubis Gate
----
rekt
04.10.2011 - 09:46
Garth Vader
I didn't see Magellan listed anywhere... "Impending Ascension" and "Test of Wills" were great.
Aspera - Ripples
Seventh Wonder
OSI
Shadow Gallery
Threshold
Platypus
King's X (one of my all time favs)
Saga
Spock's Beard
Voyager
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
04.10.2011 - 16:46
baldur
Yeah OSI´s selftitled is pretty good
07.10.2011 - 13:23
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by kaspair on 16.09.2011 at 00:44

Seventh Wonder, and especially their album "Mercy Falls". Their latest album is great as well, it even features a 30 minutes long track.

Joining this suggestion, as I think it will appeal to fans of all sorts of prog. And, yeah, you've named all the other bands well too on this page, though I must add Wolverine's latest two, for some awesome emotional prog (think between Pain Of Salvation and old DT) as well as Nightingale for some gothic/prog rock from the mind of Dan Swano.
----
7.0 means the album is good
24.02.2012 - 03:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by [user id=35732] on 23.02.2012 at 02:22

Written by jemekroz on 23.02.2012 at 02:19

Thanks!

Thank you too for stopping posting this same thing for the hundredth time.

Array, did I miss something?
----
rekt
28.02.2012 - 04:41
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Sylvan have been around for a while. A german neo-prog/progessive band, they just released their 4th studio album. It sounds more of the same but still good. It clocks in at 90 minutes long!

----
rekt
28.02.2012 - 17:06
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 28.02.2012 at 04:41

Sylvan have been around for a while. A german neo-prog/progessive band, they just released their 4th studio album. It sounds more of the same but still good. It clocks in at 90 minutes long!

One of my friends recommended Sylvan to me ages ago, and I still haven't gotten around to listening to them... way too much good prog around to swallow
----
7.0 means the album is good
28.02.2012 - 17:23
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 28.02.2012 at 17:06

Written by tea[m]ster on 28.02.2012 at 04:41

One of my friends recommended Sylvan to me ages ago, and I still haven't gotten around to listening to them... way too much good prog around to swallow

you're not missing much, they have only really good album - Posthumous Silence; their early albums are IQ/80s Marillion copycats, rather weak IMO.
28.02.2012 - 21:27
enumaelis
I have listened recently a very good album of a german band called Flaming Row. Seems the first one and it's called Elinoire, if you like Shadow Gallery, I'd recommend it.
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
29.02.2012 - 03:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Milena on 28.02.2012 at 17:06

They are not bad. Lead singer kinda sounds like the dood from Coldplay but the music is good. If you like "softer" progressive metal like Spock's Beard and IQ check them out.
----
rekt
29.02.2012 - 03:47
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by [user id=17278] on 28.02.2012 at 17:23

you're not missing much, they have only really good album - Posthumous Silence; their early albums are IQ/80s Marillion copycats, rather weak IMO.

Weak how so? If you are prog rock fan Sylvan is a good choice. If you like prog-metal then not so much!
----
rekt
29.02.2012 - 03:51
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 29.02.2012 at 03:47

Written by [user id=17278] on 28.02.2012 at 17:23

Weak how so? If you are prog rock fan Sylvan is a good choice. If you like prog-metal then not so much!

I found them weak and a bit boring. And I do listen to neo-prog.
03.03.2012 - 17:55
Hello everyone, I have been here for a couple of years now, but haven't had a need to get involved with forum.

Don't want to take much of your time, but if you have some, you may want to check out my band - Burning Circle (Serbia), we have just finished our first album and have 3 track promo - free to download at site of premiere metal magazine in Serbia - Nocturne Magazine. So if you like SyX, Kansas or DT mixed with many other heavy/thrash and death elements, you may like this one:

http://nocturnemagazine.net/vest/1025/preuzmite-promo-album-benda-burning-circle

the page is in Serbian, but you'll get the point, please comment
03.03.2012 - 18:22
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Burning Circle on 03.03.2012 at 17:55

Hello everyone, I have been here for a couple of years now, but haven't had a need to get involved with forum.

Don't want to take much of your time, but if you have some, you may want to check out my band - Burning Circle (Serbia), we have just finished our first album and have 3 track promo - free to download at site of premiere metal magazine in Serbia - Nocturne Magazine. So if you like SyX, Kansas or DT mixed with many other heavy/thrash and death elements, you may like this one:

http://nocturnemagazine.net/vest/1025/preuzmite-promo-album-benda-burning-circle

the page is in Serbian, but you'll get the point, please comment

this thread is the wrong one for promoting your music, there is a special thread for that already.
10.03.2012 - 06:26
DJ Mythos
You simply must hear Arch/Matheos' Sympathetic Resonance. That and the last Dalriada were possibly the best albums of 2011.
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
11.03.2012 - 18:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Check out Black Jester - The Divine Comedy.