08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2535 users
08.08.2010 - 06:41
Rating: 5
Derwood
Written by vezzy on 06.08.2010 at 14:36

It's like an unwritten law of metal. Hell, for all I know, there could be a Metal Bible coming at our way.
"Thou shalt kill posers."
"Thou shalt listen to Manowar with thy speakers turned to max."
"Thou shalt not speak against the holy Maiden."

Shit, that second commandment makes me a metal heretic. Unless I can amend it with "...and laugh uncontrollably."

I have also spoken against the holy Maiden. I'm still looking forward to the new album, but my expectations get lower with each track released.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
09.08.2010 - 23:50
dodstink
This track does NOT represent Iron. I hope that the rest will sound better.
10.08.2010 - 07:31
Derwood
It's leaked, I've listened to it.

It really pains me to say this, but "El Dorado" is actually a highlight. Plodding, monotonous, generic and dull. I will not likely be buying this album. It's not without it's moments, but they are far too few. After first listen, I give it a 4.5 but I will give it a couple more spins before I really settle on it.

This is from a guy who actually likes quite a bit of their post-2000 work.
----
10.08.2010 - 07:56
Rating: 10
Xodus
Quite enjoying it so far myself. Better than their last two albums for sure.

The soloing in particular is fucking great. There's a few real facemelters.
10.08.2010 - 11:23
everonn
♥ MAIDEN
10.08.2010 - 12:07
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'll resist the urge to try out the leak.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.08.2010 - 13:17
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hmm... I have listened to the full album once now, and its like an album of two halves. The first half is a lot more straightforward, that's if you dont count for the very weird and spacey first 4 minutes or so of the title track. lol "The Alchemist" kicks off with a classic sounding Maiden harmony riff, but then becomes a decent if unspectacular rocker. Though is a classic compared to the opening track. "Mother Of Mercy" is undoubtedly the highlight of the first half of the album. Despite Bruce struggling a little with his vocals in the chorus, its a very ominous war themed track. A bit like a more straightforward version of "The Longest Day" from AMOLAD. My only gripe with the song is that the solo was a bit subdued. It could have used a bit more fire.

The 2nd half of the album is filled with fully fledged prog workouts that make most of AMOLAD sound like "Running Free". lol "The Talisman" being the only one which has a more rigid structure like most of AMOLAD's long tracks. And is in fact a pretty great song once it's engines rev up. I'll need to listen to these songs a bit more before I can give definitive thoughts on them. There's just too much going on to take in on one listen. I wasn't expecting much from the album before I heard it, so to that end its hard to be really disappointed with it. What I can say though, is its definitely not Maiden's worst album. But its hardly a classic either.
10.08.2010 - 14:17
Xodus
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.08.2010 at 13:17

Its like an album of two halves.

I like this. It adds progression which greatly rewards you for listening to the album as a whole. The first half is indeed pretty straightforward with standard 4-5 minute rock/metal tracks. But halfway through it changes direction and heads into a mystical and epic direction. You get the best of both worlds in what Maiden has to offer; the short fast rockers and the long epics. But the way they're placed in the album makes it get 'more epic' as the album progresses. 'Tis a good thing IMO.

My favourite track so far is probably Isle of Avalon. It's pretty progressive and has a real Rush vibe to it.
10.08.2010 - 14:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Xodus on 10.08.2010 at 14:17
I like this. It adds progression which greatly rewards you for listening to the album as a whole. The first half is indeed pretty straightforward with standard 4-5 minute rock/metal tracks. But halfway through it changes direction and heads into a mystical and epic direction. You get the best of both worlds in what Maiden has to offer; the short fast rockers and the long epics. But the way they're placed in the album makes it get 'more epic' as the album progresses. 'Tis a good thing IMO.

My favourite track so far is probably Isle of Avalon. It's pretty progressive and has a real Rush vibe to it.

Having just listened to "Isle Of Avalon" for a 2nd time, I can pretty safely say right now that even after Ive given the last few songs more listens, that one will be my fave from the more proggy 2nd half of ths album. The intro part has very blissful sounding guitars, and the chorus sounds immensely upbeat and triumphant. I can picture myself being on a sunkissed island while listening to that part. Its very different for Maiden, but most fans of out of there prog (like me!) are sure to love it. xD

A thing Ive noticed while listening to "The Talisman" for a 2nd time, is its verses sound VERY reminiscent of "Ghost Of The Navigator". And listening to the lyrics, it also seems to have a maritime theme to it as well...
10.08.2010 - 14:38
Rating: 2
RavenKing
Written by Derwood on 10.08.2010 at 07:31

Plodding, monotonous, generic and dull.

I still haven't listened to the album but that's exactly what I expect as, Imo, that's all Maiden do since at least "Fear Of The Dark".
And to hear that "El Dorado" is a highlight is not encouraging at all, since this song is atrocious.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.08.2010 - 14:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"El Dorado" is the only song apart from "Mother Of Mercy" that I really enjoy in the first part of the album, so yep it is a highlight. So people who dont like that one.... lol

Im going to refrain from commenting too much on the 2nd half of the album for now, but the first half of the album aside from those two songs, isnt great. With the opening track being the worst of the bunch.
11.08.2010 - 12:00
everonn
When a new maiden album comes out, one should listen to it for at least a month to fully understand what it is all about there's many who tried to prove that they're faster but they didn't last and they died as they tried.:P
11.08.2010 - 19:58
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by everonn on 11.08.2010 at 12:00

When a new maiden album comes out, one should listen to it for at least a month to fully understand what it is all about there's many who tried to prove that they're faster but they didn't last and they died as they tried.:P

i dont understand what youre trying to say? .......by "there's many who tried to prove that they're faster" are you referring to bands or users whont listen to albums long enough?
11.08.2010 - 20:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"There's many who tried to prove that they're faster..." is a line from "Hell Bent For Leather"...

I dont think anyone would need to listen to the new Maiden album for a month to fully understand it. Especially the first half of the album which contains shorter songs that can be fully absorbed within a couple of listens. The songs on the latter half of the album might take about 4/5 listens to fully take in. But I think most people could deduce right away whether they will like those songs or not. Most prog fans will be able to appreciate it. People who hate prog, will hate the latter half of the album, no matter how many times they listen to it. lol

Incidentally, I definitely prefer the 2nd half of the album to the first. Although even that is a little patchy. "Starblind" is easily the weakest of the proggy section of the album IMO.
11.08.2010 - 23:19
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.08.2010 at 20:33

"There's many who tried to prove that they're faster..." is a line from "Hell Bent For Leather"...

I dont think anyone would need to listen to the new Maiden album for a month to fully understand it. Especially the first half of the album which contains shorter songs that can be fully absorbed within a couple of listens. The songs on the latter half of the album might take about 4/5 listens to fully take in. But I think most people could deduce right away whether they will like those songs or not. Most prog fans will be able to appreciate it. People who hate prog, will hate the latter half of the album, no matter how many times they listen to it. lol

Incidentally, I definitely prefer the 2nd half of the album to the first. Although even that is a little patchy. "Starblind" is easily the weakest of the proggy section of the album IMO.

I'm not a big prog fan, but enjoy the second half more because theyre doing prog waayy better than heavy, at the moment
12.08.2010 - 05:24
Derwood
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.08.2010 at 20:33

Most prog fans will be able to appreciate it. People who hate prog, will hate the latter half of the album, no matter how many times they listen to it. lol

I am a prog fan and one of my first thoughts about the second half of the album (especially "Isle of Avalon") was that it sounded like a weak Rush track with Dickinson doing guest vocals and Geddy Lee phoning in the bass. The more spins I give this thing (5 so far), the less I like it. "The Talisman" is the only song I actually like. I would still have to say that "El Dorado" is actually the second best track on the album and that's not saying much.

I really want to like this album. It's just not very good.
----
12.08.2010 - 06:55
Xodus
I'm loving this album the more I listen to it, but I can definitely see why people would dislike it. It's a lot easier to listen to as a prog fan, and I can see the prog haters really coming down hard on this album. And since Maiden aren't a prog band, this new direction is something that a lot of people wouldn't be expecting. Some won't even accept it at all.

But for me, I'm totally loving it. I can't find many faults with the album. The only ones I can point out are a few intros that go on too long (especially Sat 15) and Bruce struggling here and there. It's not much to pick at.

Just a quick thought. I now see why the band chose Dream Theater to support them last month.
12.08.2010 - 14:45
RavenKing
OK. I heard only 4 songs until now ("El Dorado", "Satellite 15", "The Talisman" and "When The Wild Wind Blows") and they all suck.

Also, it seems lots of songs are way too long and stretched for what they have to offer and have those kind of long, tedious and sleep-inducing acoustic intros (that sometimes come back later in the songs) Maiden started to use on "The X Factor" and that always made me cringe. And all I heard until now, they already repeated it a million times.

These guys have no songwriting skill left whatsoever. It's always the same generic bullshit repeated over and over and stretched to the brink of insanity. And this comment comes from a huge long songs lover.
But, if you have to make long songs, you need to put substance in there, otherwise it's only an excrutiatingly boring snoozefest.
----
12.08.2010 - 19:13
Coverkiller
Wow. after hearing this album in its entirety, i find it hard to believe that some fans appear to be as disappointed as they are. My theory is that many fans of the classic 80's albums see very little positive about the band's recent dive into the progressive realm, which broadened in The Final Frontier. all i can say to those who are dismayed is that acceptance of the band's stylistic evolution will lead you to sharing the remarkable experience that those who embrace the Maiden of 2000's have had on the past two albums. Maiden purists who simply believe this band can do no wrong don't aide the argument because to them, Maiden could defecate on their instruments and Bruce could burp the ABC's and it would be a 5 star classic to them. the new direction has turned Maiden into an even more perfect band. They were always the masters of powerful NWOBHM riffs and pace, but this shift has crowned them as masters of the beautiful and powerful as well. yes, when El Dorado came out, i was both fearful and a skeptic about how The Final Frontier would sound as a whole. now, i am kicking myself for ever having doubts. Like A Tale of Two Cities (oddly a classic work Maiden has not used as a theme in their music) this is a tale of two halves of an album. when combined, the whole work flows with grace, and exhibits both the Maiden of the 80's and their new progression, and might i add, their progressive side rivals any of the top bands in that genre today, which would seem heretical if i weren't a HUGE progressive metal/rock nut, so such a statement only becomes all the more of a glowing compliment. its hard for me to place an album in the 2nd Bruce era as better than Brave New World, and i am still hesitant to do so, because that album has both stylistic and personal meaning to me, but if you remove the personal value, the past two Maiden releases could easily topple BNW.

finally, to those who say this album should be renamed "The Final Album" or anything along those lines, all i have to say to that is this: had they done that, they retired with a bang, with a breathtaking release, and showing the height of their musical talent. IF this were the finale to their career, a tear would be shed, but a massive thank you would be ordered, and not just for the 80's ride, but for 15 studio albums, electric world tours, and their inspiration to the bands of today.

if you want to debate this, you'll find me where the wild wind blows.
----
www.youtube.com/user/coverkiller - THE best album reviews on youtube!
12.08.2010 - 19:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Problem with Iron maiden and prgressive is that they do progressive metal badly. They make immensely boring. Which is showcased once again here. And Bruice's vocals are also truly down the hill now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.08.2010 - 20:31
neb
I guess progressive IS boring
anyway, I listened the album twice and my favourites are the talisman and when the wild wind blows..i don't like the first half of the album
13.08.2010 - 01:05
RavenKing
Written by Coverkiller on 12.08.2010 at 19:13

Wow. after hearing this album in its entirety, i find it hard to believe that some fans appear to be as disappointed as they are. My theory is that many fans of the classic 80's albums see very little positive about the band's recent dive into the progressive realm, which broadened in The Final Frontier. all i can say to those who are dismayed is that acceptance of the band's stylistic evolution will lead you to sharing the remarkable experience that those who embrace the Maiden of 2000's have had on the past two albums. Maiden purists who simply believe this band can do no wrong don't aide the argument because to them, Maiden could defecate on their instruments and Bruce could burp the ABC's and it would be a 5 star classic to them. the new direction has turned Maiden into an even more perfect band. They were always the masters of powerful NWOBHM riffs and pace, but this shift has crowned them as masters of the beautiful and powerful as well. yes, when El Dorado came out, i was both fearful and a skeptic about how The Final Frontier would sound as a whole. now, i am kicking myself for ever having doubts. Like A Tale of Two Cities (oddly a classic work Maiden has not used as a theme in their music) this is a tale of two halves of an album. when combined, the whole work flows with grace, and exhibits both the Maiden of the 80's and their new progression, and might i add, their progressive side rivals any of the top bands in that genre today, which would seem heretical if i weren't a HUGE progressive metal/rock nut, so such a statement only becomes all the more of a glowing compliment. its hard for me to place an album in the 2nd Bruce era as better than Brave New World, and i am still hesitant to do so, because that album has both stylistic and personal meaning to me, but if you remove the personal value, the past two Maiden releases could easily topple BNW.

finally, to those who say this album should be renamed "The Final Album" or anything along those lines, all i have to say to that is this: had they done that, they retired with a bang, with a breathtaking release, and showing the height of their musical talent. IF this were the finale to their career, a tear would be shed, but a massive thank you would be ordered, and not just for the 80's ride, but for 15 studio albums, electric world tours, and their inspiration to the bands of today.

All this pile of bullshit sounds just like marketing from a label. No credibility of any kind.
----
13.08.2010 - 01:06
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2010 at 19:25

Problem with Iron maiden and prgressive is that they do progressive metal badly. They make immensely boring. Which is showcased once again here. And Bruice's vocals are also truly down the hill now.

True. And I can't stand Bruce's vocals at all since at least "Dance Of Death".
----
13.08.2010 - 01:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
And Where The Wild Wind Blows is especially... Cringeworthy.
Musically, lyrically, vocally a joke.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.08.2010 - 01:39
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.08.2010 at 01:14

The title fits the song nicely: it indeed blows. lol
----
13.08.2010 - 01:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RavenKing on 13.08.2010 at 01:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.08.2010 at 01:14

The title fits the song nicely: it indeed blows. lol

that was my first reaction as well
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.08.2010 - 03:14
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2010 at 19:25

Problem with Iron maiden and prgressive is that they do progressive metal badly. They make immensely boring.

Listen to Seventh Son again, please? (the song, wihich is as heavy as it is prog)
As for this new album I still have to listen to it.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.08.2010 - 03:41
Derwood

...their progressive side rivals any of the top bands in that genre today, which would seem heretical if i weren't a HUGE progressive metal/rock nut, so such a statement only becomes all the more of a glowing compliment.

Apparently you and I have very different ideas about the quality of the work of today's top prog bands. Put this album alongside Riverside's Anno Domini High Definition from last year and such an assertion is ridiculous. Not one track from The Final Frontier would make even a worthwhile B-side.

I think Maiden may have finally managed to sink lower than "Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter" with that particular track.

I'm glad there are some that appreciate this album; I just completely fail to understand how it's possible.
----
13.08.2010 - 03:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Derwood on 13.08.2010 at 03:41

...their progressive side rivals any of the top bands in that genre today, which would seem heretical if i weren't a HUGE progressive metal/rock nut, so such a statement only becomes all the more of a glowing compliment.

Apparently you and I have very different ideas about the quality of the work of today's top prog bands. Put this album alongside Riverside's Anno Domini High
Definition
from last year and such an assertion is ridiculous. Not one track fro
m The Final Frontier would make even a worthwhile B-side.

I think Maiden may have finally managed to sink lower than "Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter" with that particular track.

It seems like in general the geriatrics agree once again. Although I disagree that WTWWB sinks and stoops to the level of BYDTS. But it does get damn close.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.08.2010 - 04:09
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.08.2010 at 03:50

Although I disagree that WTWWB sinks and stoops to the level of BYDTS. But it does get damn close.

It's really hard to make something worse than BYDTTS, honestly. This atrocity should never have been recorded.
----

Hits total: 66582 | This month: 147