Metal Storm logo
Bruce Dickinson

Original post

Posted by GT, 06.08.2006 - 20:24
Just found out that we didn't had a Bruce Dickinson-tread...but now we do...

I'm a big fan of BD. His voice and his singing style are great and unique imo. Also his energy on stage...I haven't seen any other singer running around that much.
I only own 'The Chemical Wedding' and 'Balls To Picasso' form his solo career and it's been a long time since I gave them a listen, but I remember them as being excellent.

That's all from me...now it's your turn
05.09.2012 - 23:47
Patrick.
His last three albums are all excellent and very hard to pick a personal favorite. What makes one particular album stand out is the opposite with another.
"Accident Of Birth" to me sounds very fresh and loose 'round the edges, very varied and balanced with some acoustic moments and a couple of power-ballads.
"The Chemical Wedding" is darker and more compact, the songs flow perhaps even better and there's more attention to atmosphere and details as well, more musical and more focused I think.
"Tyranny Of Souls" sounds pretty much like a marriage of the other two, but also has a very in-your-face production, lots of bite in the sound. On the previous two it sounded like he had much more to prove, here the songs feel more natural perhaps without quite as much attention for variety or longer epics and such.
Bruce is awesome!
07.09.2012 - 22:59
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I know many people don't really care for his second solo album, but i actually really enjoyed Balls to Picasso. I thought it had some nice experimentation and a lot of different, diverse ideas that Iron Maiden fans would have found unacceptable if he was singing the songs with them (except for probably Tears of the Dragon), but I would have thought pretty cool actually. I don't think it's as good as say Tyranny of Souls for example, but I still like the album a lot.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.09.2012 - 21:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.09.2012 at 22:59

I know many people don't really care for his second solo album, but i actually really enjoyed Balls to Picasso. I thought it had some nice experimentation and a lot of different, diverse ideas that Iron Maiden fans would have found unacceptable if he was singing the songs with them (except for probably Tears of the Dragon), but I would have thought pretty cool actually. I don't think it's as good as say Tyranny of Souls for example, but I still like the album a lot.

who said we dont like I like all his solo albums and Tyrany was an masterpiece .... he shood relise new one, maybe it wont suck so much how last IM
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.09.2012 - 01:42
GhostofCain
Written by Bad English on 09.09.2012 at 21:56

Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.09.2012 at 22:59

who said we dont like I like all his solo albums and Tyrany was an masterpiece .... he shood relise new one, maybe it wont suck so much how last IM

He and Roy Z are working on a new album right now. Roy Z announced it on his facebook and couple months ago. I'm a fan of all of Bruce's solo albums, I like the first 3 (yes even Skunkworks) for being so different from each other and diverse. And I like the last 3 for being complete metal bliss and brilliance.
11.09.2012 - 12:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by GhostofCain on 11.09.2012 at 01:42
He and Roy Z are working on a new album right now. Roy Z announced it on his facebook and couple months ago. I'm a fan of all of Bruce's solo albums, I like the first 3 (yes even Skunkworks) for being so different from each other and diverse. And I like the last 3 for being complete metal bliss and brilliance.

You're kidding! That's awesome news! Everything Roy and Bruce do together is awesome. I just hope they get Adrian onboard for the new album, as his abscence was the only thing wrong with the last album ("Tyranny Of Souls").

Edit: I just looked on Roy's facebook, and saw no mention of a new Bruce Dickinson album in the works. There's no news of it on his official site either, or anywhere else for that matter....
11.09.2012 - 13:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.09.2012 at 12:35

You're kidding! That's awesome news! Everything Roy and Bruce do together is awesome. I just hope they get Adrian onboard for the new album, as his abscence was the only thing wrong with the last album ("Tyranny Of Souls").

Edit: I just looked on Roy's facebook, and saw no mention of a new Bruce Dickinson album in the works. There's no news of it on his official site either, or anywhere else for that matter....

BD home page has not been updated 6 years LOL after Tyrany is out
----

apos;'
[image]
11.09.2012 - 14:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Bad English on 11.09.2012 at 13:35

I meant Roy Z's home page silly! And that has been updated a few times this year.
11.09.2012 - 19:50
GhostofCain
Written by Bad English on 11.09.2012 at 13:35

Written by Angelic Storm on 11.09.2012 at 12:35

Trust me, he announced it on his personal facebook page a couple months back, It may take a while to complete, but at least they're working on something.
11.09.2012 - 19:56
GhostofCain
Actually I went back and found the post I was talking about, he posted a picture of him and Bruce from back in the day with a comment "Scream for me Facebook!!". I commented "New album?" and he simply liked my comment. So I took that as a yes, sorry for misleading you into thinking he made and official announcement. The post was in May 19th.
12.09.2012 - 00:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by GhostofCain on 11.09.2012 at 19:56

Actually I went back and found the post I was talking about, he posted a picture of him and Bruce from back in the day with a comment "Scream for me Facebook!!". I commented "New album?" and he simply liked my comment. So I took that as a yes, sorry for misleading you into thinking he made and official announcement. The post was in May 19th.

Yep, I saw that picture on his Facebook page. And that's okay about misleading me, I was really excited at the prospect of a new Bruce/Roy Z collaboration though... Ah well.
12.09.2012 - 00:40
GhostofCain
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.09.2012 at 00:00

Written by GhostofCain on 11.09.2012 at 19:56

Yep, I saw that picture on his Facebook page. And that's okay about misleading me, I was really excited at the prospect of a new Bruce/Roy Z collaboration though... Ah well.

I doubt Roy would have "liked" my comment if there wasn't something in the works, I'm sure it's just writing song via email at this point. Roy is smart enough to know that liking my comment would send a certain message. I doubt Bruce would work with anyone other than Roy on his solo material at this point. Actually I wish Iron Maiden would drop Kevin Shirley and bring Roy in to shake things up a bit.
12.09.2012 - 01:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by GhostofCain on 12.09.2012 at 00:40
I doubt Roy would have "liked" my comment if there wasn't something in the works, I'm sure it's just writing song via email at this point. Roy is smart enough to know that liking my comment would send a certain message. I doubt Bruce would work with anyone other than Roy on his solo material at this point. Actually I wish Iron Maiden would drop Kevin Shirley and bring Roy in to shake things up a bit.

He could have just been pleased in the knowledge that people love his work with Bruce and want them to work together again.

I agree with you that it's doubtful that Bruce would work with anyone but Roy Z on his solo material now, and I'm glad about that. As he has a special chemistry with Roy that would be hard to establish with anyone else.

Well, all of Bruce's solo albums with Roy are far superior to Maiden's last studio album, which I was pretty disappointed with overall. The only issue I'd have with Roy working with Maiden, is that he might make a Maiden album sound like a Bruce solo album. I agree about dropping Kevin Shirley though, I think Maiden have gone as far as they can with him. They need a fire lit under them again, and Kevin surely isn't the person to do that. Perhaps Roy is, who knows?
12.09.2012 - 14:08
GhostofCain
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.09.2012 at 01:28

Written by GhostofCain on 12.09.2012 at 00:40

He could have just been pleased in the knowledge that people love his work with Bruce and want them to work together again.

I agree with you that it's doubtful that Bruce would work with anyone but Roy Z on his solo material now, and I'm glad about that. As he has a special chemistry with Roy that would be hard to establish with anyone else.

Well, all of Bruce's solo albums with Roy are far superior to Maiden's last studio album, which I was pretty disappointed with overall. The only issue I'd have with Roy working with Maiden, is that he might make a Maiden album sound like a Bruce solo album. I agree about dropping Kevin Shirley though, I think Maiden have gone as far as they can with him. They need a fire lit under them again, and Kevin surely isn't the person to do that. Perhaps Roy is, who knows?

Don't give up hope Bruce has expressed his desire to make another solo album in the near future. I don't even care if it's metal, I just want these guys to write songs together.
04.04.2013 - 04:44
Urizen367
It'd be nice to hear something new from Bruce. i like his solo stuff more then maiden honestly.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
09.04.2013 - 17:33
Metal_Elle
Written by Urizen367 on 04.04.2013 at 04:44

It'd be nice to hear something new from Bruce. i like his solo stuff more then maiden honestly.

Hum...I don't agree with you. Maiden stuff (if we don't consider the albums from DoD to The Final Frontier) is really good and sometimes better than Dickinson's stuff...What about good albums as Powerslave, Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son ? Are they worse than Chemical Wedding or Balls To Picasso or Accident Of Birth ? No, definitively not. The only very good Dickinson's album is Accident Of Birth, the others are too pop or rock oriented. They can't be considered as being metal...And honestly, I really prefer ancient Maiden music...
09.04.2013 - 20:53
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish

i like his solo stuff more then maiden honestly.

Because if you hadn't put "honestly" in there, we would just have assumed that you were lying. But yeah, I'd like to hear some new solo stuff from Bruce. I'm guessing he's just too busy with Maiden and all the touring they do.

Written by Metal_Elle on 09.04.2013 at 17:33

The only very good Dickinson's album is Accident Of Birth, the others are too pop or rock oriented. They can't be considered as being metal...And honestly, I really prefer ancient Maiden music...

Accident of Birth, The Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls are all metal albums. I prefer 80's Maiden over his solo stuff as well, but I'd hardly call it "ancient".

And now, I'll randomly post a video of Dickinson performing with Ian Anderson (from Jethro Tull):

11.04.2013 - 01:26
Urizen367

Hum...I don't agree with you. Maiden stuff (if we don't consider the albums from DoD to The Final Frontier) is really good and sometimes better than Dickinson's stuff...What about good albums as Powerslave, Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son ? Are they worse than Chemical Wedding or Balls To Picasso or Accident Of Birth ? No, definitively not. The only very good Dickinson's album is Accident Of Birth, the others are too pop or rock oriented. They can't be considered as being metal...And honestly, I really prefer ancient Maiden music...

love maiden through and through, but i catch myself listening to bruce's stuff more then i do maiden. accident of birth is a really strong album, but it's no seventh son, which is no powerslave, which is no piece of mind, which is no chemical wedding. if that gives you some idea how i rank the albums. the earlier bruce stuff is indeed "different" when compared to some of the other stuff he and maiden (respectively) have done. maiden has a lot nice hooks and great composure, but bruce's stuff (AOB, TCW, TOS), is just more raw, in your face, to the point, and on point. and it's a matter of personal preference as to why I prefer bruce's style over maiden's. love maiden, love bruce, listen to both wayyy too much, but i listen to bruce more.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
12.04.2013 - 11:59
PeterFranks
I'm a huge Maiden and Bruce fan. His voice was awesome on his 3 last solo albums
12.04.2013 - 19:18
Fritillaria
Account deleted
You haven't seen any other singer running around that much ?? I say check out Sebastian Bach live shows with Skid Row, you will know who has got the energy on performing, I used to be quite neutral to Bruce Dickson,but now I say he's such awesome vocalist, and he can be really inspiration though he's a bit overrated.
12.04.2013 - 22:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.04.2013 at 19:18

You haven't seen any other singer running around that much ?? I say check out Sebastian Bach live shows with Skid Row, you will know who has got the energy on performing, I used to be quite neutral to Bruce Dickson,but now I say he's such awesome vocalist, and he can be really inspiration though he's a bit overrated.

waite some years when he will be older
----

apos;'
[image]
12.04.2013 - 22:38
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.04.2013 at 22:10

who gets older ? Sebastian or Bruce ?
12.04.2013 - 22:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.04.2013 at 22:38

Written by Bad English on 12.04.2013 at 22:10

who gets older ? Sebastian or Bruce ?

both and then they cant run
----

apos;'
[image]
12.04.2013 - 22:48
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.04.2013 at 22:46

both and then they cant run

they can sit and sing !
12.04.2013 - 22:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.04.2013 at 22:48

[;D they can sit and sing !

Groopies wont be happy
----

apos;'
[image]
12.04.2013 - 23:00
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.04.2013 at 22:50

Written by Guest on 12.04.2013 at 22:48

[;D they can sit and sing !

Groopies wont be happy

who cares about them
27.04.2013 - 19:03
PeterFranks
Sebastian Bach is younger than Bruce. However, compare Bruce and Sebastian nowadays live performances, I'm not sure than Sebastian is the winner for vocals and energy on stage!
27.04.2013 - 21:01
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by PeterFranks on 27.04.2013 at 19:03

Sebastian Bach is younger than Bruce. However, compare Bruce and Sebastian nowadays live performances, I'm not sure than Sebastian is the winner for vocals and energy on stage!

yeah I agree with you, I meant his older live shows
07.05.2013 - 14:31
Jtbmetal123
He is and always will be a Metal legend! He has a unique voice and he is so talented.
13.06.2013 - 17:44
Metal_Elle
Written by Azarath on 09.04.2013 at 20:53

The only very good Dickinson's album is Accident Of Birth, the others are too pop or rock oriented. They can't be considered as being metal...And honestly, I really prefer ancient Maiden music...

Accident of Birth, The Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls are all metal albums. I prefer 80's Maiden over his solo stuff as well, but I'd hardly call it "ancient".

Yes, these three albums are metal. Anyway, Bruce is more rock oriented on his solo career except on the last one. If you take an ear on "The Tower" or "Back From The Edge", it's flagrant... I can't wait to listen to some Bruce new stuff...Roy Z is a great composer as Bruce is...And I also with you on the fact that "the ancien Maiden stuff" (self quote) can't be called as "ancient" because the songs that the band composed in the 80's don't age...^^
25.07.2013 - 18:26
Many jewels can be found in Dickinson's solo material. He was far better than Maiden with Bailey.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter