Metal Storm logo
Epica

Original post

Posted by Etaín, 17.05.2006 - 18:47
New thread for this great Dutch band

So they just released 'The Road to Paradiso' photo sound book. Need to get my hands on this soon. They also recorded the show for a dvd if i remember correctly. Thats gonna be great
15.03.2009 - 17:18
Ragana
Rawrcat
Yesterday me and my sister went to the music shop in need for the last DJ Tiësto's album (nah, it wasn't for me ). I noticed an album of Epica being placed in front of me, so I took it, showed to my sister and said: "See this artwork? That's the main chick of this band. She may look good, but the music sucks enough."

Sometimes I think people like Epica only because of Simone Simons' good looks. For myself, I'm not into this band. There was a time when I thought some of these songs were cool but after a while they got too uninteresting.
15.03.2009 - 17:57
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ragana on 15.03.2009 at 17:18

Sometimes I think people like Epica only because of Simone Simons' good looks. For myself, I'm not into this band. There was a time when I thought some of these songs were cool but after a while they got too uninteresting.

In fact, the main strong point of Epica is the instrumental music...their orchestral compositions are brilliant, something that makes them superior to other prominent symphonic bands. Their work can be considered symphonic music in purest form, not symph-goth, not symph-power, not symph-sth but just the music itself is simply symphonic and this is their strongest side.

Simone is a decent vocalist but her voice does be a little bit inferior to her colleagues Lori Lewis, Sarah Brightman and Melissa Ferlaak....but there's Amanda Somerville and the whole choir supporting Simone which gives more power to everything....

Last but not least....Simone is an awesomely beautiful young woman....I personally will not deny that I like her because she is beautiful, however, I listen to Epica because their work is of high quality and not because Simone looks hot (logic here is that I LISTEN to music with my ears....there is no way Simone's beauty can in any possible ways affect my taste of music....)
16.03.2009 - 20:29
GT
Coffee!!
Staff

Yesterday me and my sister went to the music shop in need for the last DJ Tiësto's album (nah, it wasn't for me ). I noticed an album of Epica being placed in front of me, so I took it, showed to my sister and said: "See this artwork? That's the main chick of this band. She may look good, but the music sucks enough."

Sometimes you're probably right. Same goes with every other kind of metal. There are always stereotypes. In my case I heard a couple of songs from the band before I saw pictures og Simone.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.03.2009 - 03:02
ToMegaTherion
These guys are probably my favorite band of the entire gothic genre'. Although I would class them as more Symphonic than gothic. Simone Simons has to be the best singer on the circuit at the moment or one of. She is amazing. Not a single band song yet from Epica in my mind. I hope that continues.
20.03.2009 - 20:13
VPeter
Epica also 100% symphonic and not Gothic at all.
09.05.2009 - 20:46
Land Of Doom
Epica My best symphonic band

Simone Simons my best female Vocals
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
10.05.2009 - 13:44
annodomini
Oh my God, Classical Conspiracy is amazing. Such a great live relerase. And PoC is just amazing.
----
the riddle wants to be...
10.05.2009 - 21:11
Elodie Artour
Slania
I cannot wait to hear their new stuff! Hopefully, it's even better than "The Divine Conspiracy" !

And as far as I've read in here, "The Classical Conspiracy" is also a "must-have" release. I'm surely going to buy it after some time...
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
03.06.2009 - 05:03
Sy-Furr
Dang I wish that they had made a DVD of the Classical Conspiracy show.

O Well I will just have to wait till they start touring again.
29.09.2009 - 07:57
MetalSpider
So Epica has released a new music video for the song "Unleashed" off their new album. The video isnt all that great but I think the song is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htkV-_WKxMk

They also leaked another new song....Resign to Surrender, which is another good one...although it sounds like Simone's vocals have taken a backseat in that specific song (as in her voice isnt the focus or highlight of the song).
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
03.10.2009 - 19:49
Deacon
Hey guys, a friend of mine just showed me a video of Kamelot (Haunting) with Simmone as a special quest. She really is quite awsome. I'm fairly new with this type of music so I'd like to ask if you could recommend me some bands ala Kamelot, Epic.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Peace!
11.10.2009 - 15:06
Janne
Hugin
Imo Deconstruct is the best song of the new album but Resign to surrender and Unleashed are great too!
..and I love the whole album!!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.10.2009 - 16:59
nehrodwarf
I'm curious to see their new album

83 days off m/
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
12.10.2009 - 19:52
Ashavari
I downloaded their new album, and it's actually really good.
They got much heavier and I like the new sound:)
I'm still a fan of The Phantom Agony but Design Your Universe is cool too
----
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil
13.10.2009 - 05:29
MetalSpider
I'll have to listen to the new album a few more times, but from first listen it was pretty good.
----

14.10.2009 - 19:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Listening to new album now, and it does seem to be heavier than previous material (a good thing)
----
loves 小巫
14.10.2009 - 20:29
MetalSpider
Definitely heavier but it feels like somethings missing. Still got to listen to it more.
----

17.10.2009 - 00:57
emtay
It's heavier, which is in my eyes a good thing. The previous albums were quite fueled by vocals with often generic guitar parts, but instrumentally DYU is more progressive. It's my favorite album of theirs to date.
17.10.2009 - 11:57
Znoy
I think that Epica is just one of others. We have Nigthwish, Theater of Tragedy, Sirenia...
Rhapsody is better.
18.10.2009 - 00:25
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Znoy on 17.10.2009 at 11:57

I think that Epica is just one of others. We have Nigthwish, Theater of Tragedy, Sirenia...
Rhapsody is better.

Nightwish is symphonic power...
Theatre of Tragedy is gothic...
Sirenia is symphonic gothic...

Epica is symphonic symphonic...and now doing the job left by former sister-act After Forever....
Comparing it to Nightwish, Tot and Sirenia is out of place...none of them has the same style... or do you think that they're all the same because they have a pretty-girl singer?

Theatre of Tragedy isn't even symphonic....
Speaking of symphonic style, Epica is one of the most outstanding contemporary representatives of this style...
05.11.2009 - 12:23
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
I cant wait to get my hands on that new album!
eeerrrg!!! I need money first haha.
I also can't wait for their feb show. def. going
Already have the tickets for their show and Im very excited like a little girl.
05.11.2009 - 20:14
Ernis
狼獾
Can someone share their opinions and thoughts concerning the new video of theirs for the song "Unleashed"....I find it impossibly awkward and can't understand anything about it....who dug it?
06.11.2009 - 20:54
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Ernis on 05.11.2009 at 20:14

Can someone share their opinions and thoughts concerning the new video of theirs for the song "Unleashed"....I find it impossibly awkward and can't understand anything about it....who dug it?

Its terrible. I would describe them as gay metal, as in they're gay and try to be metal.
06.11.2009 - 21:15
Ernis
狼獾
Written by bloodwrage on 06.11.2009 at 20:54

Written by Ernis on 05.11.2009 at 20:14

Its terrible. I would describe them as gay metal, as in they're gay and try to be metal.

This post of yours is awkward and doesn't answer at all the question I asked.....
07.11.2009 - 02:31
MetalSpider
I really havent payed attention to the lyrics of Unleashed so I really don't know how it relates to the premise of the video, but the video itself is somewhat similar to the movie Sixth Sense (google it if you've never heard of it). Even then...I still don't really understand the video.
----

07.11.2009 - 09:46
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Saw Epica a few years ago in Holland and i'll admit the vocalist chick is pretty damn hot, almost too hot for metal if you know what I mean...but it was all very shortlived once I had to endure a 45minute set from the band. I just dont like it, overly symphonic and just too much of everything that dont appeal to me. Ive never been one to get female-fronted vocals in metal....it just doesnt work, except the woman who sang for Dark Moor like 10 years ago but thats because she sounded kinda like a man and didnt all this operatic shit going on. I think this type of vocals fit better with bands like Diablo Swing Orchestra because it fits the bombastic and random over-the-top nature of the band in the whole.

Anyway so I heard Epica's new album I just couldnt listen to it so I might just have to stay away from their albums forever.
20.11.2009 - 02:41
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat

It's OK if you admit the Tiësto CD was for you I do endoy some Mainstream electro every now and then

Damn, "She may look good, but the music sucks enough." Totally agreed. Luisa (My GF, totally loves Epica, she's even going to the concert next sunday. So she got the new album and convinced me into listenng to it "Give it a try at least", given that I had listened The Phantom Agony and was bored to death. So She put teh new album, which name I keep forgetting, and I was...bored to death, After the third song I had toconfess I found it as entertaining as getting up at 5 AM to go to a mass. It's too, big, too symphonic, and the big choir, and the not-so-operatic-anymore voice of Simone Simons, it's so... big and boring! Like a bull grazing. And Mark Jansen deffinitely needs growling lessons.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
22.11.2009 - 21:31
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Haven't seen this pic in the photo galleries, and it's a must see
Although it's probably very well known

----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
22.11.2009 - 21:56
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 22.11.2009 at 21:31

Haven't seen this pic in the photo galleries, and it's a must see
Although it's probably very well known

Thank you....

Good God! She's perfect....
23.11.2009 - 06:25
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Hehe, yeah, that's a great pic of her, wonder if she was aware that you could see her boobs throught her top that night xD