Metal Storm logo
Satanism

Original post

Posted by Sunioj, 24.08.2006 - 16:14
Satanism, from contemporary individualism to the sub categories of MLO and left hand path...
Plain and simple, what do you all think about it?

Im curious to hear people share thoughts and ideas of this philosophy and let me start by saying that contemporary Satanism is very interesting since it focuses on building oneself spiritually.

Lets take an example like Jon Nodveidt's recent decision to end his life....
He killed himself and his band claims it was a ritual suicide, does this make his form of Satanism a religion because it has rituals or is MLO another form of interpreting Satanism?
07.05.2009 - 21:44
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by vikingman369 on 06.05.2009 at 23:59

Pardon me for playing the "devil's advocate" (pardon my pun, satanists, but there needs to be another one made), but i doubt that it will be a religion until it tries to force its beliefs on others. but it won't because it's about choice.

That is not how a religion is defined. That definition of religion is bullshit. A religion is a predefined set of beliefs in some kind of supernatural entity. Nothing more, nothing less.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
07.05.2009 - 22:28
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
YEah, I just got in to read that and as it is that sound smore like a predispotision to religion than an actual reality to it.
----
15.06.2009 - 04:22
Gallows
Account deleted
Satanism won't become an acknowledged religion, it will be much like the vodoshian beliefs. It will be out there and there may be practitioners but many people/ governments/ ect. will recognize it as a true religion. If there is a established following they need to first begin building actual locations in order to even be taken seriously. I don't know much of the subject but this is what I believe.
15.06.2009 - 05:22
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 15.06.2009 at 04:22
...I don't know much of the subject...

Obviously.
----
(space for rent)
15.06.2009 - 13:51
Throne Dweller
I like the metaphorical side of it, destroying those who pester you, destroying trespassers, DESTROY.
15.06.2009 - 15:02
brapp32
If that's what you want believe in go the fuck for it.
17.06.2009 - 21:25
Got Mayhem?
I once considered Atheistical Satanism but then I realized it was just as bad as any other religion because it still expects you to live under certain tenets.
IMO you should go ahead and live your own way, without basing your life on what other people have decided is the right way to live.
----
17.06.2009 - 21:42
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Got Mayhem? on 17.06.2009 at 21:25

I once considered Atheistical Satanism but then I realized it was just as bad as any other religion because it still expects you to live under certain tenets.
IMO you should go ahead and live your own way, without basing your life on what other people have decided is the right way to live.

So if I live my life how I see fit and it includes lashing you to a chair and kicking you down the stairs over and over again that is alright?
----
(space for rent)
17.06.2009 - 22:19
Got Mayhem?
Written by Dane Train on 17.06.2009 at 21:42

So if I live my life how I see fit and it includes lashing you to a chair and kicking you down the stairs over and over again that is alright?

Nope, should have been more clear on that.
Live as you will, as long as your actions do not negatively effect someone else against their will.
Personally I think this is a very fair rule to live by.
----
25.06.2009 - 20:49
belisarius
Written by Got Mayhem? on 17.06.2009 at 22:19

not living by someone else's rules doesn't mean that you don't need to have some kind of ethics, because when you will attack people whenever you feel like it, because then it won't take long for you to be attacked yourself. You should think yourself what is right and what not in stead of following the rules of someone else
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
24.08.2009 - 14:20
TheBigRossowski

Live as you will, as long as your actions do not negatively effect someone else against their will.

I'm pretty sure he really understood what you meant, but just wanted to joke around with you. Of course, Satanism in it's many forms is just a waste of time. What's the point of a philosophical Satanist? Why can't someone just have their own philosophy without the attachment of Satanism? Even as a religion and those who worship the great beast, it seems very pathetic.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
27.08.2009 - 22:26
Got Mayhem?
Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.08.2009 at 14:20

I'm pretty sure he really understood what you meant, but just wanted to joke around with you. Of course, Satanism in it's many forms is just a waste of time. What's the point of a philosophical Satanist? Why can't someone just have their own philosophy without the attachment of Satanism? Even as a religion and those who worship the great beast, it seems very pathetic.

Yep, you've pretty much explained how I feel about it too.
----
29.09.2009 - 07:03
FOOCK Nam
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 07.05.2009 at 21:44

Pardon me for playing the "devil's advocate" (pardon my pun, satanists, but there needs to be another one made), but i doubt that it will be a religion until it tries to force its beliefs on others. but it won't because it's about choice.

That is not how a religion is defined. That definition of religion is bullshit. A religion is a predefined set of beliefs in some kind of supernatural entity. Nothing more, nothing less.

Same thought from me. Religion to me is WEAK slavery, at least in this 21th century. Mankind human world has its own business nowadys

As far as I read, Satanism, LaVey one is detached from Theist Satanism, or all religions. I do not want to say Satanism, or specifically LaVey Satanism is good or not. But I just want to stress the differences.
30.09.2009 - 23:38
TheBigRossowski
Written by FOOCK Nam on 29.09.2009 at 07:03

Same thought from me. Religion to me is WEAK slavery, at least in this 21th century. Mankind human world has its own business nowadys

As far as I read, Satanism, LaVey one is detached from Theist Satanism, or all religions. I do not want to say Satanism, or specifically LaVey Satanism is good or not. But I just want to stress the differences.

I think most people know this... or at least, I'm under the assumption that others know this. And again, I'll stress my aggravation with LaVeyian Satanism-it makes no sense! People can live the way they want through a brighter scope of philosophies, but why tag the title ''Satan'' to it?! LaVey was no Satanist, he was a confused philosopher.
----
13.10.2009 - 01:44
Hellkommando
Written by TheBigRossowski on 30.09.2009 at 23:38

I think most people know this... or at least, I'm under the assumption that others know this. And again, I'll stress my aggravation with LaVeyian Satanism-it makes no sense! People can live the way they want through a brighter scope of philosophies, but why tag the title ''Satan'' to it?! LaVey was no Satanist, he was a confused philosopher.

LaVey used elements of philosophy in his own theory, in particular some of the writings of Nietzsche. However, he is not a philosopher entirely, his main agenda was his "religious" and I use that term loosely. Indeed there are plenty of brilliant religious philosophers and philosophers who have a religious background but LaVey was nowhere near that league, but I indeed can see your point Ross, but if one applies the label of philosopher it should be noted that LaVey a rather poor one poor than a confused one. And speaking of philosophy my thesis is nearly due!
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
13.10.2009 - 18:43
TheBigRossowski
Written by Hellkommando on 13.10.2009 at 01:44

Written by TheBigRossowski on 30.09.2009 at 23:38

LaVey used elements of philosophy in his own theory, in particular some of the writings of Nietzsche. However, he is not a philosopher entirely, his main agenda was his "religious" and I use that term loosely. Indeed there are plenty of brilliant religious philosophers and philosophers who have a religious background but LaVey was nowhere near that league, but I indeed can see your point Ross, but if one applies the label of philosopher it should be noted that LaVey a rather poor one poor than a confused one. And speaking of philosophy my thesis is nearly due!

You're absolutely right! And if he was alive today, LaVey would convert to Dudeism.
----
12.11.2009 - 15:09
Ginnung
I would say that TOTBL (MLO) is based upon esoterism, not traditional religiousity.
14.11.2009 - 21:37
TheBigRossowski
Written by Ginnung on 12.11.2009 at 15:09

I would say that TOTBL (MLO) is based upon esoterism, not traditional religiousity.

You write pretty good for a 0 year old

I think one of the things that turns me off black metal is this ''we hate everything, we love the people close to us, kill god, Satan is god'' bullshit. For example, an interview with Erick from Watain... he just danced around the word ''god'' and tried not to say what if he really believes in Lucifer in that sense or not. It's all ridiculous and I swear... the term ''satanism'' makes me want to slap someone.

It's better if I just never read through this thread again.
----
17.11.2009 - 10:48
Ginnung
Written by TheBigRossowski on 14.11.2009 at 21:37

I think one of the things that turns me off black metal is this ''we hate everything, we love the people close to us, kill god, Satan is god'' bullshit. For example, an interview with Erick from Watain... he just danced around the word ''god'' and tried not to say what if he really believes in Lucifer in that sense or not. It's all ridiculous and I swear... the term ''satanism'' makes me want to slap someone.

Unfortunately your input lack substance. Why on earth do you get so indignant by other people's personal matter, in this case Satanistic philosophy?
17.11.2009 - 14:57
Hellkommando

I am literally only into black metal, and that little "we hate everything..." part is just inaccruate, you cannot pidgeonhole a musical genre into a stereotype, say for example myself, simply based off my looks, way I dress etc you would never even guess im into BM. Yes, not denying black metal has Satantic, anti-religious roots and themes but its not just that and not every black metal fan runs around saying "kill God" etc. Maybe your understanding of the term "Satanism" is slightly warped, there is just not one form of Satanism and its not something as a whole that is easy to classify, people will also believe different things and support different views for various reasons, religion, politics, ethics etc. However, I do agree with the point you made about not reading this thread again.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
18.11.2009 - 13:55
TheBigRossowski
Written by Ginnung on 17.11.2009 at 10:48

Unfortunately your input lack substance. Why on earth do you get so indignant by other people's personal matter, in this case Satanistic philosophy?

It's like saying, I'm an Atheistic Deist for fucksakes! What's the point of being a LaVeyan Satanist if you don't really believe in deities anyways? I mean, Satanists who believe in God and the Devil, kudos to those guys! At least they believe in something, but taking the name ''Satan'' and just applying it to a philosophy is downright ridiculous.
----
18.11.2009 - 14:03
TheBigRossowski
Written by Hellkommando on 17.11.2009 at 14:57

I am literally only into black metal, and that little "we hate everything..." part is just inaccruate, you cannot pidgeonhole a musical genre into a stereotype, say for example myself, simply based off my looks, way I dress etc you would never even guess im into BM. Yes, not denying black metal has Satantic, anti-religious roots and themes but its not just that and not every black metal fan runs around saying "kill God" etc. Maybe your understanding of the term "Satanism" is slightly warped, there is just not one form of Satanism and its not something as a whole that is easy to classify, people will also believe different things and support different views for various reasons, religion, politics, ethics etc. However, I do agree with the point you made about not reading this thread again.

I was exaggerating with the hate everything part, only to emphasize my point. Of course you have black metal bands who laugh at things, love their families and play with kittens. It's really the guys who take themselves seriously about it all, that gets aggravating.

And I have posted a few things in this thread before, I understand the various groups within Satanism. You have the theistic Lucifer lovers (again, kudos to those guys), the LaVeyan type Satanist, MLO, Order of Nine Angels, etc.. blah, blah, blah.

What I hate are the guys who apply ''Satan'' (just the name) to philosophy or their way of life, but don't believe in the deity. Pointless. You might as well call this fictional religion Sauronism if you don't believe in a deity.

In my opinion, your time is better spent reading a book on Existentialism... but that's just like my opinion, man.
----
19.11.2009 - 01:02
Warlock84
Quote:
Written by Desolate Gale on 17.11.2009 at 14:57

I was exaggerating with the hate everything part, only to emphasize my point. Of course you have black metal bands who laugh at things, love their families and play with kittens. It's really the guys who take themselves seriously about it all, that gets aggravating.

And I have posted a few things in this thread before, I understand the various groups within Satanism. You have the theistic Lucifer lovers (again, kudos to those guys), the LaVeyan type Satanist, MLO, Order of Nine Angels, etc.. blah, blah, blah.

What I hate are the guys who apply ''Satan'' (just the name) to philosophy or their way of life, but don't believe in the deity. Pointless. You might as well call this fictional religion Sauronism if you don't believe in a deity.

In my opinion, your time is better spent reading a book on Existentialism... but that's just like my opinion, man.

The Dude abides.

Every form of religion, no matter what it is, causes controversy. People become so opinionated on the subject- start wars, burn churches, and kill people over it... and for what? For a set of beliefs that may or may not be true? If you ask me, believing in ANY form of religion, whether it be Christianity, Satanism, or any other, makes you a drone and inherently blurs your vision of the true world around you. What happened to just being a moral person within the confines of natural/ human law? To me, religion has completely flawed and obstructed mankind's potential. I find it more rewarding to just live my life and not worry about something so seemingly pointless.

... and if I'm completlely wrong, I'll figure it out when I die. "Fuck it, dude. Let's go bowling."
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
19.11.2009 - 08:45
Hellkommando
Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.11.2009 at 14:03

What religion isn't fictional, who says what religion is fictional and what religion isn't fictional? All all religion contains philosophy including Satanism! And don't offer any recomendations on what I should read, done plenty of existentialism for your information but ta for the attempted advice or cheap insult, I think if anyone needs to broaden their reading its you . The fact of the matter is every aspect of religion from Islam to Christianity, Hinduism and Satanism etc contain philosophy and philosophical elements. And people will always takes things they believe seriously, if for example one is Aristotelian about the notion of virtue and ethics then they will genuinely take it seriously and believe that Aristotle was right then say someone who is Kantian about ethics will genuinely believe that the Kantian account is right. Two different ethical accounts. yet both contain plenty of merit and I can see why people believe in them. Just because say I take issue with certain elements of Aristotelian thought does not mean I dismiss it entirely and just write off. People will believe what they want to believe because thats just how it is, for most people any belief that can "get them through the night" so to speak is good enough. Priests, Ministers, Rabbis, Clerics etc I gurantee all take their beliefs very seriously just like someone in a musical genre or the world of ethics etc can take their beliefs very seriously. Pushing a point about belief systems and fictional religion is a very open ended point to push.

However, I can see what you are saying and don't want to start a personal debate with you, you have your own views and opinions and thats cool, I am just trying to show that you have to see that just because one may take issue with certain things doesn't mean that it can just be dismissed entirely. I am not a Satanist and I don't have a whole lot of time for LaVey or his branch of Satanism and indeed there are issues with it, but I don't write it off entirely. Oh and im not overly keen on existentialism.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
19.11.2009 - 15:21
TheBigRossowski
Written by Hellkommando on 19.11.2009 at 08:45

What religion isn't fictional, who says what religion is fictional and what religion isn't fictional? All all religion contains philosophy including Satanism! And don't offer any recomendations on what I should read, done plenty of existentialism for your information but ta for the attempted advice or cheap insult, I think if anyone needs to broaden their reading its you . The fact of the matter is every aspect of religion from Islam to Christianity, Hinduism and Satanism etc contain philosophy and philosophical elements. And people will always takes things they believe seriously, if for example one is Aristotelian about the notion of virtue and ethics then they will genuinely take it seriously and believe that Aristotle was right then say someone who is Kantian about ethics will genuinely believe that the Kantian account is right. Two different ethical accounts. yet both contain plenty of merit and I can see why people believe in them. Just because say I take issue with certain elements of Aristotelian thought does not mean I dismiss it entirely and just write off. People will believe what they want to believe because thats just how it is, for most people any belief that can "get them through the night" so to speak is good enough. Priests, Ministers, Rabbis, Clerics etc I gurantee all take their beliefs very seriously just like someone in a musical genre or the world of ethics etc can take their beliefs very seriously. Pushing a point about belief systems and fictional religion is a very open ended point to push.

However, I can see what you are saying and don't want to start a personal debate with you, you have your own views and opinions and thats cool, I am just trying to show that you have to see that just because one may take issue with certain things doesn't mean that it can just be dismissed entirely. I am not a Satanist and I don't have a whole lot of time for LaVey or his branch of Satanism and indeed there are issues with it, but I don't write it off entirely. Oh and im not overly keen on existentialism.

Ugh, how do I make my point brief. Kudos for you for reading. You've also entered perhaps a ''deeper'' philosophical realm, that being truth. Most Christians and Muslims take parts of the bible seriously, Jesus Christ and Muhammed were probably real people, but did not perform really anything. Different sources wrote various things about them. Their existence as prophets is disputable, but as real people? That makes them non-fictional. Satan is perhaps a real thing too... but more of a fictional character of the Abrahamic Religions.

And you ENTIRELY missed my point. That sucks, but what sucks even more is that I looked on wikipedia and there is actually a branch of atheistic satanism, unfuckingbelievable! My point is not against Luciferian-type Satanists, but these other fucking amateurs.

I'm not an atheistic Sauronist (because I dig Sauron), nor an atheistic Voldemortist (Voldemort is damn evil and cool too), so why the FUCK would anyone be an atheist and apply the term Satanism too it? No reason, at least no good reason. So, Satanists who don't believe in SATAN...could go on with their lives without this pathetic attachment to the word, right?!
----
19.11.2009 - 15:40
Hellkommando
Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.11.2009 at 15:21

Written by Hellkommando on 19.11.2009 at 08:45

Ugh, how do I make my point brief. Kudos for you for reading. You've also entered perhaps a ''deeper'' philosophical realm, that being truth. Most Christians and Muslims take parts of the bible seriously, Jesus Christ and Muhammed were probably real people, but did not perform really anything. Different sources wrote various things about them. Their existence as prophets is disputable, but as real people? That makes them non-fictional. Satan is perhaps a real thing too... but more of a fictional character of the Abrahamic Religions.

And you ENTIRELY missed my point. That sucks, but what sucks even more is that I looked on wikipedia and there is actually a branch of atheistic satanism, unfuckingbelievable! My point is not against Luciferian-type Satanists, but these other fucking amateurs.

I'm not an atheistic Sauronist (because I dig Sauron), nor an atheistic Voldemortist (Voldemort is damn evil and cool too), so why the FUCK would anyone be an atheist and apply the term Satanism too it? No reason, at least no good reason. So, Satanists who don't believe in SATAN...could go on with their lives without this pathetic attachment to the word, right?!

No I didn't miss your point at all, and yes their is atheistic Satanism, LaVey's system is largely atheistic as you may remember I posted earlier in this thread that philosophically LaVey was rather poor. I see what you are saying, what I am doing is simply trying to draw your attention to my point. Yes I am well trained in the philsophical discipline and its methods and just a tip as I can tell you are a bright guy and totally respect that. but when you are creating an argument in a philosophical sense you need to make sure the axioms are very specific and on the money, which is why I may have missed a little of what you are saying. What I do have sympathy for is your point about atheistic Satanism but all I am saying is that it works for some people whether you agree with it or not. I however do agree with you here about that so all good dude!
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
23.11.2009 - 15:10
TheBigRossowski
Damn, I still stick to the rational thought that a non-theistic Satanism is useless...but just realized there is also a branch of atheistic Christians.

Time to go to the Christianty thread, lol.
----
24.11.2009 - 17:21
Ginnung
Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.11.2009 at 13:55

It's like saying, I'm an Atheistic Deist for fucksakes! What's the point of being a LaVeyan Satanist if you don't really believe in deities anyways? I mean, Satanists who believe in God and the Devil, kudos to those guys! At least they believe in something, but taking the name ''Satan'' and just applying it to a philosophy is downright ridiculous.

Hehe, what? I've never wrote anything about Laveyism and I would never speak about it related to esoteric traditions. I talked about a theistic Satanistic order, namely TOTBL, and I don't understand why you put the business man Lavey into the picture...
25.11.2009 - 13:32
TheBigRossowski
Written by Ginnung on 24.11.2009 at 17:21

Hehe, what? I've never wrote anything about Laveyism and I would never speak about it related to esoteric traditions. I talked about a theistic Satanistic order, namely TOTBL, and I don't understand why you put the business man Lavey into the picture...

What the fuck are you talking about? I only quoted you because your age is set to zero.
----
27.11.2009 - 00:23
Ginnung
Written by TheBigRossowski on 25.11.2009 at 13:32

Written by Ginnung on 24.11.2009 at 17:21

What the fuck are you talking about? I only quoted you because your age is set to zero.

Well mister, this is "what the fuck" I am talking about:

- "Unfortunately your input lack substance. Why on earth do you get so indignant by other people's personal matter, in this case Satanistic philosophy?"

- "It's like saying, I'm an Atheistic Deist for fucksakes! What's the point of being a LaVeyan Satanist if you don't really believe in deities anyways? I mean, Satanists who believe in God and the Devil, kudos to those guys! At least they believe in something, but taking the name ''Satan'' and just applying it to a philosophy is downright ridiculous."