Metal Storm logo
Satanism

Original post

Posted by Sunioj, 24.08.2006 - 16:14
Satanism, from contemporary individualism to the sub categories of MLO and left hand path...
Plain and simple, what do you all think about it?

Im curious to hear people share thoughts and ideas of this philosophy and let me start by saying that contemporary Satanism is very interesting since it focuses on building oneself spiritually.

Lets take an example like Jon Nodveidt's recent decision to end his life....
He killed himself and his band claims it was a ritual suicide, does this make his form of Satanism a religion because it has rituals or is MLO another form of interpreting Satanism?
10.07.2008 - 22:41
Conservationist
"Satanism" isn't a philosophy; "materialism" is the philosophy, just like in "Objectivism."
18.07.2008 - 13:03
belisarius
Written by Conservationist on 10.07.2008 at 22:41

"Satanism" isn't a philosophy; "materialism" is the philosophy, just like in "Objectivism."

since they believe that magic is possible, it isn't materialism. materialism says that matter creates the mind, but magic states that the mind can influence matter, so they are actually opposites.
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
19.07.2008 - 21:19
Conservationist
Written by belisarius on 18.07.2008 at 13:03

Written by Conservationist on 10.07.2008 at 22:41

since they believe that magic is possible, it isn't materialism. materialism says that matter creates the mind, but magic states that the mind can influence matter, so they are actually opposites.

Depends on which Satanic group you follow, but stating that mind can influence matter is not necessarily unmaterialistic. The end goal is matter; not mind and matter as something with a common language. It has the most in common with dualism, of which the predominant form is... you guessed it... Christianity.
17.08.2008 - 04:08
El Vikingo
Written by Guest on 01.06.2008 at 02:02

Satanism, not criticising it, but truthfully, it is the most effortless and easiest belief system to follow, because THERE IS NO EFFORT.

Sorry dude, but this statement proves that you know nothing about Satanism. Most people who procalaim to be Satanists don't either, so don't go asking around.

Being a Satanist is actually about the hardest thing in the world. We're a discriminating bunch.
----
"The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
17.08.2008 - 05:41
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by El Vikingo on 17.08.2008 at 04:08

Written by Guest on 01.06.2008 at 02:02

Satanism, not criticising it, but truthfully, it is the most effortless and easiest belief system to follow, because THERE IS NO EFFORT.

Sorry dude, but this statement proves that you know nothing about Satanism. Most people who procalaim to be Satanists don't either, so don't go asking around.

Being a Satanist is actually about the hardest thing in the world. We're a discriminating bunch.

I can't ask around, in Bahamas the Satanist population is like zero lol.

and I don't understand what you mean about I don't get it, Satanism is man-centered to the extreme and doesn't try to overcome any desires......but they indulge as opposed to abstaining.
21.08.2008 - 05:30
El Vikingo
I still think that you've only done a very rudimentary study of Satanism.

Nugget #1 - "Satanism demands study, NOT worship."

Nugget #2 - "The watchword of Satanism is INDULGENCE instead of 'abstinence' ... BUT - it is not 'compulsion.'"

I hope that helps.
----
12.10.2008 - 04:22
GodlessOne
Hello, I am a satanist and have been one for about a year and after see all conversation with in this topic, it seems there are alot of people who cannot fully understand satanism because of materialism and christianity. Our entire lives have been altared away from satanism because of satanism itself. When the late great Anton La Vey introduced the satanic bible it was only a western american intepretation satanism, the left hand path, and adversary-ism isnt from christianity its from raw paganism. Satanism as practiced by the church is a very correct path for individuals in following themselves but not much of the history is mentioned because its a choice to look to the past. Someone said satanist and ism has not looked to the future when infact satanism is only based in the future. Now what do you have to say? Rege Satanas! Ave Satanas! Hail Satan and hails Thyself!

Remember you dont have to say anything there is no controll nor right or wrong.
----
Sometimes I stay awake waiting for somthing and realize its time to rest..., - Chase Srozinski
26.11.2008 - 07:17
laid2rest
Account deleted
I am not a satanist and know very little about the religion it's self. However, I am Christian (Catholic, to be exact) and alot of Christians have a problem with Satanists. I don't have a problem with people being satanists. As long as they're not burning down churchs like in Norway, I don't mind. They're just another religion in a world of supossed 'religious freedom'. Yet, there is a lot of descrimination toward them. I would actually find it quite interesting to learn about satanism. And I said before, as long as they're not trying to break down Christianity, I'm all good;)

If I'm wrong about any of this, feel free to correct me
01.12.2008 - 17:54
Dr Rockso
Account deleted
Not sure if im in the wrong section here but could anyone tell me the meaning of the word OV intead of OF???
13.12.2008 - 12:09
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.12.2008 at 17:54

Not sure if im in the wrong section here but could anyone tell me the meaning of the word OV intead of OF???

To my knowledge, Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth, were the first to use it. Here are the links to their official site, and the Wiki article about them.

http://www.ain23.com/topy.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thee_Temple_ov_Psychick_Youth

In 2008 they evolved into Autonomus Individuals Network, if I'm not mistaken:

http://ain23.com/index23.html
13.12.2008 - 21:17
Yossarian
Hi,

It is really difficult for me to believe that black metal fans really believe in Satanism.
With a kind of music like metal in general -not only Black- it fits better to speak about Satan, Hell and the like than little flowers and caring girlfriends...
Metal is entwined with mystery and savagery. That is why it fits.

However, the first bands touching these themes in their lyrics -Venom, Slayer and Bathory- really did it for style, not for belief. They wrote about that, but didn't burn churches and the like. You can interpret many lyrics dealing with Satan as poetical metaphors. "Hell" will be "society" and "satan" the saviour, the one that will free us from the compulsory rules.
Then, fucking hell, I can't comprehend that some have murdered, destroyed and killed themselves in the name of Satan, of something that does not exist. Anyway, it is not so pitiful and outrageous like Christiany, or better, Catholicism with Inquisition, Holy Wars and the like.
As you may have inferred now, I am an atheist, or rather, an agnostic. I would like to believe in a superior intelligence, but can't. Anyways, if heaven and hell were to exist, I would not take any sides. I will despise the rules of Christ but would not choose the "bad" either. How can somebody give his-her back to the Deceiver?.
I actually don't believe in anything now -even spirits- and... I have indeed tried to contact them when I was younger to no avail.

Well,
Bye
07.01.2009 - 05:05
GodlessOne
Well satanism my friend isn't doing well in terms of understanding, because of the church burnings however I do support these actions. I do not tell anyone to believe in anything but if they do why should I give a fuck, right? Yossarian I can asure you that anyone who proclaims themselves to be a satanist is also an atheist thats the very core of satanism. The image of satan is purly symbolic having no belief in what it is more so what it represents. Another thing to address satanism in Norway has taking in Norse mythology so hundered of years of tension has built the resault of chruch burnings, nether sides have been kind to one another. I suggest no study in that however because it's more then a headache the Catholic chruch has covered up and altered that more then most could imagine.

Hail thyself!
God B. less
Hail satan!
----
Sometimes I stay awake waiting for somthing and realize its time to rest..., - Chase Srozinski
21.01.2009 - 18:01
Italics
Written by El Vikingo on 21.08.2008 at 05:30

Nugget #2 - "The watchword of Satanism is INDULGENCE instead of 'abstinence' ... BUT - it is not 'compulsion.'"

I hope that helps.

I think the reason that nobody here seems to have the "correct" perception to you of Satanism is because it's such an unstable and diverse belief.
You can't pin it down to just one thing. This is why, as you say, even many satanist's don't know what they believe... because, well... they have no idea what they believe!
I would normally assume that you don't either, but I could be wrong.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
21.01.2009 - 18:04
Italics
Written by GodlessOne on 07.01.2009 at 05:05

Well satanism my friend isn't doing well in terms of understanding, because of the church burnings however I do support these actions. I do not tell anyone to believe in anything but if they do why should I give a fuck, right? Yossarian I can asure you that anyone who proclaims themselves to be a satanist is also an atheist thats the very core of satanism. The image of satan is purly symbolic having no belief in what it is more so what it represents. Another thing to address satanism in Norway has taking in Norse mythology so hundered of years of tension has built the resault of chruch burnings, nether sides have been kind to one another. I suggest no study in that however because it's more then a headache the Catholic chruch has covered up and altered that more then most could imagine.

Hail thyself!
God B. less
Hail satan!

Going through a quarter-life crisis lately?
----
22.01.2009 - 01:07
GodlessOne
Written by Italics on 21.01.2009 at 18:04

Written by GodlessOne on 07.01.2009 at 05:05

Hail thyself!
God B. less
Hail satan!

Going through a quarter-life crisis lately?

Yes, but what are you asking?
----
03.02.2009 - 01:17
El Vikingo
Written by Italics on 21.01.2009 at 18:01

I hope that helps.

I think the reason that nobody here seems to have the "correct" perception to you of Satanism is because it's such an unstable and diverse belief.
You can't pin it down to just one thing. This is why, as you say, even many satanist's don't know what they believe... because, well... they have no idea what they believe!

It is absolutely not an "unstable and diverse belief." The foundation of the religion is in The Satanic Bible and the principles outlined in that book are what makes up Satanism. Saying that Satanists don't know what the believe is simply idiotic.

...however, there are also quite a lot of idiots who call themselves Satanists who have no idea what that label truly means. I would guess that those are the kinds of people that you are talking about. Genuine Satanists are a rarity, but they exist and the only way to know one when you see one is to STUDY SATANISM. There are eight ESSENTIAL books that must be read in order for a person to have a genuine grasp on Satanism and the Church of Satan. Five are by Anton Szandor LaVey, two are by Dr. LaVey's longtime companion Blanche Barton, and one is by the current High Priest Peter H. Gilmore.
----
03.02.2009 - 17:33
Italics
Aah, yes, the devil wants you to be happy and successful.
Man, are you in for a letdown
----
05.02.2009 - 02:27
bard
Written by El Vikingo on 03.02.2009 at 01:17

Written by Italics on 21.01.2009 at 18:01

I hope that helps.

It is absolutely not an "unstable and diverse belief." The foundation of the religion is in The Satanic Bible and the principles outlined in that book are what makes up Satanism. Saying that Satanists don't know what the believe is simply idiotic.

...however, there are also quite a lot of idiots who call themselves Satanists who have no idea what that label truly means. I would guess that those are the kinds of people that you are talking about. Genuine Satanists are a rarity, but they exist and the only way to know one when you see one is to STUDY SATANISM. There are eight ESSENTIAL books that must be read in order for a person to have a genuine grasp on Satanism and the Church of Satan. Five are by Anton Szandor LaVey, two are by Dr. LaVey's longtime companion Blanche Barton, and one is by the current High Priest Peter H. Gilmore.

I think what Italics was getting at was that Satanism extends beyond LaVeyan Satanism. Sure, LaVey may have had some interesting philosophical views on Satan and all sorts of allegories that that concept could represent present within and without one's self, but Satan has been both embraced and studied long before LaVey...I mean, that philosophy is what, like fifty years old? The concept of Satan and the Grigori have been tossed around beyond the scope of history, and the religion has developed all sorts of vestigial facets. Once you step outside of the Satanic Bible and into the realm of theological Satanism rooted in a quagmire of questionable apocrypha things become unclear, simply because the idea of a Satan has been evolving for so long that it is impossible to discern the initial culture that spawned it (perhaps because his existence either predates mankind or is manifested in an inherent archetype.) Therefore, if one would be interested in studying or worshiping Satan (as a spiritual figure, not as an allegory) they would end up having to chose between not just the various Abrahamic religions' versions of the figure, but also between any of the other etymological perceptions, in terms of folk-lore and culture. Guessing a Satan worshiper's dogma is just as difficult as pinpointing the dogma of a worshiper of the Abrahamic God; there are just too many muddled branches. Saying that the Satanic Bible is the foundation of Satanic belief is like saying that the Book of Mormon is the foundation of belief in God; they are just a stepping stone in a long line of religious progression, and both are seen as irrelevant by the religions that preceded them.

I don't really run into many Satanists, and when I do they are either casual people curious about something dark and mysterious or people who are interested in the power of mankind, specifically our ability to create our own truths and destinies. The latter I don't mind simply because they tend to stay out of other people's business, but the first group often try to explain to me how God is abusing mankind and base their theories on apocrypha...
----
11.02.2009 - 23:08
ForeverDarkWoods
Satanism does extend beyond LaVeyan satanism. In fact, it has been intellegently argued that LaVeyan satanism isn't even satanism at all, and that the title of real satanists should be reserved for the theistic sects. Of the theistic sects, I have come across two major ones.

Current 218/Temple Of The Black Light/The Misanthropic Luciferian Order:

The Current 218 is a weird sect dedicated to the destruction of the universe through black magic, through what they call "the anti-cosmic endeavor". The Current 218 has many incarnations, the biggest and most acknowledged one is the MLO (which later changed into the Temple Of The Black Light), but which only claims to be a smaller part of the larger organisation called Current 218. This sect has a number of scriptures out, but the one that I have actually read is Liber Azerate (during the time when it was availible as a free pdf on the MLO website). Most of these criptures are reserved for the members of the sect though. The Temple Of The Black Light is also based here in Sweden, and has strong ties to the orthodox Swedish black metal scene, involving bands such as Dissection, Ofermod, Watain and Arckanum.

For more info about this sect: http://templeoftheblacklight.net/

The second one, the Order Of Nine Angles, is an even weirder and even more obscure sect that may or may not even have existed at all (though their writings certainly do exist). It is dedicated to living your life in Satan's image, and working magically to evolve your being to a stage where you can actually merge with Satan and thus "become one with his glory". This sect has been very silent for a time now (the last material that's rumoured to be "official" is from 2004 I believe), and it has been doubted that this sect is even real. There have, nonetheless been some smaller sects of more or less importance that have been highly influenced by the ONA scriptures. The three most important scriptures of the sect are The Black Book Of Satan (an introduction as well as a description of how to perform various rituals, how to tend to satanic temples and a bit of such things), Hostia (the philosophical part about how to live your life and such) and Naos (describing the way magic works, according to the ONA). The main aim of an ONA satanist is to improve oneself to inhuman standards, to always test one's abilities and to always reach for new heights in the aim of becoming one with Satan. They are also completely ruthless in the way they do this, condoning ritual murder (human sacrifice) and acts of random terrorism just to test and improve the resolve of their followers. The scriptures are actually quite fascinating, and if anyone wants them I'm able to provide them as I should still have pdfs from the time when I was seriously interested in the more theistic aspects of satanism. ONA has no known connection to black metal.

More ONA info here: http://camlad9.tripod.com/ (about as much of an official site as you can get from these guys)

I'm not a theistic satanist, but I tend to find theistic satanism to be quite interesting (with these two sects standing out), a lot more so than LaVeyan satanism in fact. LaVeyan satanism has always seemed shallow and uninspired to me, as I've read most stuff about that as well (as well as the material from their daughter sect, the Temple Of Set). I guess darker, esoteric religions are just something that interests me generally.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
27.02.2009 - 23:18
jd-inflames
Account deleted
It's hard to believe how many satanists are out there. Never once have I even considered that the way to go, hell, I don't even believe in Satan, but I am one to not bash others for the things they believe in. The main reason I'm even posting in here is the connection between Metal and satanism, and how I feel it has really put a bad name to nearly the whole genre. Again, not trying to discriminate upon peoples beliefs, but I was reading a few opinions in this thread, and the connections between the two, and it really kinda got me a bit ill.
28.02.2009 - 14:28
Sunioj
Great post above the one above me tbh. I actually never heard of the order of nine angels till now.

Written by Guest on 27.02.2009 at 23:18

It's hard to believe how many satanists are out there. Never once have I even considered that the way to go, hell, I don't even believe in Satan, but I am one to not bash others for the things they believe in. The main reason I'm even posting in here is the connection between Metal and satanism, and how I feel it has really put a bad name to nearly the whole genre. Again, not trying to discriminate upon peoples beliefs, but I was reading a few opinions in this thread, and the connections between the two, and it really kinda got me a bit ill.

I actually since the inception of this thread, have been trying to steer the connection between black metal and satanism away because I think it is irrelevant to the subject itself. However, that is the first place that metalheads think about when they think about Satanism.

I also want to convey, a thought that has been reflected here many times, that Satanism isn't just about worshiping the evil 'xian god'. But its also a way of life and perception. Some people probably live their lives with Laveyist Satanist ideals and not even be aware of it. That because Satanism is IMO, nothing new. It has the most humanistic principles with things that brings understanding to the human condition.

Aside from Lavey, we also have Chaos Gnosticim that is a form of a Satanism. Not that I want to bring up black metal, but if you've ever seen interviews of members of Watain or Dissection, they explain it the best. I think even with my explanations, people found it rather vague. When you think Satanism, you obviously think that is has something to do with the xian Satan, right? Partially true.

But I think its very simple, you have representations of chaos, death, in many forms of paganism, and religions. And this is what is worshiped, not the fact that you are praising something that goes against the christian god, but the balance of life in general, and the facades of human establishments. In some ways, this is kind of close to Laveyism, but the fact that we have theistic entities and icons from many cultures such as Babylonian (tiamat), Hellenic (Hecate, persephone), and Hindu (maha kali) make it far different.
11.03.2009 - 01:14
Toast
Account deleted
I think Satanism is a very interesting religion, and though i'm not very knowledgable about it I think it's definetly worth checking out (much more so then any other religion).

While most religions seem to act as control mechanisms for their followers, Satanism seems to be about fullfilling your life and not caring about your "afterlife" (if you even believe in such a thing...). That's what I do on a day to day basis haha, so I think i'll be looking into this.
14.03.2009 - 14:19
Hyvaarin

The main reason I'm even posting in here is the connection between Metal and satanism, and how I feel it has really put a bad name to nearly the whole genre.

[slightly off-topic]Metal is supposed to have a bad name and be seen as dangerous, ffs.[/slightly off-topic].
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
31.03.2009 - 06:18
Written by Hyvaarin on 14.03.2009 at 14:19

The main reason I'm even posting in here is the connection between Metal and satanism, and how I feel it has really put a bad name to nearly the whole genre.

[slightly off-topic]Metal is supposed to have a bad name and be seen as dangerous, ffs.[/slightly off-topic].

he speaks the truth HAIL SATAN! BURN CHRISTIANS!
29.04.2009 - 05:04
Zombie, M.D.
Written by Sunioj on 28.02.2009 at 14:28

Great post above the one above me tbh. I actually never heard of the order of nine angels till now.

I actually since the inception of this thread, have been trying to steer the connection between black metal and satanism away because I think it is irrelevant to the subject itself. However, that is the first place that metalheads think about when they think about Satanism.

I also want to convey, a thought that has been reflected here many times, that Satanism isn't just about worshiping the evil 'xian god'. But its also a way of life and perception. Some people probably live their lives with Laveyist Satanist ideals and not even be aware of it. That because Satanism is IMO, nothing new. It has the most humanistic principles with things that brings understanding to the human condition.

Aside from Lavey, we also have Chaos Gnosticim that is a form of a Satanism. Not that I want to bring up black metal, but if you've ever seen interviews of members of Watain or Dissection, they explain it the best. I think even with my explanations, people found it rather vague. When you think Satanism, you obviously think that is has something to do with the xian Satan, right? Partially true.

But I think its very simple, you have representations of chaos, death, in many forms of paganism, and religions. And this is what is worshiped, not the fact that you are praising something that goes against the christian god, but the balance of life in general, and the facades of human establishments. In some ways, this is kind of close to Laveyism, but the fact that we have theistic entities and icons from many cultures such as Babylonian (tiamat), Hellenic (Hecate, persephone), and Hindu (maha kali) make it far different.

What is the point in using the term Satanism if the entity which you worship is one older than the Abrahamic idea of Satan?
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
29.04.2009 - 11:42
Sunioj
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 29.04.2009 at 05:04

Written by Sunioj on 28.02.2009 at 14:28

What is the point in using the term Satanism if the entity which you worship is one older than the Abrahamic idea of Satan?

I always wondered this myself. I'm not sure where I read this, but I think its because its easier for us westerners to associate with since the christian Satan has a lot of characteristics that more foreign 'chaos' entities has in common with. Personally, I think 'chaos gnosticism' is a better term but 'satanism' is also more convenient.
30.04.2009 - 00:10
bard
Written by Sunioj on 29.04.2009 at 11:42

I always wondered this myself. I'm not sure where I read this, but I think its because its easier for us westerners to associate with since the christian Satan has a lot of characteristics that more foreign 'chaos' entities has in common with. Personally, I think 'chaos gnosticism' is a better term but 'satanism' is also more convenient.

I'd probably argue that 'chaos gnosticism' is a much more convenient term, given that the term Satanism would be a very inconvenient label to carry in most of the western world. If someone asked me about religion or belief systems and I started talking about Chaos Gnosticism I think most would be intrigued by the vagueness of it, as opposed to the ridicule and superficiality that is often associated with Satanism that I observe. The label would also steer away wannabe misfits who are only interested in the dark romantics associated with a name like Satanism. Maybe they just enjoy the adversity?
----
01.05.2009 - 22:57
Sunioj
Written by bard on 30.04.2009 at 00:10

Written by Sunioj on 29.04.2009 at 11:42

I'd probably argue that 'chaos gnosticism' is a much more convenient term, given that the term Satanism would be a very inconvenient label to carry in most of the western world. If someone asked me about religion or belief systems and I started talking about Chaos Gnosticism I think most would be intrigued by the vagueness of it, as opposed to the ridicule and superficiality that is often associated with Satanism that I observe. The label would also steer away wannabe misfits who are only interested in the dark romantics associated with a name like Satanism. Maybe they just enjoy the adversity?

I agree to some extent, yes. I think its important to be able to distinguish a brand of faith so that stereotypical connotations are not sustained. However, at the same time, I believe that most if not all forms of 'satanic belief' share some kind common spirit and agenda, to excel the individual, the ego, and evolution(which I admit, dont know em all, impossible). So its still kind of understandable, however chaos gnosticism does seem like a used topic in the music we might listen to, so I'm not sure if chaos gnosticism isn't 'popular' just yet.
05.05.2009 - 15:05
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
How exactly does the empowerment of the primal self beget spiritual growth?

Looking through the descending heirarchy itself you see a trove of beings who's "way" shows out to be a deal of power through might and force. In turn this usually is to accomidate the desires of the practitioner in return for something of the practitioner (depending on what was asked for dictates the "cost". Also the "cost" usually is something comming from the practitioner's being itself). When performing anything in regard to these beings/carrying out the magickal acts of this side of spirituallity is the "price" worth it in the end?

If the use of might & force is a consistant problem in the world and it actually causes more harm than good (in the long run especially) then in what way is that some form of spiritual growth for the practitioner?
----
06.05.2009 - 23:59
vikingman369
Pardon me for playing the "devil's advocate" (pardon my pun, satanists, but there needs to be another one made), but i doubt that it will be a religion until it tries to force its beliefs on others. but it won't because it's about choice.
----
"God it feels
Like it only rains on me" -- My World