Metal Storm logo
Non-Satanic Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Sulac, 14.09.2010 - 22:48
I apologize if this has been asked before, but what are some good, non-Satanic black metal bands?
Please don't write comments about how stupid it is not to listen to certain bands just because they're Satanic.
Some bands I've already heard that I've liked are Negator, Antestor, Cradle Of Filth (they're not terribly Satanic), Graveworm, and Frost Like Ashes and Bal-Sagoth. I'm particularly interested in symphonic black metal but I like straight-up stuff like Darkthrone as well.
Thanks!
24.12.2010 - 13:32
Vombatus
Potorro
Arckanum are an obvious choice. I'm not much into lyrics but I think they deal mainly with gnostic-chaos... Try the album "pppppppppp".

If "un-black" metal doesn't bother you, Horde is good stuff (Hellig Usvart has a raw second wave sound).
31.12.2010 - 16:08
Kitty
Immortal are pretty much non-satanic actually.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
31.12.2010 - 17:40
TheBigRossowski
Ugh, Hell Militia have almost NOTHING to do with satanism...man...
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
31.12.2010 - 17:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well if this thread has established anything it's that the majority of black metal is not Satanic, or at least most bands worth their salt tend not to bother with Satanic themes.
01.01.2011 - 02:56
KADGAR
Troll black metal: www.myspace.com/trollkallamik regards from spain!
----
www.sadixmo.com
03.01.2011 - 00:26
Axe Argonian
I forgot to mention another "non-Satanic" black metal band: Bathory. Stay away from the first two releases Bathory and The Return of..., for they're dripping with theatrical satanic references. However, from Under the Sign of the Black Mark and onward, the lyrics focus more on Norse mythology. While Under the Sign of the Black Mark is still dark, it's more mature lyrically and only features one questionable, cheesy devil reference ("13 Candles"), but beyond that song, the lyrics focus on other various themes.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
03.01.2011 - 15:35
RavenKing
Written by Axe Argonian on 03.01.2011 at 00:26

I forgot to mention another "non-Satanic" black metal band: Bathory. Stay away from the first two releases Bathory and The Return of..., for they're dripping with theatrical satanic references. However, from Under the Sign of the Black Mark and onward, the lyrics focus more on Norse mythology. While Under the Sign of the Black Mark is still dark, it's more mature lyrically and only features one questionable, cheesy devil reference ("13 Candles"), but beyond that song, the lyrics focus on other various themes.

"Enter The Eternal Fire" can be seen as satanic too, depending on the tolerance people have to dark lyrics.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.01.2011 - 01:23
Axe Argonian
Written by RavenKing on 03.01.2011 at 15:35

"Enter The Eternal Fire" can be seen as satanic too, depending on the tolerance people have to dark lyrics.

That may be so, but I respectfully disagree. I perceive the lyrics to that song as a story of a man who foolishly gives his soul to evil for earthly pleasures but needs to face the consequences when he finally dies. In no way does that song advocate Satan, for the punishment of hell is depicted as a horrific, undesirable experience.

That is just my perception of it, however.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
04.01.2011 - 01:34
RavenKing
Written by Axe Argonian on 04.01.2011 at 01:23

That may be so, but I respectfully disagree. I perceive the lyrics to that song as a story of a man who foolishly gives his soul to evil for earthly pleasures but needs to face the consequences when he finally dies. In no way does that song advocate Satan, for the punishment of hell is depicted as a horrific, undesirable experience.

I see it differently.

For me, the One who's waiting on the other side of the bridge who "calls his name" is Satan.
"The eyes in which the fire burn" are Satan's eyes.
He "stands in flames".
For me the "inferno of hate" is Satan's hate.

Your interpretation can be good too but I perceive the song differently.
Thinking about it, if you read Dante's inferno, I think you could also see him as Minos (the judge of the dead) and not Satan.
----
04.01.2011 - 01:59
Axe Argonian
Written by RavenKing on 04.01.2011 at 01:34

Written by Axe Argonian on 04.01.2011 at 01:23

I see it differently.

For me, the One who's waiting on the other side of the bridge who "calls his name" is Satan.
"The eyes in which the fire burn" are Satan's eyes.
He "stands in flames".
For me the "inferno of hate" is Satan's hate.

Your interpretation can be good too but I perceive the song differently.
Thinking about it, if you read Dante's inferno, I think you could also see him as Minos (the judge of the dead) and not Satan.

If there's anything to agree with, it is that music interpreted in various ways is most certainly well-written music.

I hadn't considered the Dante's Inferno reference, but that's most applicable too.
----
04.01.2011 - 06:27
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
How bout some Carach Angren, Castevet, Wolves in the Throne Room, Krallice, Kampfar, Ludicra, and Wodensthrone to start you off?
04.01.2011 - 11:02
King Bonzo
It would probably be quicker to list bands that do adhere to the satanic themes and say avoid them. Seem's rarer and rarer these days. Only not worthy ones I can think of at the moment are gorgoroth and DsO.
04.01.2011 - 15:57
TheBigRossowski
Written by Sulac on 14.09.2010 at 22:48

I apologize if this has been asked before, but what are some good, non-Satanic black metal bands?
Please don't write comments about how stupid it is not to listen to certain bands just because they're Satanic.
Some bands I've already heard that I've liked are Negator, Antestor, Cradle Of Filth (they're not terribly Satanic), Graveworm, and Frost Like Ashes and Bal-Sagoth. I'm particularly interested in symphonic black metal but I like straight-up stuff like Darkthrone as well.
Thanks!

I've responded once here before, but after searching this topic through, I had to quote you because I have THE recommendation.

A Forest of Stars: Black metal with classical and psychedelic touches, very extraordinary band to say the least.

Check em' out, man.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
06.02.2011 - 18:10
Empyror
A Hill To Die Upon is a good non-satanic band if you like the Black/Death sound of bands like Behemoth or Belphegor.
06.02.2011 - 19:07
ANGEL REAPER
Non Satanic BM?Why?
BTW Bathory,Burzum hve nothing with satanism (mostly),Immortal,Dimmu Borgir(questionable),Hellhammer,Venom(theatrical)....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
06.02.2011 - 23:10
Panzerfaust
I can recommend Isolfur's "Pfad des Canis Lupus" as well as their Demo "Schrei des Wolfes". Both are petty damn great. Then there's Hellsaw, Permafrost & Hellfucked & Die Toten kehren wieder mit dem Wind. Latter make extremely good atmospheric BM.
----
Life's a fucking joke.
07.02.2011 - 03:21
Empyror
@Angel Reaper/ Yeah I completely forgot Immortal isn't satanic at all. All their lyrics are set in a fantasy world created by lyricist and former guitarist Demonaz. They get lumped in with the satanic bands cause they are from Norway and were coming up during the church burnings and what not.
07.02.2011 - 03:41
RavenKing
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.02.2011 at 19:07

BTW Bathory,Burzum have nothing with satanism (mostly)

Depends on what Bathory era you have in mind. Because early Bathory had its fair part of satanic lyrics and references.
Of course, if you refer to the Hammerheart-Twilight Of The Gods era, then there's nothing satanic about it but it is also not Black Metal.
----
07.02.2011 - 04:01
Empyror
And Dimmu Borgir are super satanic. Their last album In Sorte Diaboli I think translates to something like "in service to the devil". And let's not forget they are the band who wrote the song "Tormentor of Christian Souls." That doesn't leave a lot of questions in my mind.
07.02.2011 - 05:00
RavenKing
Written by Empyror on 07.02.2011 at 04:01

And Dimmu Borgir are super satanic. Their last album In Sorte Diaboli I think translates to something like "in service to the devil". And let's not forget they are the band who wrote the song "Tormentor of Christian Souls." That doesn't leave a lot of questions in my mind.

In Dimmu Borgir's case, I think the satanic imagery and lyrics is complete poserism and used only for the shock value, in order to appeal to angry teenagers. There's no way I can take this band seriously.
I see no artistic value in this band. Only selling out for the sake of money in every conceivable way.
Just look at how laughable their videos are and all the marketing shit around this band. They're always seeking for attention.
----
07.02.2011 - 11:30
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Empyror on 07.02.2011 at 04:01

just because people trying to look satanic/evil and such that that dont mean that I have to consider them a true satanists ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
07.02.2011 - 11:31
ANGEL REAPER
Written by RavenKing on 07.02.2011 at 03:41

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.02.2011 at 19:07

BTW Bathory,Burzum have nothing with satanism (mostly)

Depends on what Bathory era you have in mind. Because early Bathory had its fair part of satanic lyrics and references.
Of course, if you refer to the Hammerheart-Twilight Of The Gods era, then there's nothing satanic about it but it is also not Black Metal.

Yes I know ,but it is not a big deal about it ....
----
08.02.2011 - 00:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
American band Bound by Entrails from Alaska and there was one band lile BM version about Agalloch lyrics about nature they use album cover nature pics but I cant remeber name now

EDDIT: Deafest from USA awesome abnd check it out
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.05.2011 - 21:00
Sulac
Borkanagar is fairly good, as well. Same with Chthonic, and Austere (depressive black)
18.05.2011 - 17:06
jazar94
Written by Kitty on 31.12.2010 at 16:08

It's very true. Most of Immortal's lyrics deal with a fantasy land that the vocalist created while walking through the forests around his home. Extremely non-satanic. Dark, yes, but not satanic. Granted, they were in the circle of Netherland bands that burnt churches back in the mid 90's, but they didn't participate in those activities much until after they split up.
18.05.2011 - 17:09
jazar94
Also, early Burzum WAS satanic oriented, but he just writes about Paganism now. He was one of the main people burning churches back in the '90s lol.

HAIL VARG VIKERNES! (I think I spelled that right..)
23.05.2011 - 17:18
Sammol
Immortal. it's the most unserious black metal band I know. Abbath is Mikael Akerfeldt of Black Metal.
23.05.2011 - 22:19
Winterthrone
Written by jazar94 on 18.05.2011 at 17:06

It's very true. Most of Immortal's lyrics deal with a fantasy land that the vocalist created while walking through the forests around his home. Extremely non-satanic. Dark, yes, but not satanic. Granted, they were in the circle of Netherland bands that burnt churches back in the mid 90's, but they didn't participate in those activities much until after they split up.

Netherlands 6WTF? You mean Norway...lol
23.05.2011 - 22:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The black circle also went around burning down tulip fields and sticking their fingers in dikes... KLOGS AND HERRING IST KRIEG!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.05.2011 - 17:02
jazar94
Written by Winterthrone on 23.05.2011 at 22:19

Written by jazar94 on 18.05.2011 at 17:06

Netherlands 6WTF? You mean Norway...lol

Haha oops, my apologies.