Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
06.02.2015 - 21:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Author on 06.02.2015 at 19:32

The thing is that it ISN'T a re-recording. Its a re-release with a bunch of bonus live tracks.

Aight then, if you're for sure none of those tracks are re-recordings then yes, it needs to be removed. Add the bonus tracks to the original release with [b: 20XX re-release] and add the re-release info to the Additional info field. Please and thank you!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

06.02.2015 - 21:16
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Rsrdaman on 06.02.2015 at 09:03

Behemoth has returned to playing Blackened Death Metal. Shouldn't that be changed on their page now?

I haven't heard their last album in its entirety, but - based on what I've heard - I second this.
06.02.2015 - 22:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 06.02.2015 at 19:32

Written by psykometal on 03.02.2015 at 06:27

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.02.2015 at 04:01

We do for re-recordings, unless that's changed. I'd send him a PM.

Hasn't changed, we still accept re-recordings.

The thing is that it ISN'T a re-recording. Its a re-release with a bunch of bonus live tracks.

done
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.02.2015 - 23:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Borknagar - how about put also prog black, avant-garde, because its more complex ... those who know band understand
----

apos;'
[image]
07.02.2015 - 13:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Accept

Also known as Band X ('68-'76)

Formed in: 1968
Hiatus: 1989-1992
Hiatus: 1997-2005
Broke up: 2005-2009

1971-1996 Heavy metal
2004-2005 Heavy metal
2009- Heavy metal

MS line up is from 1971, style from 1971 ----
who was in Band X any body knows what line up they had? Marcel you?

to much unknown, and I don't wanna fix atm before there are no clear up new broke up rule in genres and line up
----

apos;'
[image]
07.02.2015 - 17:03
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 06.02.2015 at 23:16

Borknagar - how about put also prog black, avant-garde, because its more complex ... those who know band understand

Without a doubt, Borknagar's last album was prog black. I don't think that avant-garde would fit though...

Edit: also worthy to note that users seem to associate their style with a number of proggy bands as shown on the "similar artists" section on their profile as such:
- Vintersorg (15) (prog)
- Enslaved (13) (prog)
- Arcturus (9) (prog)
- Cronian (4) (prog)
- Solefald (3) (prog)
- Ulver (3)
- Bilocate (1) (prog)

After listening to snippets of all their previous albums and collating user/reviewer opinions on the matter, I think this would be the most appropriate way forward:
- Melodic black metal (1995-1996)
- Progressive black metal (1997-)

Progressive and melodic black don't really go well together seeing as the melodic aspect is sufficiently covered by the progressive tag.

Speaking of that particular issue...Xanthochroid's melodic black tag should be removed for the same reason.
07.02.2015 - 17:11
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I still don't get why you say that prog implies melodic. For me they are two distinct things. Especially when applied to black metal.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.02.2015 - 17:59
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Karlabos on 07.02.2015 at 17:11

I still don't get why you say that prog implies melodic. For me they are two distinct things. Especially when applied to black metal.

Can you name several prog black band that aren't melodic? While prog doesn't necessarily imply melodic tendencies, more often than not they come hand-in-hand. The staff have put measures in place to reduce redundancy in tagging bands. This would definitely contribute to that "clean-up."
07.02.2015 - 18:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't see how prog implies melodic either. "Melodic" metal and metal that has melodies are also not the same thing necessarily so simply naming prog bands with little melody means nothing. Most things have melody of some sort, and I don't think prog implies melody in any strict sense.
07.02.2015 - 18:44
Ilham
Giant robot
I think early Gojira is the proof you can be progressive [anything you want] without ever being melodic.
07.02.2015 - 19:24
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by LeKiwi on 07.02.2015 at 17:59

Written by Karlabos on 07.02.2015 at 17:11

Can you name several prog black band that aren't melodic?

Vediog Svaor, Drottnar, Imperial Triumphant, Galaktic Cancer Squad, perhaps some Johann Wolfgang Pozoj?
Written by LeKiwi on 07.02.2015 at 17:59

While prog doesn't necessarily imply melodic tendencies, more often than not they come hand-in-hand. The staff have put measures in place to reduce redundancy in tagging bands. This would definitely contribute to that "clean-up."

Well, often I agree, but that doesn't mean always. I think both tags are descritive, no need to take one of them out, I think. But then again I'm not staff =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.02.2015 - 19:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Borkanag is weird its not BM as Dimmi Borgir for example what is classic example of melo BM, Bor is more like Arcturs - 1th one album,
----

apos;'
[image]
07.02.2015 - 21:14
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Author on 07.02.2015 at 18:19

I don't see how prog implies melodic either. "Melodic" metal and metal that has melodies are also not the same thing necessarily so simply naming prog bands with little melody means nothing. Most things have melody of some sort, and I don't think prog implies melody in any strict sense.

I agree in that prog doesn't directly imply any propensity for melodic focus. That said, most prog black bands thoroughly augment their music with melody.

The melodic tag is quite vague seeing as melody is simply defined by a sequence of notes. However, there's an obvious difference between melody being part of the music and melody being the focus. You knew exactly what I meant you cheeky bugger
07.02.2015 - 21:17
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Given that no one else views the melodic black metal as constituent to prog black, I can think of dozens of bands that would require modification, namely Enslaved.
07.02.2015 - 21:31
Risto
Wandering Midget
Borknagar would be fine with adding progressive metal alongside melodic black, based on what I'm hearing on Urd. I was inspired by Barren Earth who have a similar treatment.
07.02.2015 - 21:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 07.02.2015 at 21:17

Given that no one else views the melodic black metal as constituent to prog black, I can think of dozens of bands that would require modification, namely Enslaved.

Implying that Enslaved are meloblack? I disagree. I agree that what meloblack actually is is vague but Enslaved to me do not share traits with what meloblack usually is on this site. Pretty sure an Enslaved album has never graced the Melodic Black section of the awards for example (not that this site is very consistent with what it puts in such categories). If I had my way melodic black metal would be abolished as a genre, along with post-black metal.
07.02.2015 - 21:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Risto on 07.02.2015 at 21:31

Borknagar would be fine with adding progressive metal alongside melodic black, based on what I'm hearing on Urd. I was inspired by Barren Earth who have a similar treatment.

I agree
----

apos;'
[image]
08.02.2015 - 00:46
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Author on 07.02.2015 at 21:34

Implying that Enslaved are meloblack? I disagree. I agree that what meloblack actually is is vague but Enslaved to me do not share traits with what meloblack usually is on this site. Pretty sure an Enslaved album has never graced the Melodic Black section of the awards for example (not that this site is very consistent with what it puts in such categories). If I had my way melodic black metal would be abolished as a genre, along with post-black metal.

I'd most certainly agree with the fact that Enslaved aren't melodic black. I was just trying to prove a point regarding the ambiguity of melodic ________.

Do you mean you would eradicate its use as a sub-sub-genre or all music categorised underneath that umbrella term?
08.02.2015 - 01:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 08.02.2015 at 00:46

I'd most certainly agree with the fact that Enslaved aren't melodic black. I was just trying to prove a point regarding the ambiguity of melodic ________.

Do you mean you would eradicate it's use as a sub-sub-genre or all music catergorised underneath that umbrella term?

As a way of categorising music I find most post-black can usually be lumped under prog black, more or less. Unless it's one of those post-metal bands with some black metal in.
08.02.2015 - 01:19
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Author on 08.02.2015 at 01:03

As a way of categorising music I find most post-black can usually be lumped under prog black, more or less. Unless it's one of those post-metal bands with some black metal in.

OK, I was just curious. I won't delve into that discussion regarding post-_____ though. It'll probably end up in a disagreement
08.02.2015 - 01:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 08.02.2015 at 01:19

OK, I was just curious. I won't delve into that discussion regarding post-_____ though. It'll probably end up in a disagreement

Probably wise damn these genre things
08.02.2015 - 01:21
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
My amended suggestion for Borknagar post the melodic black discussion:
- Melodic black metal (1995-)
- Progressive black (1997-)

Thoughts?
08.02.2015 - 01:23
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 07.02.2015 at 18:44

I think early Gojira is the proof you can be progressive [anything you want] without ever being melodic.

Speaking of Gojira, their tags need to be fixed as well. There's nothing vague death metal about them barring their first album.
08.02.2015 - 01:24
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by LeKiwi on 08.02.2015 at 01:23

Speaking of Gojira, their tags need to be fixed as well. There's nothing vague death metal about them barring their first album.

Haha did I just open Pandora's box?
08.02.2015 - 01:29
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 08.02.2015 at 01:24

Haha did I just open Pandora's box?

08.02.2015 - 01:37
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Seriously though...I would appreciate anyone's input on categorising Gojira.
08.02.2015 - 01:49
Ilham
Giant robot
I lol'ed, but I didn't want to post just to say that. I actually don't really know how else to call it? What do you suggest?
08.02.2015 - 01:54
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 08.02.2015 at 01:49

I lol'ed, but I didn't want to post just to say that. I actually don't really know how else to call it? What do you suggest?

Just writing what comes to mind as I skim their songs:
- groove thrash metal
- post-metal
- I'm out of ideas

Edit: I have more!
- technical (prog?) sludge metal
- death thrash metal
08.02.2015 - 02:05
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Actually, I just realised that Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals remind me of Gojira quite a bit and they're labelled as "groove sludge"...
08.02.2015 - 02:12
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Is Trepalium death 'n' roll or...groove death? This certainly isn't straight up death metal:

Can anyone else confirm that their debut is this groovy?