Metal Storm logo
Discuss Films You've Watched Recently (Spoilers Will Be Deleted)

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 13.01.2015 - 03:05
SWAT - Firefight
Nice modern film about modernized military type of SWAT team in Boston, like it, nice new film, nice woman in cop team
04.11.2023 - 23:30
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by F3ynman2000 on 04.11.2023 at 04:05

(and a sexy supporting actress)

Natasha Henstridge has a name. Also, you should probably check out Species (1995).
07.12.2023 - 15:57
Best Metalhead
Napoleon, best movie ever, only thing Napoleon in Hollywood made looking so emotional weak.
09.12.2023 - 08:28
Metal Rasputin
Heard lots of good stuff about the new Napoleon film, also heard Scott took a lot of liberties so people who want historical accuracy from their biopics might find it underwhelming.

My favourite depiction of the man is still the 1927 megalomaniac French version, accurate to the teeth and bombards you with so many innovative cutting and filming techniques it's entertaining just for the creativity alone, this was even supposed to be the first 3D film, but they decided it was too much for the time. Luckily they still had balls to include the massive widescreen epilogue where the film grows from one to three screens, they called it Polyvision, with the army Napoleon marching forward to victory. The real story behind film is one of the greatest ever, it was only supposed to be the first in a massive series of films, partly funded by the relatives of Napoleon and filmed in real locations with real stuff and all. Later lost, found and restored, but stuck in a legal battle, so it's rarely been shown or released physically, that's why nobody knows about this stuff.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
09.12.2023 - 17:25
Best Metalhead
Written by Metal Rasputin on 09.12.2023 at 08:28

Heard lots of good stuff about the new Napoleon film, also heard Scott took a lot of liberties so people who want historical accuracy from their biopics might find it underwhelming.

My favourite depiction of the man is still the 1927 megalomaniac French version, accurate to the teeth and bombards you with so many innovative cutting and filming techniques it's entertaining just for the creativity alone, this was even supposed to be the first 3D film, but they decided it was too much for the time. Luckily they still had balls to include the massive widescreen epilogue where the film grows from one to three screens, they called it Polyvision, with the army Napoleon marching forward to victory. The real story behind film is one of the greatest ever, it was only supposed to be the first in a massive series of films, partly funded by the relatives of Napoleon and filmed in real locations with real stuff and all. Later lost, found and restored, but stuck in a legal battle, so it's rarely been shown or released physically, that's why nobody knows about this stuff.

Does IMDb has your favorite above described movie stuff ?
10.12.2023 - 16:45
Metal Rasputin
Written by Best Metalhead on 09.12.2023 at 17:25

Yes.
----
11.12.2023 - 07:36
Best Metalhead
Written by Metal Rasputin on 10.12.2023 at 16:45

Yes.

Ok thanks.
11.12.2023 - 07:44
Best Metalhead
Written by Metal Rasputin on 10.12.2023 at 16:45

Yes.

Yea the movie you mention has napoleon emotionally very tough,.. I don't know which source is more closed to real Napoleon, anyway thanks.
01.01.2024 - 18:08
Metal Rasputin
The Color of Pomegranates (1968)

I knew this film was amazing, but I was still taken aback how great it is. Pomegranates is a surreal art film depicting the life of a legendary Armenian poet. Every scene is full of meaning and symbolism, it's actually pretty easy to watch if you're already familiar with this kind of films and Orthodox Christian tradition in general. Many artists depict their creative process and inspiration as something magical, ecstatic or even divine they cannot fully explain, and that's what the film is all about: mystery and inspiration. Here's a short clip.
----
02.01.2024 - 23:53
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Godzilla Minus One (2023)

Wow what a movie! I was told to see this movie as it's arguably the best movie of 2023. And, no kidding. It's the best by a large margin. Super emotional, powerful message, tragic (I literally cried three or four times during the movie), but I'm glad there was a happy ending. The Japanese know how to make impactful stories, that's for sure. Modern Hollywood needs to take some notes.
20.01.2024 - 13:57
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I found this website called Flickchart that creates a ranking of your favorite movies by pairing up "movie 1 vs movie 2" scenarios, and you have to pick one over the other. It works pretty well, I find. I would pretty much agree with my top 20 so far, for example:
https://www.flickchart.com/Charts.aspx?title=B7C91A08A4&user=Feynman
26.01.2024 - 14:01
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Tropic Thunder (2008):
Awesome meta movie about actors and cinema with a hilarious and extremely talented ensemble cast!
Hot Rod (2007):
Simple yet pretty unique story told in an absolutely hilarious and absurd way!
04.02.2024 - 06:28
Metal Rasputin
Phase IV (1974)
A very, very hard to find science fiction horror film directed by Saul Bass, a masterful graphic designer from too many classic Hollywood films to count. It's a story about a bunch of scientists studying strange behavior of ants. It is apparent that the evolution has taken a next step and these creatures have developed higher intelligence, taking over rural villages and building mysterious monoliths in the middle of a desert.

The climactic ending of this film is truly a sight to behold. In this scene we are shown a surreal dream of an ant, where Bass shows a vision of death and rebirth of mankind, man's relation to time, nature and cosmos from a perspective of an insect. I think Bass explained that this sequence is supposed to reveal us what the ants think and want from us, their whole "plan", and it's very ambiguous and left open whether it's a genuine or just deception. Back in the day some people thought it was too confusing and it was cut before release, but luckily few years back they found the footage and were able to restore the film to its original form.

Point Blank (1967)
A gangster gets struck by hitmen and loses his wife and money in the process. Surprisingly, he gets back in the business and aims to get his stuff back and execute the men who backstabbed and left him to die. He finds out that the city is run by this nameless and shadowy "Organization" and then there's this mysterious man helping him on his quest for apparently no reason at all. The way the film is edited and whole thing laid out makes it seem like the thing is just a disoriented fantasy or a dream, like maybe the man is really still dying and dreaming about his revenge. What it actually depicts is a man losing himself to the paranoid corporate world ridden with greed and materialism. What a brilliant frigging crime-thriller!
----
08.02.2024 - 20:28
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Airplane! (1980)
I think I prefer Naked Gun, but this one was hilarious—as expected! I really love their comedy style with the density of their jokes; there's a joke in almost every shot! To many moments to highlight, but, off the top of my head, I found the cockpit interactions with the little kid, the pilot, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar amazing; of course all those absurd flashback scenes; and all the recurring jokes. Man, there are just too many to name. It must be experienced!
11.02.2024 - 15:03
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
American History X (1998)
Powerful movie with a valuable message against hate—of any kind and from any side. Edward Norton plays this phenomenally
23.02.2024 - 21:41
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Well, as expected, it's a depressing, horrific war movie. But damn, the cinematography, the acting, the special effects, ... what a crazy monumental movie! From the funny surfer guy to the pits of a devilish cult, this movie takes you on an impactful journey, all right. The horror... the horror...
02.03.2024 - 11:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Ted 1&2

Seth is genius. What do you guys think?
02.03.2024 - 19:59
Metren
Dreadrealm
Dune: Part Two (2024)

Thank the God Emperor, this movie did not disappoint. For all its inevitable deviations from the book, the movie maintained the true spirit of Frank Herbert’s work, and even revered it. Dune: Part One always felt more like an appetizer than the first part of a grand meal. Part Two redeemed it. Hans Zimmer's songs for this one really resonated with me on an emotional level. Timothy Chalamet also won me over. From Frank Herbert's first book in the Dune Saga, two things will forever stay in my heart: the mind-blowingly epic yet believable ending, and the profound emotions evoked by the characters. The Dune characters captivate me like close friends, yet retain an enigmatic allure. It’s all very bittersweet. In my opinion, the Sci-Fi channel's "Children of Dune" got that feeling right, but Villeneuve's Dune: Part One missed the mark. Part Two, on the other hand, got it right. As expected, this movie is outstanding from a technical standpoint, but that's not what matters most to me. The reason I loved the film is because Denis Villeneuve accurately translated the feeling and atmosphere of Herbert's book. I couldn't cry during the final scenes because I could barely breathe.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
03.03.2024 - 06:47
Metal Rasputin
At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964)
This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse (1967)

Two classic horror films from Brazil, they're part of the same trilogy. It's like the whole thrash metal thing but in films: Hollywood used to be the king of professionally made fun, campy and safe horror flicks, when Brazilians on the other hand had these awesome filthy lo-fi films that kick ass. The main story follows this shadowy figure whose main quest is to find a perfect woman to impregnate and continue his bloodline. This man absolutely hates religion and all moral other than his own egoistic beliefs. Whoever tries to stop him, he terrorizes and destroys. The opening monologue of the first film alone is legendary.
----
06.03.2024 - 19:29
Metren
Dreadrealm
A week of free time gave me a chance to catch up on some movies.

May December (2023)

A film that was expertly made but left me feeling sick. It’s not a „feel-bad” movie, it’s a „feel ill” movie. All of the performances were outstanding. The soundtrack was appropriately odd, lacking any familiar chord progressions. 8/10

Emily, The Criminal (2022)

A remarkable crime thriller with allegorical elements. Possibly Aubrey Plaza’s best performance (I’ve not yet seen Ingrid Goes West). If you enjoyed Good Time (2017) with Robert Pattinson, you might like this film. It gives off a comparable vibe. 8.5/10

The Empty Man (2020)

Structurally, it's a mess; it almost seems like multiple films forced into one. However, there were many glorious moments. This film is unlike anything you would expect from its title or trailer. 7/10

Poor Things (2023)

The best Yorgos Lanthimos film and the best film of the decade, in my opinion. Although the story is a little strange, it's always entertaining and fast-paced. The cinematography and set design are truly exceptional, with visuals that are off the charts. The movie is a visual delight with beautiful shots in every scene. It's also hilarious, with plenty of laugh-out-loud dialogue. I doubt I could find any flaws in this masterpiece, even with my best effort. 10/10

Midsommar (2019)
Based solely on its visuals, Midsommar could easily be considered one of the top films of the 2010s. The movie left me in awe for most of its duration, particularly for the way it juxtaposed dark themes with vibrant and cheerful visuals. Unfortunately, the story became overly predictable and lacked originality in the second part. I still liked it a lot overall, though. 7.5/10

John Wick: Chaper 4 (2023)

Because I didn't watch Chapters 2 and 3, the sudden change from "that's pretty unrealistic" action in John Wick to over-the-top cartoon action in Chapter 4 caught me off guard. The movie is too long and the fight scenes drag on endlessly. It was only during the final third that I found the action enjoyable, as it reached a satisfactory level of absurdity. I got a real laugh from a scene featuring a character and stairs. If the movie was shorter and had more ridiculous action, I might have loved it. 5.5/10

The Zone Of Interest (2023)

Most likely, the winner for best sound at the 96th Academy Awards. It's difficult for me to go into specifics about it. It's a holocaust film that stands out for its uniqueness and high quality. I won't watch it again, but I absolutely recommend checking it out. 8/10

Top Secret! (1984)

If only the best jokes in this film hadn't been ruined by GIFs and short videos, I would have enjoyed it much more. Even so, it's a comedy that manages to deliver numerous imaginative gags. The jokes are the main focus, with the story serving as a backdrop. 7/10
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
11.03.2024 - 07:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
So I wrapped watching Oppenheimer last night and today I came to know they have won the oscar.

What do you guys think about winning the best picture?
11.03.2024 - 08:10
no one
One love

Say you want about reggae but you have to admit bob marley was an inspirational character. One of the biggest musicians in the world and he never went the way of excess money drugs and ego like pretty much every other big time musician. And say what you want about rastafarinism but he had positive message throughout his whole life, even if with all the shit going on in Jamaica, getting shot, abandoned, and the whole black repression and slave history. This isn't really showed in the movie but I find rastas in Jamaica back in the 60s 70s like more punk that punk, but somehow there outlet is positive relaxed music instead of angry. Maybe when your REALLY oppressed the last thing you want to feel or sing about is more anger.

The movie has had average reviews but I thought it was fine, just a spotlight on his life. I read the Bob marley book "so much things to say" once and you simply just couldn't capture the whole dramatic story in a movie, it would be a good series which could do about 8 seasons I reckon.
----
Unable to connect to the database
11.03.2024 - 15:06
Metal Rasputin
I think Oppenheimer is a 4/5 film and that is great, out of all the Hollywood films released last year it's easily the best one. So I think it deserved the oscar for the best picture.
----
12.03.2024 - 16:20
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 11.03.2024 at 07:05

So I wrapped watching Oppenheimer last night and today I came to know they have won the oscar.

What do you guys think about winning the best picture?

I'm not interested in the Oscars, but I don't think Oppenheimer was the best film of 2023. Poor Things was a lot better. Despite my enjoyment of Oppenheimer, I find Nolan's convoluted narratives and non-linear storytelling to be somewhat unsatisfying. His approach worked well in Memento and The Prestige because of their subject matter, but in Oppenheimer, a biopic, it becomes exhausting and occasionally irritating. By comparison, Poor Things was an outstanding story that had exactly the right amount of excitement and not a single tedious or bothersome moment.
----
13.03.2024 - 19:20
Metal Rasputin
Quatermass Xperiment (1955)
Quatermass 2 (1957)

Classic British scifi horror from the good old times. The first one is a very typical film for its time: there's an alien monster on loose and the authorities most stop this creature before shit hits the fan or something. Pretty basic, but well made. Quatermass 2 is where things get really, really good. This time human-resembling aliens intruders have infiltrated the British society and doctor Quatermass has to find a way to stop them before its too late. Of course, the aliens have taken over the key positions of society and the police and the army are in their pocket. This is like a classic episode from The X-files with all the paranoia and conspiracies. I also love how it's not simply about beating anyone using force, but more about battle of the wits.
----
30.03.2024 - 06:29
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Die Brücke (1959)

Really tragic, really well made war film showing German teenagers drafted into the horrors of combat of the last days of WWII. Impressively realistic with nice cinematography, special effects, and I was also astounded at the great acting of the seven lead teenagers. How come child actors can't be that convincing nowadays?