Depression (And Other Related Mental Illnesses)

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 14.12.2011 - 23:17
Due to the off-topic conversations in the love thread leading to talks of suicide, depression, angst, anxiety, and the likes...

This is your place to discuss your inner conflicts, share with others or simply give positive advice to people suffering. Reflect on past experiences, post your views on mental illnesses, share stories of family members who suffer from such illnesses - basically just keep it on topic.

/wrist
10.05.2018 - 01:01
Metren
Donkey Hotte
Written by VIG on 09.05.2018 at 18:34

I'm not a person who has times where I'm depressed (like for a month, week, day, etc.) and then is feeling better. I've just been depressed for the past year and a half.

I'm currently taking Abilify (aripiprazole) and Zoloft (sertraline) regularly and that's probably one of the reasons why I am feeling better. Have you been to a psychiatrist or tried anti-depressants of any kind? Sorry, if this is a too personal question...
----
I am not nor have I ever been a musician or a member of a one-man band, especially a band that has a name that starts with "D".
10.05.2018 - 04:43
VIG
Viggg
Written by Metren on 10.05.2018 at 01:01
Have you been to a psychiatrist or tried anti-depressants of any kind? Sorry, if this is a too personal question...

No, I really should.
24.08.2018 - 07:03
Lord Lanrac
So I only just recently learned what C-PTSD (Complex - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is. I also discovered that I more than likely may have been suffering from it my entire life but just went undiagnosed (and I still am). Though I have always shown signs of most of the symptoms, I would have dismissed this notion previously because ordinary PTSD is associated with War Veterans, and my country doesn't even have an army, I didn't know there were different forms of the condition........So apparently much of the anxiety that I get is an extension of the Traumatic Stress............I get Xanax off the streets (without prescription), which isn't recommended for C-PTSD, but like hell if I'm going to discontinue them At least I don't use them excessively........

But yes, Fuck all mental illnesses without exception!!
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
17.09.2018 - 19:03
Metren
Donkey Hotte
I've been feeling progressively more and more depressed in recent weeks to the point where it is hard to even begin to put into words just how uncomfortably numb and bored I feel. I am honestly losing my will to exist at this point. It's like there's a black hole inside my head sucking in everything that I once liked and enjoyed, as ridiculous as it sounds, it feels like my mind is collapsing in. I have no idea what to do, it seems the meds I've taken for years aren't really helping or at least not helping enough. I'm tired, just fucking tired of this crap.
----
I am not nor have I ever been a musician or a member of a one-man band, especially a band that has a name that starts with "D".
18.09.2018 - 14:43
Cynic Metalhead
Atrocious Virgin
Written by Metren on 17.09.2018 at 19:03

I've been feeling progressively more and more depressed in recent weeks to the point where it is hard to even begin to put into words just how uncomfortably numb and bored I feel. I am honestly losing my will to exist at this point. It's like there's a black hole inside my head sucking in everything that I once liked and enjoyed, as ridiculous as it sounds, it feels like my mind is collapsing in. I have no idea what to do, it seems the meds I've taken for years aren't really helping or at least not helping enough. I'm tired, just fucking tired of this crap.

Consult someone who might suggest you go for an alternative way which may help you to fight with your inner emotions. All I will recommend you to consult someone immediately.
----
19.09.2018 - 20:04
Metren
Donkey Hotte
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.09.2018 at 14:43

Consult someone who might suggest you go for an alternative way which may help you to fight with your inner emotions. All I will recommend you to consult someone immediately.

Feeling better today. Feeling downright hopeful. I was at a point where my wife suggested I go to a hospital just 2 days ago and now I am pretty much fine. This is weird...
----
20.09.2018 - 12:29
Cynic Metalhead
Atrocious Virgin
Written by Metren on 19.09.2018 at 20:04

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.09.2018 at 14:43

Feeling better today. Feeling downright hopeful. I was at a point where my wife suggested I go to a hospital just 2 days ago and now I am pretty much fine. This is weird...

It might sound weird but you can do Yoga.
----
26.09.2018 - 23:29
VIG
Viggg
I have been feeling so much better the past 2-3 months than I was before. Maybe I'm Bipolar?
27.09.2018 - 16:22
Zaph
The Nothingth
Written by VIG on 26.09.2018 at 23:29

I have been feeling so much better the past 2-3 months than I was before. Maybe I'm Bipolar?

If I recall correctly from the time they tried to categorize me as bipolar, the periods between mania and depression are much shorter. I could be wrong though. Are you just less unhappy, or abnormally happy? Could also just have to do with the fact that the last few months were summer. Loads of, if not most, people feel way better both mentally and physically in summer than winter.
----
And the tears that we will weep today
Will all be washed away
By the tears that we will weep again tomorrow
27.09.2018 - 16:40
VIG
Viggg
Written by Zaph on 27.09.2018 at 16:22

If I recall correctly from the time they tried to categorize me as bipolar, the periods between mania and depression are much shorter. I could be wrong though. Are you just less unhappy, or abnormally happy? Could also just have to do with the fact that the last few months were summer. Loads of, if not most, people feel way better both mentally and physically in summer than winter.

I was thinking it could have something to do with the weather actually. But I just feel abnormally happy, everything seems to be fine in life now, and it feels like I won't be depressed again although I probably will. A big reason I was insanely depressed from the end of 2017 to the beginning of 2018 was because my sophomore year of high school sucked and was an immense amount of stress, and I always hear junior year is gonna be worse.
27.09.2018 - 17:24
Zaph
The Nothingth
Written by VIG on 27.09.2018 at 16:40

I was thinking it could have something to do with the weather actually. But I just feel abnormally happy, everything seems to be fine in life now, and it feels like I won't be depressed again although I probably will. A big reason I was insanely depressed from the end of 2017 to the beginning of 2018 was because my sophomore year of high school sucked and was an immense amount of stress, and I always hear junior year is gonna be worse.

I have no clue about the USA school system, so is it summer break now, or are you in school at the moment? It seems like you were just feeling awful because of the stress from school, so if this year is less stressful or you're not in school, well then, of course you're feeling better right? In any case if you're feeling better I wouldn't worry (sounds like weird advice) but if you do start feeling depressed again, talk to someone about it asap (a professional, I mean.)
----
And the tears that we will weep today
Will all be washed away
By the tears that we will weep again tomorrow
27.09.2018 - 19:41
VIG
Viggg
Written by Zaph on 27.09.2018 at 17:24

I have no clue about the USA school system, so is it summer break now, or are you in school at the moment? It seems like you were just feeling awful because of the stress from school, so if this year is less stressful or you're not in school, well then, of course you're feeling better right? In any case if you're feeling better I wouldn't worry (sounds like weird advice) but if you do start feeling depressed again, talk to someone about it asap (a professional, I mean.)

I was gonna talk to a professional in like May or June, but then I started feeling better so I didn't get to it. I will go to them if I feel bad again. But yeah, I guess school is a big part of it and the stress. Here in Massachusetts, we go to school in very late August/early September, and get out either beginning or ending of June because we have so many snow days that must be made up haha.
04.11.2018 - 03:46
Lord Lanrac
Is anyone on this site familiar with an App called, Talkspace?

If so, do any of you have it?
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
25.06.2019 - 10:31
No one
Finally some validation for the deathly prison of antidepressant withdrawal https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/health/depression-withdrawal-drugs.amp.html an argument I had with Troy years ago. He's probably forgotten about it and pushing it those pills onto his social work clients. As for me I'm still battling them.
There is even a weekly podcast about it now.
28.06.2019 - 13:50
Netzach
Written by No one on 25.06.2019 at 10:31

Finally some validation for the deathly prison of antidepressant withdrawal https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/health/depression-withdrawal-drugs.amp.html an argument I had with Troy years ago. He's probably forgotten about it and pushing it those pills onto his social work clients. As for me I'm still battling them.
There is even a weekly podcast about it now.

Haven't tried any myself (not for real, I took mirtazapine for two weeks, but I got a bad feeling about it and decided to quit), but those of my friends who have all tell me that getting off them was such a pain that they wish they never began taking them at all. Might have helped them somewhat in a really bad period of life but I'm not seeing any happier faces than usual, so to speak.

Glad I decided to quit ahead. I'm already on a load of other medications, mostly related to mental health, and prescribed daily doses twice or thrice the recommended maximum, adding more to that wouldn't be good for anybody I think. (doesn't feel right to spill all the beans here if not asked to, I have no problem talking about it though)
----
What can change the nature of a man?