Metal Storm logo
Depression (And Other Related Mental Illnesses)

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 14.12.2011 - 23:17
Due to the off-topic conversations in the love thread leading to talks of suicide, depression, angst, anxiety, and the likes...

This is your place to discuss your inner conflicts, share with others or simply give positive advice to people suffering. Reflect on past experiences, post your views on mental illnesses, share stories of family members who suffer from such illnesses - basically just keep it on topic.

/wrist
03.07.2015 - 01:02
no one
Account deleted
Written by Belegûr on 02.07.2015 at 21:35

Written by Guest on 02.07.2015 at 21:31

Written by Belegûr on 02.07.2015 at 16:21

I take anti depressants for depression and anxiety, but I would never think it was the only way to solve the problem. Doctors always say that it's not a solution. It helps me have a bit more energy and gets me out of bed in the morning, so I can then exercise or do whatever. Anyone who takes an anti depressant and thinks depression will disappear is wrong surely?
What ones you on now, i cant get of the the fucking things

my wife's dad and his wife think anti depressants are the answer to life.

I suppose I can't speak for everyone. Some people probably feel completely different with them. I've had like 4 different types in the last year because they all had weird side effects. The side effect of one "feelings of depression" .... sigh haha

what ones you on now? i cant get off the fucking things
03.07.2015 - 01:21
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Guest on 03.07.2015 at 01:02

I take anti depressants for depression and anxiety, but I would never think it was the only way to solve the problem. Doctors always say that it's not a solution. It helps me have a bit more energy and gets me out of bed in the morning, so I can then exercise or do whatever. Anyone who takes an anti depressant and thinks depression will disappear is wrong surely?

I suppose I can't speak for everyone. Some people probably feel completely different with them. I've had like 4 different types in the last year because they all had weird side effects. The side effect of one "feelings of depression" .... sigh haha

Sertraline hydrochloride at the moment. Got the dosage upped a couple of months ago. You?
03.07.2015 - 03:05
no one
Account deleted
Written by Belegûr on 03.07.2015 at 01:21

Sertraline hydrochloride at the moment. Got the dosage upped a couple of months ago. You?

Effexor xr?demons drug
03.07.2015 - 15:03
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Guest on 03.07.2015 at 03:05

Written by Belegûr on 03.07.2015 at 01:21

Effexor xr?demons drug

Not been on that one. I was on Mirtazapine and it basically knocked me out for like 10 hours. They say the symptoms were improved. Of course they were, I was unconscious most of the time.
04.07.2015 - 09:41
no one
Account deleted
Written by Belegûr on 03.07.2015 at 15:03

Not been on that one. I was on Mirtazapine and it basically knocked me out for like 10 hours. They say the symptoms were improved. Of course they were, I was unconscious most of the time.

Never heard of those ones, i have been on flurox, citelapram,aropax and now effexor over the period of 11 years.

I hope those ones are ok to come off if you ever feel the need.
25.08.2016 - 22:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
It depresses me so much that I'm not much depressed these days.
26.08.2016 - 08:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by 3rdWorld on 25.08.2016 at 22:24

I'm not much depressed these days.

That's depression.
26.08.2016 - 19:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 26.08.2016 at 08:21

That's depression.

Not really. It feels like a state of depressive anhedonia.
26.08.2016 - 20:26
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by 3rdWorld on 26.08.2016 at 19:02

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 26.08.2016 at 08:21

That's depression.

As long as it's not harming to yourself, it's perfectly fine.

You know I don't get depression and want to know why? I believe in chronic wankery.
26.08.2016 - 22:48
no one
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 26.08.2016 at 20:26

As long as it's not harming to yourself, it's perfectly fine.

You know I don't get depression

clearly
27.08.2016 - 13:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So I was diagnosed (finally, at 32!) as ADHD last week. Probably get thrown on ritalin next week some time so intrigued to see what effect it has on me. I'll be one of them medicated lot. I'm still partly convinced it's actually temporal lobe epilepsy, which apparently causes inattentive behaviour, because of the weird deju vu shit and stuff I do in my sleep but nothing showed up in an MRI so guess it probably isn't that.

Not sure that falls under mental illness, more a disorder I guess. At any rate, if nothing else, I can now explain away why I'm such a lazy fucker.
27.08.2016 - 19:58
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 27.08.2016 at 13:23

So I was diagnosed (finally, at 32!) as ADHD last week.

Was there any significant reason you chose to have a diagnosis for?
27.08.2016 - 20:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 27.08.2016 at 19:58

The main reason was me flunking university badly. I know I have pretty above average reading comprehension but I could just never absorb the reading material. I would be distracted by any minor noise or thing, and would just end up reading whole sentences over and over and just never really being able to put together an essay. Weirdly I came top in my class at college but I was really into the course which I guess is why. If I'm interested in it then I'm fine, if I'm vaguely uninterested in it it's impossible for me to focus on it. I got diagnosed pretty easily because I was a bit of a nightmare as a child as I was considered hyperactive: I got kicked out of two schools because I was so impulsive and out and control. I calmed down in my teenage years but I guess that's when I became inattentive. Could never concentrate in class, etc.

Lots of other reasons too: have terrible memory for details; am useless at following verbal instructions; I zone out when my girlfriend is talking to me about her day; generally pretty disorganised at life, and so on.

I guess I'm lucky I never developed depression or anxiety as a result which is apparently pretty common.
27.08.2016 - 20:25
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^Wow, that definitely sounds lucky indeed.

I've been depressed ever since my earliest memory maybe because some of my earliest and strongest imprinted memories were entirely negative. Yeah but looking back, that's how my childhood was I guess.
27.08.2016 - 23:49
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 27.08.2016 at 20:06

I would be distracted by any minor noise or thing, and would just end up reading whole sentences over and over

If I'm interested in it then I'm fine, if I'm vaguely uninterested in it it's impossible for me to focus on it.

have terrible memory for details;

wow, I also have all that stuff :p

that's why I chose a graduation I was interested in, if I had picked something quite boring just for the money I think I'd never had succeeded.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.08.2016 - 00:02
no one
Account deleted

The main reason was me flunking university badly. I know I have pretty above average reading comprehension but I could just never absorb the reading material. I would be distracted by any minor noise or thing, and would just end up reading whole sentences over and over and just never really being able to put together an essay. Weirdly I came top in my class at college but I was really into the course which I guess is why. If I'm interested in it then I'm fine, if I'm vaguely uninterested in it it's impossible for me to focus on it. I got diagnosed pretty easily because I was a bit of a nightmare as a child as I was considered hyperactive: I got kicked out of two schools because I was so impulsive and out and control. I calmed down in my teenage years but I guess that's when I became inattentive. Could never concentrate in class, etc.

Lots of other reasons too: have terrible memory for details; am useless at following verbal instructions; I zone out when my girlfriend is talking to me about her day; generally pretty disorganised at life, and so on.

I guess I'm lucky I never developed depression or anxiety as a result which is apparently pretty common.

I don't think the zoning out when your girlfriend is talking about her day is part of the disorder

I know a few guys with adhd who reckon cannabis works better that Ritalin, it doesn't really seem to get them stoned either, but i think i remember you saying you don't get along with weed.

Strange that your a into drone, music that probably needs the longest attention span.
28.08.2016 - 00:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I'll still go on a record and say that Joe's condition is sign of normal behavior among many other people who diagnosed with OCD's and start hurting themselves. Time and again, when you pushing yourself in deep trouble, that's where you inviting a danger.

So far what Joe is diagnosed has been reached to the level where it's affecting his normal life(thus taking medication). What i've seen are those people who suffer from little bit disorder towards themselves/people/loved ones/life and they make these disorders normal events. Not been depressed but these events become their follow-up schedule in life and the great part is, they're happy in it. Not a single cent of any anxiety/depression/dejection/obliteration found to be in these people who live normal life.

Even though they went to psychologist counselor for assistance, they treated like a normal people with few issues. They never come to know that such kind of people been affected to disorders has normalize to their life.
28.08.2016 - 04:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.08.2016 at 00:02

I don't think the zoning out when your girlfriend is talking about her day is part of the disorder

I know a few guys with adhd who reckon cannabis works better that Ritalin, it doesn't really seem to get them stoned either, but i think i remember you saying you don't get along with weed.

Strange that your a into drone, music that probably needs the longest attention span.

I get that not everyone listens to their partner or whatever, but for me sometimes I really try to listen, like, be completely aware that I should be listening, but my mind just cuts out and before I realised it I've missed minutes of what she's says because I was thinking about something totally different :/

I actually think ambient stuff without structure is better for low attention span, because there's not specific details that need to be heard. I think things like funeral doom are the hardest because it's proper song structures but really drawn out. Probably very taste dependent too.

And yeah, I can't smoke weed at all. It puts me in a really weird state, even though I'm ok with hallucinogens like 2CB and LSD. ADHD is a weird thing though where stimulants supposedly calm down and help focus people with it, but I don't know how weed would interact with it. Probably heaps of forums about it though I imagine.
28.08.2016 - 04:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 27.08.2016 at 23:49

that's why I chose a graduation I was interested in, if I had picked something quite boring just for the money I think I'd never had succeeded.

Yeah I did film because I thought it would be fun, but it ended being lots of reading on politics and sociology and really pretentiously written critiques of films by critics that were clearly getting paid by the word. I can totally hyperfocus on something I enjoy, like conversations on here for example. Otherwise it's just an uphill struggle. I should have chosen something more practical and hands on really.
28.08.2016 - 04:38
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.08.2016 at 04:31

Yeah I did film because I thought it would be fun, but it ended being lots of reading on politics and sociology and really pretentiously written critiques of films by critics that were clearly getting paid by the word. I can totally hyperfocus on something I enjoy, like conversations on here for example. Otherwise it's just an uphill struggle. I should have chosen something more practical and hands on really.

Hyperfocus ...the distance from where things start to be focused?
28.08.2016 - 04:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.08.2016 at 04:38

Hyperfocus ...the distance from where things start to be focused?

Nah =P the opposite of inattentiveness, where a person will focus too much on one thing for too long. Every now and then I'll find a game where I'll play it for like 20 hours and think about nothing else. That kind of thing. I don't think it's just a trait of ADHD, but it's quite a common thing for those that do get it. Ironic really considering it's the opposite of what generally ADHD is about.
28.08.2016 - 11:21
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
If you want a different take on mental matters these two guys do offer some interesting read. Its not a easy read or ride but definentely worth it if you ever thought about normality or why some people get depressed and others dont.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madness_and_Civilization
This is probably more interesting for anyone with some diagnosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_and_Time
This is probably more interesting for those who are interested in the phenomenon of depression and angst.
28.08.2016 - 11:42
Mikolaj
Account deleted

Written by 3rdWorld on 27.08.2016 at 19:58

Now that I read your text I think I might have ADHD too. I have never made a diagnose but I had exactly the same problems (and still probably have) in school. I was always quite intelligent but somehow I could never absorb the whole learning material which was in school. I also get distracted very easily so that it often happens that I forget everything "important" which is around me. (its a bit better nowadays but it still happens occasionally). I also have major organization problems and my elementary school teacher at that time questioned If I ever would attend a higher school. Now that I'm in university I broke up one study already simply because I couldnt organize my time with learning and got distracted too easily. The thing is also that the subject wasnt always that interesting as I hoped and so I automatically couldnt pay attention to it as was needed. Things that interest me get my full attention (even too much I must say) but if something interests me just remotely less its like my brain suddenly turns off. I also just suck at verbal instructions and I'm probably always the last who understands a joke.

For about two month I'm using pills which help me to be more active, because I was such a lazy bastard before and it really helps me. I have a really good job at the moment and I do many things but the time organization is still a big problem for me. I begin a new study in october which interests me more than the last anyway and I really hope that I can do the best right from the beginning.
28.08.2016 - 12:32
Vombatus
Potorro
I took Ritalin a few times to get high, it's a nice and cheap way to do it But that's coz I have a friend with ADHD who takes a lot of it.

Like a lot of people, I also tick most of the boxes for ADHD but I have difficulties to discern whether it's actually the condition, laziness or just something else.

Always had attention problems, get distracted easily, learning disabilities coz I couldn't bother paying attention, and when something doesn't really interest me it's almost impossible for me to complete it correctly or on time.
It's particularly annoying at work, where I just watch the deadline approach and have this urge to continue procrastinating yet internally always want to puch myself to do it. Then I start freaking out when the end is near and do the job in crappy way (or at least, knowing I can do much better) or just admit I didn't do it. I also get burned out of doing the same tasks with extreme ease, which worsens the situation considerably. On top of that, I tend to turn off my brain (as in, I don't really know what I'm thinking of at that moment) when someone talks about something I'm not interest in, which makes for some weird situations sometimes

On the other hand, I have great memory for details and overall, I'm quite well organized and tidy. So that probably rules out ADHD, and I'm just lazy (or something worse ).
28.08.2016 - 15:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.08.2016 at 11:42

Now that I read your text I think I might have ADHD too. I have never made a diagnose but I had exactly the same problems (and still probably have) in school. I was always quite intelligent but somehow I could never absorb the whole learning material which was in school. I also get distracted very easily so that it often happens that I forget everything "important" which is around me. (its a bit better nowadays but it still happens occasionally). I also have major organization problems and my elementary school teacher at that time questioned If I ever would attend a higher school. Now that I'm in university I broke up one study already simply because I couldnt organize my time with learning and got distracted too easily. The thing is also that the subject wasnt always that interesting as I hoped and so I automatically couldnt pay attention to it as was needed. Things that interest me get my full attention (even too much I must say) but if something interests me just remotely less its like my brain suddenly turns off. I also just suck at verbal instructions and I'm probably always the last who understands a joke.

For about two month I'm using pills which help me to be more active, because I was such a lazy bastard before and it really helps me. I have a really good job at the moment and I do many things but the time organization is still a big problem for me. I begin a new study in october which interests me more than the last anyway and I really hope that I can do the best right from the beginning.

Definitely sounds like it might be ADHD then. Are you self medicating? What pills are you taking? I tried modafinil for a bit which is supposedly a wonder drug for concentration but all it really did was put me on edge and gave me headaches (though only if I drank coffee with it).

Lucky you have a job you can get into, but definitely worth trying to see someone that can determine and diagnose you as it'll help dramatically, in theory. Not sure how hard it would be over where you are, but here it's pretty difficult to get adult ADHD diagnosis here. Took like 6 months just to talk to a person for an hour.
28.08.2016 - 19:33
angel.
Evil Butterfly

Oh fuck don't tell me about that shitty critiques, I study English Philology... I can't believe it myself that I managed to do half of it up to now. And I can't tell you how much I hate those pretentiously written critiques and everyone in these classes go crazy for them, they take all these nonsense gibberish academic blah blah blah for granted.

I don't mind reading, I loved literature before university, but apparently I had to study it in university to hate what I do forever. Don't call me a hater, it's just that imagine you write 5000 words paper and all they care in this shit is your typos, grammar errors and fucking methodology, rarely in these classes someone discuss the intellectual content of papers. One reason to be depressed so often to get to know more and more your education means shit. It means nothing. It goes to nowhere.
----
The Fangirl.
28.08.2016 - 19:49
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

I did math. And to be honest I kinda regret it now.
I mean, I used to think I like it... I even decided to follow the academic path, took a master's degree, currently doing phd...
But over the years it seems the love faded away... I think the biggest point was where I studied abroad with an asshole of a boss for an year. Back in Brazil I used ti be one of the first of my class but when I went to US I realized I didn't know shit and the guy would keep throwing that at me, so it's like I suddenly suck at the only thing I used to be good at... Was pretty disappointing...

Nowadays I often find myself picturing how it would turned if I hadn't spent all these years studying... Summarizing I didn't even begin my career and am already tired of it.
And now it's too late to try other thing, I mean I have a phd almost =p

The worst thing of all this is since I start losing interest I'm quite not being able to focus on it as I did as well... I tried doing an admission test for teaching at an university today and couldn't concentrate at all... It's quite frustrating =/
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.08.2016 - 22:21
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Karlabos on 28.08.2016 at 19:49

I did math. And to be honest I kinda regret it now.
I mean, I used to think I like it... I even decided to follow the academic path, took a master's degree, currently doing phd...
But over the years it seems the love faded away... I think the biggest point was where I studied abroad with an asshole of a boss for an year. Back in Brazil I used ti be one of the first of my class but when I went to US I realized I didn't know shit and the guy would keep throwing that at me, so it's like I suddenly suck at the only thing I used to be good at... Was pretty disappointing...

Nowadays I often find myself picturing how it would turned if I hadn't spent all these years studying... Summarizing I didn't even begin my career and am already tired of it.
And now it's too late to try other thing, I mean I have a phd almost =p

The worst thing of all this is since I start losing interest I'm quite not being able to focus on it as I did as well... I tried doing an admission test for teaching at an university today and couldn't concentrate at all... It's quite frustrating =/

Doing masters right now in Germany I can totally understand you that you find out oh you suck at what you loved to do. I'm losing the love, for the same reasons you said. I imagine myself too if I wasn't studying all the time then what I was doing... and It was my dream to be university teacher but I can't see the perspective for it now... nor in Germany neither in my country.
----
The Fangirl.
30.08.2016 - 11:48
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.08.2016 at 15:18

Written by Guest on 28.08.2016 at 11:42

Definitely sounds like it might be ADHD then. Are you self medicating? What pills are you taking? I tried modafinil for a bit which is supposedly a wonder drug for concentration but all it really did was put me on edge and gave me headaches (though only if I drank coffee with it).

Lucky you have a job you can get into, but definitely worth trying to see someone that can determine and diagnose you as it'll help dramatically, in theory. Not sure how hard it would be over where you are, but here it's pretty difficult to get adult ADHD diagnosis here. Took like 6 months just to talk to a person for an hour.

The pills I'm using are called Venlafaxin, they are actually antidepressants I think, but they help me to be more incentive. I had quite major depression last year, which come to think of it, could have been a result of ADHD. Now I'm doing things just with a complete different mindset. I'm much more motivated and my concentration has increased drastically. I still have moments of divertissement but generally its much much better now.

I hope that I can make a diagnosis as fast as possible but I have honestly no idea how difficult it is to make one over here where I live. I'm also a bit sceptical about ritalin but it might help I guess.
30.08.2016 - 12:05
no one
Account deleted
Well at least with Ritalin you can sell it to low life's like me, it gives a speed type high but slow at the same time for people who don't have adhd.