Metal Storm logo
Depression (And Other Related Mental Illnesses)

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 14.12.2011 - 23:17
Due to the off-topic conversations in the love thread leading to talks of suicide, depression, angst, anxiety, and the likes...

This is your place to discuss your inner conflicts, share with others or simply give positive advice to people suffering. Reflect on past experiences, post your views on mental illnesses, share stories of family members who suffer from such illnesses - basically just keep it on topic.

/wrist
20.12.2014 - 08:36
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 20.12.2014 at 08:27

yeah i get it whenever i hear from my mother in law

Does it have a specific reason ?
I always get it when I think about future in terms of getting a job, interviews for them, or what major to study at university.
----
The Fangirl.
20.12.2014 - 09:18
no one
Account deleted
Written by angel. on 20.12.2014 at 08:36

Does it have a specific reason ?
I always get it when I think about future in terms of getting a job, interviews for them, or what major to study at university.

because she has narcissistic personality disorder and causes me and my wife absolute grief every-time we come in contact.

Those things you stress about sound pretty standard don't they?
20.12.2014 - 09:21
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 20.12.2014 at 09:18

Those things you stress about sound pretty standard don'y they?

yeah they are but still very irritating
----
The Fangirl.
22.01.2015 - 10:17
Nucky
I had depression for 5 years and only now I got help.. Spended 2 months in psychiatric hospital.. Depression and suicidal thoughts.. Taking these strong pills to keep me calm and relaxed..
02.02.2015 - 06:20
FOOCK Nam
Written by Nucky on 22.01.2015 at 10:17

I had depression for 5 years and only now I got help.. Spended 2 months in psychiatric hospital.. Depression and suicidal thoughts.. Taking these strong pills to keep me calm and relaxed..

Hope and wish you will be ok soon. btw do you listen to music a lot ?
04.02.2015 - 10:34
Nucky
Yes I do.. All the time.. Without music I'm lost..
05.02.2015 - 08:29
no one
Account deleted
Written by Nucky on 22.01.2015 at 10:17

what pills you on ?
11.02.2015 - 02:10
FOOCK Nam
Written by Nucky on 04.02.2015 at 10:34

Yes I do.. All the time.. Without music I'm lost..

i ask cuz if any case you listen to metal by headphone lots and long duration..its complicated but external speaker always healither abit.
25.02.2015 - 23:16
Dead Eternity
Account deleted
I'm depressed again. No matter how many times I try to cheer up by reading jokes or watching other funny stuff on the internet, I always get depressed sooner or later. Right now I can't think of anything but suicide, but I don't have the courage to kill myself. I wish I could die without feeling pain.
27.02.2015 - 01:10
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.02.2015 at 23:16

I'm depressed again. No matter how many times I try to cheer up by reading jokes or watching other funny stuff on the internet, I always get depressed sooner or later. Right now I can't think of anything but suicide, but I don't have the courage to kill myself. I wish I could die without feeling pain.

Is there reasons you keep getting depressed?
27.02.2015 - 02:42
Dead Eternity
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.02.2015 at 01:10

Yes. I get depressed when I think that I will never have a girlfriend, because it's true. I'm shy, unattractive, uninteresting, virgin and a "nerd" (between quotes because I hate the term and being labeled as one). Maybe I'm "socially awkward" too, I can't say for sure. The first time I got really depressed was in the beginning of 2012, at school. I cried a lot back then, but I always hid my tears and didn't let anyone know that I was depressed or crying, not even my family. Even though I have a few friends in real life, I'm lonely for most of the time. And the last time I saw my friends was in 2011. Also, I've isolated myself from society a few months ago. I don't get out of home. And if I did, I wouldn't know where to go to.

I stopped eating lately, wanting to starve to death, and my mother noticed that I'm depressed. But I don't think she can help me. I don't take antidepressants or do drugs, I don't think these things will solve my problem.
27.02.2015 - 04:06
no one
Account deleted
Talked to a psychologist? theres not usually a quick fix, but there is a way out
27.02.2015 - 14:11
Dead Eternity
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.02.2015 at 04:06

Talked to a psychologist? theres not usually a quick fix, but there is a way out

No, not yet.
27.02.2015 - 18:39
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 27.02.2015 at 02:42

Written by Guest on 27.02.2015 at 01:10

Yes. I get depressed when I think that I will never have a girlfriend, because it's true. I'm shy, unattractive, uninteresting, virgin and a "nerd" (between quotes because I hate the term and being labeled as one). Maybe I'm "socially awkward" too, I can't say for sure. The first time I got really depressed was in the beginning of 2012, at school. I cried a lot back then, but I always hid my tears and didn't let anyone know that I was depressed or crying, not even my family. Even though I have a few friends in real life, I'm lonely for most of the time. And the last time I saw my friends was in 2011. Also, I've isolated myself from society a few months ago. I don't get out of home. And if I did, I wouldn't know where to go to.

I stopped eating lately, wanting to starve to death, and my mother noticed that I'm depressed. But I don't think she can help me. I don't take antidepressants or do drugs, I don't think these things will solve my problem.

chill out!!!! believe in yourself, dont seek out presence or approvement of others. love yourself more! remember if you dont believe in yourself, no one will. if you dont love yourself, no one will. ... you are just 21, still long life ahead, at 21 i was very bad and worse but now i overcame insecurity, and know the truth that actually most ppl now like my age and older 27, 28,.. they are all alone and with ppl around them or not they developed of confidence. im not sure if you are in school or not but when living with school time, lots of ppl feel insecure and lonely cuz they are affected and dominated by the environment of community with a lots of individuals forming groups and community. The mandatory in schooling that you are forced to connect with others when you are students are very hard which even you subconsciously like it or not or aware of it or not, you will feel bad when you are not accepted.. when you grow older that feeling of mandatory reaching out for approvement will gone..at my age 27, 28 ppl are in control of their life which you will feel different, this age you are consciously content that knowing your life belong to you, and more concern of you life that any other problems, which you dont need to worry about feeling lonely or isolated..it goes like that from my age until you get marriage and kids, just your life, other ppl involved but not affecting much your feeling or emotion and the need to seek others presence in your life.. speaking of marriage, believe me i can be sure that guys look doesnt matter in this perspective.. girls doesnt care much of guys look attractive or not.. being strong is important for a guy.. i encourage you hanging out with tough guys, tough guys not just general ones, tries to make a fight or something like that, it will change you attidude about yourself,.. i was same case like you, now im a tough guy haha i think so since i hangout with american vigilant.. you should play more sport, some sport like basket ball you can play alone or groups both enchance physical and moods, workout more, try less being nerd, spend on music or books less cuz it is very introvert stuff, try more opposite stuff, care more of open stuff like sports, movie..you can apply for Disney international program at florida at your age now, try immigrate to america cuz there you are very free to do what you want, and lots of brazilian there too.. last word, dont worry much you have long life ahead, keep positive then you will be fine.. you dont need to take meds.
27.02.2015 - 20:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 27.02.2015 at 02:42

I get depressed when I think that I will never have a girlfriend, because it's true. I'm shy, unattractive, uninteresting, virgin and a "nerd" (between quotes because I hate the term and being labeled as one). Maybe I'm "socially awkward" too, I can't say for sure. The first time I got really depressed was in the beginning of 2012, at school. I cried a lot back then, but I always hid my tears and didn't let anyone know that I was depressed or crying, not even my family. Even though I have a few friends in real life, I'm lonely for most of the time. And the last time I saw my friends was in 2011. Also, I've isolated myself from society a few months ago. I don't get out of home. And if I did, I wouldn't know where to go to.

Well, know that at least you're not alone. I too will never have a gf by the same reasons, I believe. That happens to a lot of ppl, girls too. Ugly fat girls will have a hard time finding a boyfriend because boys take girls by the looks. Shy and awkward boys will have a hard time getting gfs because girls pick boys because of confidence. Hence ppl like us are bound to be alone. It's just the way things works I guess...

There's more things in common on what you said about yourself and my life. I too can count my friends on my hand, and since I moved outside my country I've been living alone without any social iteration here. I went to USA hoping I'd improve my English and haven't got the chance to practice at all... Most of my english training consists on talking to you guys here on MS or watching videos on Youtube..

But even then I'm not depressed. I think that I can handle it because I distract myself a lot you know... I get hobbies and get interested on them to the point that I live for them, be it gaming, practicing a sport or whatever... I know there are at least two kinds of depression. One is physical and not emotional, which I wouldn't know how to handle, but if your problem is emotional I take it that distracting yourself would be a good start to let those thoughs out of your head.

I don't know if that helps, but hey knowing you're not alone is always good, I think.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.02.2015 - 20:49
no one
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by FOOCK Nam on 27.02.2015 at 18:39

chill out!!!! believe in yourself, dont seek out presence or approvement of others. love yourself more! remember if you dont believe in yourself, no one will. if you dont love yourself, no one will. ... you are just 21, still long life ahead, at 21 i was very bad and worse but now i overcame insecurity, and know the truth that actually most ppl now like my age and older 27, 28,.. they are all alone and with ppl around them or not they developed of confidence. im not sure if you are in school or not but when living with school time, lots of ppl feel insecure and lonely cuz they are affected and dominated by the environment of community with a lots of individuals forming groups and community. The mandatory in schooling that you are forced to connect with others when you are students are very hard which even you subconsciously like it or not or aware of it or not, you will feel bad when you are not accepted.. when you grow older that feeling of mandatory reaching out for approvement will gone..at my age 27, 28 ppl are in control of their life which you will feel different, this age you are consciously content that knowing your life belong to you, and more concern of you life that any other problems, which you dont need to worry about feeling lonely or isolated..it goes like that from my age until you get marriage and kids, just your life, other ppl involved but not affecting much your feeling or emotion and the need to seek others presence in your life.. speaking of marriage, believe me i can be sure that guys look doesnt matter in this perspective.. girls doesnt care much of guys look attractive or not.. being strong is important for a guy.. i encourage you hanging out with tough guys, tough guys not just general ones, tries to make a fight or something like that, it will change you attidude about yourself,.. i was same case like you, now im a tough guy haha i think so since i hangout with american vigilant.. you should play more sport, some sport like basket ball you can play alone or groups both enchance physical and moods, workout more, try less being nerd, spend on music or books less cuz it is very introvert stuff, try more opposite stuff, care more of open stuff like sports, movie..you can apply for Disney international program at florida at your age now, try immigrate to america cuz there you are very free to do what you want, and lots of brazilian there too.. last word, dont worry much you have long life ahead, keep positive then you will be fine.. you dont need to take meds.

Good post, i was going to post something similar but i have only just got my computer back. The age thing your talk about is so true. I was similar to this guy at that age and wish i knew how much it changed once you got older.
The funny thing is that i wasn't a bad looking dude when i was a bit younger and always had chicks hitting on me. In my mind though i was a useless, worthless nothing with no confidence, so still lived pretty much like this guy above who says he is too ugly to score. At the time i remember my ugly mates getting the chicks who moved on from me because i was being too withdrawn . It just shows that if your mind is in a bad place, your appearance doesn't matter, so to have a better mind would to be less self conscious.
27.02.2015 - 22:20
FOOCK Nam
Quote:
Written by Guest on 27.02.2015 at 20:49

Written by FOOCK Nam on 27.02.2015 at 18:39

Good post, i was going to post something similar but i have only just got my computer back. The age thing your talk about is so true. I was similar to this guy at that age and wish i knew how much it changed once you got older.
The funny thing is that i wasn't a bad looking dude when i was a bit younger and always had chicks hitting on me. In my mind though i was a useless, worthless nothing with no confidence, so still lived pretty much like this guy above who says he is too ugly to score. At the time i remember my ugly mates getting the chicks who moved on from me because i was being too withdrawn . It just shows that if your mind is in a bad place, your appearance doesn't matter, so to have a better mind would to be less self conscious.

so true, exactly thats the mind, when you choose your mind is positive, then your facial show confident emotion, eye stare look, you gesture show firm confident, your words from mouth pronounced with firm voice accent,..etc then you will get girls, cuz girls just like confident guys, and it starts with the mind of the guy.. mind makes emotion, emotion makes reaction of others to you, reaction of yourself with others create attraction or driving away..

so yeah i encourage you do surfing more, its good for physical, vital, moods, emotion,.. well all kind of sport is good for such, btw when you surf you can see girls in bikini, hehe hot, and maybe someday you can hit some hot chicks on the beach, unless your loyal husband, ...when i was young i play basket ball a lot some chicks do look at me,haha.. but didnt you hit some girl when young ? if i was in NZ now i could play rugby..
28.02.2015 - 01:36
Dead Eternity
Account deleted
Thanks, guys. I feel much better now.

I don't know if I'll be able to get confidence, but I'll try.
28.02.2015 - 01:41
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 28.02.2015 at 01:36

Thanks, guys. I feel much better now.

I don't know if I'll be able to get confidence, but I'll try.

change your nick man, dead eternity sounds bit of pessimism or is it a metal song ? or inspired..?
28.02.2015 - 01:43
Dead Eternity
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 28.02.2015 at 01:41

change your nick man, dead eternity sounds bit of pessimism or is it a metal song ? or inspired..?

No, it's just a metal song I like.
28.02.2015 - 01:51
no one
Account deleted
Yeah change it to something really cool like "bestmetalstormer"

it's not so much about being mr positive confident all the time, that's just about impossible, eventually you will explode. Just don't always assume people are thinking the worst of you, because you never actually really know what they are thinking. Even people who come across really confident and have every thing could even be in the same boat as you (just look at robbin williams).

A psychologist is usually good for this type of thing. They give you tools like in cbt or something that you can practice to change the destructive way you think. In fact CBT could be really good for you, you should google it. It takes a while to fall naturally into your thought process, but eventually it could help you out a lot.
28.02.2015 - 01:58
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 28.02.2015 at 01:43

Written by FOOCK Nam on 28.02.2015 at 01:41

No, it's just a metal song I like.

is the lyric positive ? yea thinking of death can be both positive or negative.. i would recommend be positive better.. you know samurai use death to positiving themself, while some depressive black metal dudes use death to worry and cut and mutilates themself their bodies.. just slight differences makes built or collapse.. .just pass through until 28, or 30, you will be superb confidence self controlf of youself, life will be great, dont worry much, it is inevitable for most all human beings..
02.03.2015 - 11:40
IronAngel
The nasty thing with depression is that 1) you can realize you're depressed, 2) you might know ways of getting over it but 3) due to the nature of the condition, you just can't bring yourself to doing what needs to be done.

My tendency for depression, if I have any, is very mild. It would cheapen those who suffer from a severe condition to claim I know what it's like. But that is my experience: I go through periods of passivity when nothing is interesting or worth the trouble. And I know from experience that when I get off my ass and do shit, it gets better. But when you're in that state, knowing it doesn't really help.
13.03.2015 - 20:38
Dealing with clinical depression and P.T.S.D. for decades, I do know suicide can seem to be a viable option. I have one serious attempt for which I was hospitalized for 6 weeks, inpatient, in a locked facility. I also have been hospitalized on six other occasions, the last in 2006. I do understand serious depression as well as anxiety. You NEED to be diagnosed by a professional and try professional recommendations. If you need help be strong and ask for it.

Here is a list of common traits of those who attempt suicide. Killing oneself halts the pain but there are other options. I hope this helps

http://www.survivorsofsuicide.com/understanding.shtml
21.04.2015 - 06:11
no one
Account deleted
21.04.2015 - 06:13
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.04.2015 at 06:11

http://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/67916446/Mindfulness-therapy-as-good-as-medication-for-chronic-depression-study]

This is what i do and highly recommenr instead of anti depressants?it does take effort though
02.07.2015 - 16:21
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
I take anti depressants for depression and anxiety, but I would never think it was the only way to solve the problem. Doctors always say that it's not a solution. It helps me have a bit more energy and gets me out of bed in the morning, so I can then exercise or do whatever. Anyone who takes an anti depressant and thinks depression will disappear is wrong surely?
02.07.2015 - 21:31
no one
Account deleted
Written by Belegûr on 02.07.2015 at 16:21

I take anti depressants for depression and anxiety, but I would never think it was the only way to solve the problem. Doctors always say that it's not a solution. It helps me have a bit more energy and gets me out of bed in the morning, so I can then exercise or do whatever. Anyone who takes an anti depressant and thinks depression will disappear is wrong surely?

my wife's dad and his wife think anti depressants are the answer to life.
02.07.2015 - 21:35
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Guest on 02.07.2015 at 21:31

Written by Belegûr on 02.07.2015 at 16:21

my wife's dad and his wife think anti depressants are the answer to life.

I suppose I can't speak for everyone. Some people probably feel completely different with them. I've had like 4 different types in the last year because they all had weird side effects. The side effect of one "feelings of depression" .... sigh haha
02.07.2015 - 22:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Belegûr on 02.07.2015 at 21:35

The side effect of one "feelings of depression"

well... :|
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei