Metal Storm logo
Guns N' Roses

Original post

Posted by Eight, 18.05.2006 - 13:36
I do belive that all of you know this band, don't you ? So i guess ill be the one who creates this thread.
I hear peoplesaying that Guns'n'Roses would be better off whitout Axel! i think not, whats done is done, and there couldnt be G'n'R whitout Axels Guns
25.12.2008 - 16:27
Bite Me
Account deleted
Without Axl there is no Guns N' Roses. Axl could be a douche and sure, I have some hate towards him for the decisions he made and how he has acted and the things he has said which are quite blah, but still I respect him because like I said, without Axl there would be no Guns N' Roses. I LOVE this band. Why? I don't even know, but listening to them makes me nostalgic, and it doesn't make sense because I was born in 1990 and have no association to that decade but oh man, I would give so much to see them live - the original Guns N' Roses, with Slash, Izzy, Duff. Coma, Civil War, Rocket Queen, Estranged, Knockin' on Heaven's Door (best cover ever to me), Nightrain, Used to Love Her, Dead Horse - I could spend a lifetime listening to these songs

OH. And I hate hate hate Chinese Democracy. Modern garbage, sorry Axl. Sure the 80's are over, but I can only take as much and Chinese Democracy is too much. The only semi-decent song was "Better"
26.12.2008 - 10:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 25.12.2008 at 16:27

OH. And I hate hate hate Chinese Democracy. Modern garbage, sorry Axl. Sure the 80's are over, but I can only take as much and Chinese Democracy is too much. The only semi-decent song was "Better"

Not only music, but his look are same modern garbage like hip hop artist not rocker
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.12.2008 - 17:37
Hellkommando
I grew up with the Gunners and although one can debate Axel's methods, him as a person etc he was a great frontman it is really hard to imagine the Gunners with thinking of Axel. But yeah these days I must admit he is a bit of a clown, lol.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
27.12.2008 - 01:32
Kanto
Guns are...I don't know how to say it..."basic"? I mean, is like cool vocals, cool guitar solo and cool drums, that's most of the good rock songs like Sweet Child, Paradise City, Welcome to the Jungle. In the other hand, you have the sad and love ballads like November, Don't Cry, etc. Their old albums were quite good because you can feel that "energy" flowing, but at the end it was just love love love and more love, with a SO SWEET (*w*) piano and...too pink to be Guns.
----
...Dude.
28.12.2008 - 20:42
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
In my opinion there isn't anything wrong with Chinese Democracy...GNR will never be the same way again because the original members aren't in the band anymore...I think people have to realize this...you have to give Axel the credit that he's been carefully working on these songs for years...he didn't just put something out after working on it for only a few years...but then again, that says that he isn't able to put out material consistantly because he probably has long blocks and long periods of creative frustration...if that's the case then we might not see another album for a long time...
28.12.2008 - 22:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.12.2008 at 20:42

In my opinion there isn't anything wrong with Chinese Democracy...GNR will never be the same way again because the original members aren't in the band anymore...I think people have to realize this...you have to give Axel the credit that he's been carefully working on these songs for years...he didn't just put something out after working on it for only a few years...but then again, that says that he isn't able to put out material consistantly because he probably has long blocks and long periods of creative frustration...if that's the case then we might not see another album for a long time...

Thats kind of what I was wondering, what now? I mean, after releasing an album thats been in the works for almost 2 decades, making an album in 2 years and putting it out would just seem so...small (for lack of a better word).
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.01.2009 - 10:23
JayEstonio
Account deleted
I was 14 when I first saw Sweet Child 'o Mine on MTV. It encourage me to pick up the guitar and learn to play.
I really miss these guys and the music they brought. Well, times have changed, and Chinese democracy is the proof. And for a full Guns N Roses reunion?
29.01.2009 - 08:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Oh jeez, just when I thought the whole Axl-Slash feud has blown over, look at Axls latest blog or "Open letter to the fans":
http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081216&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp

While I know a lot of you would cast this off as more of Axls bitching (and admittedly a lot of it is), it actually seems pretty logical at a lot of points.
----
- George Carlin
30.01.2009 - 02:19
addiction
Well fuck me that was a long open letter....a bit incohesive writing as well but i guess it makes sense....its kind of like making the last album...going around in circles with what he was saying, which is tiring, but in the end it makes sense...:) and i think i am with him in this dispute...and yes most of the things he says are logical.
----
alive in the superunknown
23.02.2009 - 17:14
seely
Account deleted
One of my very fav bands
Chinese Democracy is a kickass album, but obviously the old GN'R can never be topped, AFD remains imo one of the greatest albums ever!

Guess with all this axl/slash argument being reheated by Axl, a reunion is now out of the question for a loooong time!

Anyone read Axl's new interview with billboard? (His first major interview for 9 years or so), he actually says that one of them will die before they ever reunite
24.02.2009 - 04:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 23.02.2009 at 17:14

One of my very fav bands
Chinese Democracy is a kickass album, but obviously the old GN'R can never be topped, AFD remains imo one of the greatest albums ever!

Guess with all this axl/slash argument being reheated by Axl, a reunion is now out of the question for a loooong time!

Anyone read Axl's new interview with billboard? (His first major interview for 9 years or so), he actually says that one of them will die before they ever reunite

Blaming it on Axl. Typical. Slash even stated in his book why there will never be a reunion. Slash has been far more vocal in bashing Axl in the press.
----
- George Carlin
25.02.2009 - 21:20
seely
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2009 at 04:48

Written by Guest on 23.02.2009 at 17:14

One of my very fav bands

Blaming it on Axl. Typical. Slash even stated in his book why there will never be a reunion. Slash has been far more vocal in bashing Axl in the press.

Woah there! I ain't choosing sides, i just sated the interview! It's just that slash and duff always say they're open to the idea of a reunion in recent interviews, and on lots of people hope for a reunion as a result, i simply mean this new interview shoots it down further

I think both guys are to blame for what happened
22.03.2009 - 02:28
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
Didn't comment CD before just to see how will work with me.. but first to say that i was very sceptic about new ablum, about Axl's project, about new Gn'R , i loved old band was for long my fav band and then they split take sides and bla bla, slash and duff are great musicians but VR comparing to new gnr is crap.
back to the Democracy
well albums suprise me a lot but on positive way, i expected to be full of electronic part and stuff with big trent reznor influence (good friend of axl, worked with him) but noup it's so clean album, can't say it's old guns n roses from 90's .... i won't talk and writte review's for each song... i just must admit that album is damn good and Axl proved he's good musician and he knows what doing .... must say great work mr. Axl Rose you can do it with or without slash, duff, and others
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
07.04.2009 - 10:53
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Did they record any new music video for their new album?
08.04.2009 - 03:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 07.04.2009 at 10:53

They did/are, theres news on the website regarding an upcoming video, I haven't seen anything released yet.
----
- George Carlin
08.04.2009 - 09:56
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 08.04.2009 at 03:02

They did/are, theres news on the website regarding an upcoming video, I haven't seen anything released yet.

I like to see Better song with a music video, its a nice song.
08.04.2009 - 10:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 08.04.2009 at 09:56

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the one, from what I hear thats the one that Axl's most proud of apparently...
----
- George Carlin
08.04.2009 - 10:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 08.04.2009 at 10:06

Written by Guest on 08.04.2009 at 09:56

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the one, from what I hear thats the one that Axl's most proud of apparently...

IRS is a nice one for video too. I cant say that I enjoyed this album so much, but its nice for todays when we cant hear a very nice heavy metal album (or hard rock ones).

PS:Ecept AC/DC's Black Ice
08.04.2009 - 10:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 08.04.2009 at 10:10

IRS is a nice one for video too. I cant say that I enjoyed this album so much, but its nice for todays when we cant hear a very nice heavy metal album (or hard rock ones).

I didn't mind the album, I liked it, but there was nothing that really blew me away, but my review on the album pretty much sums it up, instead of me typing it all out again. I wouldn't mind seeing a video for IRS, thats probably my favourite song on the album, that and Riad N' The Bedouins.
----
- George Carlin
27.08.2009 - 18:32
Panterica
Written by Guest on 22.01.2009 at 10:23

I was 14 when I first saw Sweet Child 'o Mine on MTV. It encourage me to pick up the guitar and learn to play.
I really miss these guys and the music they brought. Well, times have changed, and Chinese democracy is the proof. And for a full Guns N Roses reunion?

Same here, listening to Guns had a great impact on me too. Slash is the reason why I started playing the guitar. I can't imagine myself without knowing this guys music.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
03.09.2010 - 16:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The past 2 days Ive been listening to a lot of G N' R. The 2 Illusion albums while being a bit patchy contain some amazing songs, and Appetite is just a bona fide classic. AFD was my introduction to harder edged music, and as such that album and the band will always be special to me. xD Chinese Democracy is a decent album, but nowhere near the greatness of AFD and the Illusions. And definitely not worth the 14 year wait or however long it was for the album to come out. Id have preffered it if Axl had just released it as a solo album, and not continued with the G N' R name.
03.09.2010 - 22:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.09.2010 at 16:35

Chinese Democracy is a decent album, but nowhere near the greatness of AFD and the Illusions. And definitely not worth the 14 year wait or however long it was for the album to come out. Id have preffered it if Axl had just released it as a solo album, and not continued with the G N' R name.

I agree, but mostly because it would have received some fair press if he didn't put the GnR name on it. It's not a bad album by any means, but people just hate it because of the man behind it.
----
- George Carlin
03.09.2010 - 22:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Doc G. on 03.09.2010 at 22:11
I agree, but mostly because it would have received some fair press if he didn't put the GnR name on it. It's not a bad album by any means, but people just hate it because of the man behind it.

Its definitely not a bad album. Its not even just the press. Even me, before I heard it, I told myself I wouldn't compare it to the other albums with the old lineup, but inevitably I ended up doing just that. I think the length of time it took for Axl to release it also didnt help either. Even if the album was amazing, it still wouldnt have been worth that length of wait. But Axl is still a good songwriter, and songs like "Street Of Dreams" and "Shackler's Revenge" proved he still had the chops. If it had been an Axl solo album, Im sure it would have been praised far more, and wouldn't have been hampered by comparisons to the old Guns material. Its not a classic album for sure, but I think it has been treated unfairly mainly because it bears the G N' R name.
03.09.2010 - 22:38
vezzy
Stallmanite
Are you serious? "Shackler's Revenge" was bombastic and boring, totally worthless in my book.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.09.2010 - 22:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 03.09.2010 at 22:38

Are you serious? "Shackler's Revenge" was bombastic and boring, totally worthless in my book.

It's very modern sounding, and I guess some would baulk at that. lol Its hardly a classic in the league of something like "Coma" or "Welcome To The Jungle", but for what it is, its a very good song.
03.09.2010 - 22:51
vezzy
Stallmanite
It's one of my least favorite tracks on the album, personally.
----
03.09.2010 - 22:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 03.09.2010 at 22:51

It's one of my least favorite tracks on the album, personally.

It's one of the few upbeat songs on the album, I think that's why it stands out a bit for me. But most of the best songs on the album, is where he's doing the overblown stuff like "Madagascar" and "Street Of Dreams". lol I think this is where it suffers compared to the Illusions. Those albums had a lot of light and shade. And I think this had a lot to do with the writing input of Izzy and Slash. Axl can still write great songs, no doubt. There's just something missing in the band's sound now.
03.09.2010 - 23:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
The intro to "Shackler's Revenge" kind of reminds me of the intro of "Bad Apples".

The whole album felt lighter than usual GnR. Stuff like "If The World", for example.
----
03.09.2010 - 23:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 03.09.2010 at 23:01

The intro to "Shackler's Revenge" kind of reminds me of the intro of "Bad Apples".

The whole album felt lighter than usual GnR. Stuff like "If The World", for example.

The rhythm of the two songs actually are similar, but Shackler's... has a meaner sound.

Yep, thats exactly what I mean. For every "November Rain" or "Don't Cry", there was a "Right Next Door To Hell", or "You Could Be Mine". While the Illusions certainly had their fair shair of lighter, ballady material, this was offset by a good few numbers that retained the aggression and attitude of Appetite For Destruction. While most of the Chinese Democracy songs isolated on their own are decent or even great on a small amount of ocassions, it doesnt make for a very cohesive or exciting album. It drags a bit, and is very difficult to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. What made the first 3 albums so great was the chemistry between Izzy, Slash, Axl, and Duff. Im certainly not one to jump on the bandwagon of mindlessly bashing Axl, but G N' R now definitely lacks the magic that it had in the late 80's/early 90's.
17.06.2011 - 18:33
Metal_4Ever
I love their God Father Theme \m/