Metal Storm logo
Metal just a phase?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 02.11.2006 - 05:18
Some people just don't understand. You know, they can tell me about my "punk ass bitch gothic t shirts", they can tell me everything I listen to sounds the same, they can say just about anything in the book and I'll gladly set them straight if they allow me the time to explain to them. But nothing pisses me off more than when people tell me that it's just a phase or that I listen to metal music because I'm angry. I live in a part of the city where I'm the only metal head I really know so maybe this is new to you guys but I get this erroneous comment all the time. So just to get the conversation stirring, which people just go through a metal phase and which people (like myself) plan on devoting their whole lives to metal?
27.02.2008 - 03:37
NOИ
the whole thing with devotion to metal or punk or one genre only is crap and bullshit for teenagers and people who are trying to show themselfs as "true" or something better and above others. also, there is negativity and aggression in metal music (more in black metal) so you cannot listen and feel this all the time. your brain and ears need a break, something different. we are humans with too many needs and feelings, too many sides, that's why we cannot listen only metal. I will say FUCK the labels and all these, just listen to music, music = life!
27.02.2008 - 13:12
Xaphiris
I'm feel sorry for the people who think they're above others because they have a feeling they're more open-minded than others. I think open-mindedness has less to do with metal than metalheads think and it makes little difference really. To me, a narrow-minded person is just as valuable a pawn as somebody with a wider perspective on things. In fact you can manipulate an open-minded person better because of the many doors leading to their mind.

Back to the subject: I listen to a lot of other things besides extreme metal [i.e. rock, classical music, ambient, neofolk, space] but at the same time stick very much to metal. I think the reason some people fall out of the metal scene completely is peer pressure and lack of support mainly, then lack of determination [not knowing what they want in metal] ... afterwards they make up all kinds of stupid excuses as to why they left, like "it was childish", "it was not what I had expected", etc.

Bottom line is: if it works for you, stick to it.
----
27.02.2008 - 13:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Xaphiris on 27.02.2008 at 13:12

I'm feel sorry for the people who think they're above others because they have a feeling they're more open-minded than others. I think open-mindedness has less to do with metal than metalheads think and it makes little difference really. To me, a narrow-minded person is just as valuable a pawn as somebody with a wider perspective on things. In fact you can manipulate an open-minded person better because of the many doors leading to their mind.

Back to the subject: I listen to a lot of other things besides extreme metal [i.e. rock, classical music, ambient, neofolk, space] but at the same time stick very much to metal. I think the reason some people fall out of the metal scene completely is peer pressure and lack of support mainly, then lack of determination [not knowing what they want in metal] ... afterwards they make up all kinds of stupid excuses as to why they left, like "it was childish", "it was not what I had expected", etc.

Yeah man. My problem with metal heads is that as soon as they realize that there's other good music out there besides metal, they grow an ego and think that they're better than everyone else, when in fact, they're just a n00b. I always hate reading posts/blogs by people who say they aren't into metal anymore and act like they look down on the genre as if they're better than all the other listeners because they just recently got into something else.

Most, well all but one, of my friends are out of metal now so I think it is a phase to most people, but I have a feeling I'll be listening to metal, along with many other styles of music, for the rest of my life.
27.02.2008 - 13:25
Xaphiris
Written by Dangerboner on 27.02.2008 at 13:22

I'll be listening to metal, along with many other styles of music, for the rest of my life.

Same here, tbh.
----
27.02.2008 - 15:13
pietje
Account deleted
They might be right. When someone thinks he's better than other 'cause he stopped listening to extreme metal I think that it could be a right choice. I am a metalhead for sure, but I also feel that it uses a lot of my energy, which I could use for so much better things. I got often cititicized by the way I dress, by the way I act and for the music that I listen to. If I would be known for a positive way of dressing and a positive behaviour, in anyway, not metal, I would be able tot do more good things for the world without having to defend myself against so-called closed minded people. The problem is that in this world listening to music and wearing clothe is not as individual as one might think.
So, to the point, don't look down ond those who look down on metalheads. Who decides who made a wrong decision? If you listen to metal, it is alright as long as no-one gets bad feelings about it. On the other hands, listening to easylistening kind of music might be easier for others to understand. Make a right decision in this, that is the important thing.

God bless.
27.02.2008 - 16:01
Hangar XVIII
I think whether metal is a phase depends on the person in question. I know plenty of people who don't really enjoy the music as a genre but listen to/play is because they think it makes them cool.
On the other hand, I know other people whose devotion tends to frighten me sometimes.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
27.02.2008 - 16:24
MadGatsu
Written by Xaphiris on 27.02.2008 at 13:25

I'll be listening to metal, along with many other styles of music, for the rest of my life.

Same here, tbh.

Ditto /m/
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
28.02.2008 - 20:55
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
My phase is going on since my age of 10 until...? I don't see me without listening to metal...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
29.02.2008 - 04:20
Alekzndr
Account deleted
Written by Author on 11.11.2006 at 01:17

As I expected, it didn't take long for this thread to turn into yet another "my narrow mind and obsession for underground metal make me elite" fest.
Enter metal, shut the door, feel superior. Another young life in need of identity and guidance joins a trend. Because that's what it is, of course. And I hope that all those of you that see metal as their "lifestyle" can grow out of it and become just people who listen to metal. Not necessarily of course, you can always listen to something else. It's not like metal is gonna be offended by your "betrayal".

i agree these people claiming metal is my life or music is my life are the ones going through that teenage identity crisis trying to define themselves through some sort of anti-social rebellious lifestyle saying they are metal heads and swearing they will never change....
As if it mattered it doesnt matter what you listen to i could care less i dont listen to metal because i devote myself to it i listen to it because it sounds good if i get tired of a band or a CD i can look at one of the other thousands of bands out there and search for something new
i wear jeans and T-shirts i look like a normal person. i have band tee-shirts sure, but i dont overstock my closet with band Tee-shirts, studded wrist bands bullet belts or goat skulls on my wall and all black clothes like i see some of my friends do i dont care for that crap i dont want to put a label on myself. There are far more important things like college to worry about then "trying to stay devoted to a style of music" ill do what i like to do wether that means staying in metal or stop listening to music all together, it doesnt matter. I like metal because it has a great sound to me and i enjoy listening to it. There is no other reason what so ever. And i really wish there were more people who didnt care about the image or "metal for life" crap like the person i quoted.

And just like what the person said before "It's not like metal is gonna be offended by your betrayal."
29.02.2008 - 09:43
b0000mst1ck
those who concern themselves with whether or not liking a certain kind of music is a phase, is going through a phase.

sorry.
29.02.2008 - 10:07
NOИ

Yeah man. My problem with metal heads is that as soon as they realize that there's other good music out there besides metal, they grow an ego and think that they're better than everyone else, when in fact, they're just a n00b. I always hate reading posts/blogs by people who say they aren't into metal anymore and act like they look down on the genre as if they're better than all the other listeners because they just recently got into something else.

Most, well all but one, of my friends are out of metal now so I think it is a phase to most people, but I have a feeling I'll be listening to metal, along with many other styles of music, for the rest of my life.

I was a big fan of black metal for years (and still am), but now we can see that the genre isn't very alive, too many kiddos and stupid people can start a band and play black metal and metal in general, and that's exactly why I disappointed from the genre, and started searching more other genres. but as long as you do this, you can discover too many other great music besides black metal and metal, and later when you grow up you realise that it was actually something for teenagers only! but as I said, I still like black metal, just NOT the stupid one and bands that don't add anything new to the genre. after all, we are humans and we cannot have a feeling all the time, that's why I support evolution in many bands...
01.03.2008 - 04:26
AntaeusM
Elite

I think it's because of the general attitude in metal. You can notice this especially in the behaviour of metalheads who are really knowledgeable about metal. Posers, wannabes and similar terms are used constantly for metal fans who aren't that knowledgeable. There is a certain limit to gathering knowledge about metal. At some point you think "I know enough" or "I get tired of this genre". Also, for some people it is just a development. They first start to listen to some metalbands that use electronic instruments in their music, half a year later they are fully into Electronic music. It is a logical development, and shows that musical interest isn't limited by genres. The problem is that the same person thinks that other music listeners are ignorant for missing this great music "outside" metal.

I have been listening to metal for 5 years now. After 3 years or so I started to develop me into other genres as well. Japanese Electronic music, Classical music and soundtracks were added to the genres I enjoyed. I did feel that other people are missing something. However, they are happy with just listening to metal. So why bother when they are happy with the music they got now? They will constantly develop themselves. Maybe they stay inside the metalgenre, but it isn't so special if they develop into other genres of music.
02.03.2008 - 06:58
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by Author on 27.02.2008 at 15:13

They might be right. When someone thinks he's better than other 'cause he stopped listening to extreme metal I think that it could be a right choice. I am a metalhead for sure, but I also feel that it uses a lot of my energy, which I could use for so much better things. I got often cititicized by the way I dress, by the way I act and for the music that I listen to. If I would be known for a positive way of dressing and a positive behaviour, in anyway, not metal, I would be able tot do more good things for the world without having to defend myself against so-called closed minded people. The problem is that in this world listening to music and wearing clothe is not as individual as one might think.
So, to the point, don't look down ond those who look down on metalheads. Who decides who made a wrong decision? If you listen to metal, it is alright as long as no-one gets bad feelings about it. On the other hands, listening to easylistening kind of music might be easier for others to understand. Make a right decision in this, that is the important thing.

God bless.

Your comments about the way you dress really hit home with me. My uncle is a high school history teacher. When I was a junior in high school, he gave me this long letter telling me how I should cut my hair, dress nice, etc. because no matter what I believe in or enjoy, the world is a shallow place that will cast judgment based solely on what they see and perceive.

I laughed him off at the time, but only a few weeks after that I got into a fistfight with a teacher that was harassing me in class, calling me a devil worshipper, asking me if I slaughtered babies, etc. all because I wore Slayer shirts to school every day.

That was 20 years ago. Now I'm 37 years old, a husband and a father, and I work for the third largest bank in the U.S. I haven't had long hair since I was 20, but I'm sitting here in a Queensryche shirt and my 7-month old little girl has a Metallica onesie that she wears at least once a week. I wear metal shirts almost every single day because I have the fortune of being a telecommuter (I work from home full-time). However, on the rare occasions that I have to go into the office, I look exactly as you would expect someone working for a bank to look. Amazingly, I've found that there are a whole lot of people like me that look like Mr. Corporate America, yet are metal through-and-through.

My point is: don't sweat it dude. Wear what you want to wear. Don't think of it in terms of individuality because that's the wrong thing to do. If you wear metal shirts simply to be an individual, then you will definitely fall into the category of people this thread discusses: people for whom metal is just a phase. The people who wear it only for shock value. The pseudo-metal kiddies that think they can intimidate others just by wearing an offensive shirt. I wear metal shirts because I love metal. I view it no differently than the athlete who wears a Nike shirt because that's his favorite brand of running shoes. Or the armchair quarterback and NASCAR fans that plaster their favorite NFL team or driver number on their bumper. btw - My bumper sticker says "I'm fucking metal"
02.03.2008 - 19:00
stigma77
Account deleted
I think I've been listening metal for 15 years or so. Now it's to late to change!! I'm addicted!!
02.03.2008 - 22:03
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Søren on 02.03.2008 at 06:58

That was 20 years ago. Now I'm 37 years old, a husband and a father, and I work for the third largest bank in the U.S. I haven't had long hair since I was 20, but I'm sitting here in a Queensryche shirt and my 7-month old little girl has a Metallica onesie that she wears at least once a week. I wear metal shirts almost every single day because I have the fortune of being a telecommuter (I work from home full-time). However, on the rare occasions that I have to go into the office, I look exactly as you would expect someone working for a bank to look. Amazingly, I've found that there are a whole lot of people like me that look like Mr. Corporate America, yet are metal through-and-through.

Sounds like me: short hair, dress shirts and neckties, two degrees, accountant training, corporate office job. There's metal and then there's the real world - food on the table, roof over your head and bills to pay. Yet there is no sense of tension or contradiction between the two. They're perfectly complementary. Living in both worlds gives me a sense of depth and perspective in my life.
03.03.2008 - 01:23
alexh
Account deleted
I don't know... I go through phases with music in the sense that I don't listen to anything for a while, but nothing has captivated me as much as metal before. That being said, i dress perfectly normally and generally keep to myself. Right now, I can't see myself not listening to Maiden and black metal even for a week.

I like this music too much to just quit it, though. I doubt I will, but who knows. That being said, i'm not an extreme supporter of the imagery associated. I don't think that just because you like metal you can't act like any other pop-listener in the real world. However, I do find that the themes in most metal are very diverse and that I can't get into any type of metal... death metal is just unappealing to me.

The sound is heavy and it's more extreme. Just like opera and 'classical' music, which I both like. I've been an opera fan for a while, and I doubt i'll quit that. The idea is that if I won't listen to metal, i'll listen to nothing, as all other genres will be unappealing to my personality... unless i start hearing pop about paganism and rock about satanism on the radio, and not about false love and screwed-up relationships as well as cheating. Hell, i'm not a satanist but to me it appeals more than other shit solely about drugs and sex.

The black metal themes of 'the world is shit' will remain perfect for me because I'll deal with people more when I'm older and they're not going to be like my private-school teachers.

So, for some people it will be a phase for others it will last their whole life. Right now i'm leaning toward the latter, but i don't know. Anyway, i'm pretty sure that after college I won't have long hair, for example...
03.03.2008 - 18:18
archaeopteryx
Account deleted
I just found Metal Storm by accident, and I have to say that this is a great website.

I've been listening to metal for about 11 years now. I listened to rock and hard rock in high school because my parents were really strict with me and would go through my music collection looking for so-called "devil music." When I went away to college, I started listening to Metallica, Black Sabbath, Tool, and Led Zeppelin, and those bands really opened the door for me to get into the various sub-genres later on and discover some really good music.

I go through phases where I'll listen to certain sub-genres more than others. For a while I was really into drone metal, and I was into power metal for a time. Lately I've been listening more to avant-garde stuff and progressive metal and rock.

I can see my tastes changing and find myself listening to different types of metal, but I doubt I'll ever leave it behind completely. It's too big of a part of my life. When I've been through rough times, the music was there for me when it felt like no one else was. Yes, that sounds cheesy, but it really got me through some rough spots. The most important thing for me is to find music that speaks to me on a personal level, and I've found so many metal bands that do. Nothing I hear on the radio or on MTV (lol!) has anything important to say to me.
04.03.2008 - 02:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Author on 02.03.2008 at 22:03

Written by Søren on 02.03.2008 at 06:58

Sounds like me: short hair, dress shirts and neckties, two degrees, accountant training, corporate office job. There's metal and then there's the real world - food on the table, roof over your head and bills to pay. Yet there is no sense of tension or contradiction between the two. They're perfectly complementary. Living in both worlds gives me a sense of depth and perspective in my life.

Yep, it's part of growing up.

The "plastic up politics" of high school/college are over and done with. You are judged mroe based on who YOU are rather than to what 'groups' you belong.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.03.2008 - 11:48
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
Metal runs in my blood, can't live without it...
08.03.2008 - 01:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I really hope metal isn't a phase for me....or else I've dumped a lot of money into this "phase"....Too early to tell if its a phase for me or not. I can picture myself being into metal for the rest of my life, but then again, I also used to be convinced I was going to be a bear when I grew up.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.03.2008 - 00:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2008 at 01:40

I really hope metal isn't a phase for me....or else I've dumped a lot of money into this "phase"....

Hahahaha, yes, that can be so true. I myself hope that my almost 29-year on going metal "phase" won't end soon or else it is a damn shame I just spend 275 euros on two Kiss Kissology dvd boxes, a Led Zeppelin dvd, and Isole cd, Hellhammer - Demon Entrails cd and an Atheist 3 full-length plus one 7" vinyl limited to 1000 box set.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2008 - 00:09
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2008 at 00:06

I really hope metal isn't a phase for me....or else I've dumped a lot of money into this "phase"....

Hahahaha, yes, that can be so true. I myself hope that my almost 29-year on going metal "phase" won't end soon or else it is a damn shame I just spend 275 euros on two Kiss Kissology dvd boxes, a Led Zeppelin dvd, and Isole cd, Hellhammer - Demon Entrails cd and an Atheist 3 full-length plus one 7" vinyl limited to 1000 box set.

I'd say you have nothing to fear. You're almost at that age where you'll get stuck in your ways.
09.03.2008 - 00:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Author on 09.03.2008 at 00:09

I'd say you have nothing to fear. You're almost at that age where you'll get stuck in your ways.

That is true, just one more month to go and I am halfway. But hope for the sake of my wallet that I don't get too stuck in my ways
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2008 - 00:18
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2008 at 00:16

Written by Author on 09.03.2008 at 00:09

That is true, just one more month to go and I am halfway. But hope for the sake of my wallet that I don't get too stuck in my ways

Rejoice, Marcel! Your hard-earned money is going to a worthy cause.
10.03.2008 - 00:20
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by Xaphiris on 27.02.2008 at 13:25

Same here, tbh.

Damn right, metal is life
27.06.2008 - 19:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I was actually giving this some serious thought last night, and I came to a conclusion. It cant be a phase because its far too vast to simply "step away from". It would be like saying "Im not going to eat any food product with flour in it from now on." Yes it is possible, but its going to be difficult to find forms of music completely void of any metal influence. Instead I think we just go through phases within metal. Take me for example, for the past year (up until about a month or so ago) I was deep into the glam side of metal (obviously), before that it was constant epic folk metal; Turisas, Finntroll etc. But for the past few weeks Ive been slowly appreciating black metal more and more, I always enjoyed select bands, but now Im viewing it in a different way, hell, Im even learning to appreciate Ordo Ad Chao a little bit (anyone whos been around here for longer than a year will remember the ongoing battle between me and Damnated over that album). But at the same time its not like a fad, I will always enjoy glam rock/metal, and Im not going to turn my back on that brief period, but rather explore many other genres as they come to me. Hell, in a year or so I might learn to love power metal.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.06.2008 - 18:02
owl
(First time I lay eyes on this thread, heh)

"which people just go through a metal phase and which people plan on devoting their whole lives to metal?"
I don't think there's a clear answer to that.
As we grow up (or old), many of us will keep wanting to experiment new stuff. Some of that stuff will just linger on our minds for a moment and then it'll go away, and some of it will crawl deep into our soul and will never leave. But I don't think we can tell who's gonna stay in Metal for life or not.
I, for instance, have strayed (so to say) from Metal in my late teen years. Don't know why, I found something else that appealed to my ears and so I let Metal rest on the shelve for a couple of years. Back then I didn't know (or care) if I was ever coming back to it... but I did. And when I did, I realised I had never really left Metal. Well, actually, it was Metal who had never left me.

So you see... only life can tell who's gonna remain faithful or who's here just for a while.:)
----
30.06.2008 - 20:24
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i dont think ill ever stop listening to metal, i love it too much...i mean my dad is nearly 50, hes been listening to it since it first began, and he listens to it more than ever now.

i think metal for most people a part of their life its only music, and rather than just stop listening to it as they get older, they might just listen to different kinds...

ive realised though people who listen to r 'n'b or some crap like that are never told they are going through a phase...its only with metal. hmmm i wonder why that is?
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
30.06.2008 - 20:50
Kaiser_Soze
Account deleted
Metal is music, not a phase. Smoking with your friends in the school restrooms during recess is a phase.
01.07.2008 - 00:33
Tórnach
Account deleted
Well...when it comes to gothic shit I think it's a phase, but Metal is something people life with. I've liked bands like Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin for years now, and I don't plan to 'stop liking them' because it's a 'phase,' and I'm the same with Metal. My dad has liked Irish flute and early metal for 20 years now, he hasn't grown out of the 'phase'.

Same with everyone else, music ain't a phase at all, and more than that, it's entirely opinion based, and I don't see many people go through 'phases' of opinion.