Pestilence
Gorguts
Demilich
Quo Vadis
Martyr

Total votes: 165
30.11.2006 - 23:36
Stigmatized
I'm not an expert on this genre in any sense, as you can see by the poll choices. I basically tried to pick the bands that most seem to agree are Technical Death Metal. While I've grown to hate poll's with an "Other" option, I felt that this one needed it because one can usually argue whether a band is technical or not.

As for myself, I'm at a tie between Martyr and Psycroptic. Both are bands I was introduced to recently, and both are very solid. I guess I'll go with Martyr at this point. Their music hit me faster than Psycroptic's so I'll go with them.

What about you?
30.11.2006 - 23:48
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
My vote would go to Gorguts. Put simply, their music is "bat fuck insane", as you could read by my signature. Their riffs are amazingly complex and long; I don't know where one starts and another one ends. Considering I love bands that have weird sounds and structures, I love Gorguts. To put it in another way, "The band is strange, therefore, I love it."
30.11.2006 - 23:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I am going to be natiolistic here.... Pestilence, although Atheist is close second. Pestilence I chose over the newer bands also because they were much more inlfuential than bands such as Martyr, Psycroptic, Gorguts. Also Pestilence cause I painted the town red with them a couple of times. Those guys were a blast to get drunk and stoned with.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.12.2006 - 02:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I voted for other because Necrophagist is my favorite. I don't really like tech death, but Necrophagist blows me away every time I listen to them. Mohammed's voice is monstrous and he's one of the best guitarists out there. The riffs are fun to listen to and the solos are incredible. Atheist would be my second choice because of how creative they were.

Once Sleep Terror makes more material, I'm sure they will become my favorite.

Edit: I like Suffocation more than any bands that have been mentioned so far, but I don't really think of them as tech death, even though they are very technical.
01.12.2006 - 03:20
Stigmatized
Written by Dangerboner on 01.12.2006 at 02:24

I voted for other because Necrophagist is my favorite. I don't really like tech death, but Necrophagist blows me away every time I listen to them. Mohammed's voice is monstrous and he's one of the best guitarists out there. The riffs are fun to listen to and the solos are incredible. Atheist would be my second choice because of how creative they were.

Once Sleep Terror makes more material, I'm sure they will become my favorite.

Necrophagist is one of my favorite bands, period. I didn't put them in here because I felt that they would be an obvious winner. Of course, adding the "Other" option didn't help that cause really.
01.12.2006 - 03:49
Mega-Slayer
I cant decide,I really enjoy Gorguts,Pestilence,Atheist,Cynic and Cryptopsy.Though I own all of Pestilence' albums,I think its safe to say only 2 are technical,so I will go with other,CryptopsyI love their first 3 albums they display relentless brutality mixed with a high amount of technical skills.Basically if you love death metal Cryptopsy has it all,lightning-fast drum work,magnificent bass work,technical riffs and inhuman vocals.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
01.12.2006 - 11:19
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I'm going with Cynic here, but I love Atheist, Gorguts and Cryptopsy too...really close, I probably would've voted Atheist otherwise.
01.12.2006 - 11:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
i vote other because Neglected Fields are awsoem band
I had hera almoust all from them exept this years album
''Splenetic''

I had hera bout demos ''Sansara'' and ''Breathe''
there are Iron maiden cover ''only good die young'' and

about albums I realy enjoy ''Mefisto Lectonice'' its my fac album in genre
First album ''Synthinity'' ar egood too and I love it

Great band

http://www.myspace.com/neglectedfields
http://www.neglectedfields.lv old site was better

From list well I love
1)Quo Vadis its best band in gernre IMO from so know bands and I realy love old albums better , great great band

2 and 3th Its be Atheist and Cynic I cant choose witch are best, but I love bouth bands realy love evem there are thrash elements and if we talk about those 2 band sI shod mention Sadus good band

Sorry I hawnt hera other bands what you mention so I wont coment I just post some other bands
I just know Psycroptic are from Australia

From Others I can mention Bosnian band Broken Obilion I like it but its rear and there was link where was full album, but ist gone

Well and nocturnus where are Nocturnus firts DM band who us ekeybords

Of corse there are more bands but I justcant remeber them all, and I us eto know some 3-4 more but cant remeber

OK Misanthrope from France band are in metalstorm and Edge of Sanity too

OHH also Italian ban dSadis from Genoa early albums are great
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.12.2006 - 13:35
Stigmatized
Written by Bad English on 01.12.2006 at 11:32

From list well I love
1)Quo Vadis its best band in gernre IMO from so know bands and I realy love old albums better , great great band

If you think they're the best in the genre then why didn't you vote for them?
01.12.2006 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Stigmatized on 01.12.2006 at 13:35

Written by Bad English on 01.12.2006 at 11:32

From list well I love

If you think they're the best in the genre then why didn't you vote for them?

I mean best in gernre what are in votingpoll mentioned
----

apos;'
[image]
01.12.2006 - 19:29
Mega-Slayer
Well Kariasakis,I myself forgot to even mention how much of an awesome an talented band Nocturnus is,they are definitley one of my favs.,but hey I am not complaining that they aren't on the poll though,its fine how it is.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
01.12.2006 - 19:32
_HIV_
i have to say psycroptic! ... their guitars and drums are just amazing! they just click!
so yeay 4 Psycroptic
01.12.2006 - 20:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mega-Slayer on 01.12.2006 at 19:29

Well Kariasakis,I myself forgot to even mention how much of an awesome an talented band Nocturnus is,they are definitley one of my favs.,but hey I am not complaining that they aren't on the poll though,its fine how it is.

even how hard we try we always forgot mention all gands what we like in each poll

This are exelent abnd and specely first album, my freind ha sit on tape, its from early 90ties and I hanwt hera it long, but when I take it I love listening it
----

apos;'
[image]
01.12.2006 - 21:33
LethargyMan
I voted for Gorguts, but in reality I was voting for Steeve Hurdle, who was the creative mind on the Obscura album. His previous band, Purulence, had the same taste as Obscura, and the reunion of Luc Lemay and Steeve Hurdle in Negativa is continuing that sweet Obscura sound I love. I also own From Wisodm to Hate, but I really haven't listened to that one recently.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
02.12.2006 - 17:33
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Psycroptic hands down... come on, have to vote for home town lads

Dave Haley is just an awsome talent on drum. The skills he possesses (3-4 hours of practice a day) is just something that really makes this band stand out. His technicality with the crashes and symbols mixed in with blast beats and the constant barage of the bass drum just leaves me awe. Not to meantion hes a freakin' nice guy to talk to, really friendly.

Joe Haley and Cam Grant come up with great memorable (i listen to them more than once a day) riffs that just ooze technical greatness. Though im sure their old vocalist Matthew Chalk had a part in writting the music one the first two albums as he wrote the lyrics on them and has a number of music projects that he contributes alot too playing guitars, bass and drums.... oh and of coarse vocals.

Love both vocalist, Chalk on their first to albums was just awsome doing low gutural growls to doing a higher pitched growl, and Jason Peppiatt on their latest masterpiece. Jason reminds me of Sauron's (Decapitated) growls on 'The Negation' and 'Winds Of Creation' albums. Thouigh i prefer Chalks vocals as his contribution writting the lyrics, Jason has been a let down.

They are just as good live too, and are one hell of a hard working band. Now they've gotten more known around the world, they've been touring like crazy supporting big bands in Australia and in Europe... and when they're not touring the guys are writing for their next album or doing stuff with their other projects.

Ah yeh wrote alot opps, oh well. In the name of Psycroptic, i vote thee
----

Hellcunt Smurf
02.12.2006 - 18:16
Stigmatized
Written by Xtreme Jax on 02.12.2006 at 17:33

What a suprise.
02.12.2006 - 18:49
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Stigmatized on 02.12.2006 at 18:16

Written by Xtreme Jax on 02.12.2006 at 17:33

What a suprise.

----

Hellcunt Smurf
09.12.2006 - 22:12
Richard
Elite
I'll go for Demilich - a fairly recent discovery for me, but becoming one of my current faves. Although the music is technical, it's quite easy to follow and certainly not over-technical for the sake of it, as with many bands. Most importantly, they maintain a morbid atmosphere, and their own sense of identity.

As for Cynic - this may be controversial, but I'm not too fond of Cynic's 'Focus'. I'm sure that if this album was new, released today, then people wouldn't even consider it to be Death Metal - it seems that people judge it with different criteria because of the year it was released and the scene it was associated with.
----
09.12.2006 - 23:31
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
out of this list: gorguts is first with atheist in second. i always thought that atheist were great but the production was a bit feeble which let them down.

early cryptopsy has got to be my favourite technical death stuff though. Also, the 2nd dawn of azazel album is excellent (unlike the first album. DoA = best musical progression ever)
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
10.12.2006 - 01:18
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
I voted "other" because my favorite is Decapitated. I like all their albums.
10.12.2006 - 02:08
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I chose Gorguts because for me "Obscura" is such a mindfuck (their other albums are nothing for me). Although I now listen to it rarely I still consider it to be a landmark. This is simply otherworldly music.
Technical death is one of the most interesting sub-genres for me, although I may be too stupid to make clear distinctions between subgenres. Demilich was my most recent discovery, love those vocals.
10.12.2006 - 14:35
KMR
It's a genre which evolve into one form to another those past fwe years even into divided uncomparable terms, anyway I'll stay with bands like Sadus and Atheist maybe Nocturnus (maybe hardly to say theses are pure DM, anyway without this bands among with Death many different band wouldn't even have been published). Even Massacra was a little bit technical maybe not in so pure tech dm .
And yes, I apprieciate work some more brutal ones like Gorguts (brilliant "Obscura" which is in fact technical), some works of Martyr, Psycroptic, Necrophagist or Sceptic. Good to see some bands are keeping this subgenre fresh.

btw. about Demilich, they were one of first tech DM bands (maybe even first) with guttural grind voice, nice band. But as many bands in this subgenre splitted up too fast.. pity.
----
Nothing is sacred.
12.12.2006 - 07:48
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...my favorite group would be necrophagist, that's why i voted for other...from those there, i'd say quo vadis...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
12.12.2006 - 15:50
Sunioj
Pestilence is pretty goddamn good, other than that Id pick Atheist, and those not on the list I would say cryptopsy, necrophagist, eternal gray, then a unsure pick would be decapitated.
14.12.2006 - 19:01
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I'm voting for other. Suffocation gets my vote, and yes, they are technical death. All of their material has been nothing short of amazing and they have had some of the best guitarists in DM. Off the list I would take Atheist, Gorguts, Psycroptic, Cryptopsy, or Cynic. I'm not quite sure about who I would vote for from the poll.
14.12.2006 - 21:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I'll go with Demilich on this one.

It's mainly because I don't really like the other bands. However, Demilich, Pestilence and some other bands are great. It was a tough one between Pestilence and Demilich, but Demilich has won my vote here.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.12.2006 - 03:49
KMR
I like the sound of Demilich (love good ol school riffing), but I'm far from admiring vocalist work - simply too grindy for me.

btw. If you like tech metal with such grind vocals try french Gorgasm.
----
Nothing is sacred.
16.12.2006 - 04:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Richard on 09.12.2006 at 22:12

As for Cynic - this may be controversial, but I'm not too fond of Cynic's 'Focus'. I'm sure that if this album was new, released today, then people wouldn't even consider it to be Death Metal - it seems that people judge it with different criteria because of the year it was released and the scene it was associated with.

I totally agree. They aren't death metal at all, and I think people consider them a death metal band because of their demos.
25.12.2006 - 07:16
Eternal Flames
I've taken quite a huge interest in technical death metal bands. While not being a very big technical death metal fan a few months ago, I've really taken a shine to the genre. From this poll, it comes really close between Pestilence, Atheist and Demilich. I really love the newer technical death metal bands also, but I still feel that the old school sound appeals to me more. Anyway, after some thought I decided to vote for Atheist. Demilich only really had the one release (though it was one hell of a masterpiece) and I really couldn't decide between Pestilence and Atheist, I suppose I've found myself listening to Atheist quite a lot more lately hence my vote went to them. Elements and Unquestionable Presence still amaze me every time I listen to them. The songs are very complex yet still very enjoyable.
04.01.2007 - 21:22
matthioso
to me In-Quest is the best technical death metal band
----
www.seedofrock.be