Metal Storm logo
Technical Death Metal poll

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 30.11.2006 - 23:36
I'm not an expert on this genre in any sense, as you can see by the poll choices. I basically tried to pick the bands that most seem to agree are Technical Death Metal. While I've grown to hate poll's with an "Other" option, I felt that this one needed it because one can usually argue whether a band is technical or not.

As for myself, I'm at a tie between Martyr and Psycroptic. Both are bands I was introduced to recently, and both are very solid. I guess I'll go with Martyr at this point. Their music hit me faster than Psycroptic's so I'll go with them.

What about you?

Poll

Your favorite?

Other
Atheist
Cynic
Psycroptic
Pestilence
Gorguts
Demilich
Quo Vadis
Martyr

Total votes: 165
20.01.2011 - 19:39
I dunno if I'd call Cynic technical death metal. They were on Focus kinda but they got way more proggy on Traced in Air.

They're a great fucking band though.
28.01.2011 - 10:15
MissMetal86
Gorguts & Cynic
29.01.2011 - 10:49
SlaytanicGonzo
Necrophagist
02.04.2011 - 14:17
zero
I'm more into bands like Gorguts. Necrophagist is too demonstrative for me
02.04.2011 - 22:09
Yasmine
Atheist or Mithras, Origin's last album is also more tech than most of the things mentioned. Arsis too.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
03.04.2011 - 01:41
@gent_-_orange
I Vote Demilich.. I just love the insanity of it all.. really has to be heard to be believed.
03.04.2011 - 02:00
Yasmine
Written by @gent_-_orange on 03.04.2011 at 01:41

I Vote Demilich.. I just love the insanity of it all.. really has to be heard to be believed.

I reserve that statement for VERY few bands they don't even come close to being one. Arsis, Mithras, etc as far technicality goes are far more extreme. The only selling point their is odd song structures and vocals. 1 decent album, blah.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
03.04.2011 - 02:02
@gent_-_orange
Written by Yasmine on 03.04.2011 at 02:00

I reserve that statement for VERY few bands they don't even come close to being one. Arsis, Mithras, etc as far technicality goes are far more extreme. The only selling point their is odd song structures and vocals. 1 decent album, blah.

But i liked that album
03.04.2011 - 02:09
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Pestilence was the first death metal band I heard. Guess I'll always love them. My vote goes to them. Crypotpsy, Atheist, and Gorguts are also close up there.
03.04.2011 - 02:10
Yasmine
Written by @gent_-_orange on 03.04.2011 at 02:02

But i liked that album

Awww it's a good album, I admit the vocals turn me off a little, but technically not as impressive as Arsis. I mean I like Atheist's Piece of Time as one of my fav tech death albums, but I think Mithras' Worlds beyond Veils is more impressive. Just a matter of my taste vs what is in fact more technical. I ask myself that a lot when people ask me "what is the best DM" etc.
----
03.04.2011 - 02:24
@gent_-_orange
Written by Yasmine on 03.04.2011 at 02:10

But i liked that album

Awww it's a good album, I admit the vocals turn me off a little, but technically not as impressive as Arsis. I mean I like Atheist's Piece of Time as one of my fav tech death albums, but I think Mithras' Worlds beyond Veils is more impressive. Just a matter of my taste vs what is in fact more technical. I ask myself that a lot when people ask me "what is the best DM" etc.

Good points, I agree with you on worlds beyond the veil. the good thing about most the bands on this list is that they dont delve into pointless wankery,Instead keep the focus on actual songwriting.

Anyways if i didnt vote for Demilich i would have went for either Cynic or Pestilence, Focus and Spheres are both excellent in my book.
03.04.2011 - 02:32
Yasmine
Written by @gent_-_orange on 03.04.2011 at 02:24

But i liked that album

Good points, I agree with you on worlds beyond the veil. the good thing about most the bands on this list is that they dont delve into pointless wankery,Instead keep the focus on actual songwriting.

Anyways if i didnt vote for Demilich i would have went for either Cynic or Pestilence, Focus and Spheres are both excellent in my book.

Spheres! Keep that in my car at all times, I love it.

As for pointless wank, I think that gets over used. A lot of people say that when Guitarist B is obviously more skilled than guitarist A, but they're only a fan of guitarist A. I understand some people do get absurd. I am guilty of it here and there......ok kinda funny coming from a chick, take a minute to laugh. lol

But I do enjoy a bit of the tech solos, etc. However some bone crushing or thrash riffs have to drive these songs at least a little bit.
----
03.04.2011 - 02:48
@gent_-_orange
Written by Yasmine on 03.04.2011 at 02:32

Written by @gent_-_orange on 03.04.2011 at 02:24

But i liked that album

But I do enjoy a bit of the tech solos, etc. However some bone crushing or thrash riffs have to drive these songs at least a little bit.

Agreed... I dont mind technicality at all. But its when a band uses the technicality purely to show off is my problem. Case in point would be brain drill... They are obviously talented musicians but i really cant stand their music... it just comes off as showing off and songwriting suffers for it.
04.04.2011 - 07:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
Right now im really into Decrepit Birth, awesome album that is Polarity .. its fucking insane

Also, I bought Starve For The Devil by Arsis not so long ago, great album not their best but a really good one.
And also Asylon, Neuraxis's last album is good you guys should look it up.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.04.2011 - 08:04
Yasmine
I Didn't like the last Neuraxis, but the one before that was killer.
----
04.04.2011 - 08:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 08:04

I Didn't like the last Neuraxis, but the one before that was killer.

Yeah -The Thin Line Between- was a great release I enjoy it so much
Still make it turn in my ears few times a day

But the new one is a killer album aswell.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.04.2011 - 08:16
Yasmine
Yea I perfer The Thin Line Between to be honest. Mostly been listening to Mithras and Origin lately though.
----
04.04.2011 - 08:31
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 08:16

Yea I perfer The Thin Line Between to be honest. Mostly been listening to Mithras and Origin lately though.

Did you listen to Polarity By Decrepit Birth
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.04.2011 - 08:41
Yasmine
Written by Guib on 04.04.2011 at 08:31

Yea, it's pretty kool stuff in the vain of Nocturnus' They Key, Mithras is a little more ......interesting sounding, with much faster drumming. All good stuff, I enjoy MOST tech death.
----
04.04.2011 - 08:55
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 08:41

Yea, it's pretty kool stuff in the vain of Nocturnus' They Key, Mithras is a little more ......interesting sounding, with much faster drumming. All good stuff, I enjoy MOST tech death.

Cool ! Then if you're searching for some new TDM bands to listen to just hop in my TDM list on my profile im sure there will be some you never heard of !
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.04.2011 - 09:28
Yasmine
Written by Guib on 04.04.2011 at 08:55

Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 08:41

Cool ! Then if you're searching for some new TDM bands to listen to just hop in my TDM list on my profile im sure there will be some you never heard of !

I'll be checking it out when I'm not hopped up on pain meds, kinda outta it now. lol
----
07.04.2011 - 03:17
Guib
Thrash Talker
Just btw guys, Insurrection has been added to metalstorm they're a technical death metal band from my hometown ! check them out
on their band's profile page.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.04.2011 - 07:46
Kevorkian
Written by Guib on 04.04.2011 at 07:42

Right now im really into Decrepit Birth, awesome album that is Polarity .. its fucking insane

Also, I bought Starve For The Devil by Arsis not so long ago, great album not their best but a really good one.

I've only heard Decrepit Birth's "Diminishing Between Worlds", and as much as I want to get into it (they are all clearly talented musicians), I just can't. I feel that their music is just too crazy, in that as soon as I get into a sweet riff or melody, they switch it up to something totally different.

Arsis, on the other hand, are awesome. I love "Starve For the Devil", which is a vast improvement over "We Are the Nightmare".
20.04.2011 - 17:20
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Kevorkian on 13.04.2011 at 07:46

I've only heard Decrepit Birth's "Diminishing Between Worlds", and as much as I want to get into it (they are all clearly talented musicians), I just can't. I feel that their music is just too crazy, in that as soon as I get into a sweet riff or melody, they switch it up to something totally different.

Arsis, on the other hand, are awesome. I love "Starve For the Devil", which is a vast improvement over "We Are the Nightmare".

You should really try Polarity ... I'm sure you'd like it better.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.04.2011 - 10:32
*MetalSlave*
Written by Guib on 20.04.2011 at 17:20

Written by Kevorkian on 13.04.2011 at 07:46

You should really try Polarity ... I'm sure you'd like it better.

I second that, Polarity is amazing.

My favourites in tech death
Necrophagist
Gorod
Obscura
Gorguts
Decrepit Birth
Psycroptic
29.06.2011 - 16:17
Aristarchos
Lykathea aflame
02.07.2011 - 23:41
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Necrophagist were the ones responsible for getting me into death metal.
04.07.2011 - 18:34
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 02.07.2011 at 23:41

Necrophagist were the ones responsible for getting me into death metal.

and Decrepit Birth, Anata, Arsis, Quo Vadis, Gorguts, Cryptopsy, Decapitated, Spawn of Possession and more are responsible for keeping you in lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.01.2017 - 00:22
BEHEMOTH 1
This list doesn't properly represent tech death. We're is decapitated, Cryptopsy, or necrophagist?
12.01.2017 - 10:59
Ganondox
Aside from Psycroptic, Athiest, and Gorguts, the poll options confuse me. Cynic isn't really techdeath, and why those other bands over countless more popular techdeath acts?