Metal Storm logo
Cover songs that you didn't know they were

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 20.01.2007 - 09:17
i just find out some cover songs i never imagined they were actually covers here some

Temple of the king - Rainbow Mago de oz did it they called (el templo del adios)

Wuthering Heights - Kate bush Angra did it

My Number one - Helena paparizou Dream evil did it

that last one freaked me out lol

so what about you?
18.01.2008 - 23:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Warman on 18.01.2008 at 22:55

Written by Ellrohir on 18.01.2008 at 22:48

Written by Warman on 18.01.2008 at 15:42

Written by Ellrohir on 09.01.2008 at 21:51

Graveworm - Loosing My Religion (R.E.M.)

You didn't know that was a cover at first?

i maybe didnt get the idea of the topic...i thought it was created for songs, you of course know they are covers, but you didnt know the band made them, or?

The topic is about songs you didn't know were covers. For instance, The Fire Still Burns by Cradle Of Filth... a song I didn't know was a cover, I thought it was a Cradle Of Filth song. Later I learned it was originally made by Twisted Sister.

ah...my bad then ops: then 3/4 of my posts here are out of topic
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.01.2008 - 01:50
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Dr. Rock: I've never heard much Jefferson Airplane to tell the truth.
19.01.2008 - 21:06
TombstoneHighway
Account deleted
Thirsty and Miserable - Saint Vitus

For a long time I didn't know it was a Black Flag cover. Incidentally, once I found that out I started listening to Black Flag...

They're not bad
20.01.2008 - 23:31
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I only just realised 'The Sound Of Silence' by Nevermore on Dead Heart In A Dead World, is actually the song written by Simon And Garfunkle. It sounds nothing alike though really.
04.02.2008 - 01:30
doomina
Account deleted
Fu Manchu - Godzilla (Blue Oyster Cult)
23.02.2008 - 21:36
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
For a few years I had been listening to Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral, and a great song off of it "Hurt." Then one day I heard Johnny Cash singing the same song and assumed that NIN had covered it because why would Johnny Cash cover them? I knew he had been out since the 1960's and the song won "Country Music Single of the Year," so my assumptions were fairly rational. Not until two days ago when I found out in the Johnny Cash forums that "Hurt" is an original NIN song written by Trent Reznor and covered by Cash right before his death, his final hit.
23.02.2008 - 23:33
keenster86
Account deleted
Avantasia covered Abba.. with "Lay all your love on me"... I thought it was a great song... still do but... I would have never guessed.
28.02.2008 - 03:14
tulkas
el parcero
a friend told me that graveworm had a cover of the song 'take on me' from a-ha! does anyone know about this? 'cause i didn't really belive him
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
28.02.2008 - 08:39
Vunts
Honestly, I didn't know Lacuna Coil - Enjoy the Silence was a cover of a Depeche Mode song. I still like it though!
01.03.2008 - 03:59
Vitokogvy
Some years ago, I was listening to Eric Clapton, "Cocaine"!!, when some friends came to my house, and then Clapton started to sing "knockin on heavens door". and one girl told me : "hey, is that a avril lavigne song?" and a friend of mine started to laugh, and said: "not, this a guns and roses song, who is the artist that covered it?" and i said well this is Eric Clapton but the song was written by bob dylan!!!
----
Victor!! i will live until u die!
http://bloodyashes.blogspot.com
http://www.heavymetal.com.pe
24.04.2008 - 03:13
Haightredy
Roses On White Lace by Arsis. Amasing song. Took a while before I knew it was an Alice Cooper Song.
11.05.2008 - 12:17
Hrothdane
The Wizard by Blind Guardian, listened to that song for a year without knowing it was a uriah heep song

Rasputin by Turisas. i seriously never would have guessed that a finnish viking metal band would cover a 70s disco song.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
11.05.2008 - 15:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hrothdane on 11.05.2008 at 12:17

The Wizard by Blind Guardian, listened to that song for a year without knowing it was a uriah heep song

first I hear original verse long loing years after I only discovere Blind Guardian
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.05.2008 - 03:14
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Hey who originally wrote "Your Mama Don't Dance"?
16.05.2008 - 00:50
GRIGAL
Account deleted
Written by Vitokogvy on 01.03.2008 at 03:59

Some years ago, I was listening to Eric Clapton, "Cocaine"!!, when some friends came to my house, and then Clapton started to sing "knockin on heavens door". and one girl told me : "hey, is that a avril lavigne song?" and a friend of mine started to laugh, and said: "not, this a guns and roses song, who is the artist that covered it?" and i said well this is Eric Clapton but the song was written by bob dylan!!!

Incidentally Eric Clapton is actually doing a cover with 'Cocaine'! I can't remember who recorded the original song but it was recorded sometime in the 1960's...I believe.
20.05.2008 - 23:51
GRIGAL
Account deleted
ok now I remember...'Cocaine' was originally written by JJ Cale.
21.05.2008 - 17:51
TheBigRossowski
When I FIRST got into metal I bought Cradle of Filth's Lovecraft and Witchhearts (it had the most music, 2DISC). I heard "Sodomy and Lust" and I thought, oh, this is badass!!! Only one year later I learned that it was actually Sodom's song....

Its great thinking where you started from in metal...

"Bathe in Sin, sadistic souls, break the crust, SODOMY AND LUST!"
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
03.06.2008 - 21:52
Anacrusis
Account deleted
When I first heard 'I Love The World' by Anacrusis, I had no idea it was a cover. Makes me want to find the original and give it a listen to see how it compares.
05.06.2008 - 04:35
ASiema113
Had no idea that "Elizabeth Bathory" wasn't one of Dissection's original songs, just seemed so natural & blended in so well to the rest of their sound that I didn't have any doubts. But be it as it may, Tormentor is the originator of the song & I can see why they decided to cover it. The main riff is catchy but not overlly so that it takes away from the rest of the song & makes me wonder what other good songs does Tormentor have?
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
05.06.2008 - 07:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
It took me a long long time to figure out that Voice In The Wind wasn't a While Heaven Wept orignal but a cover from an unknown 70s German band called Jane.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2008 - 08:19
Anarchist
Written by tulkas on 28.02.2008 at 03:14

a friend told me that graveworm had a cover of the song 'take on me' from a-ha! does anyone know about this? 'cause i didn't really belive him

Aha? Holy shit, I was surprised when I heard them cover Losing My Religion by REM.
26.08.2008 - 08:39
5.T.4.L.k.E.R
i didn't know that "Hallowed be Thy Name" was originally an Iron Maiden song, i always thought it was a Cradle of Filth song WTF

when i first heard "Oops... I Did it Again" by Children of Bodom [covering Britney Spears] i laughed my fuckung ass off, it's funny
but later i kinda liked it
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
29.08.2008 - 08:55
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by 5.T.4.L.k.E.R on 26.08.2008 at 08:39

when i first heard "Oops... I Did it Again" by Children of Bodom [covering Britney Spears] i laughed my fuckung ass off, it's funny
but later i kinda liked it

Haha yeah i was the same when i first heard it. I couldnt believe what i was hearing lol.
29.08.2008 - 08:58
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by Dark Cornatus on 20.01.2008 at 23:31

I only just realised 'The Sound Of Silence' by Nevermore on Dead Heart In A Dead World, is actually the song written by Simon And Garfunkle. It sounds nothing alike though really.

I already knew that so there
Of course it sounds nothing alike... Nevermore is metal, duh!!
29.08.2008 - 09:20
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Oracle on 29.08.2008 at 08:58

Yes thanks for that observation :p .... i missed that! I meant the sound of the tune/melody.
29.08.2008 - 09:51
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by Dark Cornatus on 29.08.2008 at 09:20

Yes thanks for that observation :p .... i missed that! I meant the sound of the tune/melody.

Lol. I know what you meant.. I was only being a dickhead
29.08.2008 - 11:38
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dark Cornatus on 29.08.2008 at 09:20

if you don't know, Love Bites is a Judas Priest cover too, though it sounds nothing like the original.
29.08.2008 - 21:42
Nazeef
I fell in love with Adagio playing Fame (a famous disco song)
I didn't know about the cover album of "between the burried and me" the Anatomy, it was really cool, the Pantera and Metallica Covers..
I discovered the Kylie Minogue Cover by Angtoria in the album "god has a plan for us all".
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
29.08.2008 - 23:30
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite

i didn't know that "Hallowed be Thy Name" was originally an Iron Maiden song, i always thought it was a Cradle of Filth song WTF

Just remember, Graveworm covered it, not Cradle Of Filth. Its always mislabelled.
29.08.2008 - 23:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 29.08.2008 at 23:30

Just remember, Graveworm covered it, not Cradle Of Filth. Its always mislabelled.

Cradle Of Filth DID cover it and that one is featured on A Tribute To The Beast volume 1. http://www.maiden-world.com/tribute-albums/tribute_to_the_beast.html

Graveworm covered Fear of the Dark on A Tribute To The Beast volume 2. http://www.maiden-world.com/tribute-albums/tribute_to_the_beast_volume2.html
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996