Metal Storm logo
Cover songs that you didn't know they were

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 20.01.2007 - 09:17
i just find out some cover songs i never imagined they were actually covers here some

Temple of the king - Rainbow Mago de oz did it they called (el templo del adios)

Wuthering Heights - Kate bush Angra did it

My Number one - Helena paparizou Dream evil did it

that last one freaked me out lol

so what about you?
05.03.2007 - 04:34
Laevos
Account deleted
"No Remorse" (Metallica), performed by Cannibal Corpse. I don't really like Metallica, but this cover just kick asses. Well, I felt some disapointment, too... but then my respect to Metallica grew a bit.
24.03.2007 - 06:56
FrOsTmOuRnE 0_o
Account deleted
A Fine Day To Die (Bathory Cover) Emperor
Fade To Black (Metallica cover) Sonata Artica
Die With Your Boots On (Maiden) Sonata Artica
24.03.2007 - 12:40
Anathemani@c
Written by Warman on 04.03.2007 at 23:39

Written by ilicit on 04.03.2007 at 23:27

Written by Warman on 04.03.2007 at 23:22

Written by ilicit on 04.03.2007 at 23:10

Opeth - Circle of Tyrants.
When I've discovered that it was from Celtic Frost I was a bit disapointed.. I still prefer Opeth's version

If I knew I could kick your ass, I'd probably do it of anger... how can you say so you brutal savage!!!

I didnt get it. Did you knew it was from Celtic Frost ? Or you are angry cuz I told you it was ?

I love the original version by CF and think it's a lot better than the Opeth one, therefore I'd trie to kick your ass for liking the cover more than the true classic.

To tell the truth I mostly prefer Obituary's cover of the circle of the tyrants.. This was my very first touch with this song.. Although I dont like Opeth's cover that much. So: 1.Obituary , 2.Celtic Frost, 3.Opeth
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
24.03.2007 - 12:46
Anathemani@c
Iron Maiden - Doctor,doctor (UFO)
Also, I think Nevermore's Sound Of Silence is a killed song. It has nothing to do with the Simon and Garfunkel song..
----
Trapped in time
25.03.2007 - 11:36
FrOsTmOuRnE
Account deleted
and just today Arch Enemy doing that song from MegaDeath - Symphony of Destruction it sounded so bad
25.03.2007 - 13:29
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Anathemani@c on 24.03.2007 at 12:46

Iron Maiden - Doctor,doctor (UFO)

This one's a cover?
I didn't know this! Nevertheless a very good song
----
that which shines without names and forms...
27.03.2007 - 05:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Well this may be slightly off topic but there was no point in creating a totally new thread for my one question.

Theres this live cover of the Maiden song 'The Trooper' thats been floating around the internet, and its labeled as Bodom, but Ive been told its not actually Bodom, just a band that sounds similar, if anyone knows what im talking about, could someone tell me what band it is if its not in fact Bodom?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.03.2007 - 20:34
nihan
i learned that don't talk to strangers was originally performed by dio. i thought it was blind guardian's song!

@ dr. rock:it isn't covered by bodom indeed , it is covered by sentenced (says wikipedia)
29.03.2007 - 23:16
Anathemani@c
Did you also know that Nightmares by the sea, in the tonight's music alboum by Katatonia is originally from Jeff Buckley?
----
Trapped in time
22.05.2007 - 06:48
tulkas
el parcero
i just found out yesterday children of bodom also had a cover of poison's 'talk dirty to me'

it's a bonus on the 'are you dead yet' album, and i didn't know it, haha. it's kinda cool, although i guess they'll never top 'oops i did it again'
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
22.05.2007 - 13:45
Eight
Shapeshifter
Ah, the song 'Carry on Dancing' by Savage Garden originally, i thought it was Entwine's... But i like coversong better than original
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
23.05.2007 - 17:21
Blackwinged 666
Account deleted
Sodom's Hazy shade of Winter.... It was obvious cover, because it does not sound like a Sodom song, but I was surprised when I understoo it was Simon and Garfunkel cover.

And one more cover - Dark Funeral's Satanic Blood original version is made by VON.
23.05.2007 - 19:51
RavenLord
Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2007 at 05:10

Well this may be slightly off topic but there was no point in creating a totally new thread for my one question.

Theres this live cover of the Maiden song 'The Trooper' thats been floating around the internet, and its labeled as Bodom, but Ive been told its not actually Bodom, just a band that sounds similar, if anyone knows what im talking about, could someone tell me what band it is if its not in fact Bodom?

Sentenced covered The Trooper on their EP 'The Trooper', but it wasn't live.
----
23.05.2007 - 20:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by RavenLord on 23.05.2007 at 19:51

Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2007 at 05:10

Sentenced covered The Trooper on their EP 'The Trooper', but it wasn't live.

Thats a pretty old post of mine, I already found it a while ago, thanks anyways!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.06.2007 - 19:26
mansonnette
Account deleted
Cradle Of Filth - No Time To Cry.The original's from The Sisters Of Mercy
Dope - You Spin Me Round. The original's from Dead Or Alive
10.06.2007 - 18:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
Does someone know if The Fire Still Burns by Cradle of Filth is a cover? I'm wondering since it's written by a Daniel Snider and not the band.
----
11.06.2007 - 17:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Warman on 10.06.2007 at 18:30

Does someone know if The Fire Still Burns by Cradle of Filth is a cover? I'm wondering since it's written by a Daniel Snider and not the band.

Daniel Snider = D. Snider = Dee Snider, so guess which band orignally recorded The Fire Still Burns.
Yep, that's right, Twisted Sister
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.06.2007 - 17:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.06.2007 at 17:19

Written by Warman on 10.06.2007 at 18:30

Daniel Snider = D. Snider = Dee Snider, so guess which band orignally recorded The Fire Still Burns.
Yep, that's right, Twisted Sister

Thanks, that was what I suspected.
Well, so it's a cover then, probably one of the best covers I've ever heard in that case!
----
11.06.2007 - 17:52
KryptoN
imperceptible
When I first listened to "These Low Lands" by Swallow the Sun I didn't know it was "Alavilla mailla" by Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus, but with English lyrics and slower tempo. Although it sounded very familiar since I had heard "Alavilla mailla" many times earlier.

Also Viikate's "Rauta-airot" is a Finnish version of Motörhead's "Iron Horse / Born to Lose" which I didn't know at first since the cover was so well disguised in Viikate's style. They also have some other covers I think, but I haven't checked what they are.
12.06.2007 - 08:58
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Better By You Better Than Me-Judas Priest (not sure of the origonal artist)
15.06.2007 - 22:19
RavenLord
Written by Guest on 12.06.2007 at 08:58

Better By You Better Than Me-Judas Priest (not sure of the origonal artist)

Spooky Tooth. It was the one which had the 'subliminal' message that 'led' two kids to commit suicide (even though the 'message' was nothing but 'do it').

Anyway, I just found out that Anthrax's 'Got The Time' is a slightly altered cover of the Joe Jackson song of the same name. I thought it was theirs, which just goes to show how good a cover it is.
----
15.06.2007 - 23:24
Germ
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.03.2007 at 06:56

Omfg!!!!!!!!!!!! Both Emperor's Fine Day to Die and Sonata's Die with Your Boots were two of mine as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO weird.

If fact, when I was first getting into black metal and got Nightside Eclipse i didn't know about the Bathory cover or the Mercyful Fate cover. Then I got Blood Fire Death, and thought i've heard this before.....

.....then, as I got more into FWOBM, I heard Mercyful Fate's version of Gypsy, and almost shit my pants!!!
15.06.2007 - 23:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Nightwish have also covered High Hopes originaly by Pink Floyd, Where Were You Last Night by Ankie Bagger and Crimson Tide / Deep Blue Sea by Hans Zimmer...only by the way, beacuse i have found only Over The Hills And Far Away in this topic :-)

i'd say all these covers sounds better to me than originals
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.06.2007 - 00:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I've never heard Nightwish's over of High Hopes, but I have no doubts that it pales in comparison to the original.

The cover that I did not know was not a cover at first - Strapping Young Lad's version of Cop Shoot Cop's "Room 429" off "City."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.06.2007 - 00:07
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by BitterCOld on 16.06.2007 at 00:04

I've never heard Nightwish's over of High Hopes, but I have no doubts that it pales in comparison to the original.

It's total shit indeed. I dunno whether studio record is available or only live one (that's what i'm talking about). It's almost impossible to say what song i'm listening to without listening for a while...So cheap cover.
And it's obvious that Gilmour can sing better drunk than that one miserable singer.
16.06.2007 - 01:52
Uller
Written by Guest on 24.03.2007 at 06:56

dude... i have no problem with the english errors... but is sonata ar"C"tica
----
16.06.2007 - 01:53
Uller
Hellion - Children of bodom is originaly a song of W.A.S.P ??
----
16.06.2007 - 04:31
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
At first I didnt know that Over the Hills and Far Away (Nightwish) was a Gary More cover
----
16.06.2007 - 21:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
High Hopes are only on End of an Era DVD (seventh track), i suppose...

and i don't think Marco's version is shit...vice versa - i have listened to Pink Floyd's original and i was totaly disappointed of the lack of the athmosphere and power i have felt in Nightwish's cover...maybe it was caused by the athmosphere of Helsinki very special concert...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.06.2007 - 05:34
Stigmatized
I just found out that tracks 2, 3 and 4 on Anorexia Nervosa's "The September EP" were covers. I'm a big fan of the X-Japan cover of "I'll Kill You" so it's kind of weird to find out that it's not an AN original.