Metal Storm logo
Cover songs that you didn't know they were

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 20.01.2007 - 09:17
i just find out some cover songs i never imagined they were actually covers here some

Temple of the king - Rainbow Mago de oz did it they called (el templo del adios)

Wuthering Heights - Kate bush Angra did it

My Number one - Helena paparizou Dream evil did it

that last one freaked me out lol

so what about you?
28.01.2007 - 16:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bitch Boy on 21.01.2007 at 03:58

Written by Lucas on 20.01.2007 at 21:16

Well, it took me a long time to find out that 'Oops, I did it again' from Children Of Bodom was actually a Britney Spears songs.. :

and which one do you prefer? The cover or the original one??

Both made me laugh a LOT when I first heard them, so it is hard for me.. Both are pretty funny.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.01.2007 - 19:32
okt31
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.01.2007 at 11:51

Written by Guest on 28.01.2007 at 01:39

Written by Guest on 27.01.2007 at 22:45

Written by Guest on 26.01.2007 at 22:26

Bleh, and it was the same with Sound Of Silence, by Atrocity again, its a german song by Simon and Garfunkel, some 80's pop stuff i think. But i was less disappointed this time.

SoS is a classic! even Nevermore on Dreaming Neon Black did it! and they did it very well i must say!

No, they did it on Dead Heart in a Dead World.. Nevertheless it's great.. by the way, their cover of the Priest classic Love Bites is veeeery different.. They have some weird covers..

yeah you are right sry for that...
their covers are like the lyrics of the song and a whole new different music

Kind of! But some reminiscent ideas of the original are still there:) Anyway, well said, my friend!!
03.02.2007 - 20:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
skyclad-come on eileen. apparently it's a song by some obscure 80s band and it was their only hit.
04.02.2007 - 17:14
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Just this morning I heard Entombed covering Motörhead song One Track Mind pretty good
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
04.02.2007 - 19:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 03.02.2007 at 20:45

skyclad-come on eileen. apparently it's a song by some obscure 80s band and it was their only hit.

Strange you think that Dexy's Midnight Runners is an obscure 80s band, because they were huge back in the day. And had more hits than Come On Eileen , although that one was their biggest.
More info on Dexy's Midnight Runners can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexys_Midnight_Runners
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2007 - 00:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 05.02.2007 at 00:53

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2007 at 19:48

Written by Valentin B on 03.02.2007 at 20:45

Strange you think that Dexy's Midnight Runners is an obscure 80s band, because they were huge back in the day. And had more hits than Come On Eileen , although that one was their biggest.
More info on Dexy's Midnight Runners can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexys_Midnight_Runners

And they were on the Young Ones

Oh yeah that too, I forgot about that. Thanks to your post I will watch The Young Ones again tonight when I get home from work.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2007 - 13:08
MetalGoddess
Bruce Dickinson - Sin City => AC/DC did it
Doro Pesch - Egypt => DIO did it
Iron Maiden - My Generation => The Who did it
Jag Panzer - Children of The Sea => DIO did it
Metallica - Whiskey in The Jar => Thin Lizzy => Irish Traditional Drinking Song
Metallica - Astronomy => Blue Öyster Cult did it
----
You can't keep this fast car out of the race \m/
06.02.2007 - 04:08
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
I recently they found out alot of covers:
Dying Fetus - Bringing Back The Glory (its written by some punk band i cant remeber)
Rompeprop - Boneyard (Impetigo cover)
Avulsed - Immortal Rites (Morbid Angel)
Vader - Flag Of Hate (Kreator cover)
Lord Gore - Wizards Of Gore (Impetigo cover)
Behemoth - Freezing Moon (Mayhem Cover)
Nokturnal Mortum - My Journey To The Stars (Burzum cover)

I know all these now, but i have listened to all these songs many times loving them, but i never knew they were covers i thought they were written by the band that played them.
06.02.2007 - 10:18
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by MetalGoddess on 05.02.2007 at 13:08

Metallica - Whiskey in The Jar => Thin Lizzy => Irish Traditional Drinking Song
Metallica - Astronomy => Blue Öyster Cult did it

These two are covers by Metallica, and their Unforgiven II is STOLEN from Iron Maiden's 'Children of the damned'. These were among the few Metallica songs I liked, and it wasn't their own. How pathetic of Metallica!
----
that which shines without names and forms...
06.02.2007 - 10:22
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Amon Amarth's 'the eyes of Horror' is Possessed's cover. I didn't know this when I first listened to Amon Amarth version.
----
06.02.2007 - 18:54
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I didn't know till recently that ''Children of The Damned'' by Therion is an Iron Maiden cover. It explains why I never really loved this song
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
07.02.2007 - 17:51
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Torelli on 27.01.2007 at 00:19

Written by Guest on 21.01.2007 at 08:06

'Herr Mannelig' by Haggard. I was very surprised when i knew that it was a traditional song

I was really suprised of this as well, but I was even more suprised when i found out that it actually originated from my country!

That song is from Sweden ?!! I always thought it is a German song
07.02.2007 - 18:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Paganblood on 06.02.2007 at 10:22

Amon Amarth's 'the eyes of Horror' is Possessed's cover. I didn't know this when I first listened to Amon Amarth version.

That I did not know! That explains why it's not as good as most of their other songs.
----
07.02.2007 - 18:36
Torelli
Written by Guest on 21.01.2007 at 08:06

'Herr Mannelig' by Haggard. I was very surprised when i knew that it was a traditional song

Written by Torelli on 27.01.2007 at 00:19

I was really suprised of this as well, but I was even more suprised when i found out that it actually originated from my country!

Written by Guest on 07.02.2007 at 17:51

That song is from Sweden ?!! I always thought it is a German song

Apperntly is an medival ballad. To hear it in the original old swedish, I suggest you listen to In extremo's version of the song. If you want to know more about the song, check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herr_mannelig
08.02.2007 - 14:36
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Warman on 07.02.2007 at 18:00

Written by Paganblood on 06.02.2007 at 10:22

That I did not know! That explains why it's not as good as most of their other songs.

I like this song very much, I like Possessed as well. This song isn't melodic, and it may not be liked by somebody who expects something melodic from Amon Amarth.
----
08.02.2007 - 14:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Paganblood on 08.02.2007 at 14:36

I like this song very much, I like Possessed as well. This song isn't melodic, and it may not be liked by somebody who expects something melodic from Amon Amarth.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I prefer Amon Amarth in their more extreme songs than the melodic ones. I just don't like the quality of that cover, think it's kinda shitty done.
----
08.02.2007 - 14:58
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Warman on 08.02.2007 at 14:39

Written by Paganblood on 08.02.2007 at 14:36

Oh, don't get me wrong. I prefer Amon Amarth in their more extreme songs than the melodic ones. I just don't like the quality of that cover, think it's kinda shitty done.

I like the original one. Amon Amarth's vocals doesn't suit the cover; the original vocals are much better (I don't mean to say I don't like Amon Amarth's vocals though). Oh, I didn't mean to get you wrong!
----
08.02.2007 - 16:59
rebelos
Account deleted
Mr. Crowley - Moonspell

that song actually fits a lot into Moonspells music!
22.02.2007 - 03:39
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
I didn't know that "Over The Hills And Far Away" by Sonata Arctica and also by Nightwish was a Gary Moore cover
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
03.03.2007 - 15:47
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
also, I didn't know that many songs in the metallica album garagae inc were cover songs, and also 'painkiller' by death is orig. by Judas priest. I didn't know this either. I'll conclude now.
----
04.03.2007 - 14:47
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
Written by Guest on 04.03.2007 at 04:37

As far as I know Sonata Arctica has never done a cover of Over The Hills And Far Away...? I have never heard anything about it nor seen anything anywhere either to suggest they have.

Yeah, you're totally right, sorry, in fact I've found out that it's not Sonata Arctica's cover but Thyrfing's -_-U
----
04.03.2007 - 16:56
Graveheart
"Sorgens Kammer" by Dimmu Borgir. Just a few years ago I heard that the same melody first appeared in some video game in the early 90s. And for some reason the booklet doesn't reveal this at all, wonder why...

I always loved the song, so it would be interesting to hear the original version too.
04.03.2007 - 23:10
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Opeth - Circle of Tyrants.
When I've discovered that it was from Celtic Frost I was a bit disapointed.. I still prefer Opeth's version
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
04.03.2007 - 23:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by ilicit on 04.03.2007 at 23:10

When I've discovered that it was from Celtic Frost I was a bit disapointed.. I still prefer Opeth's version

If I knew I could kick your ass, I'd probably do it of anger... how can you say so you brutal savage!!!
----
04.03.2007 - 23:27
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Warman on 04.03.2007 at 23:22

If I knew I could kick your ass, I'd probably do it of anger... how can you say so you brutal savage!!!

I didnt get it. Did you knew it was from Celtic Frost ? Or you are angry cuz I told you it was ?
----
<skoo> /quit
<skoo> owned
04.03.2007 - 23:32
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Aylee_Bodom on 22.02.2007 at 03:39

I didn't know that "Over The Hills And Far Away" by Sonata Arctica and also by Nightwish was a Gary Moore cover

You mean Over the Hills and Far Away - Nightwish covering Gary Moore...
04.03.2007 - 23:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by ilicit on 04.03.2007 at 23:27

I didnt get it. Did you knew it was from Celtic Frost ? Or you are angry cuz I told you it was ?

I love the original version by CF and think it's a lot better than the Opeth one, therefore I'd trie to kick your ass for liking the cover more than the true classic.
----
04.03.2007 - 23:44
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Warman on 04.03.2007 at 23:39

Written by ilicit on 04.03.2007 at 23:27

I love the original version by CF and think it's a lot better than the Opeth one, therefore I'd trie to kick your ass for liking the cover more than the true classic.

Ahh I guess that is what is normal.. the song's owner have the best version, but I dont see it that way.

Anyway it is a great song played by anyone.
Cheers
----
<skoo> /quit
<skoo> owned
04.03.2007 - 23:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, the Opeth cover is awesome though...
Cheers
----
05.03.2007 - 00:08
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
Written by Guest on 04.03.2007 at 23:32

You mean Over the Hills and Far Away - Nightwish covering Gary Moore...

Yes.
----