Metal Storm logo
Technical Death Metal

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 20.05.2006 - 20:08
Well Im building up my Techinical Death Metal collection and im wondering what bands and albums should be needed in this collection, and thought that a thread needs to be made for recommendations on this. Im a fan of Psycroptic, Suffocation, and Cryptopsy.

Any list albums that should be inclued in the collection, bands and/or albums.

EDIT: Now we've got a lot of Tech DM bands added, make sure you go through and check if the band has been added or not, saves a bunch of repeats. Also lets get a little discussion about some of the bands.
18.08.2008 - 22:35
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Guest on 18.08.2008 at 21:05

Malignacy isn't really tech death. It's mostly plain brutal death .

umm, yes it's bdm, but to say they aren't technical is to say that you can see what's in front of you when you're blind. have you listened to Inhuman Grotesqueries ?
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
18.08.2008 - 22:39
MathC
Account deleted
Playing fast does not make a band a technical death metal band. Neither does high pitch notes.
18.08.2008 - 22:55
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
There's more to their music than just playing fast, their stuff is well thought out for the most part. Whatever though, people will always have different opinions on things.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
18.08.2008 - 22:55
MathC
Account deleted
My band is opening for Cryptopsy and Origin. It will be the first time I see Origin live and that will probably be really interesting. I'll just leave when Cryptopsy will sart playing their new songs.
18.08.2008 - 23:00
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Who's your band ?
and you should give Cryptopsy a chance, apparently they still put on a hell of a show even though their new music is funghis.
----
18.08.2008 - 23:05
MathC
Account deleted
My band sounds gay. We only recorded 2 song with a tape in our rehearsal room. If you still want to check it out, you can go to www.myspace.com/severeinfection

It's brutal death with old school influences I guess. Mostly influences from Brodequin, Suffocation and Entombed.

I'll give a chance to Cryptopsy but I doubt that'll do them any good ... :S
18.08.2008 - 23:07
MathC
Account deleted
Actually if you check out my band I'd be glad to have any kind of feedback regarding the guitar tone, the riffs or overall song structure. Be it good or bad.
18.08.2008 - 23:17
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Not bad, i only listened to 'Flesh on my cock' and it was worthwhile.
All you need is better production and a new guitar man, if that's a fender i see on that picture, you'll need something more badass to do the job.
----
18.08.2008 - 23:21
MathC
Account deleted
It's worst than a fender man. I have a 200$ Barracuda sucky guitar ha ha.

I have an Ibanez I paid 600$ which has a pretty good quality but I like to play post-metal or doom stuff on it. The sound on it is too clean for my dm band imo.

Eventually I'll get a better amp too and be able to play with my Ibanez.
18.08.2008 - 23:32
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
i use an ibanez myself, i find they have a great feel to them, might be looking forward to save up for the Xiphos soon.

anyways, the music is quite fine, at least there's no shitty hardcore stuff like all these other underground bands in montreal have been playing. song structure is fine, just keep it brutal and the songwriting along with everything else will just improve over time. of course music theory helps alot.
----
07.09.2008 - 23:41
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Alright, i've come across this godlike band.

Gorod - Neurotripsicks
Gorod - Leading Vision

you want your tech. death fix ? there it is, those albums will make you cream your pants.
----
08.09.2008 - 04:22
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
The monolith deathcult really awesome - their latest album 'Trivmvirate' is a masterpiece IMO... u should def give it a try!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
10.09.2008 - 15:42
MathC
Account deleted
Last Sunday my band openned for Origin and I gotta say those dudes are unreal. I have not seen any other band play their instrument in such an impressive manner. Ever.
10.09.2008 - 15:44
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Visioneerie on 07.09.2008 at 23:41

Gorod - Neurotripsicks
Gorod - Leading Vision

you want your tech. death fix ? there it is, those albums will make you cream your pants.

I second both those albums. Gorod are a fantastic band, been a fan for a good while now. Still waiting for another release. Probably my fave tech-death band.
11.09.2008 - 00:29
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Guest on 10.09.2008 at 15:44

Written by Visioneerie on 07.09.2008 at 23:41

Gorod - Neurotripsicks
Gorod - Leading Vision

I second both those albums. Gorod are a fantastic band, been a fan for a good while now. Still waiting for another release. Probably my fave tech-death band.

Yeah they do come close as one of my favorites also, i was really impressed with their stuff. I'll be waiting to see if they can pull off more insanity than on their first two albums, i have high hopes for Gorod.
----
11.09.2008 - 00:37
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I also suggest to look out for Gnostic. The band has the drummer of Atheist, but their sound is more brutal though in the same vain as them. The vokills are quite something also, their debut should be coming late '08 i think.
----
11.09.2008 - 02:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Visioneerie on 11.09.2008 at 00:37

I also suggest to look out for Gnostic. The band has the drummer of Atheist, but their sound is more brutal though in the same vain as them. The vokills are quite something also, their debut should be coming late '08 i think.

Not only does Gnostic have the original and current Atheist drummer but they also possess the current (and reunion) Atheist guitar tandem Sonny Carson & Chris Baker.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2008 - 04:25
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.09.2008 at 02:54

Written by Visioneerie on 11.09.2008 at 00:37

Not only does Gnostic have the original and current Atheist drummer but they also possess the current (and reunion) Atheist guitar tandem Sonny Carson & Chris Baker.

Shit, obviously they're going to make a big impression. Lots of good dm so far this year. And again look out for Anata's upcoming album, very good tech. death. i'm done with suggestions for now ... Psycroptic - Ob !! that to.
----
16.09.2008 - 23:04
SK921
Account deleted
Gorod is one of the best Technical Death Metal bands I have ever heard.
17.09.2008 - 00:07
Nightmare^
Hell yeah, +1 for Gorod

I also strongly recommend Obscura (yes, they are prog-death too...anyway). After listening to their promo songs, i can't wait for the new album.
----
22.09.2008 - 03:15
manthraxxx
Recommend Arsis
05.02.2009 - 10:33
RockeRoy
My favorit techical death bands are Psycroptic, Necrophagist and the faceless is promising
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
07.02.2009 - 19:25
Guib
Thrash Talker
So far I'd recommend....

Anata
Necrophagist
Quo Vadis
Spawn of Possession
Death
Atheist
Cryptopsy
Arsis
Decapitated

my favorites...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.02.2009 - 19:35
ForeverDarkWoods
Technical death metal is best when it's at it's strangest:

Demilich
Psycroptic
Cosmic Atrophy
Atheist
Gorguts (to an extent)
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
07.02.2009 - 19:49
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 07.02.2009 at 19:35

Demilich
Psycroptic
Cosmic Atrophy
Atheist
Gorguts (to an extent)

If you don't know about Martyr yet, i'd suggest you check them out, preferably their albums Warp Zone or Feeding the Abscess. Still my favorite tech. death band, the songwriting is genius, don't overlook this band.
----
07.02.2009 - 19:51
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Visioneerie on 07.02.2009 at 19:49

Demilich
Psycroptic
Cosmic Atrophy
Atheist
Gorguts (to an extent)

If you don't know about Martyr yet, i'd suggest you check them out, preferably their albums Warp Zone or Feeding the Abscess. Still my favorite tech. death band, the songwriting is genius, don't overlook this band.

Yeah Martyr aren't bad but I wouldn't put them in my top Tech Death though
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.02.2009 - 19:58
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Guib on 07.02.2009 at 19:51

Demilich
Psycroptic
Cosmic Atrophy
Atheist
Gorguts (to an extent)

They're one of the most original and technically proficient tech. death bands so they're better than 'not bad' by all means obviously not everyone will like them as much as me though.

edit - add Sickening Horror to the list, VERY good dm with some industrial touches and an eerie sound on top of that. no one seems to pay attention to them, they only have one album but they're 2nd is supposed to come out soon.
----
07.02.2009 - 21:25
ForeverDarkWoods

Demilich
Psycroptic
Cosmic Atrophy
Atheist
Gorguts (to an extent)

Martyr is a quite nice band. Great call.

Also, if you want more weird death metal with an otherworldly feeling. I'd reccomend you to try and check out Timeghoul from the US (although I wouldn't exactly call them technical).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
10.02.2009 - 00:31
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Visioneerie on 07.02.2009 at 19:58

Written by Guib on 07.02.2009 at 19:51

Demilich
Psycroptic
Cosmic Atrophy
Atheist
Gorguts (to an extent)

They're one of the most original and technically proficient tech. death bands so they're better than 'not bad' by all means obviously not everyone will like them as much as me though.

edit - add Sickening Horror to the list, VERY good dm with some industrial touches and an eerie sound on top of that. no one seems to pay attention to them, they only have one album but they're 2nd is supposed to come out soon.

Oh yes yes I enjoy them aswell don't worry But Yeah they're not my favs thats all
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.12.2010 - 18:49
Guib
Thrash Talker
For some more TDM bands

Visit my Top List (The Complex Road to Technical Death Metal)

I guess you would have enough TDM bands in there to fill your ears for at least few months
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here