Metal Storm logo
Deftones

06.09.2007 - 01:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
As long as I can remember, the Deftones have been one of my favorite bands. Their creative songwriting mixed with Chino's amazing vocals really make them stand out. I own all of their albums, and Around the Fur is my favorite. It is by far their most energetic album (Lotion fucking rocks), and is filled with tons of variation. I actually enjoy all of their albums except the new one, Saturday Night Wrist, and their B-sides and Rarities album, if that one counts. Both releases were huge disappointments to me, especially the b-sides album because it didn't contain any songs they recorded prior to Adrenaline.

Unfortunately, Chino's vocals have gone far downhill, and it really shows on Saturday Night Wrist and their live performances. Now, I haven't seen them live, but I have friends who have seen them years ago and said they put on a great show, but when they saw them this year, they all said they sucked bad.

Someone on another forum said that the fatter Chino gets, the worse the Deftones sound. I find that statement to be completely true lol.
06.09.2007 - 04:36
Winter Death
Account deleted
White Pony is a work of art. There is no two ways around it. It has a good mix of rocking tracks, atmosphere, and top notch writing. Plus the guest appearance by Maynard from Tool on "Passenger" just cements the deal. Great, great record. Adrenaline and Around the Fur were good, but nothing tops White Pony for me.
06.09.2007 - 21:01
Herzebeth

I totally love their work, I didn't quite like that self titled album I enjoyed 10 times more the "Saturday Night Wrist" come back, it's way too experimental in terms of songwriting and those instrumental bits are fucking awesome.

This band (and korn) are both the only Nu bands that I fully enjoy and buy, I own their full discography yes...they're awesome.

bring on the bad words lol
----
08.09.2007 - 11:39
Sunioj

Hehe, no bad words! I think these guys are great, and actually Im like Herz, they are the only numetal band I listen to besides Korn. Around the Fur, white Pony, and Adrenaline are albums that hold in high regard. That reminds to listen to their two most recent albums...
30.12.2010 - 01:37
JD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 06.09.2007 at 01:42

Someone on another forum said that the fatter Chino gets, the worse the Deftones sound. I find that statement to be completely true lol.

I also agree with that, this band is so special for me, when i listin to their songs i feel like am drowning and sappy, i didn't know they have a fourm and a profile on MS!
30.12.2010 - 05:59
whatsacow

I actually liked saturday night wrists much much more than their self titled, which was a piece of horse shit. Sure the vocals weren't terrific, but they're still better than the vast majority of alternate bands out there. But Idk, I'm a massive prog nut, and saturday night wrists is their most progressive. Second fave would be white pony.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
09.01.2011 - 01:59
Axe Argonian

I love the Deftones. They are the most unique and interesting "nu-metal" band in the industry. Unfortunately, they are quite underrated and often overlooked in favor of other bands like Korn and Slipknot.

However, I must admit that I prefer the first half of their discography over the latter half. Adrenaline, Around the Fur, and White Pony are all alternative metal essentials in my eyes. The latter half consisting of Deftones, Saturday Night Wrist, and Diamond Eyes is somewhat weak in my opinion. However, I see Diamond Eyes as a return to form. Although it wasn't essentially creative, it was quite a passionate record, making me hope that with their future work, they creatively reinvent themselves and not fall into a pit of redundancy.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
20.01.2011 - 19:02
MordecaiHexagram

I liked Diamond Eyes. It was definitely a different sound for them with the absence of Chi Cheng but it was an energetic record none the less.

I love Deftones though (as my avatar might suggest). I own all of their albums with the exception of Saturday Night Wrist and I love each album.
07.02.2011 - 00:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Great band! Their new album is amazing...really heavy and consistent...a tad experimental within reason...
07.02.2011 - 11:05
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.02.2011 at 00:47

Great band! Their new album is amazing...really heavy and consistent...a tad experimental within reason...

I will say it's the best alternative album in 2010.
14.04.2013 - 07:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Bad news for Deftones fans.

Earlier this evening, it was revealed that Deftones bassist Chi Cheng passed away. The bassist had been in a semi-conscious state since a serious car accident in 2008, though had been showing signs of improvement over the past year. Cheng was 42 years old.
Oneloveforchi, a website set up by the Cheng family to provide updates on his condition, confirmed the sad news via the following statement:

Quote:
"Our dearest Family,
This is the hardest thing to write to you. Your love and heart and devotion to Chi was unconditional and amazing. I know that you will always remember him as a giant of a man on stage with a heart for every one of you. He was taken to the emegency room and at 3 am today his heart just suddenly stopped. He left this world with me singing songs he liked in his ear.
He fought the good fight.You stood by him sending love daily. He knew that he was very loved and never alone. I will write more later. I will be going through the oneloveforchi and any other information may not be reliable. If you have any stories or messages to share please send them to the onelove site. Please hold Mae and Ming and the siblings and especially Chi's son, Gabriel in your prayers. It is so hard to let go.
With great love and "Much Respect!" Mom J (and Chi)"
14.04.2013 - 15:06
FinnishSammich

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.04.2013 at 07:05

Bad news for Deftones fans.

Earlier this evening, it was revealed that Deftones bassist Chi Cheng passed away. The bassist had been in a semi-conscious state since a serious car accident in 2008, though had been showing signs of improvement over the past year. Cheng was 42 years old.
Oneloveforchi, a website set up by the Cheng family to provide updates on his condition, confirmed the sad news via the following statement:

Quote:
"Our dearest Family,
This is the hardest thing to write to you. Your love and heart and devotion to Chi was unconditional and amazing. I know that you will always remember him as a giant of a man on stage with a heart for every one of you. He was taken to the emegency room and at 3 am today his heart just suddenly stopped. He left this world with me singing songs he liked in his ear.
He fought the good fight.You stood by him sending love daily. He knew that he was very loved and never alone. I will write more later. I will be going through the oneloveforchi and any other information may not be reliable. If you have any stories or messages to share please send them to the onelove site. Please hold Mae and Ming and the siblings and especially Chi's son, Gabriel in your prayers. It is so hard to let go.
With great love and "Much Respect!" Mom J (and Chi)"

R.I.P Chi Cheng
28.07.2013 - 01:51
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Around The Fur & White Pony are amazing.
24.08.2013 - 14:56
schlakt

Great band! absolutley one of my favourites! best albums i must say is, around the fur and white pony! the new one "koi no yokan" didn't dissappont either.
01.03.2014 - 13:57
Aristarchos

Don't like their early albums. But on White Pony they became brilliant.
26.05.2014 - 22:43
Dr.Overkill26

Ok Guys yes White Pony is good... There Are other Valid Deftones albums. No love here for the Self-Titled, from what I've heard of and about it (More abrasive, More attacking and direct) I think that I will Love it. I own Around the Fur, It's great especially Headup With max Cavalera on vocals. I also own White pony but my Ipod broke like right after I bought it.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
10.06.2014 - 02:00
JayMo4

I actually think the self-titled is the best album from among the first four. They had just done White Pony and the critics were loving them, and they responded by uglying things up a little bit. That said - and I'm probably in the minority - but I think they've improved more or less with each album. SNW was better than anything previous, even with all the internal turmoil. Diamond Eyes was even better, and KNY is at least as good as DE - I may need another listen or two to decide which I prefer. But those two are the best they've done, IMO.

They're catchy, and that's taboo in some metal circles. They'll surely never shed that "nu-metal" label, either - I guess that's their fault for touring with crap bands like Korn and Godsmack in the past. But I've always loved the evocative contrast of heavy riffs with mellow vocals.
20.06.2014 - 16:22
Ganondox

I freaking love Defttones, not only do I generally love blending metal with shoegaze, but they are a very diverse band as well, they can be heavy or soft and be beautiful either way. I haven't listened to any of their albums in full as I haven't bought of them yet, but I think my favorite two are White Pony and Diamond Eyes, not sure which one I prefer, and then probably Saturday Night Wrist. Of their new stuff, the self-titled album is probably my least favorite, but I love how raw Hexagram is. I don't like their nu metal stuff as much, though it's some of the best nu metal around, and there are some great songs from those two albums, like "Bored" and "Be Quiet and Drive Far Away".
18.11.2014 - 09:16
lepord155

"To put it shortly it's pretty much a theme album; inspecting life and death, greater essence of being, and ones individual experiences amongst those topics. Some interesting stuff there IMHO, still keeping in mind it's metal music, not Shakespeare." - Jimmy Grey

24.04.2015 - 22:52
Filthgrinder

They're a great band, and I enjoy Feiticeira a lot out of all of their songs.
----
05.06.2016 - 23:05
WayTooManyCDs

Around The Fur, White Pony, Diamond Eyes, and Koi No Yokan are all excellent from beginning to end, the rest have their good moments but I rarely listen to them from beginning to end. The new Gore album seems to be going in the later category so far, not a bad album, but one where I'll likely pick out a few of the better tracks and ignore the rest.
06.06.2016 - 11:47
Ganondox

I really enjoyed Phantom Bride from the new album, and Jerry Cantrell's solo just makes it even better.
09.07.2022 - 19:28
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
A band I've been familiar with since the early 2000s, but only ever heard a few songs by them, so I never really gave them a proper chance, that is until recently when I decided to discover their discography from beginning to now, and despite alternative metal not really being my thing, I have to say this band has impressed me, they are very unique in their style and sound, thanks to the recommendation from JohnDoe of course

This is how I would personally rank their albums:

1. White Pony - 2000
2. Koi No Yokan - 2012
3. Adrenaline - 1995
4. Around The Fur - 1997
5. Saturday Night Wrist - 2006
6. Ohms - 2020
7. Diamond Eyes - 2010
8. Deftones - 2003
9. Gore - 2016
15.07.2022 - 12:58
heavyriffs