5 - Spirit On The Wind
    6 - Complete The Circle

Disc III [Special & Deluxe Limited edition][DVD]
01. Behind The Scenes: Making of 01011001
02. Beneath The Waves [CGI Movie (5.1/2.0)]
03. Guide Demos [feat. Arjen on vocals][audio]
04. Ed Warby's Session: Recording drums
05. Bloopers [audio]

How can I start this review? How many words will I have to use to talk about the new Ayreon? There are definitely too many things to say about "01011001", the new baby of Arjen Lucassen? I should maybe try to write a book about this album and the whole Ayreon story but well, I will just write a review and I promise I will do my best to explain what "01011001" is, and sorry if I'm a bit long this time round?

I don't really like to talk about the story behind a concept album; after all it's better to discover it when you listen to the album. I will just say a few words about "01011001" then? If you wonder why Arjen Lucassen has chosen the number "01011001" as the name of his new release, you must know that this is the binary form of the number "89" which is the ASCII code for the letter Y. The fans of the Ayreon project will probably remember the stories behind "Into the Electric Castle", "Universal Migrator" and "The Human Equation" and remember that the story of these concept albums is about humans (yes, us!) and the "Forever" people who live on the planet Y. A long time ago, those people forgot all their emotions and sent a comet on Earth with their DNA on it (of course it's pure science-fiction?) to re-create their race, pure and innocent. As you all know, the reality will be different for humanity, and "01011001", of course, deals with this "problem". "01011001" is full of metaphors and questions about human being conditions and ecology. Through a really good science fiction story, Arjen Lucassen asks a lot of questions about our world, that's what I call great lyrics.

The music of "01011001" is back to the futuristic mode. Sure, you'll always find some good Heavy Metal riffs with Folk elements but the "spatial" sounds are back and the keyboards and electronic sounds are really present on this release. All the songs (except maybe "Web Of Lies" which is cute but a bit boring) are catchy with great melodies, and I like that I hear a lot of different influences on them. As an example, the songs on which Jonas Renske sings are clearly influenced by the Katatonia spirit (if you like the new Katatonia, then you must like these songs!) and this is the same with the other artists. All in all, the music of this new Ayreon is not that fast (except with "Ride The Comet"), this is pure deep atmospheric Progressive Rock/Metal. The melodies are touching, the choruses are catchy, you just have here everything you need to enjoy a good moment, but of course you must love Progressive stuff to enter the music of this new Ayreon. "01011001" is not an easy album and is all but commercial, it is dark and sometimes even sad. The music on this release is beautiful and totally unconventional (I really have the feeling that I'm traveling through space when I listen to this album?).

The Ayreon project has always required a lot of guest singers but even if "Into The Electric Castle" (1998) was an amazing release, only "The Human Equation" started to amaze the world of Metal with such an incredible line-up. It was like impossible to hire better artists but I've known for long (I will keep for me the name of my secret informer hehe) the names of the singers and I can tell you that I was really looking forward to this album since that day? Just have a look at the line up of "01011001" and you'll see that this is probably the best one ever used for a Metal album. All the artists, singers as well as guest musicians, are leaders and monsters of the Metal scene and it was just impossible to be disappointed. Honestly there is nothing to say here, all the performances of the protagonists of this new Ayreon story are amazing, and I will especially talk about Jørn Lande and Daniel Gildenlöw who are for me two of the best singers of the whole Metal community and have just added all their class to the music of Lucassen. Also, don't worry I will not forget some people like Anneke van Giersbergen, Tom S. Englund or Jonas Renske, the former adding a really dark, Katatonia-like atmosphere to the music. All the singers are good, even Wudstik who apparently comes from the Dutch Hip-Hop scene and eventually proves to be an amazing Prog-Rock singer. If the singers are all good, the guest musicians are excellent too. I will always remember the memorable keyboard solo of Derek Sherinian on "The Fifth Extinction" and the guitar solo of Michael Romeo on "E=MC2". That's all good anyway and since Arjen Lucassen, as always, produced this released with the best means of production, it's hard to find bad points on this release. Even the artwork describes perfectly the spatial world of Ayreon? This is just top of the class, the "crème de la crème"?

"01011001" is an amazing album. Poetic, tender with everything we need when we like listening to Rock and Progressive music. I can understand that some people dislike Arjen Lucassen's works but they just have to remember that it's a just a matter of taste and there is no reason to be jealous of the success of Ayreon since all these releases aren't similar to (and can compete with) anything else. Ayreon is unique, indeed it is hard to enter that kind of music, so if you can't do that just live with it, after all Ayreon music will never hurt you, right? With "01011001" Arjen Lucassen is back in the cosmos and that's great to follow this space and life odyssey one more time. "01011001" will undoubtedly be one of the best albums of 2008, one more time it's just good to listen to this music. "01011001" is a masterpiece and I hope that people will remember all these songs for the centuries to come? The lyrics of "The Fifth Extinction" end with the words "We're alive"? That's right Ayreon is alive and more than ever?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Jeff | 05.02.2008

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
The more Ayreon albums get released and the more spectacular the line up becomes – the more known Ayreon becomes and the more awaited the new album is. That is nothing bad by itself but it does hit a ceiling eventually. There are basically two statements I want to get across about this album. First, it's perfect. Second, it's not.

Read more ››
published 22.02.2008 | Comments (32)

Comments

Comments: 69   Visited by: 621 users
05.02.2008 - 20:36
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Jeff, i've waited for this review since i saw it in the queue, and finally it's here. Really good review

And what more can i say about this new Ayreon album? well if any of you hasn't had this, go find it right now!!
05.02.2008 - 21:26
Rating: 10
HPereira
Great album and really good review.

Cheers and keep up the good work
05.02.2008 - 21:40
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Jeff, there is one big point in which i disagree with you... there are no less good songs at all, Web Of Lies is awesome too!!

The Human Equation is not my favourite album anymore...
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
05.02.2008 - 21:51
Nacur
"The Human Equation is not my favoorite album anymore" [2]

Jeff, congratulations for the awesome review, it is true, this will be one of the best albums of this decade (O.O)....for sure!
05.02.2008 - 22:10
Rating: 9
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
I Have to agree with the review as well (then again, who could right a bad review on this album).
I'll admit I'm not a fan of there older stuff. but this album...well, wow. Definetly required listening for anyone into music.
05.02.2008 - 22:26
Nacur
Written by Paradox0 on 05.02.2008 at 22:10

I Have to agree with the review as well (then again, who could right a bad review on this album).
I'll admit I'm not a fan of there older stuff. but this album...well, wow. Definetly required listening for anyone into music.

Yeah, it is right, everyone should listen to it, not just the ones into prog-metalrock...because this album has something that is quite rare nowadays...it has really good lyrics and really good music! I read a review, I think it was on prog-archives, that the guy would give 4/5 to the music and 4/5 to the lyrics, but having them both on the same album....he had to give 5/5.
05.02.2008 - 22:36
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
My favorite moment of this album is the keyboard solo of "Waking Dreams." Very dark, but sensual, and harks back to the ominous sense of confinement I associate with the overall atmosphere of the Universal Migrator Pt. I. Just received my package from the Netherlands today: The Special Edition DVD with a little hand-signed note from Arjen (Carpe Diem!) It seems so unbelievable that this album exists, here in my hand and hear in my ears. I have never been happier...
05.02.2008 - 22:58
Reizenstein
I agree with most of this review, but I don't think all the singers are amazing.
The vocals of Hansi Kürsch are, in my opinion, really bad. They're just very annoying, and contrasts to the very ethereal singing of the rest of the album.
Also, Floor Jansen does some "opera" parts that irritates me, especially in "Ride the Comet," although all that's just my humble opinion. Otherwise, great album, great review.
----
Growl
05.02.2008 - 23:32
annodomini
It is really good album, but i still prefare Human Equation
----
the riddle wants to be...
05.02.2008 - 23:33
.mrt
Love the album, of course. But I must criticize Arjen for two songs: "connect the dots" and "web of lies". What the hell?!
The songs have nothing to do with the powerful dark feeling of the album and the story doesnt connect at all. The songs would have been fine as some "bonuses" on some singles, but come on! It's like I need to republish the album without those songs to enjoy it fully.
But altogether singers are awesome and there are so many great songs that Im overwhelmed. I started to write out by favourite tracks, but when I reached to the Unnatural Selection, I understood that it would mean practically most of the album.

Mr. L, have you taken your meds?
05.02.2008 - 23:39
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Reizenstein on 05.02.2008 at 22:58

I agree with most of this review, but I don't think all the singers are amazing.
The vocals of Hansi Kürsch are, in my opinion, really bad. They're just very annoying, and contrasts to the very ethereal singing of the rest of the album.

I think it is just a matter of taste. A lot of people were really excited about this album because they listened to Blind Guardian, Evergrey, Katatonia, Pain Of Salvation, The Gathering, After Forever, etc. and enjoyed the singers' voices already (as in my case).

"River Of Time" for me was one of the strongest tracks on the album. But this may be because it reminds me of previous Ayreon folk efforts mixed with Blind Guardian.
05.02.2008 - 23:43
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I just thought the last part was unnecessary - how could anybody possibly NOT like Ayreon?
Good review, just a bit "humongous" but I agree! It doesn't reach THE which is my favourite album of all times but it's close.

A Masterpiece.

(Tomas Bodin aaaargh!!!
06.02.2008 - 00:02
ylside
Staff
8/10. A very good album! Actually it was exactly what I wanted to hear. It's nice...that feeling when things turn out exactly as expected =)
06.02.2008 - 00:23
VPeter
since I heard a lot of good things about Ayreon I decided to check this out.
and it suffers from the same thing like many prog metal bands have, extremly boring music without any emotion.
06.02.2008 - 00:37
Baz Anderson
Staff
if any album deserves to be hailed a masterpiece this year, I think this will be the one
this would be one of the very very few albums I may have been persuaded to get right up to the heels of that 10/10 if I were reviewing myself

as far as progressive rock/metal goes, this is probably about as good as you can possibly get!
06.02.2008 - 01:04
Reizenstein
Written by Introspekrieg on 05.02.2008 at 23:39

Written by Reizenstein on 05.02.2008 at 22:58

I think it is just a matter of taste. A lot of people were really excited about this album because they listened to Blind Guardian, Evergrey, Katatonia, Pain Of Salvation, The Gathering, After Forever, etc. and enjoyed the singers' voices already (as in my case).

"River Of Time" for me was one of the strongest tracks on the album. But this may be because it reminds me of previous Ayreon folk efforts mixed with Blind Guardian.

You speak very true there, and since the only singers I was interested in from the start was Gildenlöw (POS) and Englund (Evergrey) that might explain my reaction.
----
Growl
06.02.2008 - 01:12
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I think you could give this one 10/10 and would make a mistake, one of the albums that really really dseserve 10 out of 10. Perfect, just perfect album.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
06.02.2008 - 03:28
fox-03
Agreed, it's a masterpiece that deserves 10/10 (even with some weaker tracks... common, it's simply impossible to make everyone happy with everything ). I'd just counter any complaints about Hansi and Floor, I prolly loved their appearances most (of course because they are both of my most beloved singers), but I can't say I didn't like a simple voice in the list. Best songs for me are Liquid Eternity, Beneath The Waves, Ride The Comet, Unnatural Selection and E=mc^2 (Liquid Eternity being the best of the best).
06.02.2008 - 12:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 06.02.2008 at 00:23

and it suffers from the same thing like many prog metal bands have, extremly boring music without any emotion.

Totally agree with you.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2008 - 14:42
Raziel X
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2008 at 12:33

Totally agree with you.

I totally disagree with you two. That you cant access and get into the music, that doesnt necessarily mean it is bad! If you put it away after few listens, it is only understandable that you dont like it... Prog metal isnt a genre that you can get into in a weekend...

IMO a great album, although my fav is still THE. But I like this album
06.02.2008 - 14:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Raziel X on 06.02.2008 at 14:42

Totally agree with you.

I totally disagree with you two. That you cant access and get into the music, that doesnt necessarily mean it is bad! If you put it away after few listens, it is only understandable that you dont like it... Prog metal isnt a genre that you can get into in a weekend...

the music is easilly accessible for me, that is not the problem,. It is just that I find it utterly and mindnumbingly boring (and that coming from someone who loves extreme doom and some drone)
I have never had problems with getting into prog metal at all, I loved Dream Theater at first listen banck wehn When Day And Dream Unite was released. SO that is not the problem. But I find all of the Ayreon albums boring.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2008 - 16:29
Rating: 5
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Extremely boring and uninventive, and I was a huge fan of The Human Equation, and can appreciate a good Prog album, something this is not. Age Of Shadows is good, and then the album starts going downhill, until it arrives the center of the earth by the time the last song ends.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
06.02.2008 - 17:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2008 at 14:51

Totally agree with you.

the music is easilly accessible for me, that is not the problem,. It is just that I find it utterly and mindnumbingly boring (and that coming from someone who loves extreme doom and some drone)
I have never had problems with getting into prog metal at all, I loved Dream Theater at first listen banck wehn When Day And Dream Unite was released. SO that is not the problem. But I find all of the Ayreon albums boring.

Phew! Good to see I'm not alone. A friend of mine sent me a few songs off the album, same old "watching paint dry" Ayreon I know, this album hasn't changed my opinion on the...band? at all.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.02.2008 - 17:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 06.02.2008 at 17:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2008 at 14:51

Totally agree with you.

Phew! Good to see I'm not alone. A friend of mine sent me a few songs off the album, same old "watching paint dry" Ayreon I know, this album hasn't changed my opinion on the...band? at all.

Wow, so that makes three of us on MS at least who think (and KNOW) Ayreon is boring
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2008 - 19:02
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Marcel, you can count me in for this album. I have listened to it a bunch of times, and it does nothing for me. Now, I love the Human Equation (ranked #3 on my all time favorite album list), but most Ayreon I find too scattered. I was expecting to be blown away with this album when I first herd it...well when it was done I went and listened to The End of Heartache to make myself feel better.
----
(space for rent)
06.02.2008 - 19:03
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Pretty cool album. I agree with Ylside - 8/10.

I pity the people who think that Ayreon are boring though :| Pretentious - a tad. But boring - not.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
06.02.2008 - 19:42
Deadsoulman
Elite
Well, let me be another person who doesn't see all the greatness everyone seems to find in Ayreon. I quite liked The Human Equation because it had a couple of good songs, something this one does not have.

The execution is flawless - I'll grant you that. But given the line up you couldn't really expect anything else. So yeah, the musicianship and the vocals are absolutely brilliant. My problem is that the songwriting is not that great to begin with, most songs plod along with nothing really distinctive, nothing that makes you say "wow, what was that?". As some people already said, it lacks emotion. It lacks life. Altogether, and still in my opinion, this is decent, nothing more, nothing less.
06.02.2008 - 20:13
Silhouette
Great review, Jeff, I totally agree!

I don't really understand what lacks emotion and life in this album,
I find it truly amazing in every possible way, and I've listened to it
more than 30 times in one week, without getting bored.
It is, of course, a matter of taste, and I get it if You don't like it,
but lacking emotion? oO

Here's my review of the album:
http://www.last.fm/user/Zammiz/journal/2008/02/4/639648/

Silhouette
06.02.2008 - 20:45
marillionfan
Account deleted
I listened to the album only once but i surely enjoyed what i heard, A really good album.
06.02.2008 - 21:58
VPeter

Totally agree with you.

I tried it enough times and it still is bad, even tough I love atmospheric and hard to get in music over caveman Death metal/Black metal/Thrash metal
any day but this is just boring souless stuff, prog metal doesn't have to be that way - Devin townsend already prooved it.

Hits total: 24760 | This month: 67