Metal Storm logo
Why Do You Play Music?

28.09.2008 - 11:44
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
simple question, what compels you to play music? for me, i love playing my favorite band's songs and since i'm an egomaniac, i like to show off too. and playing music is the one thing that can always be improved upon.

i leave the rest to ya'll...
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.09.2008 - 12:07
Sunioj
1. To amuse myself.

I like seeing how far I can in regards to technique and speed. Also, seeing how songs turn after writing them, I find it rather interesting.

2. To stand out.

There not that much bassplayers around here, and most of them aren't interesting imo. So, I guess I also play to kind of compete or show off too.

3. Because I like it.

I am able to express myself, and I just like playing music, it's a good release.
28.09.2008 - 20:09
Sick Girl
I can't really explain why...It may sound cheesy, but I felt like it's always been in me, like in my blood or something. I grew up around it, I am still around it. My father was in a death metal band. My mother was a vocalist. I myself am a vocalist. It's just like an escape, the easiest way for me to express something. I guess. I don't know.
29.09.2008 - 00:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well, for myself, i play stuff simply because it's good fun, like when i play stuff like The Green Manalishi by Priest or Blood Of My Enemies by Manowar and start singing along with my horrid voice and start cheering myself up.

on stage, i would play simply to entertain the crowds, and of course, like all of you out there who don't really have a job outside making music, to earn an honest buck.
29.09.2008 - 10:27
NECURATU
I play music so I can increase my chances of getting laid .
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
29.09.2008 - 22:26
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by NECURATU on 29.09.2008 at 10:27

hahahha WORD. what instrument do you play, your info doesnt indicate. if you play guitar, learn some eric clapton, namely "tear drops in heaven" or "layla" or if you REALLY wanna be a suave jackass, "wonderful tonight".
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.09.2008 - 22:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by LeChron James on 29.09.2008 at 22:26

hahahha WORD. what instrument do you play, your info doesnt indicate. if you play guitar, learn some eric clapton, namely "tear drops in heaven" or "layla" or if you REALLY wanna be a suave jackass, "wonderful tonight".

nah, he plays bass. guess it kinda kills his chances of getting laid LMAO
29.09.2008 - 23:01
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Valentin B on 29.09.2008 at 22:54

Written by LeChron James on 29.09.2008 at 22:26

nah, he plays bass. guess it kinda kills his chances of getting laid LMAO

oh come on, i play bass too and i've played that fact to my advantage before, but yeah it is more difficult to get laid when plunking on a bass i will admit hahahaha
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

30.09.2008 - 01:53
Sick Girl

You're my hero now.
30.09.2008 - 16:16
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'm currently playing music so that I can make money because the band that I'm now in wants to play rock that is marketable to just about everyone...I'm still going to try and form another metal band, but I figured that I'd see where this takes me...
30.09.2008 - 17:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Sick Girl on 30.09.2008 at 01:53

You're my hero now.

Damn, it's working! I gotta get back to practicing on my guitar.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.09.2008 - 17:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I make music because sometimes it just feels good to create something: whether it is a painting, a story, a film, or a song, it's nice to release all that shit that builds up inside of you into something focused. Most of the time it is only for my personal relief and I find it amusing to listen to all the sloppy demos of songs I have saved on my PC.
01.10.2008 - 02:10
Sick Girl
Written by Lucas on 30.09.2008 at 17:11

Written by Sick Girl on 30.09.2008 at 01:53

You're my hero now.

Damn, it's working! I gotta get back to practicing on my guitar.

Get to it!!
02.10.2008 - 10:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by [user id=2084] on 30.09.2008 at 16:16

I'm currently playing music so that I can make money because the band that I'm now in wants to play rock that is marketable to just about everyone..

i totally agree and support that. it might not be very 'metal' but in the end being 'metal' won't pay the bills and buy you food unless of course you're manowar, but there's only room for one manowar in this world lmao

a guy's gotta make a living right? also if you get moderately famous with this rock project then you'll probably get more exposure with your metal band.
02.10.2008 - 15:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 02.10.2008 at 10:02

but there's only room for one manowar in this world lmao

uhh no, there is no room at all for Manowar in this world.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.10.2008 - 17:52
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite

I'm currently playing music so that I can make money because the band that I'm now in wants to play rock that is marketable to just about everyone..

i totally agree and support that. it might not be very 'metal' but in the end being 'metal' won't pay the bills and buy you food unless of course you're manowar, but there's only room for one manowar in this world lmao

a guy's gotta make a living right? also if you get moderately famous with this rock project then you'll probably get more exposure with your metal band.

Or you could release two albums kind of together, one to appeal to a wider audience and one to stay "true". Look at what Opeth did with Damnation... all the emo kids were like "Aw... metalheads get sad too... here's my $$$" Didn't work out so well for Borknagar, because they didn't also release the TRUE album!
02.10.2008 - 19:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Introspekrieg on 02.10.2008 at 17:52

Or you could release two albums kind of together, one to appeal to a wider audience and one to stay "true". Look at what Opeth did with Damnation... all the emo kids were like "Aw... metalheads get sad too... here's my $$$" Didn't work out so well for Borknagar, because they didn't also release the TRUE album!

nor did metallica!
06.11.2008 - 23:29
HELL-ME
Account deleted
Nor did InFlames !
13.11.2008 - 12:10
I play music because I love it. Also, chicks dig it
----
oderint dum metuant
16.11.2008 - 01:00
selken
Irreligious
Because I like it, and want to explore further experiences.
----
02.02.2009 - 01:25
WagonOfFilth
Music is my life.
----
Your trust is in Whiskey, and Weed, and Slayer. It's goddamn electric!
06.02.2009 - 21:07
DarkPsy
It makes me soo intense....i feel it helps u appreciate music a lot more then one usually would...
06.02.2009 - 23:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
If composing and singing counts too (otherwise i cant really play a single one instrument good enough), i do it to "dont be vain in the world"...i believe that the meaning of life is to left something behind you...and so why not musical work, when i think and believe i am good in it?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.02.2009 - 09:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by LeChron James on 29.09.2008 at 23:01

oh come on, i play bass too and i've played that fact to my advantage before, but yeah it is more difficult to get laid when plunking on a bass i will admit hahahaha

Oh come on, bassists are the quiet sensitive ones, some chicks dig that. Beats being a drummer, all the chicks assume you're the dumb one because all you do is hit shit with other shit.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.02.2009 - 13:31
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Doc G. on 08.02.2009 at 09:12

Oh come on, bassists are the quiet sensitive ones, some chicks dig that. Beats being a drummer, all the chicks assume you're the dumb one because all you do is hit shit with other shit.

hahaha then i guess the bitches you socialize with are HELLA more cynical than the ones i have to deal with. all the women here in california are retarded in some way or another. its just a matter of an the extent and the category of disorder. if i played drums and were good, people would be wowed because the typical male spends most time either drinking or playing video games, so i suppose a change in talent is refreshing LOL.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

08.02.2009 - 13:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 08.02.2009 at 09:12

Written by LeChron James on 29.09.2008 at 23:01

hahah, quiet sensitive bassist, sounds like the guy from Dethklok to me and to continue in the same manner, the drummer is dumb, the guitarists are intellectual artist types(lead guitarist) or beer-loving party maniacs(rhythm guitarist) and the singer is the cool charming egomaniac who gets all the chicks lol
10.02.2009 - 02:07
ASiema113
To Keep Sane...
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.

10.02.2009 - 06:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 08.02.2009 at 13:56

hahah, quiet sensitive bassist, sounds like the guy from Dethklok to me and to continue in the same manner, the drummer is dumb, the guitarists are intellectual artist types(lead guitarist) or beer-loving party maniacs(rhythm guitarist) and the singer is the cool charming egomaniac who gets all the chicks lol

I always thought of the lead guitarists as the egocentric assholes who lacked the looks or the voice to be a lead singer, the rhythm guitarist being a slightly dumber, less skilled version of that. Though its always easiest to pick up chicks as a guitarist, you sit next to them, whip out your accoustic and say "you inspired me to write this song" play the easiest John Mayer riff you know, and pray they don't catch on.

Do you know how hard that shit is being a drummer? First I need to actually lure said prey into my basement to see my drumkit, and from there...well lets just say women generally aren't turned on by blastbeats.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.02.2009 - 10:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 10.02.2009 at 06:18

Written by Valentin B on 08.02.2009 at 13:56

I always thought of the lead guitarists as the egocentric assholes who lacked the looks or the voice to be a lead singer, the rhythm guitarist being a slightly dumber, less skilled version of that. Though its always easiest to pick up chicks as a guitarist, you sit next to them, whip out your accoustic and say "you inspired me to write this song" play the easiest John Mayer riff you know, and pray they don't catch on.

Do you know how hard that shit is being a drummer? First I need to actually lure said prey into my basement to see my drumkit, and from there...well lets just say women generally aren't turned on by blastbeats.

hahahhah, "you inspired me to write this song" that's pure gold lmao, though if we're not talking about metal-groupies, playing a sappy love song like "Nothing Else Matters"(works EVERY TIME) or "Don't Cry"(this one is just a backup if you don't know the first one) works too.

also, this one ABSOLUTELY KILLS, i mean i almost turned someone gay with this though i can't really play it(i'm not good with finger picking) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbhE8rHRvUw&feature=related

edit DAMN i seriously want to fuck that chick!!!
10.02.2009 - 23:41
ForeverDarkWoods
I love music. It really is as simple as that. Music is pretty much the only thing in the world that I can really say that I do love. Therefore, music, and more specifically metal, is the one thing that I'd dedicate my life to in an instant. That's what motivates me to play music. It runs through my veins. I believe the members of Arghoslent said something that describes how I feel about playing metal, tsomething like that they probably couldn't stop playing even if they wanted too, because the riffs pretty much possessed them. It's an extraordinary feeling.

I also like Rudra's description of playing metal:
"Some call our music blasphemy, I call it devotion."
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America