Style: Doom metal
Release date: June 2009

01. Dust (The Circle Part I)
02. Waves (The Circle Part II)
03. Corrosion (The Circle Part III)
04. Lava (The Circle Part IV)
05. Abandon (The Circle Part V)
06. The Circle (Erosion Part I)

Like I mentioned in my Mourning Lenore review a couple of months ago Portugal isn't too well-known for its metal scene. But it certainly seems that especially the Portuguese doom scene is starting to come of age and besides Insaniae the aforementioned Mourning Lenore this year also sees Process Of Guilt making some "Waves".

Apparently I was told about this band a couple of years ago by Ivor but somehow I had never followed up on them until they were mentioned again last year September when Lucas and I were interviewing Felix and Pim (Officium Triste) about Dutch Doom Days. At last year's Dutch Doom Days I came across Process Of Guilt's full-length debut Renounce thanks to Collin and immediately fell in love with their death/doom sound which also held some slight blackish influences.

So how does the, always so important, sophomore album hold up compared to the debut? First thing that is noticeable is that the black influences have almost disappeared completely and the band have now moved on towards to a more, what some would probably call, post-doom sound. Still death/doom to the bone but with soundscapish undertones of bands such as Isis, Mono, Pelican, Cult Of Luna and some almost Neurosis-like tribal sort of drumming at times and Draconian Times-era Paradise Lost riffing and guitar tone. Hopefully all this makes sense to you all, for I sure as hell don't know how else to describe their quite unique sound.

The first five songs form an integral part and flow neatly into each other creating the illusion of a single song. Shortest song of the album "The Circle (Erosion Part I)" closes proceedings after a couple of seconds of silence thus being a clear epilogue to this album.
So, this is clearly an album that should not be shuffled. Anyone who even thinks of playing Erosion on shuffle certainly isn't worth such great music gracing their ears.

This is an album best experienced at night with the lights out. Let the music envelop you and erode you like subsequent waves of lava corroding you to the bare essence of your soul and turning you into dust and then slowly abandoning you thus making the circle of life complete.

So, after having come to my senses again I can safely say this is one of the single best, if not best, death/doom releases of the year. I cannot see any other band, well-known or underground, even come close this year (and maybe I am being over-confident here) or even in the next couple of years, unless Process Of Guilt are about to outdo themselves. It has been quite a long long time ago that an album has had this effect on me and moved me this much.

And now it's only a matter of time before I see this band on stage and hopefully perform the entire Erosion album live. Only twelve more days before they play at Madrid Is The Dark Fest on September 12.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse | 31.08.2009

Comments

Comments: 56   Visited by: 345 users
31.08.2009 - 18:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
A truly magnificent and brilliant album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2009 - 19:16
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2009 at 18:46

Fully agreed.

One of the top albums of the year for me.

PS: "Only twelve more days before they play at Madrid Is The Dark Fest on October 12." The ninth month of the year is called September, not October, you time travelling goofball
----
Your favorite band sucks.
31.08.2009 - 19:16
Stuart
MiseryKing
Well you've sold it to me. I will check this out.
31.08.2009 - 19:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Thryce on 31.08.2009 at 19:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2009 at 18:46

Fully agreed.

One of the top albums of the year for me.

PS: "Only twelve more days before they play at Madrid Is The Dark Fest on October 12." The ninth month of the year is called September, not October, you time travelling goofball

Aaarrrgggghhh, what was I thinking hahahaha it wouldn't surprise me if October 12 is BredaDOOM with Ahab
So fixed it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2009 - 20:55
Rating: 9
Thanntos
Got this last month still haven't listened to it. Lots of others I still need to listen to as well

Quote:
I cannot see any other band, well-known or underground, even come close this year (and maybe I am being over-confident here) or even in the next couple of years, unless Process Of Guilt are about to outdo themselves.

psst, Arcana Coelestia!
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
31.08.2009 - 21:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Thanntos on 31.08.2009 at 20:55

Got this last month still haven't listened to it. Lots of others I still need to listen to as well

Quote:
I cannot see any other band, well-known or underground, even come close this year (and maybe I am being over-confident here) or even in the next couple of years, unless Process Of Guilt are about to outdo themselves.

psst, Arcana Coelestia!

Crap, I knew I forgot to order something last time around at the distro I get most of my doom from. I just couldn't figure out what band it was
I still haven't checked them out but I doubt they will surpass Process Of Guilt. Looking at where they're from I am afraid they will have that usual cheesy Italian thing to their musc (which also lessens the appeal of Forgotten Tomb, Void Of Silence, Beatrik, Doomraiser etc. for me) Somehow Italians and making metal is not a great combination for me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2009 - 21:57
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2009 at 21:09

Somehow Italians and making metal is not a great combination for me.

haha, agreed.
01.09.2009 - 00:16
Devilspeed
Good review, Marcel. You are the reason I love doom metal so much so obviously I'm going to have to check this out.
01.09.2009 - 01:34
Thanntos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2009 at 21:09

Written by Thanntos on 31.08.2009 at 20:55

Quote:

psst, Arcana Coelestia!

Crap, I knew I forgot to order something last time around at the distro I get most of my doom from. I just couldn't figure out what band it was
I still haven't checked them out but I doubt they will surpass Process Of Guilt. Looking at where they're from I am afraid they will have that usual cheesy Italian thing to their musc (which also lessens the appeal of Forgotten Tomb, Void Of Silence, Beatrik, Doomraiser etc. for me) Somehow Italians and making metal is not a great combination for me.

Well, I am pretty sure we do have vastly differentiating musical tastes at times, so you may have a listen to Arcana Coelestia's latest album and hate it with a passion, or you could be pleasantly surprised. It's always a toss up with you

Either way though, I really do think it is worth a listen by any doom fan. Only thing holding me back from saying it's my favorite of the year is it's not so great production quality. The music however, is hugely emotional and creates an incredible atmosphere.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
01.09.2009 - 01:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Thanntos on 01.09.2009 at 01:34

Well, I am pretty sure we do have vastly differentiating musical tastes at times, so you may have a listen to Arcana Coelestia's latest album and hate it with a passion, or you could be pleasantly surprised. It's always a toss up with you

Either way though, I really do think it is worth a listen by any doom fan. Only thing holding me back from saying it's my favorite of the year is it's not so great production quality. The music however, is hugely emotional and creates an incredible atmosphere.

Oh I will be sure to buy it. I like to take chances with bands I have never even heard. And like you said I could be pleasantly surprised and I heard a lot of good things about everywhere (not a single bad thing yet) As for not so great productions, I don't mind that that much as long as the music is great.
One thing gotta agree about Process Of Guilt - Erosion is that the production is absolutely top-notch as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2009 - 07:21
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Whoa, this is a must-check-out for me. it's turning out to be one epic year for doom.
01.09.2009 - 08:36
Rating: 10
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
A killer album for me too, I just cannot get enough of the combination of "Corrosion" and the follower, "Lava". The band's debut was very good and got a lot of spins from me when I got it last year, but "Erosion" has the emotional depth that I search for in any album but do not come across it often enough.

If only I had the extra time and money to make it Spain as well...!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
01.09.2009 - 10:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm just proud that a Portuguese band is getting so much attention and recognition abroad

For that, Marcel, thanks for the review.

As for the album, I haven't listened to it and I don't know if I ever will.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.09.2009 - 15:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 01.09.2009 at 10:21

And why don't you know if you ever will?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2009 - 15:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2009 at 15:00

Written by BloodTears on 01.09.2009 at 10:21

And why don't you know if you ever will?

Just because doom metal depresses me so much, that's why I stopped listening to it.
----

My Instagram
01.09.2009 - 16:12
Njord
njord
It's a great album but I need more time to fully understand it. For now I'm still into "Renounce"
01.09.2009 - 16:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Njord on 01.09.2009 at 16:12

It's a great album but I need more time to fully understand it. For now I'm still into "Renounce"

It is less accessible than "Renounce" that is absilutely true. But here Process Of Guilt have fully come into a sound of there own.
Btw, it took me loads and loads of spins to fully grasp "Erosion"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2009 - 17:12
silenius
Will defenitly buy this like, hmm, right now:D
01.09.2009 - 17:26
Njord
njord
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2009 at 16:25

Written by Njord on 01.09.2009 at 16:12

It is less accessible than "Renounce" that is absilutely true. But here Process Of Guilt have fully come into a sound of there own.
Btw, it took me loads and loads of spins to fully grasp "Erosion"

I heard some tracks of Erosion and I found it very different from Renounce.. maybe that's the main reason why I haven't listen it much.
If it is their true and own sound I don't know, but it's definitely one album to listen if you're tired of the same thing over and over.
01.09.2009 - 21:03
Glabrezu
Very nice review Marcel, now I 'm much more interested to be at Madrid's dark fest!!
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
01.09.2009 - 21:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Glabrezu on 01.09.2009 at 21:03

Very nice review Marcel, now I 'm much more interested to be at Madrid's dark fest!!

Process Of Guilt are actually one of the main reasons I am going
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2009 - 21:08
demonseed
It's a pleasure to see so many Process of Guilt fans out there. I strongly recomend label mates Before the Rain, their debut album One Day Less is a fine piece of portuguese metal.

P.S.
Desire - Crowcifix is another amazing release from Portugal ( a portuguese Doom / Dark Scene ??)
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
02.09.2009 - 21:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by demonseed on 02.09.2009 at 21:08

It's a pleasure to see so many Process of Guilt fans out there. I strongly recomend label mates Before the Rain, their debut album Wounds of Rejection is a fine piece of portuguese metal.

P.S.
Desire - Crowcifix is another amazing release from Portugal ( a portuguese Doom / Dark Scene ??)

I still have to check out the latest Desire. I really did like the old stuff they did btw.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2009 - 21:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.09.2009 at 21:30

Written by demonseed on 02.09.2009 at 21:08

It's a pleasure to see so many Process of Guilt fans out there. I strongly recomend label mates Before the Rain, their debut album Wounds of Rejection is a fine piece of portuguese metal.

P.S.

I don't know why we produce so many doom bands, it's so sunny here
I still have to check out the latest Desire. I really did like the old stuff they did btw.
----

My Instagram
02.09.2009 - 22:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 02.09.2009 at 21:52

I don't know why we produce so many doom bands, it's so sunny here

Spain, Israel, Lebanon and even Saudi Arabia produce doom bands. I don't see why a sunny country wouldn't be able to produce them
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2009 - 19:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2009 at 01:39

One thing gotta agree about Process Of Guilt - Erosion is that the production is absolutely top-notch as well.

That was the very first thing I noticed. When I went to their myspace and listened to Lava...
The bass in the intro was so loud in my ears and at that moment I thought "This is special". And I was right, I see what you were coming from with the post-rock/metal and Paradise Lost influences. It's a really unique style.

Thank's for the review, now that I know this band.... I'm sooooo buying this cd.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.09.2009 - 19:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.09.2009 at 19:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2009 at 01:39

That was the very first thing I noticed. When I went to their myspace and listened to Lava...
The bass in the intro was so loud in my ears and at that moment I thought "This is special". And I was right, I see what you were coming from with the post-rock/metal and Paradise Lost influences. It's a really unique style.

Thank's for the review, now that I know this band.... I'm sooooo buying this cd.

And YOU won't be disappointed at all I am sure of that.

They were just confirmed for Dutch Doom Days 2009 in October so not only will I bee seeing them next week Satsurday in Madrid but also on October 24/25 at Dutch Doom Days
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2009 - 19:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.09.2009 at 19:49

And YOU won't be disappointed at all I am sure of that.

One little question... What do you think about their debut? Because Doom/death with Black influences sounds like an awesome experience at night...

Listening to bands like this are the reason to why doom is easily my favorite metal genre ever. I just love the crushing atmosphere. The only genre imho that is untouchable and hasn't turned into a joke because the serious stuff... It's deadly serious
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.09.2009 - 19:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.09.2009 at 19:46

One little question... What do you think about their debut? Because Doom/death with Black influences sounds like an awesome experience at night...

Their two demos have the most black influences in them and they can be downloaded for free from their website.
And Renounce the debut full-length is great as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2009 - 12:17
Slayer666
Just leave it to Marcel to epicly overrate a Doom Metal album
I'm kidding, I didn't hear the thing. But after the review, I'm going to make it a high priority.

Hits total: 11917 | This month: 8